Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [5]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [7]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q160 V162
GPA: 3.94
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi everyone,

Got an admit email today morning 5 am... Round 2 applicant from India..

Good luck everyone, hope to see y'all there! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [4]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Just Got an email!! IN!!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in. Got the email a few hours ago, but no phone call.

It's been 18 months, dinged six times without interviews, four GMAT attempts, laid-off and I am finally into a top 20 business school. Such a stress relief.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
580 GMAT Admitted with Fellowship at Mccomb. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Third bleeping waitlist. I'm exhausted from these already. I almost wish I got rejected everywhere so that I could just move on with my life.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Send PM
Kudos

Originally posted by McCombsStudent2015 on 29 Oct 2013, 12:58.
Last edited by McCombsStudent2015 on 04 Nov 2013, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I just got the call and was admitted! Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Kudos
saadmfarooq wrote:
only 7 admits so far , no calls or emails today

please don't forget to update rest of the guys on the forum

Admitted! :) Received a call from Brodie today. No email yet. It looks like they are making calls/emails as they get through each application through the 20th.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
The hour of notifications is nigh,
We are almost to the end of round one;
Whether an admit, waitlist, or deny,
At least all of the waiting will be done!

This forum has been a source of support,
Seriously folks it's been lotsa fun;
When y'all are notified please here report,
Wishing the very best to all...Hook'em!

-teleste '13
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-01-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Interview debrief:

I applied in R1, received an invite to interview in late October. I interviewed in mid November, over Skype, with a 2nd year student. I live within a few hours drive of Austin, but I was unable to make the trip for an in-person interview. Overall, I did horribly in the interview. I was less prepared due to work demands, last minute room change before interview, never having interviewed on skype before, etc. The interviewer was very nice, it was very laid back (though I wasn't relaxed), the questions were pretty standard:

-Why an MBA now?
-What do you want to see in your fellow students?
-What will you bring to this program?
-How would you contribute to the school as a student?
-At a party, how would you introduce yourself/what topic would you bring up to talk about? *this one threw me, I gave a really lame, discombobulated answer about how it depends on what type of party/who is there, and something about how I would talk about work (which I most likely wouldn't do). I think I just made it so confusing the interviewer moved on out of mercy.
- If you had 2 round trip tickets to anywhere, where would you go and who would you take?
-Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 yrs?
-What are 3 of your strongest qualities?
-Weaknesses?

*this link has a good list of questions https://blog.clearadmit.com/category/int ... l/mccombs/

The interview only lasted 20 minutes, maybe slightly longer but it was under 25. And that was after the interviewer had answered my questions.

Needless to say, I thought the interview sealed my fate, especially since my scores/gpa aren't amazing. I was mad at myself for opting for Skype, I thought that they might hold it against me/not think I was serious about the program. I also got dinged from Duke, so that added to my anxiety. Leading up to the notification date, I was on this thread constantly checking posts. It was torturous to see others receiving news well before the Dec 20th notification. Compounding the misery was the lack of uniformity- some people just logged in to see their status updated, others had calls, others had an email, etc. I was about to start drowning my sorrows when I got the admit email at 4:55pm CST on the 20th.

So, never lose hope! Even if you have a bad interview or don't interview well, my feeling is that they must already be leaning a certain way before your interview. There's just no way I would have been admitted if the interview was weighed more heavily.

PM me for more detail on scores, background, titles etc

Originally posted by AnonIsab on 27 Jan 2014, 08:28.
Last edited by AnonIsab on 27 Jan 2014, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Kudos
Good morning all!

At the request of jkaustubh, I am here to report on my McCombs interview experience. In a nutshell: a very disappointing experience and easily the worst interview of my b-school application experience. (Yes, I was wait listed; no, the school's decision does not color this report; yes, take my comments with a grain of salt.)

1. Location

I'm in Colorado; my interviewer was in Austin.

2. Interview Type: Skype/On Campus etc

Skype.

3. Number of panelists

One.

4. Adcom/Students/ Alumns etc

A second-year student.

5. Your take from the interview

The first thing that threw me off was an email about 10 minutes before our interview saying my interviewer couldn't find a copy of my resume in the system for some reason, so I sent him one right away. Don't know whether he had a chance to look at it before we spoke. Having done a few Skype interviews in the preceding weeks, I had a basic idea of what to expect: someone in a suit or business casual dress in an office or study room, running through a list of questions and taking notes as we talked. Instead, my interviewer popped up on the screen wearing a hoodie and messy hair, apparently in a dark apartment somewhere. Our conversation started normally enough, but after a couple intro questions (walk me through your resume, why UT, etc.), he was flipping through his list of questions and saying things like "That's a dumb question, I don't feel like asking you that." It eventually devolved into him staring at the screen and mumbling "Let's see, what else can I ask you?"

I had learned from a couple prior interviews with second-year students at other schools that sometimes the interviewee needs to manage the interviewer and work to keep the conversation going a little more than with an adcom member, but it was awful. Because of the time slot I picked I was probably his last interview of the day, and the entire time he seemed preoccupied, like he just wanted to get it over with so he could get back to studying or whatever he had planned. There was no energy on his side of the conversation. After being accepted to Cornell and Michigan with a scholarship, I was honestly not surprised at all to be wait listed at McCombs based on my experience that day.

If I could offer Texas one piece of constructive criticism, it would be this: Remember that the second-year students that interview applicants are also ambassadors of the program. Yes, they are there to judge applicants on fit and worthiness to be admitted, but applicants are also using the time and their interactions with the interviewer to judge whether the program is a good fit for them. I found it was not, and apparently the feeling was mutual, so no hard feelings.

6. Duration

Approx. 40 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.56
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
delijamal wrote:
Got interview invite today! I really do like McCombs, but already in several other schools so I don't know if I should take time to prepare again...

I'm sorry, but I find this statement to be very arrogant. If you have already been accepted to other schools and you are neutral or lukewarm about McCombs, please withdraw your application so those of us who are very interested in the program may stand a better chance. Personally, it is very frustrating to be checking my inbox religiously hoping for the interview invite and reading about someone who may not even give the school a second thought.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
BizSchoolorBust wrote:
delijamal wrote:
Got interview invite today! I really do like McCombs, but already in several other schools so I don't know if I should take time to prepare again...

I'm sorry, but I find this statement to be very arrogant. If you have already been accepted to other schools and you are neutral or lukewarm about McCombs, please withdraw your application so those of us who are very interested in the program may stand a better chance. Personally, it is very frustrating to be checking my inbox religiously hoping for the interview invite and reading about someone who may not even give the school a second thought.

delijamal is in an envious position, but isn't being arrogant or flaunting it in the face of those who haven't been invited. The time and expense required to interview, especially on campus for applicants living outside of central Texas, is a real commitment. Even if he (or she) regards McCombs as highly as the rest of us, which he does indicate in the post, it's still a tough decision to make with acceptances in hand.

Many people will get accepted to McCombs and choose to go elsewhere. That's just the way the process works. The admissions staff accounts for it in their interview and acceptance rates. All you can do is look out for your own best interests while supporting others on these boards who are doing the same. That said, I'm in the same boat waiting for an interview invite, and completely understand the frustration. Hope you get good news soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-01-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
McCombs jumped up two spots in the US News ranking! Now #15 :) :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Long time lurker first time poster (on this thread) I'm in!!! R2 waitlist! Dont lose hope guys! Good news are coming!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.56
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
To all current and future applicants:

I wanted to write this because I was unhappy about my experience in applying to Texas. To put it succinctly, I submitted an online video for essay one and I know through YouTube analytics that the most anyone from Texas watched the video was 16 seconds (of a one minute video.) The reason I bring this up is because I spent untold number of hours preparing my application and spending $175 to apply, and I feel that if the school could not spend a full minute watching my video, what does that say about the rest of my application? I don't know any more information about what happened with my application, but I was extremely disappointed. I know there was a lot of talk about Texas being inundated with more applicants than expected, but if true, it does not change my opinion on my treatment. Frankly, if the school could not handle the applicant load and properly review my application, they should have been forthright and refunded my money.

I debated whether to write this post, as I am afraid it will come across as a disgruntled applicant who didn't get in. I would have loved to go to Texas and I do not harbor any ill will towards the school. Furthermore, I am fortunate to be going to a school that I know wants to do everything to make me happy and successful. I just wanted to post this so those who may also feel they were mistreated are not alone and for any future applicants to please consider how a school treats you as part of the decision-making process.

Thank you for reading.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.71
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I also had an incorrect name in the interview invitation salutation. Mine was addressed to Divya, which is not my name. Were all of the incorrect names the same?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts