It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 22:03
sghosal99 wrote:
The information is particularly helpful.. Right now I am considering my options in ISB.. I got a GMAT score of 700, am an NIT undergrad (CGPA of 9.4 out of 10 and above 85% in boards), and worked 2.5 years in manufacturing sector (Tata Steel) and then joined engineering consultancy from the Tata group (1.5 years). I also have some NGO experience. Do I have a fair chance.

Experience (around 4 years), academics (consistent and NIT), and brand (Tata) would work in your favor.

GMAT is on the average side, but as long as the application is put up meticulously, things should work out in your favor!

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 96

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 22:16
Short answer, Yes. You have a fair chance.

To slightly elaborate, Applicants have higher GMAT scores also. Do think about how you will showcase your special edge which will be your differentiating factor.

Your GMAT gets you in the ballpark but doesn't give you an edge. You need to bring it out elsewhere.

My GMAT Debrief | My ISB 2015 Interview

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 05:15
Hi

Can someone plz evaluate my profile for applying to ISB 2016 intake batch:

Undergrad GPA : 3.5 (As per GMAC norms)
Work Experience : 7 years in Civil Engineering field as design engineer and project execution engineer
GMAT score : 680 (Taken on 27-Oct-2010) please confirm if the score is still valid to apply for round-1
Academic achievements : University Topper in undergraduation
Class Xii - 89% Class X - 94%

Extra curricular activities : won many competitions in school in painting , debates , elocutions etc.
won various paper presentation competitions in technical fests during college days

As my GMAT score is on lower side, can my rest of the profile put me in a better position for applying to ISB?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 05:19
myth wrote:
Hi

Work Experience : 7 years in Civil Engineering field as design engineer and project execution engineer
GMAT score : 680 (Taken on 27-Oct-2010) please confirm if the score is still valid to apply for round-1

Extra curricular activities : won many competitions in school in painting , debates , elocutions etc.
won various paper presentation competitions in technical fests during college days

As my GMAT score is on lower side, can my rest of the profile put me in a better position for applying to ISB?

You have considerable experience, so will stand a chance even with a relatively lower GMAT score. Your score will be valid for applying to ISB in R1. In case you can retake, do so. If not, focus on the richness of your profile - the civil engineering work you have done, the project management aspects, and the leadership experiences you have had (as applicable).

School competitions are now dated, so you might need to substitute that with other activities done more recently. Also, paper presentation is more academic than extra-curricular (though not part of the formal curriculum). Focus on your ECA side with some more recent activities at work/in college.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 07:26
myth wrote:
Hi

I would suggest the following:

(i) Directly write to ISB about the GMAT issue and confirm with them that the score is valid. I am sure it is, but it's best to get it from them in writing.

(ii) Use the optional essay in ISB application to explain what you had/had not been doing with your GMAT for the last 5 years. As you would appreciate, Admissions committee would be naturally curious to know why you did not utilize your score in these 5 years.

With these in place and with a well crafted application, things will hopefully work out.

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 07:43
sghosal99 wrote:
The information is particularly helpful.. Right now I am considering my options in ISB.. I got a GMAT score of 700, am an NIT undergrad (CGPA of 9.4 out of 10 and above 85% in boards), and worked 2.5 years in manufacturing sector (Tata Steel) and then joined engineering consultancy from the Tata group (1.5 years). I also have some NGO experience. Do I have a fair chance.

Your GMAT score is fine, and not low given the context of your work experience. Your undergraduate CGPA is excellent, and graduating from an NIT, your analytical credentials are well-proven. Further, your work at Tata Steel gives you some differentiation. Focus on the operations side of your profile, what you contributed to, and what you learnt. Operations profiles with manufacturing backgrounds are valued at ISB (and in fact even by top consulting firms visiting ISB, including McKinsey, if you are looking that way). Even otherwise, with manufacturing experience + engineering consultancy experience, your work-ex is strong.

On the ECA side, if NGO experience is the only point working for you there, it might be a slight cause of concern. If not, and you have other points to mention as well, you should be fine. Also, please note that ISB does not look for social contribution or NGO experience per se. They look for a well-rounded profile.

All the best!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT Date: 07-05-2015
Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 21:41
Thank you GyanOne for the information. All of my achievements are heavily academic (was the topper of my undergrad class) even the job in Tata steel was through the pre placement offer after the summer internship. I have particularly no extra curricular activities other than few hobbies. My cause of concern was just that.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 21:50
sghosal99 wrote:
Thank you GyanOne for the information. All of my achievements are heavily academic (was the topper of my undergrad class) even the job in Tata steel was through the pre placement offer after the summer internship. I have particularly no extra curricular activities other than few hobbies. My cause of concern was just that.

Sure. Academic achievements will get you plenty of credit as well. Also, on Tata Steel, what we would emphasize is highlighting the richness of your experience in manufacturing and possibly operations (if that was a component). How you got the job is immaterial. What you did as part of it counts the most.

The lack of ECA could be a slight issue, but perhaps there are possibilities of making that up through other activities in college or at work you may have been involved with. Just exploring possibilities here - difficult for us to comment unless we really look into the particulars there. In case you feel the need, you can also contact us for a free profile evaluation.

All the best!

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 04:49
ptecks wrote:
Hi,

I gave the GMAT and scored a 710 (Q-49/V-35). My GPA is 3.5 and I have done my engineering in IT. I currently have a work ex of 24 months in Testing in the IT Industry. I am targeting ISB Class of 2017. Is there a need for me to give the GMAT again?

Hi,

In our opinion, more than a little better GMAT score an additional year of experience will make your chances much better. 24 months of QA experience makes the candidature weak. Also, try to add diversity in your work ex. You move to analyst role or join a startup.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 05:08
myth wrote:
Hi

Hi,

Your work experience looks good and diversity will help.

We would recommend retaking GMAT because your GMAT score is too old and while ISB will accept it they may doubt the academic potential/ capability as it was taken when you have 1-2 years of experience and were fresh out of college. But more importantly, if you can get a 700 on GMAT, you chances will be much better. School and college fest achievements dont add any value. Everyone writes something.

Given that R1 deadline is in Oct this yr and there is ample time before R2 ( in case you need more) focus on GMAT and then apply.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 07:24
myth wrote:
Hi

I have a slightly different take on this one.
As a b-school, I would wonder why you have not taken your GMAT again if the last one you took was, in any case 5 years old and is below average.
Also we are seeing a surge of people applying to b-schools with your back ground, so a better score will add to your competitiveness in the process.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 09:07
I wasn't sure that the adcom was able to see the age of the school as long as it was valid. Can you please confirm this point?

The GMAT score could be a gamble (kind of neutral for this applicant, doesn't hurt the application but doesn't help it either).

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: ISB '17 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 04:12
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
I wasn't sure that the adcom was able to see the age of the school as long as it was valid. Can you please confirm this point?

The GMAT score could be a gamble (kind of neutral for this applicant, doesn't hurt the application but doesn't help it either).

In this years application, one has to specify the date on which one appeared for the GMAT so, adcom will most definitely know,not through GMAC but through the application itself.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 07:22
ISB Class of 2017 aspirants! All the very best!
You have tons of helpful folks who are part of the thread (Based on experience). Do not hesitate to reach out in case you require any support!
Once again, I wish you all the very best for the upcoming application season! Godspeed!

Cheers,
Rajat

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 09:18
shazam1234 wrote:
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

In this years application, one has to specify the date on which one appeared for the GMAT so, adcom will most definitely know,not through GMAC but through the application itself.

Well, the school can certainly see the test date. But, I was under the impression that they did not care about the age of the score, as long as it is valid.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 09:39
Hello folks,

I am ISB Co2016 student . This forum helped me a lot in my preparation last year. Its time to give back. Shoot out any question you may have regarding the school or the application process

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 10:05
Rajesh942 wrote:
Hello folks,

I am ISB Co2016 student . This forum helped me a lot in my preparation last year. Its time to give back. Shoot out any question you may have regarding the school or the application process

Hello Rajesh!! Would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on the kind of campus life and daily rigours of an ISB student in brief..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Project Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 13:37
Hi,

I am a civil engineer from NIT with post graduation in construction management and 6.5 yrs experience in project planning and contract management.

I scored 610 (Q45 V28) in my first attempt and am planning to re take the GMAT next month. What would be a good score to have a fair chance of getting an interview call ? I have CPI 8.16 in post grads, CGPA 8.16 in B Tech, 81% in ISC (12th) and 90% in ICSE (10th).

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 10:55
soumyanandi wrote:
Hi,

I am a civil engineer from NIT with post graduation in construction management and 6.5 yrs experience in project planning and contract management.

I scored 610 (Q45 V28) in my first attempt and am planning to re take the GMAT next month. What would be a good score to have a fair chance of getting an interview call ? I have CPI 8.16 in post grads, CGPA 8.16 in B Tech, 81% in ISC (12th) and 90% in ICSE (10th).

while there are no good scores that will get you an interview, its always good to have 700+
if you score lower, you can still apply to ISB - submit a great application and hope for the best.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
Rajesh942 wrote:
Hello folks,

Hello Rajesh!! Would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on the kind of campus life and daily rigours of an ISB student in brief..

Since ISB runs one year PGP program, there is a perception that it will be too hectic. Program is so beautifully planned that you don't feel the rigor.

We have 4 hour classes for 4 days. Friday, saturday and sunday are off days so that students can engage in various networking events. Various professional clubs invite speakers from industries so that students can have better view of industry and expected job roles in the industry. One year here requires planning from student's side also to decide which event to attend. It is slightly difficult to attend all the events and maintain excellent academic record.

Apart from it, there are various social clubs for Music/photography/quizzing/Golf/Art/Theatre enthusiasts. And these clubs keep on organising events on regular basis.

ISB has all the facilities to relax in campus for students and spouses. Recreational center has gym, squash court, badminton court, swimming pool, basketball court, and other facilities. It is easy to squeeze an hour or so daily to use them.

In short, PGP program is rigorous but is easily manageable. Just one advice have some road map of what you want to get out of ISB. It will change once you come here but that discussion is for later stage.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2015, 23:22

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  63    Next  [ 1247 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap