Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 570 Q32 V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi, here is my info:

College: Went to The College of William and Mary, a public university in Virginia. Graduated five years ago.
Major: Government (political science almost everywhere else), GPA of 3.1
Current industry: Working at a small software company near Washington DC, where I work with the company's sales staff and research possible new sales leads for them to sell the product. Done this for about a year. Before I spent about four years in local law firms doing legal research as a paralegal.
Target Score on GMAT: I'd like to say high 600's to 700. Any more is gravy.
How close am I to the goal: Took three CAT's with Revolution Prep and most of my work is with its course. Took another Kaplan CAT back in August when I started my prep. On the Kaplan CAT I got a 550. With Revolution Prep:

1st CAT was in early September, and I got a 580 (39Q, 31V)
2nd CAT was on 10/09, and I got a 640 (40Q, 37V)
3rd CAT was on 10/16, and I got a 670 (45Q, 37V)

In short, I have potential to score where I want, but I still have more work to do. One more month in my prep, as the GMAT is on a Saturday afternoon in mid November.
Target Schools:I am intending on going to an evening program, in the DC area. Top choice is Georgetown, then the University of Maryland. GW and American are after that respectively... I intend on staying here in the nation's capital.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 2: 530 Q31 V31
GMAT 3: 620 Q44 V31
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,
I've been visiting this forum for about a month now and it's really an invaluable source for all GMATicians. I'll take the test in exactly 14 days and more than ever, some stories here are really kind of "inspirational" for me...

Who am I? A finance guy living in Paris, France, willing to attend a great american MBA. So target for GMAT is 700-750. I feel a bit far from that goal as the 2 test I've taken until now showed 490 (at the very beginning) and 600 (2 weeks ago). Both were Kaplan's and now I'll try MGMAT and Veritas. My plan is to take official GMAT Prep at the end of my preparation, so 2-3 days before the test. But hopefully, by working hard I'll reach my goal.

Thanks to all of you who make this forum so unique!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hello,

My background is in civil engineering with an environmental concentration. Worked for an environmental consulting firm briefly, then the federal government as a PM. Left the workforce 8 years ago to raise the kids. Started a home business (S-corp) and kept that going for 5 years doing database and website designs/programming. Closed the business 2 years ago to focus on the kids. Long story.

Now this is my time.

Because of my location and schedule, my choice of school is limited. I'd love to get into the part-time MBA @ Michigan State because it is closer, however I am not working full-time and that is one of the suggested requirements. I'd hate to get a MBA from a so-so school but what choice do I have?

I took the GMATPrep and scored 510. That was before I read any of the books or reviewed anything. Now that I know I don't have to solve every math problem, I should be good. SC is a weak spot.

My goal is a minimum of 650, good enough to beat my husband. He has already stated that the GMAT was harder back then (11 years ago) which is why so many people get 700s now. Puh-lease. He graduated from Carnegie Mellon with an MBA in 2003.

I hope to take the GMAT in February. Maybe sooner depending on how the holidays go.

I am following the 60-day study guide provided by "Beat the GMAT" and using OG for GMAT, 12th edition, Kaplan's GMAT Premier w/CD*, Manhattan's RC and SC (per club reviews). Any other suggestions?

*Kaplan's CD does not work with Win7. I have to pop the disk in each time as if I were installing it, but it finally gets me there.

Wish me luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
galaxyblue wrote:
Hello,

My background is in civil engineering with an environmental concentration. Worked for an environmental consulting firm briefly, then the federal government as a PM. Left the workforce 8 years ago to raise the kids. Started a home business (S-corp) and kept that going for 5 years doing database and website designs/programming. Closed the business 2 years ago to focus on the kids. Long story.

Now this is my time.

Because of my location and schedule, my choice of school is limited. I'd love to get into the part-time MBA @ Michigan State because it is closer, however I am not working full-time and that is one of the suggested requirements. I'd hate to get a MBA from a so-so school but what choice do I have?

I took the GMATPrep and scored 510. That was before I read any of the books or reviewed anything. Now that I know I don't have to solve every math problem, I should be good. SC is a weak spot.

My goal is a minimum of 650, good enough to beat my husband. He has already stated that the GMAT was harder back then (11 years ago) which is why so many people get 700s now. Puh-lease. He graduated from Carnegie Mellon with an MBA in 2003.

I hope to take the GMAT in February. Maybe sooner depending on how the holidays go.

I am following the 60-day study guide provided by "Beat the GMAT" and using OG for GMAT, 12th edition, Kaplan's GMAT Premier w/CD*, Manhattan's RC and SC (per club reviews). Any other suggestions?

*Kaplan's CD does not work with Win7. I have to pop the disk in each time as if I were installing it, but it finally gets me there.

Wish me luck!

Welcome! Well, the good news about SC is once you understand the booby traps you can actually beat the system there. It's a lot easier to improve SC than it is to improve RC - though if you give it enough time (February should give you plenty of time) then you should be in good hands by then. With a busy schedule, it'll be tough to fit in consistent study schedules. Budget time every night to learn something new but at the same time review mistakes you made the previous day. Then budget your entire weekends towards sprint-like study sessions.

Remember, this exam is as much about GMAT psychology as it is about concepts.

Enjoy!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just signed up for the club. I am considering writing my GMAT within the next 6 months. I am in my late 30's and have been in the energy marketing/trading business for over 10 years. However, I am looking for a change in my career path. The MBA will help me with that for sure as top executives in my industry all seem to have either an MBA or CFA. I would be doing an MBA part time so it will take 3 years.
I am just curious on how much work it will be to study for the GMAT. Keep in mind that I have been out of university for 14 years, work full time and am married with a small child. I obviously dont have the time to be studying each and every day for 8 hrs. The math component will be my biggest challenge for sure. I am hoping to be ably to study for 4 months and write in March.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST
GMAT Date: 12-02-2011
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
been a member for a while but haven't really contributed a lot..

will be frequenting the forums a lot this month

GMAT set for 2nd of December ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Joined today, will be writing the exam in 2 months. Great forum. Lots of useful stuff.

Am applying for LBS MiF and will hopefully do so in January. Am 27, MBA+CFA; 4.5 years work ex, 3 years as M&A banker at a mid mkt shop and current job of 2 years at private equity fund. Hoping to gain some international experience and take a break from work so planning to app

Bought books today and took Gmatprep (730, thanks to CAT prep 5 years ago!) am gunning for some nice scores which can help land some schols. Hope to become more active over the coming days!

cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for quite some time and I am ready to get started.

I have 6.5 years of investment mgmt experience. 3-years heading operations/HR in a start up. I also have a huge community development, volunteer and arts background.

Looking to focus MBA on strategy consulting (short-term) and entrepreneurship/economic development (long-term goal).

Took MGMAT class a few years ago, great instructors, but I needed something more slower paced and I missed 3 classes due to work. GMAT score under 500, but did not study or give it any real effort.

Now Im ready! Ive been reading the experiences of others and I am really inspired to give the test my all! Chicago Booth is my target school (entry: fall 2012 or fall 2013) and of course I am shooting for a score in the 90th percentile.

I just put together a 90 day study plan. I started this week. I will be starting the basics the first couple of weeks.

Week 1 - 3: building blocks
-Take GMAT prep CAT
-Veritas Math Assessment/Kaplan GMAT & GRE Math workbook
Weeks 4-8
-CAT end of each week (MGMAT CAT exams)
-Quant focus (using MGMAT quant books, Kaplan Math intensive & OG 12)
-CAT end of each week (MGMAT CAT exams/Veritas Prep CATs)
Weeks 9-12
-Verbal focus (Using MGMAT RC, SC, CR books & OG 12 ED)
-CAT at end of each week (Veritas/GMAT prep CAT)

This is my plan thus far. It may change as I continue to read through the forum. Should you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

Good luck to you all!

Thanks,
Chan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I'm not really a newbie as I have invested many hours in summer 2011 in this community, but was worth it!

I'm 25, have finished my Masters' degree in Financial management in February and am looking forward to a move to management consulting. Latter would certainly add value to my current 3 years of full-time work experience as Project- and Business development Manager at a medium sized Bulgarian company. I aim to start CFA in June 2012 as well.

After another 2-3 years of WE (no matter if consulting or another position) I hope to be able to apply for the top MBA programs. So it is rather natural that spent many hours in this amazing community. The first step will be the GMAT (Spring 2012) and then I will most probably be more active in the Business School forums ;) Hopefully! But let's see how things develope with GMAT - it will be tough, but I do everything needed to achieve a score above 730 :)

Wish you all the best and luck with exams/applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi,

I have bought the iPhone App and so I landed here :wink: I am new to GMAT.
Engineer from Germany, Graduation in 2007. Now 4 y work experience in automotive. Employer is paying and supporting MBA. Selected MBA programs in UK with min GMAT Score of 600. So my goal is 600.

Will take my first attempt on GMAT on 05.Decembre 2011 (so in approx 4 Weeks).
First prep test I had 350points w/o preperation. :?

Unfortunately my preperation time is limited. I took a prep. class in Switzerland (Weekend Course) to get familiar with this test :roll:
Will prepare myself everyday for approx 2h/day. Hope this is enough.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi all,
I am a Latin American Civil Engineer graduated in 2007, I am 25, I have just decided to start my journey to a Master in the business field, I am not applying in the short term because I am saving the money for the tuition and fees, I am planning to start my studies by 2013, I am currently writing my master degree thesis and at the same time gathering the information necessary to develop a strong application. At the beginning I was doubtful about taking the GMAT or the GRE but I have just decided to go for the GMAT. I hope to get a lot of help from the experienced people in the club and to contribute in whatever I can.
My target score is 700+ on GMAT
Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hello,

I actually signed up to the forum last year, lurked for a while, but only recently started getting serious about GMAT.

I’m currently working in buy-side research and plan to apply to master in finance program next year. Got 4 years WE, and finger-crossed those will get approved for CFA. :-D I’m not looking to change field and the master degree is to help in my moving up to fund management and to regional/global level. It’ll also be a 1-year break from working, which I eagerly look forward to :P

Anyway, took my first GMAT yesterday and scored 710 (Q49,V37) with almost no preparation. The result is better than I expected and I suspect being unstressed helped a lot. I’ll probably retake again in March, this time with preparation. At the moment I’m trying to schedule my study plan and research which test prep materials would be the best. Any input will be much welcome :)

Good luck to everyone,

Sunny
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I would actually have to re-introduce myself. As you can see, I had originally signed up in 2005, and ended up taking the GMAT around Dec 05. I got a 730 (Q50 and V38). I was sorely disappointed in my GMAT score, as I was consistently scoring in the 750+ range around that time, and got screwed in my Critical Reasoning questions. It was a decent score, but I ended up not doing my MBA due to personal and professional reasons. I have made a successful switch from IT to Business, and I am now planning to take the GMAT all over again. It is going to be interesting, as I have forgotten everything, and I am going to prepare for the GMAT 6 years later. I was an active contributor then, and I plan to be an even more active contributor now. Will second time be the charm? Let's see.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everybody,

I just joined the forum today, found out through a friend. I'm a production planner in an electronics manufacturing company, and looking to apply for a MSA program. I've never taken the GMAT before and just started studying this week, so I'm here to read up on other people's experiences and hopefully pick up some advice to help me take the test.

Best of luck to all candidates!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys

Decided to take GMAT 2 days back and looking for a prepration time of 4-5 weeks before that so effectively means that I should be scheduling exam appointment in the first week of next year.

Havent started on my application either and specifically targeting one school so should be just in time for round three by start of February. However need to give my best for GMAT before that and take things from there.

I am a working professional so 2-3 hours per day is the most I can devote.

Looking around for pointers to resources and prepration methods.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi... planning on giving my gmat in feb 2012.... anyone else looking around that time frame?...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everybody,

I have joined this forum today.
Well, I am a software engineer, however, along with job its very difficult to make myself prepared for GMAT.
Recently I started with couple of books by Kaplan.

Please suggest, whether it is feasible to do it with job?
and what is the best time for GMAT exam, I mean, which slot (month) would be better.

Many Thanks
Rema
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47  ...  66