Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [6995]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V31
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I also got 6 in AWA. Here are my thoughts

AWA - Here are my notes that i used for the exam

Points to note:
1) Write at least 4-5 paragraphs. I normally wrote 4 paras.
- In the first para, I re-iterated what the author concluded or recommended. Then explained the evidence the author gave to support the conclusion. In the end, I focused on suggesting that the conclusion is flawed and the reasons are explained in the following paragraphs
- Second and third paras, I attacked two or three flaws or discussed the unstated assumptions that the author has not considered.
- Forth para, I said that the argument is flawed and then gave reasons as to how can the author make the argument more logically acceptable.

You can used any of the examples in different paras to create the structure of the essay. I practised around 20 paras before the exam so that the main structure was embedded in my brain and I just needed to identify the flaws and logically argue those points.

Para 1
- Citing facts drawn from the....
- In the argument, the author concludes that [X is Y]. The conclusion is based on the following two facts: (1) [Fact 1] ; (2) [Fact 2]
- [X] recommends that...... To support this recommendation, the author points out that....
- Based on [X], the author predicts/recommends/concludes that [X is Y]
- The line of reasoning is problematic for several reasons.
- The conclusion is not warranted by the evidence and is unconvincing for several reasons
- Neither of the reasons provide sufficient support
- This conclusion is not convincing as it stands

Para 2 and 3
- First of all, the author's conclusion goes beyond the evidence.
- Secondly, the author fails to mention/consider/establish [X] and/or [Y]
- The author's argument is based on the assumption [X]
- The only reason offered by the author is the claim that.....
- Withoug compelling evidence to support this critical assumption, the author's recommendation/conclusion is not worthy of consideration.
- But the authors generalisation is based on [X] is unreliable
- The statistics cited in the [X] maybe misleading because .....
- The problem with the argument is that [X] is/are not necessarily representative of the views of [Y] in general.

Para 4
- The conclusion is not convincing as it stands
- Consequently, I am not convinced that .....
- In conclusion, to convince me that [X], the author would have to provide evidence that.....
- In conclusion, the argument is weak. To make the argument more logically acceptable, the author must demonstrate that.....
- In addition, to further strengthen the argument, the author must provide evidence to show that....
- The argument is weak because it depends on an oversimplified assumption about the causal connection between [X] and [Y]. To strengthen the argument, the author must identify and explore relevant factors beyond [X] before concluding [Y]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
https://tips00.blogspot.in/2012/08/how-t ... -gmat.html

The argument that <restate argument> omits some very important considerations that are necessary to get a full 360-degree view of the described scenario. The argument does not provide substantive evidence to be able to prove or even support the main conclusion from the given premises.

First, the argument readily assumes that…

Second, the argument claims that…

Lastly, the argument fails to account for the fact that…

In summary, the argument is extremely flawed because of the above-mentioned reasons and hence comes across as weak and unconvincing to the reader. If the author had mentioned all the relevant facts that are essential to objectively assess the situation under consideration, the argument would have been much stronger. Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.

 Now that you’ve typed out your template, take 3-4 mins to read the question and JOT DOWN 3 loopholes. Write them down on your scratchpad, do not memorize.
 Fill in the <restate argument> part in the introduction.

The argument claims <restate argument> omits some very important considerations that are essential to get a full 360-degree view of the described scenario. The argument does not provide substantial evidence to be able to prove or even support the main conclusion from the given premises.

First, the argument readily assumes that…<The assumed cause-effect relationship>
There could be multiple reasons for...<The assumed blah blah...>. For example..... <for loophole 1> Another example..... <for loophole 2>. Hence, the argument fails to convince the reader that… <The assumed cause-effect relationship>

Second, the argument claims that… <Any secondary assumed cause-effect relationship>. <Discuss it again as loophole 3. Give example as well.> This is again a very weak and flimsy assertion as it does not portray any correlation between <cause> and <effect>

Lastly, the argument fails to account for…<negative effect of cause> Without backing evidences and examples from <any related area>, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence. As a consequence, this conclusion has no legs to stand on.

In a nutshell, the argument is extremely flawed because of the above-mentioned reasons and hence appear as fragile and questionable to the reader. If the author had come up with relevant facts necessary to objectively assess the situation under consideration, the argument would have been much credible. Without this information, the argument remains sceptical and open to debate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Yale '17
GMAT Date: 12-23-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is Chineseburned AWA guide in pdf format. :lol:
Attachments

File comment: Chineseburned AWA guide pdf
Guide to Perfect 6.pdf [433.94 KiB]
Downloaded 1207 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Kudos
chineseburned wrote:
Guide to Perfect 6.0 AWA GMAT Score

Related AWA Resources:

I took the GMAT twice and scored 6.0 each time. I did put a lot of time in it the first time....too much actually. Being a non-native speaker and having not written a damn essay (of any kind) in many many years, I was very scared of the AWA. So, I went through every guide that I could find and wrote nearly 25-30 essays. Even had a friend grade them for me.....Pathetic, huh?

