Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 01:55 It is currently 14 May 2024, 01:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [37]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [9]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [6]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [2]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: When an airplane is taken out of service for maintenance, [#permalink]
Kudos
Why not E?

The primary purpose of any paint/plastic used for colouring the plane is to stay on while the plane is in flight. It is established in the stem that the plastic will save time. But what good is this "saving time", if the plastic will come off during flight? Plastic can only be used if it also saves time while doing all of the core functions that paint does. The stem doesnt elaborate on this fact - whether the plastic does all of the functions for the plane that paint colour does. I think we need to fill that logic gap and hence E is superior to B.

Note I have no doubt about B's strengthening ability. I just think E strengthens the argument more than B.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3828 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mohnish104 wrote:
When an airplane is taken out of service for maintenance, it is often repainted as well, and during the repainting no other maintenance work can be done on the plane. In order to reduce maintenance time, airline officials are considering using a new nontoxic plastic film instead of paint. The film takes just as long to apply as paint does, but many other maintenance tasks can be carried out at the same time.

Which of the following, if true, is further evidence that using the film will help the airline officials achieve their goal?

One reason is given about why it is better to use the film than paint. Now you need a choice that further proves same. But keep in mind that a choice can only support if it uses the right parameter. In argument Time is the most important parameter. Infact Time is the reason for using film as an alternative of paint.

A. Unlike paint, the film gives a milky tone to certain colors.
Is this why we looked out for alternative to paint?? Of course not. Irrelevant.

B. At the end of its useful life, the film can be removed much more quickly than paint can.
If film is so good that it is a time saver even after its use than it is better to use. So this choice support using the Time as parameter. Stays in scope and hits the right note. Good choice. Correct choice.

C. The film can be applied only by technicians who have received special training.
Well that’s not an issue. paint is also applied by painters.

D. The metal exteriors of airplanes have to be protected from high temperatures and caustic chemicals such as exhaust gases.
So no information on film and paint. OFS.

E. Even at speeds considerably higher than the normal speed of a passenger jet, the film remains securely attached.
So this one tells how good it is to use film. But then this choice is away from WHY officials wanted to use film. They wanted to save time. This security is not the concern in argument.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8844 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
When an airplane is taken out of service for maintenance, it is often repainted as well, and during the repainting no other maintenance work can be done on the plane. In order to reduce maintenance time, airline officials are considering using a new nontoxic plastic film instead of paint. The film takes just as long to apply as paint does, but many other maintenance tasks can be carried out at the same time.

Which of the following, if true, is further evidence that using the film will help the airline officials achieve their goal?

Boil it down - Replacing paint by plastic film will reduce maintenance time

A. Unlike paint, the film gives a milky tone to certain colors. - Irrelevant

B. At the end of its useful life, the film can be removed much more quickly than paint can. - Correct

C. The film can be applied only by technicians who have received special training. - Irrelevant

D. The metal exteriors of airplanes have to be protected from high temperatures and caustic chemicals such as exhaust gases. - Irrelevant

E. Even at speeds considerably higher than the normal speed of a passenger jet, the film remains securely attached. - ISWAT - we don't even know whether the plane does travel at speeds considerably higher than normal speed . Also , paint might still be secured at higher than normal speeds.

Answer B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Ok. I'm really struggling with this question.

As per the argument airline officials want to coat a given aircraft at the same time while carrying out other maintenance activates on the aircraft to reduce downtime ( I assume this is during the service life of the aircraft)

However option B talks about stripping the aircraft after its entire useful life (who care?) i believe this option is completely irrelevant to the argument. Experts please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
When an airplane is taken out of service for maintenance, [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
This argument is all about using the plastic film in place of paint in order to cut down on maintenance time. The piece of evidence offered is that, while it takes as long to apply as does paint, other tasks can be done in the interim. This means there is less "down time" for the other tasks. If, in addition to this benefit during the application process, the removal process for the film is also faster then you are speeding up the process even more. Being able to remove the used film quicker than being able to scrape off the old paint means that now you remove the film faster and then have less down time for other tasks, thus making the process even more fast.

I hope this helps!!!

Hi VeritasPrepBrandon
I agree with the explanation, however, I have a doubt- what if there's no need to scrape off the old paint because as per premise we don't have any info about this.
Also, we don't know whether during the removal process other maintenance tasks can be carried out in parallel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
AmoyV wrote:
Why not E?

The primary purpose of any paint/plastic used for colouring the plane is to stay on while the plane is in flight. It is established in the stem that the plastic will save time. But what good is this "saving time", if the plastic will come off during flight? Plastic can only be used if it also saves time while doing all of the core functions that paint does. The stem doesn't elaborate on this fact - whether the plastic does all of the functions for the plane that paint colour does. I think we need to fill that logic gap and hence E is superior to B.

Note I have no doubt about B's strengthening ability. I just think E strengthens the argument more than B.

I also think along the same lines, however, after giving more thought to E.
E can be rejected on grounds that
1. We don't have a clear distinction b/w normal and high speed, and ambiguous answer choices are usually incorrect.
2. Does a passenger jet even travel at high speed? However, we still don't have clarity of what speed can be considered high speed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
I did not consider removing the film is required, so I ignored it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
Send PM
mohnish104 wrote:

(A) Unlike paint, the film gives a milky tone to certain colors.

(B) At the end of its useful life, the film can be removed much more quickly than paint can.

(C) The film can be applied only by technicians who have received special training.

(D) The metal exteriors of airplanes have to be protected from high temperatures and caustic chemicals such as exhaust gases.

(E) Even at speeds considerably higher than the normal speed of a passenger jet, the film remains securely attached.

We want to support the airline officials' goal. The goal is to reduce maintenance time by using the film.

#1 is only about the tone of the color and not time. Wrong.
#2 is about time (via speed).
#3 is not helpful. Wrong.
#4 does not have anything to do with maintenance time. Wrong.
#5 is totally irrelevant. These are speeds considerably higher than the normal speed of a passenger jet. This doesn't affect the maintenance time since the film does not fall off. Any attempt to make #5 work will have to import some assumptions.

#2 is the answer by elimination.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I kinda had the same logic behind eliminating B - reducing maintenance time is essential DURING the useful life of the plane. At the end of the useful life why does it matter. GMATNinja can you shed some light on this pls

NikhilJose wrote:
Ok. I'm really struggling with this question.

As per the argument airline officials want to coat a given aircraft at the same time while carrying out other maintenance activates on the aircraft to reduce downtime ( I assume this is during the service life of the aircraft)

However option B talks about stripping the aircraft after its entire useful life (who care?) i believe this option is completely irrelevant to the argument. Experts please help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Understanding the argument -
When an airplane is taken out of service for maintenance, it is often repainted as well, and during the repainting no other maintenance work can be done on the plane. - Fact
In order to reduce maintenance time, airline officials are considering using a new nontoxic plastic film instead of paint. - Conclusion.
Goal - To reduce the maintenance time.
Plan - Use nontoxic plastic film instead of paint.
The film takes just as long to apply as paint does, but many other maintenance tasks can be carried out at the same time. - Fact. Supporting premise.

Option Elimination - Strengthen the plan to help achieve the goal, which is "To reduce maintenance time."

(A) Unlike paint, the film gives a milky tone to certain colors. - Out of scope.

(B) At the end of its useful life, the film can be removed much more quickly than paint can. - If the film can be removed more quickly then its a dual advantage to the "reduce the maintenance time." ok.

(C) The film can be applied only by technicians who have received special training. - Weakener.

(D) The metal exteriors of airplanes have to be protected from high temperatures and caustic chemicals such as exhaust gases. - Out of scope.

(E) Even at speeds considerably higher than the normal speed of a passenger jet, the film remains securely attached. - It's a good advantage for the film, but our scope here is to ensure that the plan will meet the goal, which is "To reduce maintenance time." Does this help reduce the maintenance time? No. Out of scope.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts