Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 23:40 It is currently 08 May 2024, 23:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey all, just got my call from Tuck (my top choice)!!!! if there are any folks still applying/thinking to apply, I'd love to help in any way I can (share experiences, resources, drafts etc...) - I know I enlisted all the help I could. Feel free to shoot me a message. Good luck to all still waiting or working on applications. It was totally worth all the hard work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
MIT Sloan will be hosting a veteran recruiting event on August 22 in San Diego. Below are the details and signup link. PM me if you have any questions.

https://register.applyyourself.com/?id= ... 5291&rid=1

Date: 8/22/14

Title: MIT Sloan on the Road for Veterans - San Diego
Description:Innovation, Collaboration and Global Impact are the heart of
the MIT Sloan mission. Join an admissions representative at the MIT Sloan
Veteran's Sloan on the Road to hear how our mission-driven School inspires
cutting-edge thinking and prepares the next generation of principled
leaders. Learn about the entrepreneurial spirit of our community and
opportunities to customize your learning experience. Engage with local
veteran alumni and current student Veterans as they share their stories
and talk about life after MIT Sloan.

6:30 - 6:45 p.m. Registration

6:45 - 7:45 p.m. Admissions Presentation and Alumni Panel

7:45 - 8:30 p.m. Network with Admissions staff, alumni, and fellow
applicants
Where:San Diego, CA Location:San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
333 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
Tel: (619) 234-1500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GPA: 3.04
Send PM
Kudos
Applying Vets-
I am an Army vet who transitioned in June and am just finishing Summer Start at NYU Stern (in the library studying for my stats final as we speak).
Just wanted to let you all know of a Military Event that is being co-hosted by Stern MBA Admissions Department and the Military Veterans Club on Saturday, October 4.
https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... tary-event
Good luck, and shoot me a DM if you have any questions.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
NCK wrote:
Fellow Military Applicants,

After re-taking my GMAT today, I can safely say that I will be among those of you who will be applying in R2 in a couple months. A little bit about me:

- Currently an Army Company Commander, of a Signal Company of about 50. Stationed in Germany and have participated in extensive multinational training. Prior to this job, was an S6 of an Attack Helicopter Battalion. Have two deployments previously as an XO and Platoon Leader. 7 years in. OCS Grad.
- Education: Undergraduate degree in Finance and Business Administration from regional college with dismal 2.82 GPA,
Master of Arts degree in IT Management with 4.0 GPA and graduate honors.
- GMAT: 710, Q47, V42

Right now I am trying to determine the most appropriate places to apply, given my profile. My biggest limiting factor is my GPA, which was due to a combination of 20-30 hour work weeks, immaturity, and significant life altering events in my family. I know my GPA is well below many schools' averages, but I made sure to take MBA level statistics and economics for my graduate degree to hopefully take some heat off of that aspect of my profile. Additionally, I believe my recommendations will be strong from raters and senior raters who top slotted me (enumeration and blocking) in large pools of CPTs.

Does anyone have any advice as to places I should be looking to apply? Right now I plan on applying to Virginia, Duke, Texas, and Rice, but would definitely like to apply to one or two stretch schools. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

NCK

What do you want to do post-MBA and where do you want to live for school and afterwards?

To be honest, given those numbers I'd probably put Duke and UVA in the stretch category for you which means I wouldn't recommend putting your time and money into applications for any top 10 programs. So I would recommend applying to one more Texas-ish school and one more Rice-ish school....i.e. one that's in the UCLA/Yale/Cornell/UNC range and one that's in the USC/Georgetown/Notre Dame/Vanderbilt range.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MilitaryToBusiness.com: Cornell Military Preview Days Nov 13-14, 2014
The veterans at Cornell would like to invite you to their Military Preview Days. It seems that b-schools are leaning more and more into these events, and are competing for your attention.

Below is from the Cornell Association of Veterans...

Veterans make up just under 10% of the student population, but have a disproportionate impact on the community as many Veterans hold leadership positions throughout the student club ecosystem. We represent all four branches of the US military (Coasties too!) as well as a few international veterans from Greece, England, Israel, and Korea. On faculty, Bill Huling (Associate Dean, Alumni Affairs and Development), Jerry Rizzo (Director of Leadership Programs), and, of course, George Casey (Guest Lecturer) represent the Army, Marine Corps, and Army respectively. Cornell as a whole has a long history of military service, and boasts an active Tri service ROTC program.  We currently have 4 active service members at Johnson, a platoon sized force of children, and gaggle of Veterans receiving a dual degrees. The Association of Veterans is integrated into the Admissions process at Johnson and are happy to answer any and all questions, edit resumes/essays, talk admissions in general (not just Johnson, but other schools too). Our Guest speaker will be LtCol Chuck "Chim Chim" Dockery.

Register here: https://www2.johnson.cornell.edu/forms/military_preview.cfm
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Kudos
fbpointgod10 wrote:
Interview invites have been rolling out. How are the military guys fairing so far? Do we get put into the "military" bin prior to or after interviews? I've been wondering if there are any military trends of note during this portion of the application process.

My top three targets are MIT, Kellogg, and Ross. So far so good - self initiated at Kellogg and received invites from both Sloan and Ross. Headed to campus on the 10th and 21st respectively.

I also really enjoyed my visit to Darden - no word from them yet - I saw you and others got invites today - congrats!

As far as the "bin" - I think we are in the "diversity" bin as soon as they get our ap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Kudos
Ackxhpaez wrote:
Does anyone have any experience getting reimbursed for test fees from DANTES? Does it usually take a long time?

Yes. Surprisingly fast. I was reimbursed in less than 3 weeks.

The new form is attached.
Attachments

exams_reimbursement_form.pdf [1.36 MiB]
Downloaded 49 times

Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
sgtteddy007 wrote:
If someone could help guide me with a situation I am facing...I am looking to transition out of the military in spring of 2017 and to start B school in fall of 2017. My main issue is that I plan to be on deployment from fall of 2016 to spring of 2017. I do not anticipate having problems with the paperwork portions of the application, but I feel like if I am invited to an interview it would be tough to interview via videochat from some terrible wifi hotspot in who knows where. Also, it would be tough to communicate with your liaisons at the schools because everything would have to be done via e-mail. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I had several classmates in that situation and have worked with a handful of clients who had to go through the same thing. Schools aren't going to penalize you for interviewing via Skype or sat phone if that's your only option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
TuckVet- I just got onto this forum, saw this post, and unfortunately have missed the Military Visit Day.

I'm an Army Special Forces transitioning CPT with a lot of Africa experience, 8 years in, 3.3 GPA from a state school, and an unknown GMAT until about 1JUL14. I'll be applying Early Decision to Tuck for Fall 2015-simply because the program itself, the student community, and the small town all greatly appeal to me. If there are veterans events this fall please post them or point me to a link where they'll be advertised.

Good luck this summer and with your second year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
We'll certainly post any upcoming Vet events. In the meantime check out our Tuck AFAA web site and feel free to contact the Vet admissions liaisons.

Best of luck on the GMAT!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GRE 1: Q154 V164
Send PM
I guess it is time to stop lurking and start posting. I'm looking to transition out of the Army with 7 years experience.

3.79 GPA in Political Science from a State School, ROTC
GMAT TBD: Currently in Veritas Prep online class
Studied abroad in Russia; conversational level Russian Speaker
Experience as an Infantry and Intelligence Officer
Deployed to Afghanistan with NATO, and in my current position I work with European partners regularly, so lots of international exposure.

I'm looking at INSEAD, IESE, LBS, Tuck, Haas, UCLA, Yale, and maybe Stanford as a long shot.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
If you haven't already, check out the MilitaryToBusiness blog: https://blog.militarytobusiness.com/

We put plenty of veteran-specific advice out there for free, so our blog is valuable even if you don't choose to work with us. But if you do have any questions about our services, you can ask me on here, via PM, or email me at eric@militarytobusiness.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GRE 1: Q154 V164
Send PM
EBM, I've been a long time follower of your website and blog. To anyone else considering transitioning, M2B is an amazing resource.
Director
Director
Send PM
For any of you who are targeting Darden, check out this amazing deal: https://blog.militarytobusiness.com/2014 ... arden.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Navy vet checking in. Best of luck to all!
Director
Director
Send PM
Sorry for the late notice, but any of you Southern California types may be interested in this Military to MBA workshop being held at Camp Pendleton this Saturday from 10am til 2pm. I helped them run a similar event this past spring and it had plenty of good information, particularly if you're a few years out from applying.
Attachments

File comment: Military MBA Workshop Flier
Military MBA Workshop Flier CP.pdf [475.82 KiB]
Downloaded 60 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
If you haven't already, I highly recommend getting the free comprehensive profile review from https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/. I just received mine and it's 17 pages of personalized advice regarding chances, fit, goals, everything.

However, I would hold off requesting it until you finish your GMAT/GRE. i just scored 70 points higher on the GMAT than what I gave them for my profile review so a lot of the information they gave me was about overcoming a weak test score which is no longer needed and could have been used to address other areas.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8