GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 27 May 2018, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2013, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
akhandamandala wrote:
Hi there,
I'm grateful if anyone help to explain the problem of which-clause in A C and D. If we consider which-clause will modify the noun right before it, the which-clause in A is right after "emission" and accepted, while in D & C is not accepted. Why???
Is is true that noun in an adjective /participle and preposition phrase cannot be an antecedent ???

Thanks

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
here the which clause is modifying the entire noun phrase "proton-induced x-ray emission" and hence is correct. If a noun phrase is present, whole of it is modified by which and not just the last word.
(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
This sentence says "air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission" hence wrong
(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,
This sentence says "air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission" hence wrong.

hope it helps!!

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2013, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ankurgupta03 wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:
Hi there,
I'm grateful if anyone help to explain the problem of which-clause in A C and D. If we consider which-clause will modify the noun right before it, the which-clause in A is right after "emission" and accepted, while in D & C is not accepted. Why???
Is is true that noun in an adjective /participle and preposition phrase cannot be an antecedent ???

Thanks

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
here the which clause is modifying the entire noun phrase "proton-induced x-ray emission" and hence is correct. If a noun phrase is present, whole of it is modified by which and not just the last word.

Hi ankurgupta03, I am sorry but this is not correct.
The "which" does not refer to ""proton-induced x-ray emission" because then the sentence would say something like:
"proton-induced x-ray emission" "can quickly analyze the chemical elements" : no sense.
The correct antecedent of which is the "technique called(...)" and now the sentence makes sense:
"technique called(...)""can quickly analyze the chemical elements" : better.

The noun phrase is the entire part " a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission" because "called" is not a verb, is a modifier => "a technique + modifier"

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

SVP
SVP
S
Re: Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 17:06
To keep it simple, here's how we look at it:

Originally developed for [X], [a particular technique]...is finding uses in x, y, and z.

This is a lot easier to comprehend and work with. Thinking like this will cut down the potential for stupid, overlooked mistakes.

Pay attention to "prepositional phrases" - keywords like "for" "in" etc...or just general phrases.

In the above example, I read:

"which can quickly analyze the chemical elements"

as "which can blah blah blah"

I read: "in almost any substance without destroying"
as: "in blah...without destroying it"

I read: "Originally developed for detecting air pollutants"
as
"Originally developed for blah..."

I read: "a technique called proton-induced X-ray remission"
as
"a technique called blah.."

Get used to using "blah" to replace fancy parts of the sentence and you'll be surprised at how simple a lot of these GMAT questions actually are.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2013, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS

Correct ! As 'Originally developed' modifies 'a technique' and 'which' modifies 'x-ray emission' and the sentence has a verb 'is finding'
(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission
Two Long modifiers in a sequence => awkwardness
(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants,called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
Cutting of non-essential modifier , sentence doesn't make sense.
(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,
Same as (C).
(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,
Quickly should modify CAN and has been placed incorrectly.

Rgds,
TGC!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
[url]Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it[/url], is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,

-ed form modifies the closest noun. So 'called' must modify 'technique'. C, D and E are out.

'Originally developed for detecting air pollutants' and 'having the ability to analyze the chemical elements' are two modifies of 'a technique'. Either both should be closer to 'technique' or must be connected with a proper conjunction. It is lacking in option B.

Hence A is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 03:53
Is it me or does it seem awkward that the modifier in A modifies a technique?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 04:02
warriorguy wrote:

In A, both the modifiers are clearly modifying the technique without any ambiguity.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

NEW --> Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 05:56
abhimahna wrote:
warriorguy wrote:

In A, both the modifiers are clearly modifying the technique without any ambiguity.

I don't think the second modifier is modifying the technique. Or is it? Lol. I was under the impression that which will modify the noun it touches.

So the first part modifies technique and second part modifies emission or x-ray emission.
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 02:36
Well, in this case "proton-induced x-ray emission" is the name of the technique, so it's all the same. Similarly, if a sentence began "A man named Larry, who . . . ," we wouldn't have to worry about whether "who" modified "man" or "Larry."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 06:38
Hi experts,
sometimes, I am still confused that what does "comma which" modify, for this case, I wanna deep discuss the "comma which" modifier, purely discuss it , based on grammar rather than other errors.

Please review C,
A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced X-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

here, called proton-induced X-ray emission is a modifier and set off by a pair of comma, this structure means that called proton-induced X-ray emission is a non vital modifier, so I can split it , then the simple version is :

A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

we can figure out which modifier follows air pollutants and is without comma, generally, which modifier follows a comma,-- this is error 1
when I split it, which modifies preceding noun "air pollutants", -- this is error 2 -- nonsense.

my question is :
1/
cross off it because error 1 -- without comma before which,
does this reasoning apply to GMAT SC as a reason to cross off ?

2/
non vital modifier set off by a pair of commas, then the simple version will be which modifier follows a noun/noun phrase, in this case, which modifier modifies air pollutants,
Does this condition imply which modifier can jump over the non vital modifier and then modify the preceding noun if the meaning is logical ? what's the role of which modifier? is it still a non vital modifier? (because i know, comma which modifier is general non vital modifier.

genuinely wanna your help, especial @Mike's :P

have a nice day.
>_~
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 12:24
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
sometimes, I am still confused that what does "comma which" modify, for this case, I wanna deep discuss the "comma which" modifier, purely discuss it , based on grammar rather than other errors.

Please review C,
A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced X-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

here, called proton-induced X-ray emission is a modifier and set off by a pair of comma, this structure means that called proton-induced X-ray emission is a non vital modifier, so I can split it , then the simple version is :

A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

we can figure out which modifier follows air pollutants and is without comma, generally, which modifier follows a comma,-- this is error 1
when I split it, which modifies preceding noun "air pollutants", -- this is error 2 -- nonsense.

my question is :
1/
cross off it because error 1 -- without comma before which,
does this reasoning apply to GMAT SC as a reason to cross off ?

2/
non vital modifier set off by a pair of commas, then the simple version will be which modifier follows a noun/noun phrase, in this case, which modifier modifies air pollutants,
Does this condition imply which modifier can jump over the non vital modifier and then modify the preceding noun if the meaning is logical ? what's the role of which modifier? is it still a non vital modifier? (because i know, comma which modifier is general non vital modifier.

genuinely wanna your help, especial @Mike's :P

have a nice day.
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

My friend, I hope you are well. I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to say two things:
1) Please stop picking incorrect answers to GMAT SC questions and asking about the grammar of them. These are incorrect because they are flawed, often in more than one way. If you want to understand correct grammar, only pick correct answer as examples about which to ask.
2) You are looking for mathematical rules for how modifiers behave. Modifiers depend on logic and meaning, and these don't follow clean neat patterns.

You may be familiar with ancient Chinese Daoist master Laozi. His Daodejing begins with the sentence:
Attachment:
Daodejing, first sentence.jpg
Daodejing, first sentence.jpg [ 28.76 KiB | Viewed 811 times ]

Roughly, we could say that this implies that patterns of meaning, whether in GMAT SC or in the larger questions of life, do not follow fixed rigid mathematical patterns.

Does all this make sense?

Take very good care of yourself, my friend.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 09:23

(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission
The structure: Modifier, Modifier, Subject... is not a strong choice. The modifier(s) of a subject must be placed close to the subject.

Verb-ed modifier error - 'called' seems to modify 'pollutants'

Verb-ed modifier error - 'called' seems to modify 'pollutants'

Verb-ed modifier error - 'called' seems to modify 'substance'

Thus, I chose option A.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 08:05
12/27/16. LA. Manhattan GMAT SC Navigator Explanation. Modifier. There are a number of modifiers: "Originally developed…", "called proton-induced X-rays…", and "which can quickly analyze the chemical elements…" = all of the three modifiers refer back to the subject "the technique". Out of the 3 modifiers, the only essential modifier is "called proton-induced X-rays" and this noun modifier should be close to the main clause "technique". C, D and E are out.

Split2) Modifier. "Ability" word in the sentence "machines do not have the ability" is wrong. What sort of things have ability = human beings. The word "ability" is closely attached to living things such as human beings. We cannot attibute "abilities" to a machine, this is not a correct meaning. B,D and E are out.

Split3) Modifier "which" - vita modifier exemption to the touch rule. the noun modifier that starts with "which" must be close to the noun it modifies "technique." See the sentence "a technique called proton-induced x-ray emissions, which can quickly analyze the chemical..." => "which..." is a noun modifier that modifies "technique". The modifier "...called proton-induced X-ray emission" is a vita modifier => exception to the modifier rule = a vital modifier can come between the noun and the modified noun. A is right.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 14:59

This question is testing our understanding in modifier.

very clear

modifier+modifier + n + modifier, confused

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:

Perfect! Opening modifier modifying technique correctly. Usage of which is correct. What does 'it' refer to? it refers unambiguously to substance. Hold on this choice.

The opening modifier is modifying having the ability, which is NON SENSICAL. This choice is having misplaced modifiers therefore, incorrect.

Lets try displacing the modifier and make it correct,
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
After displacement, still the usage of having is not correct. Having is used, when we have two actions in the past and having is used to convey the first action. Here, we are not having that scenario.

The VERB-ed modifier should be placed close to the noun it is modifying. Here, called is placed too far away from the technique. Therefore, incorrect.

The VERB-ed modifier should be placed close to the noun it is modifying. Here, called is placed too far away from the technique. Therefore, incorrect.

Verb is missing for the main subject technique. Repeats similar errors as choice C and D. Here, the pronoun it is replaced with the substance to remove the ambiguity. But because of the previous errors this choice is incorrect.
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2017, 07:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap