Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Schulich '16
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Hult 2014 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hi,

I am planning for HULT one year MBA, but I am bit sceptical about it because of lot of negative reviews across various sites. Most of the reviews said about teaching not good, poor class profile and poor placement. As per one post I saw, the faculty profiles are good but not sure which site.

In terms of placement, I saw the placement statistics of 2013 and it looks good, but why so much negative reviews.

https://ak-media.hult.edu/~/media/Hult/2014%20downloads/MBA/Hult14_Career_Booklet_MBA_DIGITAL.ashx

Please throw some light on how far HULT one year MBA is good.
my two cents - caveat, I don't go there but I have 2 friends that did and graduated 2 years ago.

Hult is one of those schools that is what you make of it. It is 1 year, you get to say you have an MBA and it lets you gain international experience. Both people I know were in the SF campus and did time in Dubai (and one in China as well).

Here is how I see it, if you are American, want to stay in a similar field and want to improve your profile a bit, it might help. But it will cost a lot. If you are international, unless you just want to be able to slap MBA after your name, it is not going to do that much (unless of course, slapping MBA after your names helps in your home country).

Here is how it broke down. First person was American. Was in consulting before Hult (but one of the "tech consulting" not MBB). Add that they got they consulting gig through connections and not because they had the typical consulting profile (ie, sub 3.0 or close to 3.0 undergrad gpa). Worked there for 2 years before Hult. Went to Hult, was EXTREMELY active. Organized case competitions, liaised with professors - all of which gave good contacts (especially organizing those competitions). Did a stint in Dubai & China. After Hult, didn't have a job right away bc finished in China (note, EVERYONE says make your final term be in the US). Some family issues after but eventually got a consulting job with Accenture. starting pay in the 70s (which was approx. a 15-20k bump of pre-mba salary but not crazy given amount of student debt). HOWEVER, has been fast tracked in ACN and is close to the 100k mark after 1.5yrs. Also, other "prestige" companies have started knocking (think google, apple, yahoo). So was it worth it? You have to decide.

2nd scenario. intl student. Finished in Dubai. No job offer since they were in Dubai. Career services in Hult suck for intls fyi. Spent 1 yr in states looking/applying for jobs. Would get to final rounds and then be told, sorry - no H1-B. Very painful to witness. Thing is, this person also had limited prior work experience - 1.5 yrs in major bank. So the positions they would interview them for were usually not high level enough to warrant the expense of filing for them - they had plenty of qualified US candidates. This person had to go back to their home country (where no one had heard of HULT) and start over again.

I'm sharing these 2 stories so you can pick out the things that might be relevant to you. The first person is pleased with Hult and is still involved with the school. The 2nd person will tell you it was the biggest waste of money of their life. They both agree that career services suck though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V35
Send PM
Any one with Fall 2015 Admits ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I was admitted and I will probably be matriculating there because of its:

1) One-year format
2) Disruptive curriculum
3) International edge
4) Location! (Boston)

I was also admitted at other schools nationally and locally (like Boston University with some scholarship) but I think going for a 2-year program would be too much opportunity cost for me.

I messaged GMATCLUB to start the 2015 thread a couple of times or more already but no response whatsoever. So we will have to continue here... Looking forward for more stories for the year to come.

cabel wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Angelfire, these stories sound very accurate and representative considering how tough it could be for international students to be sponsored by an American company, and Hult as a very high (probably the highest) INTERNATIONAL STUDENT to AMERICAN STUDENT ratio.

Thanks a lot for sharing unbiasedly.

angelfire213 wrote:
my two cents - caveat, I don't go there but I have 2 friends that did and graduated 2 years ago.

Hult is one of those schools that is what you make of it. It is 1 year, you get to say you have an MBA and it lets you gain international experience. Both people I know were in the SF campus and did time in Dubai (and one in China as well).

Here is how I see it, if you are American, want to stay in a similar field and want to improve your profile a bit, it might help. But it will cost a lot. If you are international, unless you just want to be able to slap MBA after your name, it is not going to do that much (unless of course, slapping MBA after your names helps in your home country).

Here is how it broke down. First person was American. Was in consulting before Hult (but one of the "tech consulting" not MBB). Add that they got they consulting gig through connections and not because they had the typical consulting profile (ie, sub 3.0 or close to 3.0 undergrad gpa). Worked there for 2 years before Hult. Went to Hult, was EXTREMELY active. Organized case competitions, liaised with professors - all of which gave good contacts (especially organizing those competitions). Did a stint in Dubai & China. After Hult, didn't have a job right away bc finished in China (note, EVERYONE says make your final term be in the US). Some family issues after but eventually got a consulting job with Accenture. starting pay in the 70s (which was approx. a 15-20k bump of pre-mba salary but not crazy given amount of student debt). HOWEVER, has been fast tracked in ACN and is close to the 100k mark after 1.5yrs. Also, other "prestige" companies have started knocking (think google, apple, yahoo). So was it worth it? You have to decide.

2nd scenario. intl student. Finished in Dubai. No job offer since they were in Dubai. Career services in Hult suck for intls fyi. Spent 1 yr in states looking/applying for jobs. Would get to final rounds and then be told, sorry - no H1-B. Very painful to witness. Thing is, this person also had limited prior work experience - 1.5 yrs in major bank. So the positions they would interview them for were usually not high level enough to warrant the expense of filing for them - they had plenty of qualified US candidates. This person had to go back to their home country (where no one had heard of HULT) and start over again.

I'm sharing these 2 stories so you can pick out the things that might be relevant to you. The first person is pleased with Hult and is still involved with the school. The 2nd person will tell you it was the biggest waste of money of their life. They both agree that career services suck though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V35
Send PM
IvanTango wrote:
I was admitted and I will probably be matriculating there because of its:

1) One-year format
2) Disruptive curriculum
3) International edge
4) Location! (Boston)

I was also admitted at other schools nationally and locally (like Boston University with some scholarship) but I think going for a 2-year program would be too much opportunity cost for me.

I messaged GMATCLUB to start the 2015 thread a couple of times or more already but no response whatsoever. So we will have to continue here... Looking forward for more stories for the year to come.

cabel wrote:

Ivantango - Are you an international student ? which country ? Were you able to get any specific data about the placement of international students.
I too have received an admit for the Boston campus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V32
GPA: 3.55
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I hope people think twice before applying to Hult. They are extremely annoying to deal with and always have different requirements whenever they speak to you on the phone. The amount of spam and calls I've got from Hult because I looked into the program is insane. They were extremely intrusive on the phone kept asking why I wasn't applying and would not stop emailing me for weeks asking about when my application would be sent in. Now by the sounds of things you'd think I was someone with an amazing background, but I am not.. I am just an average applicant. One representative told me they would waive the requirement of the gmat so I could apply on time! The second they said that it raised a red flag and truly showed me that the school was after students and nothing else, they're relatively new so they will take almost anyone IMO. Point being some of you may be attracted to the short program and the ease, but is it worth getting a degree from a school with a questionable reputation? It really does look more like a business than a school, I'd rather spend 2 years in any other school than spend 1 year wasting time and money on a school like this.. you'll gain much more going elsewhere IMO.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

This discussion has been closed due to inactivity. Please start a new topic in the Business School Applications Forum if you have a similar question or a comment.

Thank you,
GMAT Club Moderator Team.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts