Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: Full-Time Admissions Round 2 Update

For more application info and other deadlines, visit
Applying to McCombs.

Greetings from Austin! We are super excited about our second round of Full-Time MBA application submissions and wanted to share some information about the applicant pool and next steps for our applicants.

Round 2 was one for the history books, with over 1,000 applications submitted and lots of #WhyTexas love. A key highlight from this round was the number of international applicants, which made up 45% of the total from this round and represent nearly four dozen countries.

From a next steps perspective, we will start to invite applicants for interviews next week and will continue to release interview invitations through the end of the round. Interview options for this round include: on campus, Skype, off campus with our alumni in various cities, and off campus with admissions officers in selected cities (Shanghai, Seoul, New York, DC, San Francisco, Dallas, and Houston).

For some helpful tips from our A-Team on making a positive impression during your interview, check out our recent blog post, “MBA Admissions Interview: How to Totally Crush It“.

Here are some more next steps to take as you await your possible interview invitation.

Pay application fee: Your application fee payment is not necessary by the application deadline. Within three business days of submission of your application, log onto the “What I Owe” UT payment website to pay your application fee. Your fee status on the application checklist should reflect “Paid” within two business days of payment. Please note that paymentof the fee is required in order for your application to be evaluated and a decision rendered.

Upload transcript to UT – GIAC: After you have submitted your application and paid the application fee, you will receive an email that contains a link to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) document upload website where you will be able to upload transcripts. This link is only available after you have paid your application fee in full.

Monitor application status page: Monitor the status of your letters of recommendation, transcripts, official test scores, and application fee payment by checking the Texas MBA Application status page. You should allow two business days for the checklist to be updated after submission. Please note that if any checklist items show as outstanding or not received, your application decision will be delayed.

Decision notifications will happen no later than April 9th. In the meantime, if you have questions, you can always contact our office.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
Send PM
Four dozen countries and thousand applications in a single round. Thousand.

*facepalm*
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Has anybody applied for an application wavier and had it gone through. I am eligible for a waiver because I was a part of the Teach for America program, and I sent my info to the McCombs office on Jan 20, but still havent heard anything. Does anybody have any experience with this or know how long it generally takes?

Thanks,
AK
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
vjcfc wrote:

*facepalm*

To be the best, you have to compete against the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
anujkhatiwada wrote:
vjcfc wrote:

*facepalm*

well said :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jkaustubh wrote:
anujkhatiwada wrote:
vjcfc wrote:

*facepalm*

well said :)

as per class profile of MBA'15, 19% consists of international students, i.e., 52 intl students in a class size 275.

Let's assume that 15-20 seats will be filled by R1 accepted students leaving out 32-37 for R2.

So, our chance of getting in is roughly 7-8% at best, that too not factoring in the country wise demographic that the school wants.

Now that's the challenge to cross! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
What is the last date of submission of application fee?
i have this horrible feeling that it was 24th Jan (within 3 days of application submission).. am i right?
can some1 plz confirm?

cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey, just added the links to :

1. MBA Programs
  2. Career Statistics

Deleted the pdf of the career statistics.
Current Student
Send PM
Is toefl on the to do list common for everyone who has applied for waiver? That remains the only item causing the application to be incomplete.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
vjcfc wrote:
Is toefl on the to do list common for everyone who has applied for waiver? That remains the only item causing the application to be incomplete.

No, not for me... have u shared ur tofel score in the application? This could be the reason...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Pietta wrote:
What is the last date of submission of application fee?
i have this horrible feeling that it was 24th Jan (within 3 days of application submission).. am i right?
can some1 plz confirm?

cheers!

Don't know about the deadline, but you should go to their "What I Owe" page and see if you can pay the fees now.

Link is https://utdirect.utexas.edu/acct/rec/wio/wio_home.WBX

Hope this helps, best luck mate.
Current Student
Send PM
AdiRedDevil wrote:
vjcfc wrote:

No, not for me... have u shared ur tofel score in the application? This could be the reason...

No I didn't, that's the point of the waiver.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vjcfc wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
vjcfc wrote:

No I didn't, that's the point of the waiver.

Its happening for me too, it is still showing that the application is incomplete
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
jkaustubh wrote:
Its happening for me too, it is still showing that the application is incomplete

Guys, don't worry.

My application status is also incomplete(even though I opted for a waiver). I sent a mail to adcom and they replied me back saying this:" Don't worry, your application will be reviewed soon and all things will be updated"

So I suggest to leave this alone for time being.

Thanks,
Prodizy
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi fellow applicants,

McCombs blog says 45% applications in Round 2 and 42% in Round 1 are international. This triggered my curiosity. I would like to know what is the distribution on gmatclulb.

I created a poll. Please cast your vote.

geography-distribution-of-applicants-166695.html

Thanks,
Prodizy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-01-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Interview debrief:

I applied in R1, received an invite to interview in late October. I interviewed in mid November, over Skype, with a 2nd year student. I live within a few hours drive of Austin, but I was unable to make the trip for an in-person interview. Overall, I did horribly in the interview. I was less prepared due to work demands, last minute room change before interview, never having interviewed on skype before, etc. The interviewer was very nice, it was very laid back (though I wasn't relaxed), the questions were pretty standard:

-Why an MBA now?
-What do you want to see in your fellow students?
-What will you bring to this program?
-How would you contribute to the school as a student?
-At a party, how would you introduce yourself/what topic would you bring up to talk about? *this one threw me, I gave a really lame, discombobulated answer about how it depends on what type of party/who is there, and something about how I would talk about work (which I most likely wouldn't do). I think I just made it so confusing the interviewer moved on out of mercy.
- If you had 2 round trip tickets to anywhere, where would you go and who would you take?
-Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 yrs?
-What are 3 of your strongest qualities?
-Weaknesses?

*this link has a good list of questions https://blog.clearadmit.com/category/int ... l/mccombs/

The interview only lasted 20 minutes, maybe slightly longer but it was under 25. And that was after the interviewer had answered my questions.

Needless to say, I thought the interview sealed my fate, especially since my scores/gpa aren't amazing. I was mad at myself for opting for Skype, I thought that they might hold it against me/not think I was serious about the program. I also got dinged from Duke, so that added to my anxiety. Leading up to the notification date, I was on this thread constantly checking posts. It was torturous to see others receiving news well before the Dec 20th notification. Compounding the misery was the lack of uniformity- some people just logged in to see their status updated, others had calls, others had an email, etc. I was about to start drowning my sorrows when I got the admit email at 4:55pm CST on the 20th.

So, never lose hope! Even if you have a bad interview or don't interview well, my feeling is that they must already be leaning a certain way before your interview. There's just no way I would have been admitted if the interview was weighed more heavily.

PM me for more detail on scores, background, titles etc

Originally posted by AnonIsab on 27 Jan 2014, 08:28.
Last edited by AnonIsab on 27 Jan 2014, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Kudos
Good morning all!

At the request of jkaustubh, I am here to report on my McCombs interview experience. In a nutshell: a very disappointing experience and easily the worst interview of my b-school application experience. (Yes, I was wait listed; no, the school's decision does not color this report; yes, take my comments with a grain of salt.)

1. Location

I'm in Colorado; my interviewer was in Austin.

2. Interview Type: Skype/On Campus etc

Skype.

3. Number of panelists

One.

4. Adcom/Students/ Alumns etc

A second-year student.

5. Your take from the interview

The first thing that threw me off was an email about 10 minutes before our interview saying my interviewer couldn't find a copy of my resume in the system for some reason, so I sent him one right away. Don't know whether he had a chance to look at it before we spoke. Having done a few Skype interviews in the preceding weeks, I had a basic idea of what to expect: someone in a suit or business casual dress in an office or study room, running through a list of questions and taking notes as we talked. Instead, my interviewer popped up on the screen wearing a hoodie and messy hair, apparently in a dark apartment somewhere. Our conversation started normally enough, but after a couple intro questions (walk me through your resume, why UT, etc.), he was flipping through his list of questions and saying things like "That's a dumb question, I don't feel like asking you that." It eventually devolved into him staring at the screen and mumbling "Let's see, what else can I ask you?"

I had learned from a couple prior interviews with second-year students at other schools that sometimes the interviewee needs to manage the interviewer and work to keep the conversation going a little more than with an adcom member, but it was awful. Because of the time slot I picked I was probably his last interview of the day, and the entire time he seemed preoccupied, like he just wanted to get it over with so he could get back to studying or whatever he had planned. There was no energy on his side of the conversation. After being accepted to Cornell and Michigan with a scholarship, I was honestly not surprised at all to be wait listed at McCombs based on my experience that day.

If I could offer Texas one piece of constructive criticism, it would be this: Remember that the second-year students that interview applicants are also ambassadors of the program. Yes, they are there to judge applicants on fit and worthiness to be admitted, but applicants are also using the time and their interactions with the interviewer to judge whether the program is a good fit for them. I found it was not, and apparently the feeling was mutual, so no hard feelings.

6. Duration

Approx. 40 minutes.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts