Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Duke, UVA, UNC, Georgetown,
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management, Consulting
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Thanks for the reply sleepy!

is anyone going to the welcoming weekend? could you guys please share your experience?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
 Q47  V40
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Marketing
Send PM
One issue with the USN rankings is that it does not measure the quality of recruiters for each school. This is why schools like Indiana, Wash U, Minnesota and Ohio State rank in the top 25. Smaller, regional companies may be more likely to give a higher assessment score to new mba's from these local programs, whereas companies like Goldman Sachs and Bain may be more critical of new hires.

Also, if you're coming from a regional school, you may be less willing to wait and test the waters after graduation, so you take the first offer you receive regardless of the strength of the employer, thus enhancing the "employed by graduation" factor.

Personally, I think that the best measure of a school is its long term salary, i.e. the range of salaries after 10-15 years post-graduation. This chart by BW shows just that. https://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/mba_pay_2009/. It gives you an idea of how Georgetown stacks up against the rest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management, Consulting
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Send PM
hmm... noone from GC went to the welcoming weekend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Concentration: Intl Business, GM
Schools:Georgetown
Send PM
Kudos
hwiya320 wrote:
hmm... noone from GC went to the welcoming weekend?

Sorry, I've been meaning to respond to this! I went to welcome weekend and really enjoyed it. I was impressed with the professor panel and mock class, the alumni panel, and the professionalism of the whole event. I found the current students to be super friendly and helpful and the other admits to be accomplished and friendly as well.

I wasn't as impressed with the career services presentation (I went to the consulting breakout session). The woman heading up career services was the one presenting that portion (the person usually in charge of consulting was in NYC on a career trek) and she didn't really seem to have a long term vision for that department or know much about consulting. However, I've heard that the head of career services is being replaced and I heard good things about the person in charge of consulting careers from students.

Dean Daly does seem to have a clear vision for the future of the school and struck me as a great addition. Obviously the new building is gorgeous and will now allow the school to host events that wouldn't have been possible before. Overall I left feeling that there is a lot of focus on growth and improvement which showed in my interactions with people across the board (students, staff, faculty, Dean, etc).

I'd love to hear the reactions of others! I'm happy to answer any specific questions as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
 Q47  V40
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
I also went to Welcome Weekend, and was undecided coming into the event. I had to choose between Georgetown and Emory, which also had a great weekend for admits. Let me just say that this morning I submitted my deposit to Georgetown. I was so impressed with the quality of the professors, who were highly passionate and dedicated to the students. The mock class was funny and very engaging (the finance professor reminded me of Ari Gold). The students were friendlier as were the fellow admits. I also liked that the curriculum was very demanding and challenging, per the first years. I didn't get that vibe at goizueta. At Georgetown I felt that the professors really push you to learn and to excel.

I was equally impressed with the financial services career overview. The person in charge is a no-nonsense, Kellogg MBA who went over, in detail, where students were finding internships and how the center was helping the students find their ideal finance job. Every single bulge-bracket bank was listed, even Goldman, for offers. If you're looking for a high profile finance job, Georgetown will take care of you. (BTW, This was the deciding factor for me)

Lastly, Washington DC was absolutely incredible. The Georgetown area has a London feel, and the people were diverse and seemed highly educated. It is definitely a younger city with a more fast-paced culture. Being in the center of global politics wasn't bad either. All in all, it was an amazing experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Nice guys, keep them coming!

Very insightful and helpful, too bad I couldn't make it, but it's good to hear from people who actually made it to the event.

When is Round 3 deciding date? I think our class will grow by at least 100 people from round 3 decisions and all the people who will get off the waitlist.

Also what do you know about the new Career service person? When will he/she come? Will we get to benefit for our first year there?

As far as Goldman, maybe one should be cautious and wait for the **** storm to clear :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any news from anyone on the waitlist? I know they were saying we'll get an answer no later than May 14th but wondering if anyone's heard anything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Send PM
Had my interview today with a first-year. It was pretty standard but she seemed bored, which could be a reflection on me or her looking forward to the end of this process. I've learned no to read into that too much so we'll see what happens. At least the wait isn't too long.

That building is quite impressive.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
coast2coast wrote:
Any news from anyone on the waitlist? I know they were saying we'll get an answer no later than May 14th but wondering if anyone's heard anything.

Haven't heard anything yet. The deadline for accepted R2ers to submit their initial deposits and intentions to enroll is May 1, so I doubt admissions is going to take any action until sometime after that date.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
The student government VP of career management confirmed rumors last week that we are getting the director of UT McCombs's career management office. Apparently her husband got transferred to DC for his job and we lucked out. I'm excited to meet her and hear her plans for the future, everyone I've talked to says she's fantastic.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
any waitlisters receive any good news? I believe today is the decision date?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call about 10 minutes ago. I'm in! The orientation binder/packet is supposed to arrive by the end of the day. (Update: looks like the binder is going to be mailed today...) Looking forward to meeting everyone later in the year!

Best of luck to all of those on the waitlist! A number of first year Georgetown students mentioned on this forum that they were accepted off of the wait list in mid-June, so if you are still on the wait list, stay positive!

Originally posted by 2012applicant on 14 May 2010, 12:26.
Last edited by 2012applicant on 14 May 2010, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received an e-mail about an hour ago. Still on the WL.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received an email - waitlisted from round 3.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Int Student.. Still on the waitlist :( .. Don't know what the chances are now ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Finance
Schools:Columbia EA [ding], MIT R1 [ding after deferral], Duke R2 [WL then ding w. interview], Ross R2 [admit], Georgetown R1 [WL, withdraw], Kelley R1 [admit, $$], Simon R1 [admit, $]
 Q47  V38
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: 2 years Finance
WE 2: 2 years IT (undergrad)
Send PM
Still on the WL, I haven't interviewed yet, lol.

I'll be going to Ross, so I'll just inform GTown of my withdrawal. Good luck to all still waiting!
Current Student
Send PM
2012applicant wrote:
Just got the call about 10 minutes ago. I'm in! The orientation binder/packet is supposed to arrive by the end of the day. (Update: looks like the binder is going to be mailed today...) Looking forward to meeting everyone later in the year!

Best of luck to all of those on the waitlist! A number of first year Georgetown students mentioned on this forum that they were accepted off of the wait list in mid-June, so if you are still on the wait list, stay positive!

Congrats! I knew you would have a happy ending too!

Btw guys I visited the school and DC these last two weeks and they were both great. The school building is unbelievable and the town is gorgeous. You made the right choice believe me!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts