Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Debrief - Scored 760 (Q50, V42) [#permalink]
Delyoshi, congrats on the awesome score.

However, please note, even a 760 in GMAT cannot guarantee you an interview in the top 10 schools if you are an Indian Male Engineer. You need to be impeccable in your story.

But you have conquered the first step emphatically. You should achieve your goal if you take the next steps carefully. Best of luck..
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Delyoshi wrote:
Before my first GMAT, I took all MGMAT tests and GMATPrep Exam Packs 1 & 2. For practice when building your concepts, I think Manhattan tests are not bad, but I would not recommend taking those after 2 weeks prior to GMAT, as the scores or scoring is nothing like the GMAT. I often felt frustrated and actually never finished the Math section of any MGMAT tests I took, despite almost always 49-51 in GMATClub Quant tests.

Agreed! Thanks for the honest and in-depth review of the materials you used.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Debrief - Scored 760 (Q50, V42) [#permalink]
mcelroytutoring
I wanted to add an extra review of the study material including the Manhattan tests, SC book.

Comments/ Reviews of study material in order of frequency of usage -

a. Manhattan Sentence Correction Guide

I don’t think I need to re-iterate how important this guide. I found that this guide sets the foundation for GMAT Verbal. Once I read the book completely, I basically went through the chapter summary page and tried to remember rules within in each chapter. I wrote them down in the first page of the chapter itself, that way I never read the whole book multiple times. I never memorized any idioms because I think it’s just not efficient to devote so much brain space to memorized idioms, especially as I had to solve a question in the GMAT within 2 minutes.

b. Manhattan GMAT online forum

I think it is easy to say there are some amazing insights in that forum specially on SC and CR for every question out there. Use the comments by experts on each question to full advantage. I highly recommend the insights from RonPurewal.

c. Magoosh Premium - Question bank – Quant and Verbal

This is an amazing question set to have if you have Magoosh premium membership. I invested in Magoosh because I prepared for my GRE using Magoosh subscription and I was amazed by not only their video explanations but also their lessons and detailed blogs. The magoosh blog has some of the most amazing posts on certain specific aspects of GMAT Verbal that everyone must check.

d. My error log spreadsheets

I am big on analyzing every step I take during exam prep. So I prepared my own error tracker. It helped me rate myself on each question. I always did 40-50 questions at a time and used https://www.online-stopwatch.com/split-timer/ using their split countdown timer to time myself. I used to take that record of timing and save it in my spread sheet along with details of error type on each question. I would paste every question in my spreadsheet and summarize its difficulty and where I went wrong. In the end, I could see which strategies worked for me and which didn’t. I also tracked the difficulty level of each question and average timing per question type in CR.

e. LSAT CR Questions

Along with Magoosh questions, LSAT CR questions on the internet were my go-to resource for CR preparation. CRs were surprisingly my weakest area in GMAT. LSAT CR was a great resource which someone pointed out in one of the de-brief posts.

f. GMATClub SC Collections (Question collections contributed Sondenso)

Simply amazing work! These were my go-to resource for GMAT SC strategies practice. Thanks GMATClub !

g. GMATClub Quant Tests

I bought these as last resort to improve my quant. I scored only 49/50 or 51 throughout these tests which gave me lots of confidence. Given that I never scored below 49 or seldom below 50 I began to doubt if my performance in these tests was representative of my capabilities on the GMAT. But still, I highly recommend doing these tests daily.

h. Manhattan Tests

I took all the tests before the first GMAT and one of the tests before the second GMAT. You can get best out of these tests by looking at the general assessment reports, which are probably the best analytics tool around better than GMATClub mistake analysis tool.

i. GMATClub Verbal Tests

I used these tests to track my mistake areas. I wasn’t too sure if the question I was solving were right or wrong, as each question in the GMATClub Verbal tests is followed by posters commenting on question quality. But more important is to use the mistakes analysis section of GMATClub verbal tests to analyse your weak areas and redo the incorrect questions in the end.

j. OG Verbal and Quant Guides along with GMATClub OG Error tracker files

While everyone out there would say that these should be your top resource for GMAT prep, I think these are good to get you off the ground when you start but just not enough for continuous practice. As pointed by almost every high scorer, read and then re-read every answer that GMAT provides.

Originally posted by Delyoshi on 04 Aug 2016, 23:58.
Last edited by Delyoshi on 05 Aug 2016, 00:14, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Debrief - Scored 760 (Q50, V42) [#permalink]
himpuju

I am an Indian male engineer, but with a non-IT (IIT) background which might be a bit of advantage (or so I think/hope :P). But you are right there are bazillions of us out there, each better than the next, so the story has to be impeccable. I will try to ensure a consistent story/essays as I fine tune my essays over next month. Fingers crossed !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Congratulations, Delyoshi! What an amazing score you got right there!

It looks like you've always nailed in quant and you definitely had to skyrocket on your verbal.

Could you pls share your error log with us? thx!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
diegocml wrote:
Congratulations, Delyoshi! What an amazing score you got right there!

It looks like you've always nailed in quant and you definitely had to skyrocket on your verbal.

Could you pls share your error log with us? thx!

diegocml

Yes, my quant was good generally but towards the end of my prep there were a lot of pacing issues I faced especially in gmatclub tests. I could complete all the questions but always screwed up last few questions which brought the score down.

I am attaching my error log for CR questions, as you had asked. You will find that I tracked almost all CR questions as CR was my worst topic. I created a copy of this document for SC as well. In the document you will find that I have tracked, times in each question type, difficulty and error type. It was fun to notice that my time per question kept going down the more questions I solved :)

Then I used the overall analysis tab for getting a gist/summary of my errors and error types. Hope this is something you can relate to or at least helpful to you.
Attachments

CR_ErrorLog.xlsx [121.61 KiB]
Downloaded 146 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Hi Delyoshi, thanks a lot. Your error log is very insightful .

I may do something similar to your tracker as soon as I start working on official exercises. Meanwhile I am working on other text books and I think it'd be too time consuming to track everything. Plus, I'm not sure whether it'd have any benefit.

Congrats once again and good luck with your applications!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
diegocml
Thanks ! Now that I think about it, I focused a lot on narrowing down my weaknesses. Using that error log and analysis I did in there, I found that Assumption and Weaken questions (of medium to hard level) were my main problems. After that it was easy going. My method was - Look at answers, make a simple structure that works, remember the type of options that appear for these questions and narrow down every question to two options (then you have 50% chance of being right).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Congratulations! 760 is a great score.
Can you share some insights on what lsat books for CR did u refer to?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dn20

I used the LSAT questions freely available on online forums actually. Didn't use any specific books.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM