GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants!

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2010, 03:39
Hi all,

I will be joining Georgetown next year!! Very excited for the school!
Unfortunately I will not be attending the welcome weekend because I don't have enough time to travel there (located in Greece) but I will visit the area in a month to look for apts and do a school visit

Question to all: Do you have any housing info, or do you know if the school provides any options regarding where you can stay with student discounts maybe?

Thank you all and hope to see you soon
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2010, 04:23
ntpaledo,

AFAIK GT does not provide campus housing. Did you have a chance to look at this page?

http://oip.georgetown.edu/isss/housing.htm

It has a bunch of info on how you could go about finding accommodation. There's a FB group as well, where you can connect with current students. I've also been in touch with seniors to take their inputs on good housing options.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg/McCombs/Marshall

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2010, 07:54
Cong. to all the admits.
Could you please advice the decision deadline for R2 admits?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:47
Sleepy, are you still here?

What do students wear to class? I understand that McDonough has business casual dress code. (I was really hoping to wear my shorts again... guess not...)

Do you see the difference between 1st year students vs. 2nd year students?

It's an obvious answer that students will show up in suits or business outfit for presentation or recruiting events, but I'm curious about the daily classroom dress code.

How about interactions with other students outside of classroom? only on weekdays vs. weekends?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Texas '12
WE 1: Investment Strategy Analyst
WE 2: Corporate Controller

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:55
hwiya320 wrote:
Sleepy, are you still here?

What do students wear to class? I understand that McDonough has business casual dress code. (I was really hoping to wear my shorts again... guess not...)

Do you see the difference between 1st year students vs. 2nd year students?

It's an obvious answer that students will show up in suits or business outfit for presentation or recruiting events, but I'm curious about the daily classroom dress code.

How about interactions with other students outside of classroom? only on weekdays vs. weekends?

Thanks!

That is a great question. I'm visiting Gtown next week, so if Sleepy doesn't reply, I'll take a look at that!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 10:16
TheRiotFish wrote:

That is a great question. I'm visiting Gtown next week, so if Sleepy doesn't reply, I'll take a look at that!

hello RiotFish,

When are you visiting Georgetown? are you attending the welcoming weekend?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Apr 2010, 18:27
lk

Originally posted by WhoDat on 08 Apr 2010, 11:29.
Last edited by WhoDat on 08 Apr 2010, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 16:24
WhoDat wrote:
For all you guys who were accepted in R1 or R2.. A quick questions from a R2 wait lister. I was just curious where you guys were as far as securing financial aid? I am hoping to get off the GT waitlist while waiting to hear back from other schools.. I just finished up my taxes this past week & I'll be doing my FAFSA this weekend.. Am I too behind the ball?

Did Georgetown put any info about financial aid in your admissions packet? I know they handed out several 10K annual scholarships.. Do they award any need based aid? What's the max allowed to borrow in terms of loans from federal and private loans?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck and enjoy welcome weekend. Hope to join you guys in the fall :roll: ..

Hi WhoDat,

You can find a little bit of financial aid information on the welcome website that Georgetown put together for admits. Like you, I am on the wait list, but a Google search for "Georgetown welcome weekend" resulted in this website showing up at the top of the list. Check it out:

https://digitalcommons.georgetown.edu/b ... ncial-aid/

I'm sure that you will click around through the site, but if you are curious about what your next steps will be if admitted, you can find that here:

https://digitalcommons.georgetown.edu/b ... you-begin/

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 17:50
2012applicant wrote:
WhoDat wrote:
For all you guys who were accepted in R1 or R2.. A quick questions from a R2 wait lister. I was just curious where you guys were as far as securing financial aid? I am hoping to get off the GT waitlist while waiting to hear back from other schools.. I just finished up my taxes this past week & I'll be doing my FAFSA this weekend.. Am I too behind the ball?

Did Georgetown put any info about financial aid in your admissions packet? I know they handed out several 10K annual scholarships.. Do they award any need based aid? What's the max allowed to borrow in terms of loans from federal and private loans?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck and enjoy welcome weekend. Hope to join you guys in the fall :roll: ..

Hi WhoDat,

You can find a little bit of financial aid information on the welcome website that Georgetown put together for admits. Like you, I am on the wait list, but a Google search for "Georgetown welcome weekend" resulted in this website showing up at the top of the list. Check it out:

I'm sure that you will click around through the site, but if you are curious about what your next steps will be if admitted, you can find that here:

Good luck!

Hey 2012,

Thanks so much.. Very helpful.

I know that we are technically competing with each other for a spot in line on the waitlist but was just curious if you had sent out a supplemental essay/recommendation to GT yet? I am trying to get mine out and have both to them by early next week. How aggressive have you been trying to engage with adcom? I am going to be in DC and might see if I can meet with someone in the admissions team. I got some good morale support from the students I spoke to during the application process & I know for a fact that a decent # of people got off the waitlist last year. So best of luck.. Hopefully we both get in.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 19:06
WhoDat wrote:
2012applicant wrote:
WhoDat wrote:

Hi WhoDat,

Good luck!

Hey 2012,

I know that we are technically competing with each other for a spot in line on the waitlist but was just curious if you had sent out a supplemental essay/recommendation to GT yet? I am trying to get mine out and have both to them by early next week. How aggressive have you been trying to engage with adcom? I am going to be in DC and might see if I can meet with someone in the admissions team. I got some good morale support from the students I spoke to during the application process & I know for a fact that a decent # of people got off the waitlist last year. So best of luck.. Hopefully we both get in.

Hi WhoDat,

True, we're technically competing against each other, but if we were interested in cutthroat competition, we wouldn't be applying to Georgetown. I'm happy to talk with you about what I'm doing.

In regards to the supplemental materials, my additional recommendation was submitted to and confirmed by admissions about a week after receiving the decision notification. My essay, and the third-party review of that essay, are both complete. I will FedEx my essay in the morning.

Now the harder part: engaging with adcom. I've been talking with a few people I know who have admissions experience. One is currently an adcom member for a top 10 MBA, one used to review applications and interview applicants as a 2nd-year student at a top 10 MBA, and one is a dean of a PhD program. The frustrating thing is I've been getting very mixed messages (e.g. one said to get undergrad professors to contact Georgetown professors on my behalf, while another said don't do that). Something they all said, something you and I don't like, is that what we do probably has little influence over Georgetown's final decision.

Like all schools, Georgetown is very conscious and proactive about putting together a student body that comes as close to meeting Georgetown's vision of the ideal mix of backgrounds, test scores, etc., especially considering that Georgetown is focused on moving up in the rankings. Georgetown has a relatively low admissions yield--something like 39% of admits end up enrolling--so as admitted students begin declining their offers of admission, Georgetown's admitted student body starts showing holes. Waitlisted applicants are used to fill those holes. Not enough people with finance backgrounds? Some waitlisted applicants with finance backgrounds get admitted. Is the range of GMAT scores skewed towards the low end? Some waitlisted applicants with high GMAT scores get admitted.

So how am I engaging Georgetown adcom? The main thing that I am doing is demonstrating my interest in and enthusiasm for the program, both by the tone and content in my communications with adcom, and my supplemental materials, and also by getting my supplemental materials in as quickly as possible. And I have specifically told adcom that Georgetown is my first choice. I believe that is important; Georgetown admissions doesn't want to waste their time admitting someone only to see that person decline the offer. So if you happen to be one of the applicants that can fill a hole in the admitted student body AND you have clearly expressed your intent on enrolling if admitted, that gives you an advantage.

After receiving the decision notification, I emailed the adcom rep who interviewed me, but other than that, and my supplemental materials, I haven't directly engaged adcom in any other way. It was suggested to me to reach out to Georgetown to see about arranging a casual meet and greet, but another person said that it probably wouldn't happen since I've already been interviewed. It would be great to know how adcom receives your inquiry about a meeting.

I hope this (long reply) was helpful. And good luck again!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 19:32
Hi WhoDat,

Good luck![/quote]

Hey 2012,

I know that we are technically competing with each other for a spot in line on the waitlist but was just curious if you had sent out a supplemental essay/recommendation to GT yet? I am trying to get mine out and have both to them by early next week. How aggressive have you been trying to engage with adcom? I am going to be in DC and might see if I can meet with someone in the admissions team. I got some good morale support from the students I spoke to during the application process & I know for a fact that a decent # of people got off the waitlist last year. So best of luck.. Hopefully we both get in.[/quote]

Hi WhoDat,

True, we're technically competing against each other, but if we were interested in cutthroat competition, we wouldn't be applying to Georgetown. I'm happy to talk with you about what I'm doing.

In regards to the supplemental materials, my additional recommendation was submitted to and confirmed by admissions about a week after receiving the decision notification. My essay, and the third-party review of that essay, are both complete. I will FedEx my essay in the morning.

Now the harder part: engaging with adcom. I've been talking with a few people I know who have admissions experience. One is currently an adcom member for a top 10 MBA, one used to review applications and interview applicants as a 2nd-year student at a top 10 MBA, and one is a dean of a PhD program. The frustrating thing is I've been getting very mixed messages (e.g. one said to get undergrad professors to contact Georgetown professors on my behalf, while another said don't do that). Something they all said, something you and I don't like, is that what we do probably has little influence over Georgetown's final decision.

Like all schools, Georgetown is very conscious and proactive about putting together a student body that comes as close to meeting Georgetown's vision of the ideal mix of backgrounds, test scores, etc., especially considering that Georgetown is focused on moving up in the rankings. Georgetown has a relatively low admissions yield--something like 39% of admits end up enrolling--so as admitted students begin declining their offers of admission, Georgetown's admitted student body starts showing holes. Waitlisted applicants are used to fill those holes. Not enough people with finance backgrounds? Some waitlisted applicants with finance backgrounds get admitted. Is the range of GMAT scores skewed towards the low end? Some waitlisted applicants with high GMAT scores get admitted.

So how am I engaging Georgetown adcom? The main thing that I am doing is demonstrating my interest in and enthusiasm for the program, both by the tone and content in my communications with adcom, and my supplemental materials, and also by getting my supplemental materials in as quickly as possible. And I have specifically told adcom that Georgetown is my first choice. I believe that is important; Georgetown admissions doesn't want to waste their time admitting someone only to see that person decline the offer. So if you happen to be one of the applicants that can fill a hole in the admitted student body AND you have clearly expressed your intent on enrolling if admitted, that gives you an advantage.

After receiving the decision notification, I emailed the adcom rep who interviewed me, but other than that, and my supplemental materials, I haven't directly engaged adcom in any other way. It was suggested to me to reach out to Georgetown to see about arranging a casual meet and greet, but another person said that it probably wouldn't happen since I've already been interviewed. It would be great to know how adcom receives your inquiry about a meeting.

I hope this (long reply) was helpful. And good luck again![/quote]

Indeed it was helpful.. Very. We are on the same page here. I am following the exact same process you are. I know that if you are on the forums and hustling to get your essays out/recommendation in - this matters to you as much as it does to me...

All in all there are a dozen reasons why Georgetown is my top choice but right near the top is the supportive nature of the student body (you certainly sound like you fit the bill).

A silly question though - how long did you keep your supplemental essay? I am sitting in a library at the moment working on it.. so just curious. Like I mentioned earlier I have spoken to several of the students in the program that I engaged with during the application process. I haven't attempted to set up an additional meet up/interview with adcom.. but I most likely will mention that I will be in DC in late April and am available to if needed.

Hopefully when it comes time for Georgetown to plug those holes they call our number..

If you would like feel free to send me a message during this grueling waiting period.. I am hoping for the best for you(and your nerves).
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 19:55

Indeed it was helpful.. Very. We are on the same page here. I am following the exact same process you are. I know that if you are on the forums and hustling to get your essays out/recommendation in - this matters to you as much as it does to me...

All in all there are a dozen reasons why Georgetown is my top choice but right near the top is the supportive nature of the student body (you certainly sound like you fit the bill).

A silly question though - how long did you keep your supplemental essay? I am sitting in a library at the moment working on it.. so just curious. Like I mentioned earlier I have spoken to several of the students in the program that I engaged with during the application process. I haven't attempted to set up an additional meet up/interview with adcom.. but I most likely will mention that I will be in DC in late April and am available to if needed.

Hopefully when it comes time for Georgetown to plug those holes they call our number..

If you would like feel free to send me a message during this grueling waiting period.. I am hoping for the best for you(and your nerves).[/quote]

WhoDat,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, admissions didn't provide any specifics about length and formatting in the decision notification letter. To be on the safe side, though, I am following the formatting requirements for the original application essays (10pt. font, double-spaced, name at the top of each page).

My essay was a solid 3 pages. I had three meaningful updates to talk about, so while I worked to be concise, I also made sure that I said what needed to be said.

Feel free to reach out at any point as well.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 20:07
WhoDat,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, admissions didn't provide any specifics about length and formatting in the decision notification letter. To be on the safe side, though, I am following the formatting requirements for the original application essays (10pt. font, double-spaced, name at the top of each page).

My essay was a solid 3 pages. I had three meaningful updates to talk about, so while I worked to be concise, I also made sure that I said what needed to be said.

Feel free to reach out at any point as well.[/quote]

So glad you are on tonight.. I have been killing myself trying to get it down to 2 pages while staying within the format.. 3 is exactly the amount of space I need while still being concise.. Feel allot better now.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2010, 12:30
I am on the waitlist, but have been admitted to USC. GT is my first choice, but I have to pay my deposit to USC on May 1. Is there anything I can do to hear from GT before the given date? If I don't hear from GT before that date, I wont be able to attend GT. Any thoughts???
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2010, 12:45
pjjskj wrote:
I am on the waitlist, but have been admitted to USC. GT is my first choice, but I have to pay my deposit to USC on May 1. Is there anything I can do to hear from GT before the given date? If I don't hear from GT before that date, I wont be able to attend GT. Any thoughts???

How important is the deposit $$$ to you? You can pay the deposit to hold your spot at USC while waiting to hear back from Georgetown. If you get into Georgetown and decide to enroll, you'll lose the USC deposit, but if Georgetown is more important to you, it may be worth it.

I just noticed on another forum that some people advocate asking the school for a deposit extension....

And some people are calling admissions to ask about an early decision...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2010, 13:12
Thanks. The deposit is money I can't afford to lose. Plus, GT and USC are very similar schools so a preference for GT's location is not worth the deposit money. I think I will call GT and let them know the situation. I hope they are responsive!

2012applicant wrote:
pjjskj wrote:

How important is the deposit $$$ to you? You can pay the deposit to hold your spot at USC while waiting to hear back from Georgetown. If you get into Georgetown and decide to enroll, you'll lose the USC deposit, but if Georgetown is more important to you, it may be worth it.

I just noticed on another forum that some people advocate asking the school for a deposit extension....

And some people are calling admissions to ask about an early decision...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2010, 06:08
Hi All,

Late applicant here. The information posted here has been quite helpful. Applied for round three and hoping for an interview. For those on the waitlist, or anyone else for that matter, would you mind sharing your undergrad GPA, GMAT score, and # years experience? I have 7 years and a 3.6, but I am afraid that my GMAT score will keep me out.

Thank you.
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 01:21
Can someone please update the roll call page ??
Intern
Intern
Schools: Texas '12
WE 1: Investment Strategy Analyst
WE 2: Corporate Controller

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 10:30
hwiya320 wrote:
TheRiotFish wrote:

hello RiotFish,

When are you visiting Georgetown? are you attending the welcoming weekend?

I was there all day yesterday, can't go to Welcome Weekend though.

As I promised I would check, there is indeed a business casual dress code at the business school for MBA students (not for undergrads). It is not enforced though, as some students go with flip flops, shorts and tshirts. One first year told me it is because the semester is ending, but that at the beginning of the year, people tend to be more serious about their outfit.

Hope it helps, and feel free to ask anything and see if I got an answer...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2010, 20:58
Anyone have any idea why Georgetown slipped 5 spots in the new US News rankings? Considering that tuition is being raised 10% over last year it is a little unsettling.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2010, 20:58

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19    Next  [ 372 posts ] 

Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants!

post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, MsInvBanker