Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Asset Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
I am a little curious to understand how this works? without interview how ad com with judge a person's strength & weakness? How they will compare two similar candidates one who had interview and one who had interview waiver?

martel6 wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:
Hi All

I couldn't submit my video essay in R1 & I got an opportunity to submit it later. Vide & Audio were fine in 1st attempt, I was happy with the content, so I didn't take chance with 2nd & 3rd attempt. I did some practice by recording 3-4 random videos on my own & I was able to figure out issues. Thankfully it all went well while recording the essays though there were few minor issues but I think ad com will understand how different it is to interact with a camera without getting a response from other side.

I opted for off-campus interview and ad com waived my i/v stating that there is no alumni near my area. I later asked them that I can go to a nearby city like Boston/NYC/Hartford for alumni interview or I can plan for an on-campus interview if nothing else materialize. Ad com said, we can't accommodate any i/v preference changes now & if ad com feels the need then it might go for Skype or Phone i/v.

Does my application is at disadvantage because of this? Any idea how does this work?

It does not put your application at a disadvantage. They will contact you if they feel an interview is necessary. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
it is exactly how other schools are processing their admission, isnt it??essays,bg and lor first, then send out the selective interview invites. thus seems that kellogg s admission procedure is comparatively more fair and well-round.
mbanerd16 wrote:
I am a little curious to understand how this works? without interview how ad com with judge a person's strength & weakness? How they will compare two similar candidates one who had interview and one who had interview waiver?

martel6 wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:
Hi All

I couldn't submit my video essay in R1 & I got an opportunity to submit it later. Vide & Audio were fine in 1st attempt, I was happy with the content, so I didn't take chance with 2nd & 3rd attempt. I did some practice by recording 3-4 random videos on my own & I was able to figure out issues. Thankfully it all went well while recording the essays though there were few minor issues but I think ad com will understand how different it is to interact with a camera without getting a response from other side.

I opted for off-campus interview and ad com waived my i/v stating that there is no alumni near my area. I later asked them that I can go to a nearby city like Boston/NYC/Hartford for alumni interview or I can plan for an on-campus interview if nothing else materialize. Ad com said, we can't accommodate any i/v preference changes now & if ad com feels the need then it might go for Skype or Phone i/v.

Does my application is at disadvantage because of this? Any idea how does this work?

It does not put your application at a disadvantage. They will contact you if they feel an interview is necessary. Good luck.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
But every school gives interview option to potential candidates either by extending invites or by open interview policy. I believe Kellogg is the only school that waives interview and ad com says it would not put an applicant at disadvantage.

This is something I am trying to understand. Maybe Video essay will help them evaluate an applicant.

xiangxder wrote:
it is exactly how other schools are processing their admission, isnt it??essays,bg and lor first, then send out the selective interview invites. thus seems that kellogg s admission procedure is comparatively more fair and well-round.
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hi All

[/quote]

Posted from GMAT ToolKit[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q51 V37
Send PM
My understanding is that Kellogg adcom usually doesn't read essays/app till the interview is done.

The waiver means that they will go ahead and read your essays and contact you for interview (via Skype or Phone) if the need be. So they are not taking off the interview all together; they are going ahead with next step of reading app and like other schools contact you (via Skype/phone - many school does these for remote location applicants) if they are interested. I know people who got in after waiver. However I think that if one gets a waiver and doesn't get a Skype/Phone interview he/she is pretty much done.

mbanerd16 wrote:
But every school gives interview option to potential candidates either by extending invites or by open interview policy. I believe Kellogg is the only school that waives interview and ad com says it would not put an applicant at disadvantage.

This is something I am trying to understand. Maybe Video essay will help them evaluate an applicant.

xiangxder wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hi All

[/b][/i][/size][/quote][/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Just had my interview with an alumni in the Middle East. Very nice guy, and definitely represented the image I had of Kellogg students: helpful, talkative and generally nice to hang out with. Very standard interview without any trick questions, and he did pursue more details when he wanted to learn more about a topic, a nice touch that showed he was paying attention.

It went very well, I was pleased with my performance and it was a good one hour discussion.

Crossing my fingers, it's a long wait till December!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
All the best!! Thanks for sharing ur exp.

saidba wrote:
Just had my interview with an alumni in the Middle East. Very nice guy, and definitely represented the image I had of Kellogg students: helpful, talkative and generally nice to hang out with. Very standard interview without any trick questions, and he did pursue more details when he wanted to learn more about a topic, a nice touch that showed he was paying attention.

It went very well, I was pleased with my performance and it was a good one hour discussion.

Crossing my fingers, it's a long wait till December!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Any Indians who submitted closer to Oct 16th received interview invites ??

I emailed them and they replied that i will get to know closer to dec 18 (result date) Does that mean i will not be interviewed or what ? :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
prateek413 wrote:

I emailed them and they replied that i will get to know closer to dec 18 (result date) Does that mean i will not be interviewed or what ? :/

I submitted on 18th September (the recommended deadline for internationals). Yet to hear back.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
prateek413 wrote:

submitted on the 16th. I'd say don't worry as it is pretty random and dependent on lots of factors including alumni in your area. Above all, it is not in your hands. Keep your head down and weather the storm.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
mbanerd16 wrote:

xiangxder wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hi All

Posted from GMAT ToolKit[/quote][/quote]

I think you're missing the point here. Kellogg offers all applicants the chance to either interview (if you are able to visit Kellogg, you're guaranteed an interview) or ask for an interview (in which case, they'll try to meet your request, but with no guarantees). If they're not able to meet your request, then your application is handled in the exact same fashion as it would be handled in most schools - they'll invite you to interview if they are interested in you. Most schools definitely do not do that! Try asking for an interview at Harvard, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Haas, CBS...
And if you look at it from Kellogg's point-of-view, why would you be able to interview on-campus now? They probably think that if you're able to make plans to interview on-campus after getting an interview waiver, why couldn't you make plans to visit and interview on-campus in the first place? Surely they understand that not everybody can afford to travel to Evanston, but they also have to recognize the interest and effort of the ones who do. It's not that your candidacy would be negatively impacted if you don't go up there; it's just that the candidacy would be positively impacted if you did.

Interviews are waived for a short period of time. If your application is strong, they'll invite you interview (even if it's over the phone).
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I just got some great news. One of my recommendations didn't make the deadline and the admissions staff told me I would be pushed back to Round 2. However, I was just informed that I received some bad information and they are actually going to review my application for Round 1 regardless, and he has until next Friday to get the recommendation in for it to be considered part of the application. I'm assuming the soonest they would look at my application is November 18th then.

Have any on-campus interview invites been sent out yet? I don't want to miss out on that!

Originally posted by jeffdill on 08 Nov 2013, 12:14.
Last edited by jeffdill on 08 Nov 2013, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
jeffdill wrote:
I just got some great news. One of my recommendations didn't make the deadline and the admissions staff told me I would be pushed back to Round 2. However, I was just informed that they are going to review my application for Round 1 regardless, and he has until next Friday to get the recommendation in for it to be considered part of the application. I'm assuming the soonest they would look at my application is November 18th then.

Have any on-campus interview invites been sent out yet? I don't want to miss out on that!

On-campus interviews are not by invitation - you request it on your app. There's a choice between on campus and off campus interview. Anyone requesting on-campus interview can get one, if there's enough space.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CelerIP wrote:
On-campus interviews are not by invitation - you request it on your app. There's a choice between on campus and off campus interview. Anyone requesting on-campus interview can get one, if there's enough space.

Ah, I understand. Is this something I can schedule now, or do I need to wait to receive word from Kellogg?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
jeffdill wrote:
CelerIP wrote:

Ah, I understand. Is this something I can schedule now, or do I need to wait to receive word from Kellogg?

If you selected "on-campus interview," you should call the Adcom right away to schedule an on-campus interview, because if you look at this schedule under "On Campus Interview," on-campus interview must be requested by October 31st. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... -2013.aspx

Given your situation, I think the Adcom might be giving you a bit of a leeway, but you should call them right away.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CelerIP wrote:
If you selected "on-campus interview," you should call the Adcom right away to schedule an on-campus interview, because if you look at this schedule under "On Campus Interview," on-campus interview must be requested by October 31st. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... -2013.aspx

Given your situation, I think the Adcom might be giving you a bit of a leeway, but you should call them right away.

Thanks for all the help. I called them and they found me a slot. Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
jeffdill wrote:
CelerIP wrote:

Thanks for all the help. I called them and they found me a slot. Cheers!

Good luck, Jeff!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Got an Alumni interview invite. Mumbai, India.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  85   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts