Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [71]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [33]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [11]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Located at the very coal mines that provided them with fuel, the use [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi,

This is a clear Modifier sentence.
Located at the coal mines...., (what is located should be here after comma) . steam engines are located at the coal mines. So A and E are out.

C. Distorted the meaning by changing to " allowed an increase " whereas intended meaning is allowed drainage of mines.
D. "allowing water to be drained out of mines" (passive construction) is not parallel to "extraction of deeper layers of coal" (a noun phrase)

B. is clear and concise. Initially i confused for the word water missing but i think its understood in the phrase drainage of mines.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Located at the very coal mines that provided them with fuel, the use [#permalink]
Kudos
What is wrong with option C ?

Is it just wordiness ? I don't think there's any meaning distortion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
RaghavSingla wrote:
What is wrong with option C ?

Is it just wordiness ? I don't think there's any meaning distortion.

There are two major things other than what babuvgmat pointed out.

1st repeating "permitting" is awkward.
2nd the lack of "the" after the second permitting is wrong, as "permitting extraction" doesn't mean anything.

Den
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
"Steam engines cannot allow the increase"
That is absurd

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Tough to eliminate D. The structure is not parallel here. 'water' is not parallel to 'extraction'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [3]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
I don't understand why it is B.

It seems like steam engines is permitting the drainage and extraction. I dont like C for the same reason. subject of "allow" is "steam engine"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
A, C, and E are out.
D has passive form of speech "allowing water to be drained out of mines", and there is a lack of proper parallelism between "allowing water to be drained out of mine" and "permitting extraction of deep layer of coal"
B doesn't have passive construction, and also it has correct parallelism, even the elimination of need to use permitting twice.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DensetsuNo wrote:

This is a pretty hard question, it was the first mistake after a consistent number of right answers.
In my reasoning, I supposed that the steam engine couldn't be the subject of the phrase, since "a steam engine increased" sounded wrong to me, I liked more the idea of "the use of the steam engine increased", if anyone could elaborate I'd appreciate it \(:)\)

" The use of steam engines" is wrong, because the pronoun "them" in the opening modifier requires "steam engines" to be the subject.
(Yet your reasoning that "the use of steam engines increased" is better than " steam engines increased", but then the sentence would be grammatically wrong because of wrong pronoun reference - it is not wrong to say that " steam engines increased").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 990
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
I understand your explanation Mimster. Gerund has to be parallel with an action noun and not only with noun. But in option B the 'drainage of mines' sounds awkward. Whereas in option D, use of the term 'water' adds some meaning. Questions like these, it is tough to figure out whether to go by meaning or pure parallelism rules.!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 714 [2]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
a) the use of steam engines in eighteenth-century England increased coal production by allowing for mines to be drained of water and permitting.
b) steam engines increased coal production in eighteenth-century England by permitting the drainage of mines and the
c) steam engines in eighteenth-century England allowed an increase in coal production by permitting the drainage of mine water and (by) permitting
d) steam engines increased coal production in eighteenth-century England by allowing water to be drained out of mines and
e) eighteenth-century use of steam engines increased English coal production by draining mines and

bad modified :evil:

the drainage of mine water - mine water is not a coal mine

allowing water to be drained out of mines - you can allow an innanimate thing such as water to be drained out. ( water can't perform such task by itself )

steam engines in eighteenth-century England - remove the fluff and you will see a change in the meaning (it was never mentioned that steam engines were in England
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Located at the very coal mines that provided them with fuel, the use of steam engines in eighteenth-century England increased coal production by allowing for mines to be drained of water and permitting extraction of deeper layers of coal.

(A) the use of steam engines in eighteenth-century England increased coal production by allowing for mines to be drained of water and permitting
(B) steam engines increased coal production in eighteenth-century England by permitting the drainage of mines and the
(C) steam engines in eighteenth-century England allowed an increase in coal production by permitting the drainage of mine water and permitting
(D) steam engines increased coal production in eighteenth-century England by allowing water to be drained out of mines and does not fit to the rest of the sentence!
(E) eighteenth-century use of steam engines increased English coal production by draining mines and
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM