Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: From 650 to 740! Thanks to GMATCLUB.com [#permalink]
@warriorGMAT:
i would say GMATprep verbal is very similar compared to the actual exam. But if you pay close attention you'll observe that SC and CR questions are more or less similar but the RC's are the biggest hurdle in the verbal. Manhattan RC's are extremely tough, especially the long ones. If you can click with the RC, you can get through it in a hurry. If you're an avid reader or can read through newspaper articles at ease, I would suggest you dont even waste your time preparing for them. You can't predict its difficulty.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@masoy:
As i mentioned, if you concentrate real hard on the sentence correction and read between the lines well in CR, you can really crack verbal with some focus and luck on the RC's. Another thing that i did not mention in the post is that, during the break i had a swig of Gatorade and 2 snicker bars, both of which are high in glucose. though i wouldn't attribute my score to Snicker alone :p , maybe it provided the extra push of concentration that was lacking during practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
loki2686 wrote:
@masoy:
As i mentioned, if you concentrate real hard on the sentence correction and read between the lines well in CR, you can really crack verbal with some focus and luck on the RC's. Another thing that i did not mention in the post is that, during the break i had a swig of Gatorade and 2 snicker bars, both of which are high in glucose. though i wouldn't attribute my score to Snicker alone :p , maybe it provided the extra push of concentration that was lacking during practice.

Hi Loki,

Mind sharing some of the prep materials/notes you found helpful?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@BigUp
I used the Manhattan Sentence correction book. For CR, I used the CR bible. Besides, there are a few threads in the download section that provide a file called "cr 700 to 800 level practice questions" and also used the official guide, which can be found easily on the net, just a 170MB download. Used it only for solving practice questions though. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
loki2686 wrote:
Ok, i wont lie. I just happened to stumble upon this site, one dreary night while searching for free downloadable material. Soon, this site was on my bookmarks. I gave my GMAT today, after starting preparation 4 months ago. I had studied a bit for CAT, an exam very common in India, with god level difficulty quant. As per a few suggestions I bought Manhattan books. But I soon realised that this wasn't enough. Manhattan books have ridiculously easy examples that wont feature even in the 300-400 level questions on the actual GMAT. That's precisely where GMATclub proved to be of utmost use with tons of question banks and practice material that would have cost me huge sums otherwise. Yes, the downloadable material is a bit disorganized but if one is willing to search upto the 8 th or the 9 th page, one could really end up with rare gems. Particularly, a thread that contains "hundred important SC question" and "Quant 700- 800 level bank". These were my ultimate lifelines. Most of the questions in these are from the Manhattan GMAT CAT test, so i was kind of disappointed seeing them there while practising my CAT's. But nevertheless, one hardly remembers these question later on so they don't act as spoilers. Given below are my Manhattan Gmat marks and GMAT prep marks. Although i would agree that my final day score is a miracle, in my defence, I had given these tests without learning formulae and revising SC rules and special handmade SC tips and CR notes which also played a crucial role in my success. More so, lady luck fortunes the brave, and I believe if a few guesses turn out to be right, it only covers up for the silly mistakes you have made elsewhere. So it all evens out.
Manhattan CAT #1 650( Q41, V37)
Manhattan CAT #2 670( Q42, V37)
Manhattan CAT #3 690(Q45, V38)
Manhattan CAT #4 Only Quant 47
Manhattan CAT #5 Only verbal 38
Manhattan CAT #6 670(Q43, V37)
GMAT prep #1 690 (Q47, V38)
GMATprep #2 660(Q46, V34)
I was really disappointed with this and even found schools that accept scores around the 650 bracket. But the key was to take it positively and work hard. The last 3 days are the most important, or atleast were, in my case! :)

and here comes the bomb, after 3 days of rigorous mugging of formulae, rules and tips,
Actual GMAT 740(Q47, V45) that is Quant 73 percentile and Verbal 99 percentile.

If you wish, I could tell you the other study material i referred.Once again thank you GMAT club and especially Mr.BB whose posts have been nothing short of gold dust. This is the best website I have come across in my life. I still don't know what KUDOS or LIKES or messages are, but I'll be happy to help and contribute in whatever little way I can. Please feel free to ask me some easy doubts regarding the prep. Ready to help! :)

Congrats for ur score, I want to know more about ur prep in last 3 days....
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Excellent score..which colleges are you targeting?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Verbal 45 is fantastic, you nailed it :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you for replying this post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT Date: 07-04-2013
Send PM
Congrats! great jump :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Congrats man. I recently took my first GMAT and got a 620. I have four months to study and I'm hoping for a 700 so we'll see how it goes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@prateek I really want Stanford or HBS, but i dunno why people end up ridiculing me for it. Need to get in touch with someone who can help me out with all this.
@glen,@joemcmamara,@gemtushar: Thanx guys. :)
@usmanaba: just keep preparing diligently. I am sure you'll succeed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
:-D Well Done Loki 2686!
Wonderful Improvement .

You make mention of five downloands or collections .

1. cr 700 to 800 level practice questions

2. hundred important sc questions

3. quant 700-800 level bank

4. rc 99 , is this by Aristotle ?

5. Official guide download

I have tried , but its like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Can you remembe the name of the original poster or an you please provide the downloads ?

Thanks

Murthi
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ruthamurthi
I did not RC 99.... Umm I'll try posting the link, but it shouldn't be difficult to find the above in the download section of GMATCLUB... I'll try if i can find those pgs again too :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Hi Loki...congrats for such a great score...can you guide how can I increase my speed+accuracy...right now I am taking 4-5 minutes for CR and SC ques....best of luck for apps. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@solanki2803:
Hey dude, m no genius at timing aspects, but while practicing try to limit urself to strictly 2 minutes per question. Such options are available with MGMAT. Initially be prepared to see a pathetic score. But this will give you a fair idea as to how much u need to improve. Secondly, it will also tell u how much time you have in hand for the really difficult type of question. best of luck man!! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts