Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
christinemmx86 wrote:
Yes, I tried finding programs that for the most part lacked an ego with mixed results. Pleased to have found it in the end.

Excited to soon call you a classmate at Marshall!

Likewise. Just caught wind you were a former Bruin. (Appreciate you using the word former)

Truth be told I had similar "issues" with UCLA so it's nice seeing them repeated here. Wish I was in LA to take advantage of the already active social scene for our cohort but it's great connecting through the anonymity that is this site.

Were you at USC's admit weekend and A-days? I tried the combination and was exhausted! Kind of not surprised they double booked. I think at the end of the day you know if you belong at USC or UCLA pretty quickly but I still forced myself to give Anderson another chance.

Is Round 3 complete? Curious if the cohort is officially assembled or if we're still waiting on some newbies!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Manhattanite wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:
Yes, I tried finding programs that for the most part lacked an ego with mixed results. Pleased to have found it in the end.

Excited to soon call you a classmate at Marshall!

Likewise. Just caught wind you were a former Bruin. (Appreciate you using the word former)

Truth be told I had similar "issues" with UCLA so it's nice seeing them repeated here. Wish I was in LA to take advantage of the already active social scene for our cohort but it's great connecting through the anonymity that is this site.

Were you at USC's admit weekend and A-days? I tried the combination and was exhausted! Kind of not surprised they double booked. I think at the end of the day you know if you belong at USC or UCLA pretty quickly but I still forced myself to give Anderson another chance.

Is Round 3 complete? Curious if the cohort is officially assembled or if we're still waiting on some newbies!

Yes I did attend Anderson's A-Days along with USC's admit weekend so were bound to have crossed paths a number of times!

As for my experiences,

Anderson: It was nice being back on campus again but it also felt very different from undergrad. I didn't realize how isolated Anderson likes to keep themselves and it made me a little bothered from the start. I had a great undergrad experience and was hoping to carry it forward had I decided to matriculate there. As a top California school you had a lot of people who aimed high and seemed to have "settled" on Anderson as they likely were rejected by Haas and/or Stanford. So when I brought up Haas as an option of mine people were baffled and perturbed at times. It was weird and reminded me of how in undergrad there was a clear hierarchy in the UC's that meant you could basically predict where someone did or didn't get in based on where they were a student. So a lot of people had somewhat of a chip on their shoulder about their top choices not working out if you really dug. What it does do is present them a chance to overcompensate about Anderson and UCLA loved feeding into this. I loved my undergrad experience and believe its a school that doesn't get the full credit it deserves. The b school seems to have taken it too far though and I encountered a lot of elitism that even I will admit is not merited. We're great but we're not the best. And that should be ok. UCLA has an interesting inferiority complex I've come to better realize living on the East Coast when I started feeling it myself. I don't think it will ever be perceived as on par with many East Coast schools it deserves to be peers with and perhaps most troubling has been USC passing it in university wide rankings for the first time in history. And as psychology would predict, you combat this by overcompensating. Long story short, I couldn't see myself loving the big school atmosphere as a grad student and wanted to go to a program where I didn't feel like I was competing against my own classmates for jobs. So I sadly nixed the alma mater and had Haas and Marshall as my front runners.

Marshall: I don't need to gush more about Marshall but if anyone would like me to, please ask, as its become very easy for me to do. Much of what bothered me at Anderson turned out to be the total opposite at USC. The school was sure of itself despite a recent hit in ranking yet knew better than to define itself by such a number. The students were the biggest differentiating factor as I found everyone I met to be intelligent and humble. I had forgotten the stereotypes associated with business school until my Anderson visit (I'd call Ross a distant second from my visit) and was so thankful I didn't run into any at Marshall. I probably sound a little "kumbaya" at the moment but let's not forget the image the business world earned itself just a few years ago. I love how active the school has been in embracing social impact (they started a new masters program on this!) and how integrated they are with the Los Angeles community. Faculty were warm and personable and you really understood how the Trojan family (of which I despised only 5 years ago in undergrad) is a genuine part of USC's legacy. I hope more people consider the school and take the time to visit. I visited 12 schools these past 2 years and attended 5 admit weekends this spring. I honestly didn't feel this connected to a school anywhere else. I was impressed at plenty of places but rarely felt a genuine sense of camaraderie or shared conscience. The education you receive at any top school will not vary significantly - its the people in the program and leading the school that will mold your experience. I'm telling you, this is such a special place and hope more people give it a chance instead of just going off a number.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Really appreciate the thoughtful and personal perspectives being shared on here. I'd certainly agree with everything shared by Manhattanite and Christine!

This thread made for some great reading for a future Trojan like myself. I absolutely had to get on board and share my appreciation.

Fight on!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FightOnTrojans wrote:
Really appreciate the thoughtful and personal perspectives being shared on here. I'd certainly agree with everything shared by Manhattanite and Christine!

This thread made for some great reading for a future Trojan like myself. I absolutely had to get on board and share my appreciation.

Fight on!

AGREED!

While it's nice getting the up to the minute application updates, it's even more beneficial to hear some genuine conversation and thoughts. Especially from people who are taking the time to really think the process out. The 13-14 season may be coming to a close but I hope this will be a trend for more threads next year.

Everyone knows the numbers but you don't always hear the stories.

Thanks everyone for sharing. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
There seem to be a lot of UCLA grads at Marshall - curious what happens when games roll around?

;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Sorry for the late updates! I've been busy with friends visiting from home and starting one of my internships this summer at a startup.

I got accepted on 5/21, but didn't look until today. I didn't receive any notification except from the online application portal login. I also didn't get a call or email, nor interviewed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DisillusionedLawyer wrote:
Sorry for the late updates! I've been busy with friends visiting from home and starting one of my internships this summer at a startup.

I got accepted on 5/21, but didn't look until today. I didn't receive any notification except from the online application portal login. I also didn't get a call or email, nor interviewed.

Congratulations and thanks for updating us all!

Interesting that it sort of flew under the radar….

Regardless - it's clearly a testament to your caliber. Excited you'll be joining us at Marshall! Have you swung by Popovich to check in with admissions?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
christinemmx86 wrote:
DisillusionedLawyer wrote:

Congratulations and thanks for updating us all!

Interesting that it sort of flew under the radar….

Regardless - it's clearly a testament to your caliber. Excited you'll be joining us at Marshall! Have you swung by Popovich to check in with admissions?

Not yet! I will be soon though. It will be nice to get out of the concrete dungeon known as Gould. Haha
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FightOnTrojans wrote:
There seem to be a lot of UCLA grads at Marshall - curious what happens when games roll around?

;)

Hah, good question. I'm not ashamed of my undergrad Bruin roots but my Anderson experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I'm guessing it may be time to move on and embrace the new. There's no way I'm becoming a die-hard USC fan, but I'm definitely already sporting the Cardinal and Gold with pride as it is.

At Admit Weekend they spoke about how there's always a contingent of Bruins who wear their colors on Game Day. I don't think I'm that brave. Lol.

Call me a traitor but I think I'm officially a convert. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Lol, that's probably best. I've heard tailgates are an epic time to network with alums who come out in full force.

You definitely want to be wearing the right colors in front of the ol' Trojan Network :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Is Round 3 complete? Any new admits this week?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The admissions decisions at USC Marshall don't make much sense to me. How was I rejected by USC but accepted to Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson and several other schools ranked above USC?? Does it make a difference that I applied right before the deadline?? I find it a bit comical that I would get accepted into Haas and yet rejected by this school!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Star838 wrote:
The admissions decisions at USC Marshall don't make much sense to me. How was I rejected by USC but accepted to Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson and several other schools ranked above USC?? Does it make a difference that I applied right before the deadline?? I find it a bit comical that I would get accepted into Haas and yet rejected by this school!

Round 3 is a mysterious thing. From what I've heard UCLA had a lower yield than they expected for Rounds 1/2 while USC was higher than predicted.

It's all a numbers game for Round 3 which is why it's often "unpredictable." That said, USC's numbers aren't a far cry from UCLA or Haas. If you update the school with this year's employment statistics its shoots up in rank quite well so keep that in mind. But you're right that it is a surprise if you were in at Haas. Probably just an issue of timing as I believe they handle Round 3 in a rolling fashion.

But you do have great options. I found myself loving Haas and loathing UCLA after admit weekend. I went to UCLA for undergrad and loved parts of it, just not Anderson. If Haas FT is an option for you - I'd say it's a no brainer. Had I not fallen in love with USC I'd be there for sure.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call and I'm in!

Will see everyone this fall! R3 applicant, interviewed on May 15. I'll introduce myself and give some more details about myself later, just wanted to share the news ASAP as I imagine some folks must be eagerly staring at their phones today.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
holycao11 wrote:

Will see everyone this fall! R3 applicant, interviewed on May 15. I'll introduce myself and give some more details about myself later, just wanted to share the news ASAP as I imagine some folks must be eagerly staring at their phones today.

Congrats!!! Any other decisions today?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
holycao11 wrote:

Also, I forgot to ask, but did your status change online?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
sv2016 wrote:
holycao11 wrote:

Also, I forgot to ask, but did your status change online?

Just checked online and still shows nothing. I was told I should be expecting the packet in the mail sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts