Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 22:15 It is currently 08 May 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4893 [7]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4893 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3675 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called [#permalink]
To keep it simple, here's how we look at it:

Originally developed for [X], [a particular technique]...is finding uses in x, y, and z.

This is a lot easier to comprehend and work with. Thinking like this will cut down the potential for stupid, overlooked mistakes.

Pay attention to "prepositional phrases" - keywords like "for" "in" etc...or just general phrases.

In the above example, I read:

"which can quickly analyze the chemical elements"

as "which can blah blah blah"

I read: "in almost any substance without destroying"
as: "in blah...without destroying it"

I read: "Originally developed for detecting air pollutants"
as
"Originally developed for blah..."

I read: "a technique called proton-induced X-ray remission"
as
"a technique called blah.."

Get used to using "blah" to replace fancy parts of the sentence and you'll be surprised at how simple a lot of these GMAT questions actually are.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3165 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called [#permalink]
Kudos
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
Correct ! As 'Originally developed' modifies 'a technique' and 'which' modifies 'x-ray emission' and the sentence has a verb 'is finding'
(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission
Two Long modifiers in a sequence => awkwardness
(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants,called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
Cutting of non-essential modifier , sentence doesn't make sense.
(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,
Same as (C).
(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,
Quickly should modify CAN and has been placed incorrectly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
1- A technique called ABC, which does XYZ...
2- called ABC, which does XYZ...

My understanding is that "which" always modifies the word that precedes it. However in (1), "which" modifies "technique" while in (2) it modifies "ABC". Why doesn't it modify "ABC" in both (1) and (2).

My question stems from this GMAT SC question:
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

The sentence itself is correct while in this answer choice explanation:

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

...it mentions that "which' refers to emission while in the original sentence "which" refers to "technique"

Are there other circumstances like the one example above in which "which" does not refer directly to the word preceding it?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7783 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sure, there are exceptions to the "touch rule." Most commonly, we'll break the rule when a modifier is an essential part of the way we describe a noun. Take a look at these examples:

The King of Spain, who visited Washington last month . . .
The jar of peanut butter, which shattered on the floor . . .

It's clear that Spain didn't visit Washington and the peanut butter didn't shatter, but we need those modifiers to make the meaning clear, and it would be pretty hard to rewrite those sentences to make the modifiers touch "King" and "jar."

In the case you cited, it's worth noticing that proton-induced x-ray emission is the technique, so there's less worry about ambiguity when the modifier doesn't touch "technique."
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
farrous13 wrote:
1- A technique called ABC, which does XYZ...
2- called ABC, which does XYZ...

My understanding is that "which" always modifies the word that precedes it. However in (1), "which" modifies "technique" while in (2) it modifies "ABC". Why doesn't it modify "ABC" in both (1) and (2).

My question stems from this GMAT SC question:

The sentence itself is correct while in this answer choice explanation:

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

...it mentions that "which' refers to emission while in the original sentence "which" refers to "technique"

Are there other circumstances like the one example above in which "which" does not refer directly to the word preceding it?

True ... which follows the touch rule, but unfortunately everything does not runs by the rules in grammar.
There are some exceptions to the touch rule. So, as a best practice, make sure to recheck the meaning of the sentence once you have identified the answer.
See if which is logically modifying something or not. This would give you another check point in verifying the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Bookmarks
The phrase leading up to the comma is a modifying phrase. It's describing something that was developed for detecting air pollutants. When you open a sentence with a modifying phrase followed by a comma, the word after the comma should be whatever is being modified. Here, the thing that was developed for detecting air pollutants was the technique, so that should be the word after the comma in answer B.

The key pattern here is the modifying phrase at the beginning. Many modifying phrases are participial phrases (phrases built around -ed, and -ing verb participles). Some examples:

Published in Chicago,____
Discovered in London,___
Hoping to influence voters,____

In each of these cases, the thing after the comma needs to be whatever is described before the comma. So, for practice, for each of the examples above, choose one of the two options below.

Published in Chicago,____ (the journalist... / the newspaper....)
Discovered in a lab at Imperial College in London,___ (Penicillin... / Alexander Fleming...)
Hoping to influence voters,____ (the politician gave an impassioned speech / an impassioned speech was given by the politition)

It's also worth noting that if there were no comma, then grammatically you'd be right that 'having the ability' would refer to 'air polutants'. Then we'd be talking about a specific kind of air pollutant -- 'air pollutants having the ability to analyze compounds.' But there are two problems with this: 1) there is a comma, so the 'having the ability' phrase is not restrictive and 2) it doesn't make sense for pollutants to analyze compounds. (meaning and logic are just as if not more important than grammar rules in SC.)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Is it me or does it seem awkward that the modifier in A modifies a technique?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5432 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:

In A, both the modifiers are clearly modifying the technique without any ambiguity.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
warriorguy wrote:

In A, both the modifiers are clearly modifying the technique without any ambiguity.

I don't think the second modifier is modifying the technique. Or is it? Lol. I was under the impression that which will modify the noun it touches.

So the first part modifies technique and second part modifies emission or x-ray emission.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7783 [3]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos