Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vanigoel wrote:
Hi All,

I gave my GMAT today and scored a 700(Q49, V36).

Work ex- 2 years in Financial operations in a big US Hedge fund firm.( M Just 23 years old :roll: )
Graduate in Bachelor of commerce from SRCC
My profile does not seem that interesting as I see people with 5-6 years of experience seeking to apply. Still, I want to know my options and start applying if possible.

Vani,

What i have mentioned for DS1 above this post, applies to you as well.
Since ISB encourages applicants with 2+ (and lesser experience as well, through the EEO option), you should apply.
Play to your strengths in the application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi All,
I recently gave my Gmat and scored a low 680(Q-49,V-32,IR-3,AWA-5). This was my second attempt.
I have a total 5.5 years of experience in IT services, mainly in banking and financial domain. I did Btech in Elect & Telecomm and scored 8.19. I have served multiple roles during my short career(Developer, Sr Developer, Team Lead).
I have been strong at Curricular activities (Runners up at Dist level Badminton, Winner in University level Badminton including singles/Mixed doubles/Doubles, Won many atheletic events) I have also been active in Debates/Mad ad/Dramatics.
I have mainly worked with TCS(TCS is placed among the ‘Big 4’ most valuable IT services brands worldwide) ,for close to 4 years, and COGNIZANT, which is my current organisation. I take pride in working for major Banking projects with prestigious clients such as Morgan Stanley,Barclays,and Citibank.
With 5.5 years of technical skills behind me, I would now like to focus on other aspects of business so that I have a better exposure to business-related topics that is normally not included in the regular engineering studies. An mba will add missing skills to my profile, enhance my presentation skills, and give me a huge opportunity to hone my networking skills while interacting with the diverse crowd. I wish to continue in the financial domain(A bit of domain knowledge does help), although strategy planning seems very intresting.
I plan to apply to ISB. Can someone evaluate my chances?

Thanks,
Souvilibra
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
souvilibra wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Souvilibra

Hi Souvilibra,
If you play your cards right, you are in decent shape. Your GMAT score is low by ISB standard, but its not a deal breaker. we had helped a reapplicant last year, get into ISB with the same GMAT score (even after retake), same years of work exp. and similar cadre of company.
Submitting a strong application, that shows good achievements, clarity of career goals and good articulation during the interview will be key to getting admission.
Reach out if you wish to discuss.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I see many people busy with getting their profiles evaluated by our experts here.
To those who have been through the evaluation, which round are you planning to apply to?
If R1, how are your applications coming up?

Here is a post from last year, which might help you to start your essays (if in case you have not done so):
calling-all-isb-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-170219-60.html#p1375687

Ohh and yes, do not forget your recommendations. They are a very important part of your application.
Make sure you give appropriate time to your evaluator. Ideally the first step after starting your application should be filling out the evaluator details.

I am in for R1. Any re-applicants here gunning for R1? What all are you planning to showcase in the improvement essay?

On a side note, this thread is the place where applicants get to know one-another, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview /school visit experiences, and boost one-another's morale to face the tough admission process.
We have a separate profile evaluation section on GMATClub. Let us try to build this thread in a way that the future applicants can come here and gather useful information without much trouble.
Director
Director
Send PM
souvilibra wrote:
Hi All,
I recently gave my Gmat and scored a low 680(Q-49,V-32,IR-3,AWA-5). This was my second attempt.
I have a total 5.5 years of experience in IT services, mainly in banking and financial domain. I did Btech in Elect & Telecomm and scored 8.19. I have served multiple roles during my short career(Developer, Sr Developer, Team Lead).
I have been strong at Curricular activities (Runners up at Dist level Badminton, Winner in University level Badminton including singles/Mixed doubles/Doubles, Won many atheletic events) I have also been active in Debates/Mad ad/Dramatics.
I have mainly worked with TCS(TCS is placed among the ‘Big 4’ most valuable IT services brands worldwide) ,for close to 4 years, and COGNIZANT, which is my current organisation. I take pride in working for major Banking projects with prestigious clients such as Morgan Stanley,Barclays,and Citibank.
With 5.5 years of technical skills behind me, I would now like to focus on other aspects of business so that I have a better exposure to business-related topics that is normally not included in the regular engineering studies. An mba will add missing skills to my profile, enhance my presentation skills, and give me a huge opportunity to hone my networking skills while interacting with the diverse crowd. I wish to continue in the financial domain(A bit of domain knowledge does help), although strategy planning seems very intresting.

Thanks,
Souvilibra

Hi Souvilibra, Hearty congratulations on your significant GMAT score boost. While your current GMAT score might seem to be slightly on the lower side considering the extremely competitive pool applying to ISB, you had absolutely no chance of making it to ISB, with your old score. So, with your current GMAT score, you definitely are in the ballpark.

As far as your application goes, I specifically think that if you are only showing technical skills as the output for your entire 5 years of experience in the banking and financial IT services domain, then you really are losing out on a significant opportunity to differentiate yourself. I am hoping that through these 5 years, you have garnered a significant domain knowledge that you look forward to build upon, during your stay at ISB.

Based upon what you already know from your job experience and from what you learn at ISB, I would think that you can be a very good fit for some of the very niche and interesting roles such as those of Senior Business Analysts, immediately upon graduation. Such jobs are in fact offered at ISB, by your current company (Cognizant). If you have any specific finance related certifications in your 5 years of experience, whether from your company or from outside, those certifications would further lend credibility to your case.

Bottom line is that in your essays, if you are limiting your 5 years of experience to merely technical expertise, you would be rather hopelessly short selling yourself. A lot of thought needs to go into your essays, so that the essays stand out and compensate for your relatively modest GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
HI ISBeacon,
Yeah I do realize that only tech knowledge will push me further from my goal of global mba from a good college. As of now, I have no certifications except few of them which were done at org level.
Also, I wish to change my industry, so I would like to look beyond IT services.
And one of my friends told me that Finance is not the selling point of ISB rather it is strategic planning(may be I'm wrong in the analysis). I have started on my essays, hope it turns out good. Need some more brainstorming

Thanks,
Souvilibra
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
ankur,
can you suggest whether this will help in any good colleges and whether i should apply for isb.
gmat 660(q49,v31).dentist(along with hospital administration and medical tourism course),enterpreunor..
isb>nus>rotterdam erasmus..(my priority,though isb takes 80% of that priority)

Thanks
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
punitsar wrote:
ankur,
can you suggest whether this will help in any good colleges and whether i should apply for isb.
gmat 660(q49,v31).dentist(along with hospital administration and medical tourism course),enterpreunor..

Thanks

Hi punitsar! There were quite a few non-IT candidates with a NIFT or MBBS background who made it to ISB with a 650+ . Your chances at ISB will depend a lot on the depth of your experience and how you present the same through your essays. NUS may be difficult because of the high number of Indian applicants and limited seats. Do you have any specific reasons to apply to Rotterdam? You are very likely to make it, but it should only be your last resort.

All the Best!
ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting
Watch how we work: https://youtu.be/01NYw8WUnMk
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone,

I am a current student at ISB. If you have any concerns, please feel free to connect.

Happy essay writing and application scrutinizing!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
punitsar wrote:
ankur,

Thanks

Hey Punit,

You should certainly apply to ISB. Although your GMAT score is below the average, still you can get through if you play your cards well.
Your experience is your differentiating factor and you should try to bring it out in the essays and then in the interviews.

NUS, as ISBManrta also said would be difficult because of the high number of Indian applicants and just around 100 seats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Olin '18 (S)
Send PM
Any current student/ reapplicant please provide your guidance,

A lame question though but do not want to leave anything unturned :

there is a question in the application details asking have you attended any information session.

Answer in my case is NO. Next info session which I can attend is after R1 deadline. I have attended their webinars. Can I mention that yes I have attended info session and then in place column I select others and mention webinar. DOES A NO in this questn gives out a wrong message?

I see that ISB does not require resume as such.I have some academics distinctions such as a interview call from IIM A in 2014, which I could not attend for SOME REASONS, I had a EML in IIT JEE 2007. Wanted to touch up these points in resume but that option is not available. For optional essay I have some other issues to talk about. In optional awards and achievement section I do not find a appropriate place to mention these. Suggest me somethng??Does the distinctions I mentioned make any difference, is it worth mentioning. My gmat is below par and I wanted to cash on these few side notes to establish academic strength.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
All,

I am planning to apply for ISB this year for the class of 2016. PFB the highlights of my profile.

10th : 77%
12th : 79.6%
Engineering (Biotechnology, non IIT/NIT) 70%.
Total of 6.5 years of IT Work exp (Infosys, Deloitte, Currently working as a Consultant at Deloitte).
International Work exp at Singapore (8 months) and UK (1 Year).
GMAT Score 720.

Can you please access my profile and provide me your valuable inputs about my chances this year.

Regards
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Escalate wrote:
Any current student/ reapplicant please provide your guidance,

A lame question though but do not want to leave anything unturned :

there is a question in the application details asking have you attended any information session.

Answer in my case is NO. Next info session which I can attend is after R1 deadline. I have attended their webinars. Can I mention that yes I have attended info session and then in place column I select others and mention webinar. DOES A NO in this questn gives out a wrong message?

I see that ISB does not require resume as such.I have some academics distinctions such as a interview call from IIM A in 2014, which I could not attend for SOME REASONS, I had a EML in IIT JEE 2007. Wanted to touch up these points in resume but that option is not available. For optional essay I have some other issues to talk about. In optional awards and achievement section I do not find a appropriate place to mention these. Suggest me somethng??Does the distinctions I mentioned make any difference, is it worth mentioning. My gmat is below par and I wanted to cash on these few side notes to establish academic strength.

Regards

Hi Escalate! We do not qualify as a current student or a reapplicant, but let's try to address your concerns to the best of our understanding.

If you have attended a webinar, you may very well mention that under this section. Nevertheless, this is more for ISB's internal marketing data than something that may directly impact your application.

Mentioning your IIMA call may be a risky proposition, just in case someone perceives it otherwise. You may mention it during your interview and thus explain the situation better. EML on IIT JEE is also not going to help so much unless you really got into an IIT. People reading your essays do not have access to your GMAT, so unless your GMAT is really low, you may not want any discussion on that.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
saurbhd wrote:
All,

I am planning to apply for ISB this year for the class of 2016. PFB the highlights of my profile.

10th : 77%
12th : 79.6%
Engineering (Biotechnology, non IIT/NIT) 70%.
Total of 6.5 years of IT Work exp (Infosys, Deloitte, Currently working as a Consultant at Deloitte).
International Work exp at Singapore (8 months) and UK (1 Year).
GMAT Score 720.

Can you please access my profile and provide me your valuable inputs about my chances this year.

Regards

Hi saurbhd! Your profile with 720 is likely to interest ISB well. Being from an IIT/NIT does get you some extra points, but you can leverage your experience well to develop a strong set of essays to gain that edge. With this profile, you should also be looking at a few international programs.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Hi this is Soumya

I want to apply for ISB. I have an experience of 5 years working in Power Distribution company, the job involves both technical knowledge and managing people. It is also customer centric. I want to know what are the prospects beyond 1 year of ISB with this experience as this would help my essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shefalijoshi wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a current student at ISB. If you have any concerns, please feel free to connect.

Happy essay writing and application scrutinizing!

Hi Shefali,
I am planning to apply for round 1.
I was going through the official website and found this:
"Registration for the elective courses is through an online bidding process".
I know this would come at a later stage, i.e. post admission, but still wanted to have a clear picture.

Can you let me know what is this bidding process and how it works? Are there any pre-requisites for taking up electives?

Thanks,
Souvilibra
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,
I am Anitesh.
Following is my profile highlights:
GMAT score: 690.
Experience: Overall 6.5 years of exp. Presently responsible as a Module Lead and leading a team of 4 in Siemens Ltd. (Bangalore) Healthcare products. Previous experience in MindTree Ltd. (Chennai and Bangalore).
Degree: B.Tech in Computer Science (Hyderabad), Through-out scholarship holder in engineering career.
8.51 CGPA.
Extracurricular contributions:
- Students` health committee : Established first in-hostel gym in college.
- Founder Member of college music group, contributed as a singer. the group won inter-college competitions also.

I really need help in evaluating my chances in ISB.
Please post a reply.

Thanks,
Anitesh
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts