Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GRE 1: Q154 V164
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink]
I guess it is time to stop lurking and start posting. I'm looking to transition out of the Army with 7 years experience.

3.79 GPA in Political Science from a State School, ROTC
GMAT TBD: Currently in Veritas Prep online class
Studied abroad in Russia; conversational level Russian Speaker
Experience as an Infantry and Intelligence Officer
Deployed to Afghanistan with NATO, and in my current position I work with European partners regularly, so lots of international exposure.

I'm looking at INSEAD, IESE, LBS, Tuck, Haas, UCLA, Yale, and maybe Stanford as a long shot.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
If you haven't already, check out the MilitaryToBusiness blog: https://blog.militarytobusiness.com/

We put plenty of veteran-specific advice out there for free, so our blog is valuable even if you don't choose to work with us. But if you do have any questions about our services, you can ask me on here, via PM, or email me at eric@militarytobusiness.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EBM, I've been a long time follower of your website and blog. To anyone else considering transitioning, M2B is an amazing resource.
Director
Director
Send PM
For any of you who are targeting Darden, check out this amazing deal: https://blog.militarytobusiness.com/2014 ... arden.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Navy vet checking in. Best of luck to all!
Director
Director
Send PM
Sorry for the late notice, but any of you Southern California types may be interested in this Military to MBA workshop being held at Camp Pendleton this Saturday from 10am til 2pm. I helped them run a similar event this past spring and it had plenty of good information, particularly if you're a few years out from applying.
Attachments

File comment: Military MBA Workshop Flier
Military MBA Workshop Flier CP.pdf [475.82 KiB]
Downloaded 59 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
If you haven't already, I highly recommend getting the free comprehensive profile review from https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/. I just received mine and it's 17 pages of personalized advice regarding chances, fit, goals, everything.

However, I would hold off requesting it until you finish your GMAT/GRE. i just scored 70 points higher on the GMAT than what I gave them for my profile review so a lot of the information they gave me was about overcoming a weak test score which is no longer needed and could have been used to address other areas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
MIT Sloan will be hosting a veteran recruiting event on August 22 in San Diego. Below are the details and signup link. PM me if you have any questions.

https://register.applyyourself.com/?id= ... 5291&rid=1

Date: 8/22/14

Title: MIT Sloan on the Road for Veterans - San Diego
Description:Innovation, Collaboration and Global Impact are the heart of
the MIT Sloan mission. Join an admissions representative at the MIT Sloan
Veteran's Sloan on the Road to hear how our mission-driven School inspires
cutting-edge thinking and prepares the next generation of principled
leaders. Learn about the entrepreneurial spirit of our community and
opportunities to customize your learning experience. Engage with local
veteran alumni and current student Veterans as they share their stories
and talk about life after MIT Sloan.

6:30 - 6:45 p.m. Registration

6:45 - 7:45 p.m. Admissions Presentation and Alumni Panel

7:45 - 8:30 p.m. Network with Admissions staff, alumni, and fellow
applicants
Where:San Diego, CA Location:San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
333 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
Tel: (619) 234-1500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
I'll join in the discussion. I'll be applying this fall..we'll see how it goes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Are any of you planning on applying to Duke, South Carolina, University of Kansas, or Vanderbilt? I'm targeting only a couple 'top tier' schools because my undergraduate GPA isn't what it should be. Also, if anyone is applying to Duke, are you planning on attending the military symposium in October?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
ROTC commission from UT Austin. Submarine Officer that lateral transferred to Engineering Duty Officer. Engineering Master's degree from Naval Postgraduate School. I will be applying this Fall. I am leaving the Navy in June 2015.

Has anyone come across statistics on the number of military applicants to top tier programs? Success rates? Breakdown of services and/or specialties?

Anyone else already have a graduate degree?

Any other military intending to apply to (or already have) schools through The Consortium?

I thought the quant portion of the GMAT was gonna be a breeze and didn't put in enough time on that section. Any pointers to raise from Q45 to Q48-Q50?

Anyone else in the Seattle area?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fbpointgod10 wrote:
ROTC commission from UT Austin. Submarine Officer that lateral transferred to Engineering Duty Officer. Engineering Master's degree from Naval Postgraduate School. I will be applying this Fall. I am leaving the Navy in June 2015.

Has anyone come across statistics on the number of military applicants to top tier programs? Success rates? Breakdown of services and/or specialties?

Anyone else already have a graduate degree?

Any other military intending to apply to (or already have) schools through The Consortium?

I thought the quant portion of the GMAT was gonna be a breeze and didn't put in enough time on that section. Any pointers to raise from Q45 to Q48-Q50?

Anyone else in the Seattle area?

I've looked at a lot of class profile webpages for most of the top 50 programs and I've noticed that somewhere in between 10-15% military admissions seems to be the norm.

Quite a few of the military diversity pages talk about the leadership and unique experience that military members bring and how that makes them successful. Of course it could just be marketing jargon, but I feel good applying as a veteran...let's just put it that way.

I'll be finishing my masters degree this winter, but it's only an online degree so I'm not putting too much weight on it. I got my AA degree in Russian from DLI as well. I used to go to the Naval Postgraduate campus all the time, the hotel over there is awesome!
Director
Director
Send PM
The only military-related statistics that I've ever seen have to do with the percentage of the student body made up of veterans, which is typically 3-6% depending on the school. The only one I've heard that approaches that 10-15% number that pellantn just mentioned is Ross for this coming year, which is ~10% based on the word I got from a friend who just graduated from there.

So we know how many vets get into a particular school, but nothing in regards to how many veterans actually apply, how many apply in R1 vs. R2, how a school's military admissions rate compares to its overall admissions rate, or how the vet admits stack up in terms of average GPA/GMAT relative to civilian applicants. If I had to guess, I'd say that average GMATs for veteran admits tend to be slightly below the mean for a given school but I don't have any way to prove it. I'd also wager that veterans tend to be ~2 years older than the average MBA student age due to the fact that all of us essentially had to serve a minimum or 4 or 5 years after finishing undergrad, whereas a lot of the civilian-types are starting business school 2-3 years after finishing undergrad.

I worked with two clients last year who had postgrad degrees--one was a Navy information warfare officer who had an electrical engineering degree from NPS, and the other was a sub officer who was finishing a masters in engineering management from a school near his command. They're headed to Kellogg and Darden, respectively. In both their cases, I think their strong grades in grad school helped to mitigate low-ish undergrad GPAs. And in the case of the first one, I'm sure the EE masters degree helped make his expressed career goals much more feasible. So if either of those cases apply to your situation, be sure to lean on them to strengthen your profile.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know if you can use TA (tuition assistance) for GMAT prep courses online or in person? If not, does anyone know if there are military discounts for GMAT prep courses such as Manhattan GMAT or Kaplan?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
First time post!

I'm an Air Force guy. Low GPA (< 2.7) GPA. Various assignments/four deployments (currently in Afghanistan). Acquisitions Officer. Leaving AF early 2015.

Currently, I'm debating whether to pursue a Full-Time MBA or an Executive MBA (due to 10+ years of work experience and age).

Thoughts?

Originally posted by uwpark on 01 Aug 2014, 05:13.
Last edited by uwpark on 01 Aug 2014, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Studying for the GMAT sucks. Just throwing that out there. Just finished the Veritas Prep online course, and I'll tell you that definitely was helpful.
Director
Director
Send PM
Registration is now live for HBS's Military Prospective Student Day on September 26: https://apply.hbs.edu/register/mpsd14
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8