Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions [#permalink]
I wanted to bump this thread again and see how many are in my situation.

6 years on H1b expired and I had to temporarily relocate out of the country in 2011. Meanwhile, company filed for labor and I had my I 140 approved.
I returned back to the US in couple of months (did not have to wait the year) with a new H1B that has a span of 3 years. I have used close to over a year on this visa and plan to switch to F1 to start my FT MBA in August.
Question 1) post-graduation do I get to start on my H1B right away or do I need to wait till Oct till a new H1b is issued
Question 2) I was told that when I start with the new company post MBA I could use the old labor date but does this have to be in the same line of work. Most of us full timers are career changers and so getting clarification on this is important.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 12-20-2012
WE:Marketing (Transportation)
Send PM
I'm in a similar situation and would like some feedback, would I have enough H1-B left post-MBA?

- I'm on H-1B right now with an approved I-140, priority date 06/2012
- I am applying for 2014 admission.
- I have a Master Degree in the US and have used all my CPT and OPT (12 months) during my 1st Master's Degree, in 2008
- I started my H-1B in 10/2010, so I already had my first 3-year extension filed in 10/2012, and if I go to school in 07/2014, I will only have 1 year and 3 months left in my 6-year H1-B time.
- Is the 1year 3 months H-1B time enough for me to find another H-1B after I graduate in 2016 and use my 06/2012 priority date?

Thanks,
qs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi everyone.

I have query on H1B -> F1 ->H1B durations. Currently I'm working on H1B for past 6 months. I have H1B visa till 09/2015 (3yr). I want to join FT MBA next year. If I join in MBA during my current valid H1B period, will I loose my left over duration on my 1st H1B from total 6 yrs.

E.g.: I have worked on H1B for 1yr 9months of total 3yr's valid H1B
Moved F1 for pursuing FT MBA.

At this point, will loose remaining 1yr. 3months of H1B of total 6 yr's.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jsushel09 wrote:
Hi everyone.

I have query on H1B -> F1 ->H1B durations. Currently I'm working on H1B for past 6 months. I have H1B visa till 09/2015 (3yr). I want to join FT MBA next year. If I join in MBA during my current valid H1B period, will I loose my left over duration on my 1st H1B from total 6 yrs.

You will not lose any time left on your H1B. When you change from H1B->F1 any remaining time on your H1B visa gets 'frozen' and can be used once you change back from F1->H1B.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Query - H1-approved I140-> to F1-> to possibility of again getting new H1 without going outside US?

I am on H1 for the past 7 yrs since 2006 and I have approved I-140 based on which my company got me 3 years more extension after I finished 6 yrs H1 quota. Now, I want to quit my job and do full time MBA here in US by next August 2014. I know changing status to F1 will be very difficult with I-140 approved but if I succeed in getting F1 and then finish my 2 yr MBA. After that, if I am recruited by a company on my OPT who wants to sponsor my H1 "again" (fresh H1), then is it even possible legally for me to switch again from F1 to H1 easily staying here in US without leaving the country at all? I read somewhere that I might have to stay outside US for 1 year but I don't know how true is this statement. Also, let me know - can my current employer "cancel" my approved I-140 if I go for a 2 year MBA -OR- they cannot cancel it and will my current priority date still be valid forever?

Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I have applied for COS from H1 to F1.

I wanted to quit the job but not sure which status will i be in after quiting job. The COS status transfer is in process. and i havent yet recieved the reciept.

My classes are starting next week and need an urgent help. If i can quit my job and start classes even if my F1 approval hasent been recieved.

If i quit my job, on what status will i be? Does employer cancels H1 VISA? I have very less time to take a decision. Please help urgently..

Thanks..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Aishwaryaaish wrote:
Hi,

I have applied for COS from H1 to F1.

I wanted to quit the job but not sure which status will i be in after quiting job. The COS status transfer is in process. and i havent yet recieved the reciept.

My classes are starting next week and need an urgent help. If i can quit my job and start classes even if my F1 approval hasent been recieved.

If i quit my job, on what status will i be? Does employer cancels H1 VISA? I have very less time to take a decision. Please help urgently..

Thanks..

You cannot quit your H1B job if you have not received a receipt for the COS. If you do so, you will be out of status.
Once you receive the COS receipt you can terminate your H1B employment.

In your situation, it is best if you speak to an immigration attorney ASAP.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

1 more question here:

I have H1B. Utilised 2.5 yrs so far. Petition/approval notice/I797 expires in last week of Jan 2014. I have my masters starting in Jan 2014. 2 questions here:

a) Can I re-use left over period of H1 i.e. 3.5 yrs (6-2.5) post my MS.
b) if (a) is true, then is it necessary to file for H1 extension now so as to be able to re-use left over time on CAP exempt option post my MS..?? I also need to get my I-20. What if it clashes

thanks,
Neeraj

Zynga wrote:
jsushel09 wrote:
Hi everyone.

You will not lose any time left on your H1B. When you change from H1B->F1 any remaining time on your H1B visa gets 'frozen' and can be used once you change back from F1->H1B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Hi all,

I had a quick question regarding MBA students who previously were under H-1B status but currently are under F-1 status - I've heard the number of "2 years" being put out there as the minimum amount of time employers would like applicants have left on their previous H-1B visa before hiring them.

Is this pretty set in stone? Do employers ask students how much time they have left on their visa before granting interviews/making offers? Have you heard of students being turned away due to having less than 2 years on their H-1B?

I have less than 2 years and am trying to get a sense of what my options are... Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Schools: AGSM '16
[quote="psup"]Hi all,

I had a quick question regarding MBA students who previously were under H-1B status but currently are under F-1 status - I've heard the number of "2 years" being put out there as the minimum amount of time employers would like applicants have left on their previous H-1B visa before hiring them.

Is this pretty set in stone? Do employers ask students how much time they have left on their visa before granting interviews/making offers? Have you heard of students being turned away due to having less than 2 years on their H-1B?

I have less than 2 years and am trying to get a sense of what my options are... Thank you![/quote

Bumped ...any help fellow GMATclubbers?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
I need some info on H1 to F1 transfer. Please help.
I am planning to start MBA next yr and I'll complete 5 yr 4 months on H1 by then. Can I change my status to F1? What is the process? Can I get OPT/CPT post MBA & then an H1? What is the duration for OPT/CPT? MBA isn't STEM hence no OPT ext allowed.
I have not started GC process with my employer.
I see lot of employers need at least 2 yrs on H1 to hire you.

There are lot of employers with offices in Canada. Is going to Canada an option post mba?

Also, I heard that if your current employer gives u future employment then u don't have any problem for H1 post mba? Although I don't think it's an option with my employer but I can still check once I get admission offer.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Jones '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi ,

I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on the F1 visa interivew Qs they might ask if you are a H1b to F1 convert. I plan to get my F1 stamped in india and not change the status by staying here. Will they treat me as a potential immigrant since I've worked here on H1b? And if such a question is raised, what is the best answer I can provide? Any insights will be helpful.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
Here is my update - I decided it would be best to try from India. Personal reasons aside, it made more common sense for me to leave my job and I am now safely back home :lol:
MIT has not sent me an I20 yet but I plan to apply at the Mumbai consulate. If someone else has experience or appointment please let me know.

Hi !

When you went for the F1 stamping in india, did they ask you any specific Qs relating to H1 to F1 convert? i.e. did they treat as a potential immigrant bcos of your previous H1b work experience? Am currenty on H1b working in usa. leaving the onsite project for good this month and applying for fresh f1 from india in may. How well should i be prepared for any such h1-f1 questions? any advice from your interview experience in bombay will be helpful!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V37
Send PM
Bumping this thread. Could someone who went through the process (probably last year) of H1 to F1 conversion with an approved I140 post here about the experience of either visa stamping at an Indian consulate OR getting a Change of Status done?

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V37
Send PM
seattleindian wrote:
Bumping this thread. Could someone who went through the process (probably last year) of H1 to F1 conversion with an approved I140 post here about the experience of either visa stamping at an Indian consulate OR getting a Change of Status done?

Thanks !

Bump !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
I have applied for H1 to F1 Change of Status. USCIS received my application on 3/31/14 & sent me receipt number too. I20 start date is 8/11/14. If I don't get my COS approval by 8/11 then my H1 will be invalid on 8/11.

I have couple of questions -
1) Can I quit my job on H1 in June end? I'll be very close to my start date too. Students with F1 stamped can't enter US 30 days before start date.
2) If I get F1 approval tomorrow, will my H1 become invalid the next day? I think my H1 is still valid untill F1 start date. But your last approved status is considered to be current.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
seattleindian wrote:

Thanks !

I got my F1 approved through COS and got my F1 visa stamped during my visit to India in December.
The stamping process was pretty straightforward. Standard questions :
1) Which school ?
2) Why MBA ?
3) Why now ?
4) Is your family traveling with you ?
5) Status of spouse
6) How will you fund your education ?

If you have an approved F1 via COS , if you have already spent a semester/quarter at business school and if you have all your papers in order - the stamping process should be a cakewalk.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9