Anyway, for my second time, I just looked over my templates I created and wrote one of each the day before test just to refresh my memory on faster typing without making too many typos......

So, here it is....Enjoy, and please do not blame me if the 6.0 percentile goes down to 80 soon :-D

AWA GUIDE

by Chineseburned

1. General Structure

Intro - Restate argument, point out flaws or state intention to discuss them below
1st Para - First,...
2nd Para - Second/In addition,...
3rd Para - Third/Finally,...
Conclusion - The argument is flawed/weak/unconvincing because of the above -mentioned...Ultimately, the argument can be strengthened if/by...

2. Structural Word (should be all over the essays)

1. Supporting examples - for example, to illustrate, for instance, because, specifically
  2. Additional support - furthermore, in addition, similarly, just as, also, as a result, moreover
  3. Importance - surely, truly, undoubtedly, clearly, in fact, most importantly
  4. Contrast - on the contrary, yet, despite, rather, instead, however, although, while
  5. Decide against - one cannot deny that, it could be argued that, granted, admittedly
  6. Ying-yang - on the one hand/on the other hand
  7. Concluding - therefore, in summary, consequently, hence, in conclusion, ultimately, in closing

3. Templates

Intro:
The argument claims that ....(restate)
Stated in this way the argument:
a) manipulates facts and conveys a distorted view of the situation
b) reveals examples of leap of faith, poor reasoning and ill-defined terminology
c) fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated
The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is weak/unconvincing and has several flaws.

1st Para:
First, the argument readily assumes that......
This statement is a stretch....
For example,...
Clearly,...
The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated that...

2nd Para:
Second, the argument claims that....
This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between....and...
To illustrate,...
While,...
However,....indeed....
In fact, it is not at all clear...rather....
If the argument had provided evidence that.....then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

3rd Para:
Finally,...
(pose some questions for the argument).....Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts....
In order to assess the merits of a certain situation/decision, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors. In this particular case....
Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.

4. Going from the templates to full-fledged essays

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in the editorial section of a national news magazine:[/b]

"The rating system for electronic games is similar to the movie rating system in that it provides consumers with a quick reference so that they can determine if the subject matter and contents are appropriate. This electronic game rating system is not working because it is self regulated and the fines for violating the rating system are nominal. As a result an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that knowingly violate the rating system should be prohibited from releasing a game for two years."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
Quote:
The argument claims that the electronic games rating system, although similar to the movie rating system, is not working because it is self regulated and violation fines are nominal, Hence, the gaming rating system should be overseen by an independent body. Stated in this way the argument fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion relies on assumptions, for which there is no clear evidence. Therefore, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing, and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that because the electronic game rating system is self regulated, it is not working well. This statement is a stretch and not substantiated in any way. There are numerous examples in other areas of business or commerce, where the entities are self regulated and rather successful. For instance, FIA, the Formula1 racing organization is self regulated. Yet, the sport is very popular and successful, drawing millions of spectators around the world each year. Tickets are rather expensive, races are shown on pay-per-view, and nearly all drivers are paid very well. Another example is the paralleled movie rating system that the argument mentions. The author fails to clarify whether it is working well, but it is clear that the movie rating system is pretty well received by people, who often base their decisions to go see a movie with kids or not on the movie rating. It has never been a case when someone would feel cheated by the movie rating and express disappointment afterwards. Since the movie rating system is also self regulated, it follows that this regulatory method is working pretty well and it is not obvious how it can be the reason for the poor electronic game rating system. The argument would have been much clearer if it explicitly gave examples of how the self regulatory system led to bad ratings and customer dissatisfaction.

Second, the argument claims that any violation fees for bad electronic game ratings are nominal. It thus suggests that this is yet another reason for the rating system not working. This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between the monetary amount of the fines and the quality of the electronic game rating system. In fact, the argument does not even draw a parallel with the mentioned movie rating system and its violation fines. If any such correlation had been shown for the movie rating system, which supposedly works well, then the author would have sounded a bit more convincing. In addition, if the argument provided evidence that low violation fines lead to electronic game manufacturers to ignore any regulations with respect to the game rating system, the argument could have been strengthened even further.

Finally, the argument concludes that an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that violate the rating system, should be punished. From this statement again, it is not at all clear how an independent regulatory body can do a better job than a self regulated one. Without supporting evidence and examples from other businesses where independent regulatory bodies have done a great job, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence. As a result, this conclusion has no legs to stand on.

In summary, the argument is flawed and therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. In order to assess the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors.

5. Final tips

• During the tutorial type in a few sentences in the mock essay window to get used to the keyboard.
  • Again during the tutorial, jot down on your notebook the basic structure of your essays or the opening sentences in case you get too nervous and forget them when the clock starts ticking.
  • Write as much as you can. Try to write at least 500 words per essay.
  • Always have the e-rater in mind as your potential reviewer. Remember that the human rater will make every effort to grade just like the e-rater. In that sense, keep your structure and volume in mind over actual quality/content.
  • Be careful of spelling mistakes. Double check words that you normally know you misspell (e.g. exercise). Try to finish 2-3 minutes before time is up so you can slowly re-read your essay for the purposes of spell checking. Do not reorganize/delete sentences/paragraphs with less than 2 min left.
  • No matter how great you thought your essays went, try to stay humble and focused - remember this was just a warm-up and the real stuff hasn't started yet!

Good luck!

I think the Kudos (highest ever) speak for themselves about this brilliant post.
Great Job!

However, if i may, a small SC error that was kind of poking me, is mentioned below (highlighted above too)

"Therefore, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing, and has several flaws."

Parallelism error ( 'weak' 'convincing' not parallel with the phrase ' has several flaws' )

Nevermind :)

I would rather place the above template as an amazing art of work. ( No reverse causation for the last 4 words please :-D )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks so much for this. I scored a 6.0 on the AWA. I followed the template and totally ripped apart the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thank you so much chineseburned! I got a 6.0 on the essay! I followed your template but added the additional paragraph that Veritas recommended. For those studying for the exam, this is the breakdown of my essay on test day:

Introduction: Restated the argument and pointed out the flaws.

Para 2: The most serious and obvious flaw that I saw in the argument - CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION. (I agree with a previous post. If your argument doesn't have a correlation/causation flaw then don't force this issue)

Para 3: The 2nd obvious flaw - applying a general rule to the entire population.

Para 4: Other factors that the author did not take into account that could affect the result. (EX: Not just the company's expense will affect the bottom line....other factors includes competition, the sales team, marketing, social media, etc.)

Para 5: Stating the argument does have some merit...but the author needs to provide additional evidence to support this conclusion. This paragraph wasn't that long...maybe 3 sentences MAX.

Conclusion: My conclusion paragraph was only 2 sentences and I simply restated the intro but changed up the wording.

Some final thoughts:
-I wrote over 600 words. (Write until you are right!)
-I only had 3 minutes left for proof-reading, which wasn't enough time to go thru the entire essay (but apparently it didn't affect my grade).
-I heavily used COPY and PASTE on exam day. This definitely saved me some time. I didn't abbreviate any titles or phrases.
-I practiced writing at least 3 essays before game day. So don't spend too much time studying the essay. Just memorize the template and use your valuable time to study the verbal and quant.
-6.0 was 92% percentile
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.28
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Bookmarks
OFFICIAL FRAME FOR GMAT WRITING MODIFIED A LITTLE BIT BY ME (5.5 WRITING)
CHINESEBURN'S TEMPLATE STILL WORKS VERY VERY VERY WELL IN 2015.
THANK YOU SO MUCH

Introduction
1. According to the argument,…
2. Stated in this way, the argument fails to mention several key issues, on the basis of which it could be more comprehensively evaluated.
3. The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is not enough clear evidence. As a result, the argument has a few faults and becomes weak and unconvincing.

Body
Para 1:
1. To begin with, the argument readily assumes that…
2. While this assumption is tempting, it is by no means a certainty.
3. To illustrate,…
4. Clearly,…
5. The argument would be more airtight if it explicitly gave more information about…
Para 2:
1. Moreover, the argument claims that…
2. This is also a weak and unsupported claim because it does not fully demonstrate correlation among/between…and…
3. In fact,…
4. If any such correlation were addressed, the author would sound a bit more convincing.
Para 3:
1. Finally, the argument concludes that
2. From this statement again, it is not at all clear how … can...
3. Without sufficient and careful consideration of other…, the argument is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive claim.
Conclusion
1. In conclusion, the argument is faulty for the above stated reasons and is therefore unpersuasive. It could be considerably reinforced if it more thoroughly addressed all relevant factors directly influencing…
2. In order to access merits of any situation, it is essential to comprehend all contributing factors.
3. Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM