It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '17, IIMA , IIMB, IIMC , IIMA'17
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 00:31
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have recently scored a 700 (unofficial) on GMAT with Q50, V34 and IR5. My profile is as below:
10th: 78%
12: 62%
BE: 73% from a regular Engg college.
Work Ex(a total of 60+ months): Started working with an IT MNC on CRM for 2.2 years as a part of Sales Force Automation Team. I have been awarded for my contribution in the project which was later declared as CMM5. There, I also contributed in Knowledge management of the project, prompting project members having different area expertise to share their knowledge with each other. I also trained and mentored two new joinees in the project, one of which is serving at onsite.

After MNC, I joined a public sector bank as an IT Officer since June 12, looking after Bank's Network and some relevant IT projects. As a Presiding Officer of election booths, I successfully conducted General Elections 2014 and Local Municipal elections. I have also earned a JAIIB - Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers and a CAIIB - Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers, which are provided by provided by Indian Institute of Banking and Finance.
Extra Curricular: nothing as such.

I wanted to know whether with the above mentioned profile, is a 700 a viable score or do I have to push further on GMAT score? Is the above mentioned profile competitive enough for ISB, IIM-A,B,C?

Hi everyone,
if anyone can provide his/her inputs on the above. Thanks in advance. :)

I have received my Official score report. With other sections being the same, the AWA score is a poor 4.0. Now, should I retake or not?

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 96

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 18:30
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have recently scored a 700 (unofficial) on GMAT with Q50, V34 and IR5. My profile is as below:
Work Ex(a total of 60+ months): Started working with an IT MNC on CRM for 2.2 years as a part of Sales Force Automation Team. I have been awarded for my contribution in the project which was later declared as CMM5. There, I also contributed in Knowledge management of the project, prompting project members having different area expertise to share their knowledge with each other. I also trained and mentored two new joinees in the project, one of which is serving at onsite.

After MNC, I joined a public sector bank as an IT Officer since June 12, looking after Bank's Network and some relevant IT projects. As a Presiding Officer of election booths, I successfully conducted General Elections 2014 and Local Municipal elections. I have also earned a JAIIB - Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers and a CAIIB - Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers, which are provided by provided by Indian Institute of Banking and Finance.

I wanted to know whether with the above mentioned profile, is a 700 a viable score or do I have to push further on GMAT score? Is the above mentioned profile competitive enough for ISB, IIM-A,B,C?

Hi everyone,

I have received my Official score report. With other sections being the same, the AWA score is a poor 4.0. Now, should I retake or not?

Firstly, congrats on the 700. Even by itself it is a good score.

You have a good profile, but let me ask you this: How would you differentiate yourself from the thousands of other applicants from IT Background (Many might have a similar profile and a potentially higher GMAT Scores)? If you have the answer to this then you need to highlight this throughout your application (essays + recos + especially interview). Just food for thought.

Bluntly, people do get in with a 700. But then for your case, it doesn't differentiate you from many other IT Background applicants. And 4.0 might be on the borderline for the AWA (the AWA is not heavily weighted, but if low, i.e. below 4.0 then might raise some questions).

Others might disagree, but even with a 700, I would say it is a gamble for you (maybe with your PSU experience, you pull it off, maybe you get categorised as an IT applicant and then you will need a lot of luck on your side). I would say, it depends on "Do you feel lucky?"

@Others, do weigh in with your experience.

My GMAT Debrief | My ISB 2015 Interview

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 96

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 02:21
Hi,
Should I give GMAT again to better my chances?

GMAT : 700 (47Q/40V)
B.E. Electronics (Mumbai University - 67% aggregate)
10th/12th 88%/84%
Extra-curricular activities involve volunteering experience at NGO and leading Literary clubs in college
2 years of analytics experience (Mu Sigma/Lowe's)
(will be two and a half by the time I join)
Can write good essays. But i'm a little worried about the score.
Please advise.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '17, IIMA , IIMB, IIMC , IIMA'17
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.66

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 07:53
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

Firstly, congrats on the 700. Even by itself it is a good score.

You have a good profile, but let me ask you this: How would you differentiate yourself from the thousands of other applicants from IT Background (Many might have a similar profile and a potentially higher GMAT Scores)? If you have the answer to this then you need to highlight this throughout your application (essays + recos + especially interview). Just food for thought.

Bluntly, people do get in with a 700. But then for your case, it doesn't differentiate you from many other IT Background applicants. And 4.0 might be on the borderline for the AWA (the AWA is not heavily weighted, but if low, i.e. below 4.0 then might raise some questions).

Others might disagree, but even with a 700, I would say it is a gamble for you (maybe with your PSU experience, you pull it off, maybe you get categorised as an IT applicant and then you will need a lot of luck on your side). I would say, it depends on "Do you feel lucky?"

@Others, do weigh in with your experience.

First of All, thanks a ton gmatbugsme84 for your response.
and Second of all, thanks a ton gmatbugsme84 for your response.
As you have suggested its a gamble for me, either I will have to go back and push for a better gmat score, or I will have to go ahead with apps without looking at the gmat scores. For the time being, I am prepping for Apps. :-D
Can you please shed some light on the gmat score being a factor in scholarships of ISB..
Thanks in advance.

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 21:58
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi everyone,

Hi Alagrai,

Your work experience is good as MNC and PSU sector experience is not very common. But you GMAT score is average. So, while ISB is definitely possible, given that IIMs have 60-70 seats and therefore tougher competition, we see A, B, C as tough. A especially is more than stretch.

So, if possible ( and considering that fact that IIM A and B have introduced Round 2 this year), please retake GMAT and push your to 730 or so to enhance your chances.

We know that you have mentioned that you are not much interested in retaking GMAT. So, ISB is probably your best bet. You can apply to A,B, C but dont really rely on them. Any in case you are keen on going for MBA in 2016, consider a couple of other options for Jan cycle.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 22:01
salcupcake wrote:
Hi,

10th/12th 88%/84%
Extra-curricular activities involve volunteering experience at NGO and leading Literary clubs in college
Please advise.

Hi,

You may not like it but if we put it honestly, you should wait for 1 year and retake GMAT in the meantime. At 2 yrs you are not eligible for Early entry option. So, you will be considered in the regular pool where your profile will not stand out. If you apply next year ( 3+ years of experience) and say with a 720/30/40 on GMAT then you are in for a real chance.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 23:48
salcupcake wrote:
Hi,

10th/12th 88%/84%
Please advise.

With your profile and years of experience, it would be better if you re-appear for the GMAT and try to push it to atleast 730.
That will give your profile a differentiating factor.

You might get an interview call with this score also, but after the interview the cumulative score which you need to get the final admit might not be high enough because of the GMAT.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 00:34
Hi,
GMAT 670( Q44 V38, AWA 4, IR 7)
B.E( E n TC) Pune University 61.5% Aggr
10/Diploma--81.2%/83.4%
Work Ex-2.9 Yrs IT( Designation Technical Lead)

As far as the work profile i understand that the pool i belong to is very competitive, so a few add ons.
- Promoted twice in the 2.9 Years
- Various account level awards
- Designated Idea Champion for my involvement in the innovation and service improvement initiatives of my account roughly contributing 150K $ benefits to the client.
- ITIL Certified would be completing my Six Sigma Yellow Belt also before the round 1.
- Have been leading the operations part in my account since last 1.5 yrs.

Extra Curricular (Nothing Fancy though)

- House Captain in School
- Mr. Personality in Diploma
- Won 1st prize in Zonal Level TT events and Represented Diploma College in State Level TT events for 2 consecutive years.
- Best Dressed Student Award in Engineering.
- Organized Educational and Recreational Tours for 2 consecutive years in Engg, with the Final Year tour being of the budget of around 6lcs.

Want to apply in Round 1 itself, i am thinking of retaking my gmat as i lost a few cherry marks in quant, can definitely aim at 730+.
So my queries are if a high GMAT score would help considering my profile? or the present one can also suffice?

PS: This was my 2nd attempt at GMAT, first being last year a totally ill prepared attempt (550).

Thanks for your inputs in advance :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:23
Hey,
Was thinking of applying to ISB this year. Took GMAT and scored 760 (q50 v41 awa5 ir5). have a GPA of 8.65/10 from top 10 engineering college.
10th - 91.2
12th - 86.5
Am from a mechanical engineering background and have been working with a major automobile company in the PM wing of its R&D department. I want to get into consulting. Having had 2 years of work experience and not so great Extra curriculars, how good are my chances of getting in? Will my comparatively lesser work experience be a hindrance?

Last edited by marknopfler on 04 Aug 2015, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:26
harsh1887 wrote:
Hi,
GMAT 670( Q44 V38, AWA 4, IR 7)
B.E( E n TC) Pune University 61.5% Aggr
10/Diploma--81.2%/83.4%
Work Ex-2.9 Yrs IT( Designation Technical Lead)

Hi Harsh, you have done a good self analysis in fact. GMAT score is definitely low for your profile, but you already have a phenomenal personal accomplishment Harsh, by increasing your score from 550 to 670!

Now you are planning for a 730. Way to go Harsh, but that is frankly your only redemption. Indeed Q44 really pulled you down!

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:30
marknopfler wrote:
Hey,
Was thinking of applying to ISB this year. Took GMAT and scored 760 (q50 v41 awa5 ir5). have a GPA of 8.65/10. Am from a mechanical engineering background and have been working with a major automobile company in the PM wing of its R&D department. I want to get into consulting. Having had 2 years of work experience and not so great Extra curriculars, how good are my chances of getting in? Will my comparatively lesser work experience be a hindrance?

What do you mean by: "Having had 2 years of work experience"? Do you already have 2 years of work-ex? Because if that's the case, you would have almost 3 years of work-ex by the time you join, and so less work-ex will be less of a concern.

Also, while you have a good GMAT score, your professional accomplishments (which you've not listed) and quality of essays will be a key determinant of your chances for interview.

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:32
salcupcake wrote:
Hi,

Yes you should, especially considering your low work experience and slightly common professional profile!

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:49
marknopfler wrote:
Hey,
Was thinking of applying to ISB this year. Took GMAT and scored 760 (q50 v41 awa5 ir5). have a GPA of 8.65/10 from top 10 engineering college.
10th - 91.2
12th - 86.5
Am from a mechanical engineering background and have been working with a major automobile company in the PM wing of its R&D department. I want to get into consulting. Having had 2 years of work experience and not so great Extra curriculars, how good are my chances of getting in? Will my comparatively lesser work experience be a hindrance?

Looks good overall. Your chances of getting in are pretty good. The quantum of work experience is not going to be a hindrance.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 06:41
GyanOne wrote:
marknopfler wrote:
Hey,
10th - 91.2
12th - 86.5

Looks good overall. Your chances of getting in are pretty good. The quantum of work experience is not going to be a hindrance.

Thanks for your speedy reply! Yes I forgot to mention a few things. I have 2 years of work ex as of now.
I have managed a number of new development projects whilst in PM. although not all of them have seen fruition/production I was the coordinator for a number of prototype vehicles; setting up schedules, ensuring adherence to schedules, providing logistics support, and evaluating costs were part of my stint here.

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 06:49
marknopfler wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
marknopfler wrote:
Hey,
10th - 91.2
12th - 86.5

Thanks for your speedy reply! Yes I forgot to mention a few things. I have 2 years of work ex as of now.
I have managed a number of new development projects whilst in PM. although not all of them have seen fruition/production I was the coordinator for a number of prototype vehicles; setting up schedules, ensuring adherence to schedules, providing logistics support, and evaluating costs were part of my stint here.

That looks even better. This means that you have experience across a number of different areas, which will add to your profile. As you have relatively lower experience, you might like to highlight leadership experiences to overcome any (slight) concerns on that front. Other than that, you seem all set. Go for the app.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 00:30
With Stage 2 deadline for ISB YLP just 2 days away, we wish all the applicants good luck with their applications.

In fact, because of the steep timelines associated with YLP, many applicants have their GMAT scheduled in the next couple of days! We wish them good luck with their exam as well.

For future YLP aspirants, this is bit of an advice we would offer, since many students who are consulting with us have consistently had this issue. We have observed various reasons why the GMAT exam date just brushes the application deadline, for a large number of applicants. The main reasons being:

a) Many students are too occupied with their college lives, or

b) Many students overestimate the time they have at hand to prepare for GMAT or

c) Other students underestimate the time it would take them for GMAT preparation

Hence, as the application deadline approaches, panic sets in, since they have to prepare for GMAT and work on the application as well.

Keeping this in mind, we strongly suggest future aspirants to plan out the available time in advance, so that neither their GMAT preparation, nor their application gets compromised due to want of time.

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation

Intern
Intern

Schools: Said'16 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 00:48
Hi

Can you please evaluate my profile

1) GMAT Score- 710
2) Engineer -68.2%
3) MBA from IIT Roorkee-7.62
4) 50 Months of experience in Infosys- Solution consulting and practice team
5) Plenty of onsite experience- I have worked for clients in South Africa, Nigeria, Uganda , Zambia, Kuwait, Mauritius.
6) Extra Curricular- Member of quiz forum since 2011. Have participated and won many quizzes. Campaign leader for Teach for india.

I know my GMAT score is on the lower side. Can someone guide me if i should take GMAT again, or i should give it a shot with this score.

TIA
Jasmeet Singh Bhatia

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 02:30
jasmeetpu wrote:
Hi

Can you please evaluate my profile

1) GMAT Score- 710
2) Engineer -68.2%
3) MBA from IIT Roorkee-7.62
4) 50 Months of experience in Infosys- Solution consulting and practice team
5) Plenty of onsite experience- I have worked for clients in South Africa, Nigeria, Uganda , Zambia, Kuwait, Mauritius.
6) Extra Curricular- Member of quiz forum since 2011. Have participated and won many quizzes. Campaign leader for Teach for india.

I know my GMAT score is on the lower side. Can someone guide me if i should take GMAT again, or i should give it a shot with this score.

TIA
Jasmeet Singh Bhatia

Hey Jasmeet,

Your GMAT score is just fine. Instead of preparing for the GMAT, you should put your time and energy in preparing a strong application.
You have plenty of onsite experience and that will surely help you as you can bring in the diversity factor in the class.

The biggest hurdle for you is going to be the fact that this is your second MBA.
You will have to convince them to take you in the class instead of someone who has not done his MBA. Also, by what it looks like, you seem to be doing good at work, then what is the need for this hiatus. The reasoning should be pretty solid here. I doubt that just by saying that you want the brand might not suffice.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 06:43
ankurgupta03 wrote:
The biggest hurdle for you is going to be the fact that this is your second MBA.

Fortunately ISB is really open to both, people pursuing second MBA, as well as re-applicants. In fact, my batch had a lot of people in both categories, and rightly so.

I am sure Ankur can also vouch for this from his own experience. Indeed, as Ankur pointed out, ISB would want to know what you expect to get out of your second MBA that you did not get from first; and I am sure you have valid reasons for that.

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT Date: 07-05-2015

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 21:26
The information is particularly helpful.. Right now I am considering my options in ISB.. I got a GMAT score of 700, am an NIT undergrad (CGPA of 9.4 out of 10 and above 85% in boards), and worked 2.5 years in manufacturing sector (Tata Steel) and then joined engineering consultancy from the Tata group (1.5 years). I also have some NGO experience. Do I have a fair chance.

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2015, 21:26

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  63    Next  [ 1247 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap