Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 12:08 It is currently 08 May 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.67
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.63
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
That is true. The game is not over until it is over. For those who us who interviewed somewhere we have that going for us.

It seems this year Yale and Sloan (R2) were vicious.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Dinged! I feel cheated by MIT because I submitted my application on 12th Jan after they extended the R2 application deadline from 8th Jan. And my application status still shows "Submitted" even after the ding. They said they are admitting fewer students this year ... then why extend the deadline unless you have not received enough apps?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.67
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Um, just saying, I'm a woman with a 770 GMAT and 3.67 GPA and an Ivy undergrad and 4 years consulting experience (though I don't work for MBB) and I didn't get an invite. Not sure about your female-preference theory...

ShouldhaveappliedR1 wrote:
merper wrote:
Dinged as well.

These numbers are so bizarre. They are accepting fewer people now? If they admit 350 out of 4500(assuming number is unchanged from last year, that's a freaking 8% admit rate. That's more selective than Harvard. Also why did the numbers of admits go down by 60? Are the rest LGO or other programs?

Anyway, even if their class size is 400 overall and their yield is 70%, they should make offers to 11% of applicants and probably interview about 20%. They interviewed just about 32%(!!) of Round 1 here, which leaves only 8-11% max for Round 2 JUST FOR INTERVIEWS(assuming the sample at GMATclub is representative of the larger applicant pool and equal round sizes).

Why did I spend $200 on a round 2 app here if they didn't have many spots left to offer? Something is off somewhere here, and I'll be interested to see what their official admit rate is, though they won't break it down by round.

Just a thought: The GMAT club R2 Sloan appears to be heavily skewed towards males. Let's assume that the class of '16 deferral story is even close to accurate (25-50). For a number of reasons, I have the idea that males were more likely to bite on the deferral $$ for a number of reasons. Further, the increase in females as a % of the class from class of '15 to 16' (34% to 39%) supports this theory. Now let's continue this thought process and assume that the Adcom is interested in at least maintaining if not improving upon this 40/60 split.

Now, if we assume the GMAT club Sloan R2 applicant pool is heavily skewed towards males, then perhaps GMAT club's R2 interview percentage actually reflects a reasonable proxy for all R2 males, which is to say very, very low. Probably even more so if you are from traditional backgrounds like myself. Really wish I had done more research on this reality 4 months ago and applied elsewhere. The info was out there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
cdgMBA92 wrote:
Um, just saying, I'm a woman with a 770 GMAT and 3.67 GPA and an Ivy undergrad and 4 years consulting experience (though I don't work for MBB) and I didn't get an invite. Not sure about your female-preference theory...

I'm with you.
Female. 5 yrs leading CPG company. Gmat 760. 3.7 GPA, top undergrad.
Dinged w/o interview hurts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
Christ... I'm sorry. That is insane.

goodluckmba17 wrote:
cdgMBA92 wrote:

I'm with you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
cdgMBA92 wrote:
If you'd like the comfort yourself with data (my favorite way to comfort myself), check out this blog post. It says the MIT acceptance rate goes from 16% in round 1 to 11% in round 2: https://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... ion-round/

A 33% drop is about what I expected. What we have here is something closer to 50-60% or more. That's punishing, and, if accurate, is not fair to keep as hidden information.

I'm not finding any stories for that 50 person deferred cohort from last year. I am, however, seeing stories from 2012 about MIT having to defer 10+ students. If they've been having this problem for awhile, then I have no idea how they let it grow to 50 people suddenly. This year might be the wake-up call for them.

.....except no, they extended their deadline to allow for more applications, didn't they?

Seriously, wtf MIT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all, I'm along time lurker and wanted to share some info because I know not getting an interview sucks (cough GSB).

to give you some data points, I was invited for R2 (not today, the wave from earlier this week) for on-campus. I just did a rough count - there were about 15 spots/day, with 14 days available to choose from. That gives you about 210 on-campus invites. Not too sure if you can interview domestically that's not on campus, and what the number of international interview is (maybe 50-100?). If someone knows what the number of R2 applicants was last year, you might be able to see what the percentage was for R2 invite.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I hope you all have a good weekend and forget about this, best of luck with everything!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I found this info in mba mission insider's guide (2014-2015 edition) - so the practice of offering people scholarship to defer has been done in the past.
Quote:
Sloan typically has a class size of approximately 400 students—roughly 350 in the MBA program
and 50 in the Leaders for Global Operations program (see the Operations Management section
for details), according to the school’s FAQ page—which means the school is on the smaller side for
an MBA program. For the Class of 2014, however, Sloan underestimated the number of accepted
candidates who would ultimately choose to enroll, which pushed the class size up to 431. In an
attempt to reduce the numbers a bit, the school offered partial scholarships to those willing to defer
admission for a year—suggesting that Sloan is truly committed to maintaining a small class size
and the close-knit community feel that accompanies it. Indeed, with 406 students in the Class of
2015, this figure has returned to its historical level, and the school asserts in its FAQs that it has no
intention of increasing the class size.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I am an LGO applicant got dinged. They said my application will be considered for R2, not sure if dinged LGO's get interview/dings from MBA today. Different pages show different dates. Any idea how it works for LGO's?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Dinged :cry: That's my 5th ding in a row!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
goodluckmba17 wrote:
cdgMBA92 wrote:

I'm with you.

Dinged here too (770 3.8 GPA). Looks like I find myself in good company, and we all should have applied in Round 1. For whatever reason, this ding made me much angrier than the other ones for two reasons:

1. MIT makes you (and your recommenders) jump through more hoops with its unusual essay prompts and anxiety -inducing "optional" essay.

2. In hindsight, R2 spots seemed very limited. It feels like a bit of false advertising.

Hopefully this means those of you that got interview slots will have an easy time getting in. Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Drilling wrote:
I am an LGO applicant got dinged. They said my application will be considered for R2, not sure if dinged LGO's get interview/dings from MBA today. Different pages show different dates. Any idea how it works for LGO's?

If email has not been sent out, then I think it probably means that the interview invi will be on a rolling basis until April 1st.
IMO, I think my chances are slim to none.
Sucks, but more gruelsome waiting for LGO applicants including myself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
jbotero08 wrote:
That is true. The game is not over until it is over. For those who us who interviewed somewhere we have that going for us.

It seems this year Yale and Sloan (R2) were vicious.

I agree (from personal experience). My recent results with GSB, Yale, and now MIT have me a bit concerned about being a super borderline candidate at my top choice. It's like the MBA gods want me at peak anxiety the next three weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Wow. The number of dings from qualified candidates is out of control. I feel lucky to have been interviewed, but my experience was VERY different from the round 1 interview reports. Given the competitiveness of this round, I now know why. Guess I just have to wait a month to officially get my ding letter. Best of luck to all of you with your other applications. There are a lot of top notch people on here and I'm sure we will see some impressive admits in the next weeks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM

Originally posted by iamin on 06 Mar 2015, 21:48.
Last edited by iamin on 08 Apr 2015, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Dinged
Good luck to all of you

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Haas '17 (I)
Send PM
Did they send invites to any Indian student for R2 ? I heard there is no R2 interview happening in India this year !!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts