Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vargen wrote:
It's sad to hear about all those being rejected now. It does make me feel a little better about being waitlisted though. Do you have any tips on how I can increase my chances? Given that I'm applying to J-term I don't have time to do anything crazy.

Perhaps you can speak to a new responsibility at work or a new leadership role either inside or outside the workplace. Just remember to also reaffirm your interest in the school (have you attended any admissions events recently or sat in on a class?)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
If anyone has questions, please feel free to give me a ring.

Originally posted by EnigmaD on 26 Oct 2012, 10:48.
Last edited by EnigmaD on 20 Mar 2017, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
QiuYidio wrote:
Submitted: September 20
Interview Invite: October 5
Interview: October 12
Interview Submitted: October 15
Decision: ????

I basically have had my cell phone glued to my hand. The support around here is keeping me going though...

GPA: 3.0
GMAT: 760
WE: 5 years strategy consulting

I feel you. Your result should come some time today, right? Good luck with it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Any of the J-Term dinged applicants planning on reapplying to CBS for the September class start? I'm just wondering. I'm most probably not but just wanted to know what others were planning on doing.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
KAS1 wrote:
Any of the J-Term dinged applicants planning on reapplying to CBS for the September class start? I'm just wondering. I'm most probably not but just wanted to know what others were planning on doing.

I'm curious - has anyone seen this work before? I'd imagine a J-term applicant would have been interviewed and then realized on their own or through conversations with interviewer or adcom that they'd be better served with the full 2 years and summer internship?

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
KAS1 wrote:

I'm curious - has anyone seen this work before? I'd imagine a J-term applicant would have been interviewed and then realized on their own or through conversations with interviewer or adcom that they'd be better served with the full 2 years and summer internship?

I am 99% sure I've read on the CBS site that this is not possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Soooo...I just want to throw this out there to see if anyone else has thought of this or if I am just crazy. I applied ED to Columbia on 10/3 with the hopes that an ED application would give me a small boost in chance of admission, but late enough that I could stretch out the admissions process to coincide with RD1 decisions from HBS, Wharton, & Kellogg. I got the interview invite from CBS 10/19 but I still haven't communicated with the interviewers because I don't want to speed it up too much and have to make a $6K deposit decision before knowing from the other schools. Can this work? We'll find out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
joe82 wrote:
Soooo...I just want to throw this out there to see if anyone else has thought of this or if I am just crazy. I applied ED to Columbia on 10/3 with the hopes that an ED application would give me a small boost in chance of admission, but late enough that I could stretch out the admissions process to coincide with RD1 decisions from HBS, Wharton, & Kellogg. I got the interview invite from CBS 10/19 but I still haven't communicated with the interviewers because I don't want to speed it up too much and have to make a $6K deposit decision before knowing from the other schools. Can this work? We'll find out.

The short answer is no, this cannot work. ED is binding, no matter where else you are accepted. That's the whole point. Best case scenario you get interview invites everywhere. You will still have to interview with Columbia before you hear back from HBS. So even if you get accepted to HBS before Columbia you will still owe Columbia $6,000. The only way this could work is if you got accepted to HBS or Wharton before interviewing with Columbia and intentionally bombing the Columbia interview. But the timing won't work that way. You can always game the system using ED to boost your odds. People do it every year. The consequence for doing so is burning any bridges with the Columbia network and you forfeit $6,000. There is no way out of the deposit, that is how they make ED binding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I recently got invited to interview, and am wondering how closely applicants hew to the instruction to first contact the Ambassador at the top of the list (they must mean business, as there's an underline involved). The third Ambassador they offered is an alum of my college, and I'd like to reach out to her first instead. Is this really discouraged (not seeking out fellow alumni, but not reaching out to the Ambassadors in order of appearance)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I emailed the 3rd person on the list. I found him on linkedin and saw he works in the field I want to switch careers into. I would contact whoever you think will give you the best interview chances. I'm really not sure why the email puts them in a particular order but I promise it isn't a trap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
joe82 wrote:

The short answer is no, this cannot work. ED is binding, no matter where else you are accepted. That's the whole point. Best case scenario you get interview invites everywhere. You will still have to interview with Columbia before you hear back from HBS. So even if you get accepted to HBS before Columbia you will still owe Columbia $6,000. The only way this could work is if you got accepted to HBS or Wharton before interviewing with Columbia and intentionally bombing the Columbia interview. But the timing won't work that way. You can always game the system using ED to boost your odds. People do it every year. The consequence for doing so is burning any bridges with the Columbia network and you forfeit $6,000. There is no way out of the deposit, that is how they make ED binding.

Thanks for the response. I guess my thinking is that the $6K is not actually due to CBS for 2 weeks after you've received the admissions invite. So, conceivably, you could interview and gain admission to CBS on 12/10 then hear back from Kellogg on their notification date of 12/17 and choose to enroll at Kellogg. But that's only if you stretch the admission to CBS back to the notification dates of other schools. Granted, you would not be living up to the ED agreement of enrolling there and withdrawing all other applications, but it's not truly a "binding" agreement and you only lose the $6K if you pay and then decide to enroll somewhere else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
any idea whats teh selection rate for teh ED applicants who have been invited to interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MBAPangs wrote:
any idea whats teh selection rate for teh ED applicants who have been invited to interview?

That's tough to answer with our small sample here. Especially because people are less likely to post on here when they get dinged vs an admit. That being said, it looks like so far for ED those who were invited to interview the yield has been 70% or maybe even a little better. Most of the dings people have reported were Denied Without Interview. I only recall 2 or 3 who interviewed and were dinged subsequent to that.

Historically the overall yield is around 50% if you get an interview invite. ED tends to have a higher admit rate than RD but not significantly. I would expect that if you were able to look across all ED applicants the reality is closer to 60% of ED interviews convert to admits. The rates are usually a little higher on GMATClub than the overall applicant pool just because those of us taking the time to be on this site tend to be overly motivated(or maybe we're just OCD).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
MBAPangs wrote:

That's tough to answer with our small sample here. Especially because people are less likely to post on here when they get dinged vs an admit. That being said, it looks like so far for ED those who were invited to interview the yield has been 70% or maybe even a little better. Most of the dings people have reported were Denied Without Interview. I only recall 2 or 3 who interviewed and were dinged subsequent to that.

Historically the overall yield is around 50% if you get an interview invite. ED tends to have a higher admit rate than RD but not significantly. I would expect that if you were able to look across all ED applicants the reality is closer to 60% of ED interviews convert to admits. The rates are usually a little higher on GMATClub than the overall applicant pool just because those of us taking the time to be on this site tend to be overly motivated(or maybe we're just OCD).

thanks mappleby.. your reply gives me the hope that it might work out after all.. need to continue on this journey

you seem to have hit the nail on the head with the ocd bit (used to check my mail every hour prior to getting the invite)

anyway, best of luck to all out there for the interviews!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.11
WE:Project Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call last night!

Applied ED on 9/6, interviewed on 10/11, feedback submitted 10/15, accepted 10/26

27 years old, male, white
GMAT 740 Q50 V39
GPA 3.10
WE 5 years at an online brokerage in the back office.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rrw708 wrote:
Got the call last night!

Applied ED on 9/6, interviewed on 10/11, feedback submitted 10/15, accepted 10/26

GMAT 740 Q50 V39
GPA 3.10

Congrats man!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
rrw708 wrote:
Got the call last night!

GMAT 740 Q50 V39
GPA 3.10

Big Cong! it's awesome! Lend me some luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts