Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Operations, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GRE 1: Q530 V800
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
GmatNY86 wrote:
Yeah mine was a bit of a rollercoaster too. It was very informal and I was taken aback by how informal it was. Also it was "too" conversational and I was thrown off by not knowing when she was just going over my resume, making small talk, and asking legit question. I was also taken aback that the standard "tell me about yourself/your resume" wasn't the first question. I said "um" too much and at one point ironically mentioned communication as my strength by saying "I communicate a lot". I feel like I saved myself a bit by making light of that and saying "I communicate well because I have experience such as this this and that". All in all I was a bit disappointed because while I felt much better in the second half I still felt like I didn't have control.

Some questions were:

Name 3 things your coworkers would say about you?
What did you learn about yourself during the process?
What do you hope to get out of your MBA at McCombs

I said um many times as well...n i too felt like it was never under control.
Well, what's done is done! Now we just have to patiently wait for the 9th of April.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi fellas,

My interview concluded with a 2nd Yrs student a few mins back. I totally concur with Ganesh and GMATNY86 about the roller coaster exp. My interview was something as mentioned below,

Started with small talk
Next came a shocker, so tell me, what do you wanna ask.
Walk me through my resume.
Why MBA
Short term and Long term goal
Why McCombs
Another surprising ques, if I give u 2 tickets to travel to 2 different places, which will it be and with whom?
Any ques.

My interviewer was very organized and methodical; shared his experiences with me and kept it conversational.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
Send PM
ganeshjagtap wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
Yeah mine was a bit of a rollercoaster too. It was very informal and I was taken aback by how informal it was. Also it was "too" conversational and I was thrown off by not knowing when she was just going over my resume, making small talk, and asking legit question. I was also taken aback that the standard "tell me about yourself/your resume" wasn't the first question. I said "um" too much and at one point ironically mentioned communication as my strength by saying "I communicate a lot". I feel like I saved myself a bit by making light of that and saying "I communicate well because I have experience such as this this and that". All in all I was a bit disappointed because while I felt much better in the second half I still felt like I didn't have control.

Some questions were:

Name 3 things your coworkers would say about you?
What did you learn about yourself during the process?
What do you hope to get out of your MBA at McCombs

I said um many times as well...n i too felt like it was never under control.
Well, what's done is done! Now we just have to patiently wait for the 9th of April.

Yeah, but I wonder if you have a bit more leeway as an international candidate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V164
Send PM
IMHO you shouldn't have been too surprised that it was more conversational. The book on Indian/Chinese applicants is that they don't adapt or improvise well.

They were testing your ability to adapt to changing circumstances and think on your feet, and if you could handle a regular, unregimented, unpredictable conversation.

Anyone can walk someone through their resume.

ganeshjagtap wrote:
Hi all,

I had my interview on the 21st. It was conducted by a 2nd year student via skype. I was online 5 mins before the interview but the student who was scheduled to take the interview couldn't make it. So around 10 mins late I got the call on skype from another 2nd year student, but by that time I had started to get a lil bit nervous. Overall it was like a roller-coaster ride; it had it's ups and downs and parts where you go round and round :roll:.

Anyways, here are the questions that came up. (In all it lasted just under 40 mins).

Describe your work experience and what made you choose your job.
So what have you done in your new role so far (NOTE: I got transferred from operations role in manufacturing plant to the sales department 4 months back).
What were the major problems you faced in your assignment (at the plant)?
How has your work improved/contributed to your organization’s achievements/progress?
Describe the challenge you have faced when transitioning from a technical to sales role?
What are your career goals?
What are some of the specific skills you plan to gain during MBA?
What are some of the firms you expect to be working with post MBA?
Why MBA?
Why now?
Why McCombs?
What are the clubs you would like to be a part of (at McCombs)?
What are the challenges you expect to face getting back into school life?
Imagine it’s the May of 2016 and you are graduating from McCombs, what do you think you will be most proud of?
Any questions you would like to ask me.

I did not get any questions from my personal side, all professional only. And I feel I screwed up in 5-6 questions as I hadn't totally prepared for those ones.
So moral of the story: Know your resume inside out and be prepared for very specific questions related to it.
Well, I am keeping my fingers crossed now for the admit! Best of luck to y'all!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Guys,

first and foremost, good luck to all of you. This is my first ever post, so please forgive any mistakes.

I applied to UT in 2nd Round and had an on-campus interview last week. I was interviewed by a 2nd year student and it was very laid back, in fact after "resume" question it was more of a conversation.

I made one observation about a certain question, that I wanted to share:

Q: If I gave you two tickets to anywhere in the world, where would you go and who would you take?

---- (Note: after asking this question, my interviewer closed her notebook and stopped taking the notes and then listened to my answer. So I don't know what to interpret of that, but I told her about my recent travel trip and where I would like to go next.)

Overall: I was asked questions, that are already mentioned by so many users on this forum. The process was really laid back and I really felt like it went well. (But then again, I might be completely wrong, lol)

I have 3 tips for anyone who is still interviewing:

Please Please Please Read your application essays! (Most of the questions they ask is what you wrote in your application, so please show some consistent reasoning.)

--- If things have changed, for example if in your essay you said I want to come to McCombs because Faculty, Sports and Small Size but if you feel different now then go ahead and mention it like "Sure, after conducting some research and talking to students, I want to come to McCombs for Faculty, Small Size and Sports and I reflected these in my essay. However, I would like to add the city of Austin as another reason because after spending some time in Austin, I feel like this is the culture where I would thrive.

What and When are not as important!!! Why and How are very important!!!

--- Don't take forever to set up background story (you are not pitching a movie idea) so do a concise job and then move along to Why and How!!??!!

--- You can't make up your WHYs so really dig deep inside and find out why you decided to do anything. Better to be naive and true then to be someone whose BS gets called out. For example: for the anywhere in the world question. There has to be one place on this Earth that you really want to see and yes it might be as cliche as saying "Barcelona" but why Barcelona should make you stand out. Maybe you like to visit Olympic Cities or you are a huge fan of Messi/Maradona, any thing that really appeals to you.

Read your resume inside out.

-- I know you have heard it like 1000 times before, however I can't emphasize how much it helped when she pointed to specific points on my resume and I knew what she was referring to.

Two fellow forum members, @anonisab and @kana162, were really encouraging and helpful when I was preparing for my interview. I would like to thank both of them for their time and help.

I would now like to pay it forward. Hence, if any of you have any questions about my background, stats or interview, please feel free to PM me and I will get back to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
patelsid wrote:
Hi Guys,

first and foremost, good luck to all of you. This is my first ever post, so please forgive any mistakes.

I applied to UT in 2nd Round and had an on-campus interview last week. I was interviewed by a 2nd year student and it was very laid back, in fact after "resume" question it was more of a conversation.

I made one observation about a certain question, that I wanted to share:

Q: If I gave you two tickets to anywhere in the world, where would you go and who would you take?

---- (Note: after asking this question, my interviewer closed her notebook and stopped taking the notes and then listened to my answer. So I don't know what to interpret of that, but I told her about my recent travel trip and where I would like to go next.)

Overall: I was asked questions, that are already mentioned by so many users on this forum. The process was really laid back and I really felt like it went well. (But then again, I might be completely wrong, lol)

I have 3 tips for anyone who is still interviewing:

Please Please Please Read your application essays! (Most of the questions they ask is what you wrote in your application, so please show some consistent reasoning.)

--- If things have changed, for example if in your essay you said I want to come to McCombs because Faculty, Sports and Small Size but if you feel different now then go ahead and mention it like "Sure, after conducting some research and talking to students, I want to come to McCombs for Faculty, Small Size and Sports and I reflected these in my essay. However, I would like to add the city of Austin as another reason because after spending some time in Austin, I feel like this is the culture where I would thrive.

What and When are not as important!!! Why and How are very important!!!

--- Don't take forever to set up background story (you are not pitching a movie idea) so do a concise job and then move along to Why and How!!??!!

--- You can't make up your WHYs so really dig deep inside and find out why you decided to do anything. Better to be naive and true then to be someone whose BS gets called out. For example: for the anywhere in the world question. There has to be one place on this Earth that you really want to see and yes it might be as cliche as saying "Barcelona" but why Barcelona should make you stand out. Maybe you like to visit Olympic Cities or you are a huge fan of Messi/Maradona, any thing that really appeals to you.

Read your resume inside out.

-- I know you have heard it like 1000 times before, however I can't emphasize how much it helped when she pointed to specific points on my resume and I knew what she was referring to.

Two fellow forum members, @anonisab and @kana162, were really encouraging and helpful when I was preparing for my interview. I would like to thank both of them for their time and help.

I would now like to pay it forward. Hence, if any of you have any questions about my background, stats or interview, please feel free to PM me and I will get back to you.

You are spot on how to handle the interview. I wish you best!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Invited to interview! I'm so excited... it's my 2nd time applying to UT and I thought all/most invitations were given by now. Dont give up guys!!

Does anyone know if they open up more on campus interview spots on a rolling basis? The site says they are full up until March 3, and I'm really hoping to interview in person there. Thanks for any info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q790 V630
Send PM
braminc wrote:
Invited to interview! I'm so excited... it's my 2nd time applying to UT and I thought all/most invitations were given by now. Dont give up guys!!

Does anyone know if they open up more on campus interview spots on a rolling basis? The site says they are full up until March 3, and I'm really hoping to interview in person there. Thanks for any info.

braminc // When did you apply? My status is still "in review" and didn't get any mail... Good luck to your interview!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks!
I applied Jan 5 through Consortium. My status also still says "in review." Don't worry about that. I also know that they viewed my youtube video weeks ago yet only now decided to interview me. So basically, their process seems less predictable than we may like to think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.56
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
braminc wrote:
Thanks!
I applied Jan 5 through Consortium. My status also still says "in review." Don't worry about that. I also know that they viewed my youtube video weeks ago yet only now decided to interview me. So basically, their process seems less predictable than we may like to think.

I'm just curious, were you able to tell how many viewers from Mccombs watched your video? The reason I ask is because I had one viewer watch about a quarter of my minute-long video a few weeks back. Not sure if they already dinged me or if I should expect more views later. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
BizSchoolorBust wrote:
braminc wrote:
Thanks!

I'm just curious, were you able to tell how many viewers from Mccombs watched your video? The reason I ask is because I had one viewer watch about a quarter of my minute-long video a few weeks back. Not sure if they already dinged me or if I should expect more views later. Thank you.

Don't lose hope yet. Wait till mid march or so..hope for the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BizSchoolorBust wrote:

It's hard to tell with absolute certainty, but if you go to youtube analytics, you can filter by country, then state (texas), then "traffic sources" and look for Uknown--direct. This will weed out views from random youtubers. :)
I just checked now and see that I had two views from UT yesterday just before getting the invite. So I had 3 views clearly from McCombs. 2 yesterday and 1 on Feb 4.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q790 V630
Send PM
braminc wrote:
Thanks!

Thank you! Great info!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
For those who have already interviewed, what are you doing now people!?

Waiting till the 9th of April is just so :x :? :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anyone else received an offer from another school that requires a deposit before the McCombs decision deadline? What to do...what to do...The non-refundable deposit I would have to pay is 2000 USD which, for me, is a hefty amount to turn my back on if I receive an offer from McCombs. Do you think McCombs would expedite their decision on my application if I call and ask? Or would they ding me on the spot for my audacity?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
mishelkim wrote:
Do you think McCombs would expedite their decision on my application if I call and ask? Or would they ding me on the spot for my audacity?

Neither (is my guess).

Looks like you're in a for a tough call...

Actually, if McCombs is your first choice school...your worst case scenario is that you'll end up donating $2k to another school before going where you want to go. In the long run, that's not such a big price to pay.

And in the really long run...we're all dead anyways.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
mishelkim wrote:
Has anyone else received an offer from another school that requires a deposit before the McCombs decision deadline? What to do...what to do...The non-refundable deposit I would have to pay is 2000 USD which, for me, is a hefty amount to turn my back on if I receive an offer from McCombs. Do you think McCombs would expedite their decision on my application if I call and ask? Or would they ding me on the spot for my audacity?

Is McCombs your first choice? If you got the admit from McCombs, will you surely let the other admit go? If it is, I would say, it wouldnt hurt to be honest with them. Either call them or write a mail explaining your situation and how you would really love to attend there, etc. What's the worse that could happen? They would probably say, " Sorry, we cant release the decision early". Atleast you would have tried. Thats what I would have done :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts