Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 15:07 It is currently 13 May 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1875 [78]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [18]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4898 [10]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 611 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Re: Even though many local residents disagree with the decision, the town [#permalink]
Even though many local residents disagree with the decision, the town council has ordered that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built.

A. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built.

B. the downtown parking rules to be changed, with a new parking garage being built.

C. that the downtown parking rules should be changed and a new parking garage built.

D. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage to be built.

E. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage is built.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE:Design (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Even though many local residents disagree with the decision, the town [#permalink]
nahid78 wrote:
Even though many local residents disagree with the decision, the town council has ordered that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built.

A. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built.

B. the downtown parking rules to be changed, with a new parking garage being built.

C. that the downtown parking rules should be changed and a new parking garage built.

D. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage to be built.

E. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage is built.

Good question, I think the underlined sentence is in command subjunctive form. However, I don't remember the specifics of sentence construction in this form. I will be glad if anyone could share a link to blog post for this sentence form.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A classic case of command subjunctive mood. . Three things are essential to expose subjunctives here. 1. An expression that exposes mandateness explicitly or implictly.2. The connecting subordinate conjunction ‘that’. and 3. the base form of the verb in the sub-clause

A. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built ------- Correct choice that satisfies all the three norms of the command subjunctive. Here built means ‘ be built’

B. the downtown parking rules to be changed, with a new parking garage being built ----hanges meaning to say that council ordered the rules and it also implies that the new garage is already being built. c

C. that the downtown parking rules should be changed and a new parking garage built. ---- Should be changed is not a subjunctive mood idiom.

D. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage to be built. --- infinitives have no place in subjunctives

E. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage is built.----'
is built' is not part of of subjunctive idiom.

Hi,
Can you please explain why we shouldn’t repeat be/is in E option?.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Iamnowjust wrote:
daagh wrote:
A classic case of command subjunctive mood. . Three things are essential to expose subjunctives here. 1. An expression that exposes mandateness explicitly or implictly.2. The connecting subordinate conjunction ‘that’. and 3. the base form of the verb in the sub-clause

A. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built ------- Correct choice that satisfies all the three norms of the command subjunctive. Here built means ‘ be built’

B. the downtown parking rules to be changed, with a new parking garage being built ----hanges meaning to say that council ordered the rules and it also implies that the new garage is already being built. c

C. that the downtown parking rules should be changed and a new parking garage built. ---- Should be changed is not a subjunctive mood idiom.

D. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage to be built. --- infinitives have no place in subjunctives

E. that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage is built.----'

Hi,
Can you please explain why we shouldn’t repeat be/is in E option?.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Iamnowjust ,

The usage of 'Order' (a trigger word) followed by 'that' must ensure a subjunctive verb (i.e a plural verb) , and hence, the usage of singular word 'is' is incorrect.
Also as daagh mentioned " Here built means ‘ be built’ "
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [3]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Veritas official explanation:-

Explanation: In assessing this difficult sentence correction problem, you should first consider the obvious decision points between the answer choices. The most obvious is the choice between “order x to be y” vs. “order that x be y…” The key is not the choice of idioms (which the GMAT rarely tests unless it is a very well known idiom) but rather the parallelism that follows. Answer choice (A) is correct, as it is the only one that maintains parallelism with one of the two idioms: “the town council has ordered that the rules be changed and a new garage ( be) built.” The trick (and what keeps most students from picking it) is that the second “be” is understood and does not have to be written to maintain parallelism. Even if you do not like (A) at first, the other choices contain fatal flaws that would bring you back to the original. In (B), the prepositional phrase “with a new parking garage being built” has nothing to logically modify and does not convey the meaning that the town council has ordered two different things. Also, the “being built” is illogical: the town council cannot order something being built. In (C) the “should” is redundant: you can never say “order that x should do y” - the verb “order” already implies should/must. In (D), the first portion is correct but the “to be” in the second portion is not parallel with the original structure of “be”. In (E) the verb “is” in the second portion needs to be the verb form “be”. You say: “the town council ordered that the garage BE built” not the “town council ordered that the garage IS built.”
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1164 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
thelosthippie wrote:

(A) that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built

(B) the downtown parking rules to be changed, with a new parking garage being built

(C) that the downtown parking rules should be changed and a new parking garage built

(D) that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage to be built

(E) that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage is built

I don't think I'm 100% onboard with this question :?

When I approached this question, I noticed that we were testing parallelism with our answer choices that begun with "that."

In order to test the parallelism in these answer choices, I read the "that" and then what came after the "and" to see if the second item made sense. I eliminated all answer choices.

(A) "the town council ordered... that a new parking garage built"

(C) "the town council ordered... that a new parking garage built"

(A) and (C) are the same in the second item. (C) has redundancy in the first item with the use of the word "should"

I see how the word "that" is understood in the second item after the "and", and isn't necessary to be listed. But I don't know if I subscribe to the explanation that "be" is understood.

I would be happy to be convinced otherwise if someone can provide a similarly formed Official Question.

(D) "the town council ordered... that a new parking garage to be built

(E) "the town council ordered... that a new parking garage is built
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The word "ordered" should ring subjunctive mood bells here and it did. Took me 43 seconds for this.

(A) that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage built -- Don't see any error here. Lets keep it.

(B) the downtown parking rules to be changed, with a new parking garage being built -- Incorrect. "to be" changed "being built". When you have the subjunctive marker (ordered, asked, etc), you don't use "to be", only "be" is used with the simple past verb-tense. Usage of Gerund "being" is also incorrect here. You can't order for something that is being built.

(C) that the downtown parking rules should be changed and a new parking garage built -- Incorrect. "should be" changed is just incompatible here with the subjunctive mood "ordered".

(D) that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage to be built -- Incorrect. "to be" is not parallel with "be changed". We can have either be built or built (think ellipses -- it still makes sense if be is skipped)

(E) that the downtown parking rules be changed and a new parking garage is built -- Incorrect. "is built" is just atrocious. Breaks parallelism as explained in D above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Kudos
Hello experts,
I have a question regarding answer choice A, is the absence of be after a new parking garage acceptable? So, The town council has ordered that the downtown parking rules be changed and the town council has ordered that a new parking garage (built)
How is this possible?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
How do we know, in Option A, built means ‘be built’? I rejected this option only because of the absence of "be". Request experts to please throw some light on this.

daagh wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
How do we know that, in Option A, built means ???be built???? Is there some form of parallelism that "be" has been used in the earlier phrase with the verb "changed" before "and", that has led to omission of "be" before "built"?
I rejected this option only because of the absence of "be". Request experts to please throw some light on this.

While I see a lot of posts have the same mentioned, but none seems to explain the logic.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
How do we know that, in Option A, built means ???be built???? Is there some form of parallelism that "be" has been used in the earlier phrase with the verb "changed" before "and", that has led to omission of "be" before "built"?
I rejected this option only because of the absence of "be". Request experts to please throw some light on this.

While I see a lot of posts have the same mentioned, but none seems to explain the logic.

Hi Pankaj

It always helps to remember that our job on the GMAT is to select the best possible and not the prefect answer option. You are right - "be built" in option (A) would have been ideal and the clear choice. But the exclusion of "be" follows the rules of ellipsis and not wrong. There is no other answer option that is error-free. The only option with "be built" uses the infinitive form, which is clearly incorrect in a subjunctive. Therefore, option (A), though not ideal, is the best available answer option and is also free of errors.

Hope this answers your question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot Srinivasan! This is very helpful. svasan05

svasan05 wrote:
Pankaj0901 wrote:

Hi Pankaj

It always helps to remember that our job on the GMAT is to select the best possible and not the prefect answer option. You are right - "be built" in option (A) would have been ideal and the clear choice. But the exclusion of "be" follows the rules of ellipsis and not wrong. There is no other answer option that is error-free. The only option with "be built" uses the infinitive form, which is clearly incorrect in a subjunctive. Therefore, option (A), though not ideal, is the best available answer option and is also free of errors.

Hope this answers your question.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts