Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GRE 1: Q162 V167
GPA: 3.71
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Johnson (Cornell) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
hamm0 wrote:
rainfall wrote:
Good luck dudes!!! I'm excited to see updates on you guys!

Edit: feel free to ask me questions!

Did you (or any of the other admits from last year) do the Table of Contents Essay? How did you tackle it? Quite honestly, I haven't started the essays because this one terrifies me.

I agree, I'm not a fan of this at all! I'm just going to jump in the deep end, and bullet point important/interesting points in my life, and see what sticks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
saidba wrote:
hamm0 wrote:
rainfall wrote:
Good luck dudes!!! I'm excited to see updates on you guys!

Edit: feel free to ask me questions!

Did you (or any of the other admits from last year) do the Table of Contents Essay? How did you tackle it? Quite honestly, I haven't started the essays because this one terrifies me.

I agree, I'm not a fan of this at all! I'm just going to jump in the deep end, and bullet point important/interesting points in my life, and see what sticks.

If it is any consolation, I made my first draft yesterday. It was a pain to get started, but once I did, the words started to flow. I think just getting anything on paper here will help ease the apprehensiveness some of us have with this essay. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello,
Plans for financing the MBA?
Manager
Manager
Status:If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hey ya all,

I am a re-applicant to Johnson like many of you - was waitlisted until June end.

I came across this website that said, "applications from previous years do not remain on file" for Cornell. Is that true? How can I confirm this kind of information. I need to change some dates that were slightly off in my last year app.

Thanks a lot for your help, and good luck specially to all the re-applicants :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
Does anyone know if all 3 prompts in essay #2 have to be answered individually in 150 words or can we combine the answer for the three into one, single 450-word essay?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
R1 applicant too and i dont know how you guys are doing it but i'm finding sticking to 150 words for essay 2 very challenging..i guess the adcom really wants to eliminate applicants talking about the usual 'general benefits of an MBA' and their entire 'career progression'...but that sort of puts more pressure in trying to show personality and creativity in the TOC essay because the second essay is so concise and direct.
I agree with hamm0 too- once you start to write it, you will see something develop pretty quickly. I put off writing the TOC essay for weeks and just started a couple of days ago and its coming along ok so far. After the first draft, I would recommend letting it sit for a day or two..then come back to it and you will see where it can be improved.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
It seems like yesterday I was sitting in my cube at work, checking these boards every hour. Now, I've got to-do lists a mile high and counting. The 1st years at Johnson are going through a pretty intensive stretch right now as part of our Core curriculum and corporate visits/briefings starting but it's still a blast. (The weather thus far in Ithaca has also been fantastic... but I'll revisit this topic in a month or two with the inevitable winter-feels-like-death remarks). For anyone who's been in my shoes where your job just plain wasn't challenging or intellectually stimulating anymore, do not fret: b-school will keep you busier than you've ever been.

Also, for what it's worth since you all appear to be on the topic of essays, I used the TOC format for one of my admissions essays last year, and used it highlight my diverse travels having lived in multiple regions, and used my favorite movie titles/quotes to characterize each chapter. I've also read a couple of my classmates and some used the TOC to infuse their sense of humor whereas others listed their accomplishments (or a combination of both). Good luck all to you future applicants
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Quick question about recommendations: both of my recommenders have submitted, but one of them left the company yesterday. This means that his contact information (his company email address) won't be active anymore. Is this a problem or is his cell phone and personal email going to be enough?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
Does anyone know if all 3 prompts in essay #2 have to be answered individually in 150 words or can we combine the answer for the three into one, single 450-word essay?

In the comments on this blog post, Christine Sneva answers this question and states that it should be three separate essays:

https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Tim ... -Tips.aspx

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Send PM
Does it matter if some one applies in R2 vs R3?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
igotthis wrote:
Does it matter if some one applies in R2 vs R3?

It is way better to apply as early as possible.
I came from the last round, but I would advise you to apply as early as you can because it tends to be more competitive in R3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Does anyone know whether a professional or personal focus is recommended for the Optional Park Leadership Essay?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
gumap wrote:
Does anyone know whether a professional or personal focus is recommended for the Optional Park Leadership Essay?

personal...I think more geared towards community service.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
gumap wrote:

FWIW - I wrote a professional essay and ended up with a Park Fellowship. But hailmary is right, service is an important part of the selection criteria. The extracurricular portion of your application is a great place to highlight this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
hailmary wrote:
gumap wrote:

FWIW - I wrote a professional essay and ended up with a Park Fellowship. But hailmary is right, service is an important part of the selection criteria. The extracurricular portion of your application is a great place to highlight this.

Thanks, hailmary and CobraKai. Since all application components are reviewed comprehensively for Park, it sounds like as long as the service piece comes through clearly somewhere in the application, the actual Park essay could potentially be professional or personal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson - Class of 2016
Send PM
gumap wrote:

Thanks, hailmary and CobraKai. Since all application components are reviewed comprehensively for Park, it sounds like as long as the service piece comes through clearly somewhere in the application, the actual Park essay could potentially be professional or personal.

Generally, aren't merit/fellowship essays reviewed by the financial aid department and not adcom? Or does financial aid have full access to your application as well?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tochenzo wrote:
gumap wrote:

Generally, aren't merit/fellowship essays reviewed by the financial aid department and not adcom? Or does financial aid have full access to your application as well?

I'm not 100% sure, but yes, I think that's generally the case. However, I believe the process is a little different with Park because it's part of the regular application (almost like applying to a specialized program).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts