Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 20:50 It is currently 08 May 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2553 [12]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42108 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Send PM
In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of [#permalink]
In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of operating profits of a typical local newspaper; in the 1990s this proportion increased to 57%.

A. newspaper; in the 1990s this proportion increased to 57%.
B. newspaper; in the 1990s they increased by 57%.
C. newspaper, in the 1990s they increased to 57%.
D. newspaper; increasing to 57% in the 1990s.
E. newspaper, which increased to 57% in the 1990s.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51490 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
aditi1903 wrote:
In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of operating profits of a typical local newspaper;
in the 1990s this proportion increased to 57%.

• newspaper; in the 1990s this proportion increased to 57%.
• newspaper; in the 1990s they increased by 57%.
• newspaper, in the 1990s they increased to 57%.
• newspaper; increasing to 57% in the 1990s.
• newspaper, which increased to 57% in the 1990s.

E. which cant be used (it almost entirely modifies the noun it touches) Incorrect
D. Dependent clause after ;. Not going to happen!
C. "they" means what? advertising revenues or operating profits? I cant see any other antecedent. However, that cannot be the case as 57% i compared with 40% which is the proportion of advertising revenues.
B. Same mistake as C. Also "increased by" changes meaning by compounding the percentages!

A. Correct. Ambiguity is resolved by "this proportion". "increased to" is logical!

Souvik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of [#permalink]
Kudos
In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of operating profits of a typical local newspaper;
in the 1990s this proportion increased to 57%.

• newspaper; in the 1990s they increased by 57%. "they" refers to "advertising revenues, see rule no.2 below"
• newspaper, in the 1990s they increased to 57%. "they" refers to "advertising revenues, see rule no.2 below"
• newspaper; increasing to 57% in the 1990s. after semicolon, fragment is not acceptable
• newspaper, which increased to 57% in the 1990s. which refers to newspaper

This question exclusively tests concepts of semicolon usage. below are two very useful rules:
1. Semicolon joins two complete sentences. whenever you encounter ; in any question, you must look for fragment errors.
2. Pronoun in the second clause refers to the first noun of the sentence. option B and C contains error based on this concept only.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for [#permalink]
The answer is A
We have semicolon so we need an independent clause that can give us more information .
We are referring to the proportion of the advertising revenues to operating profits.
So we need proportion
In the sentence

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Kudos
Hi bb and Bunuel,
It seems that this question is also discussed in another thread. So, if this is the case, could you merge the topic, please?
Here is the link of another thread:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1980s ... fl=similar

Thanks__
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622277 [0]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi bb and Bunuel,
It seems that this question is also discussed in another thread. So, if this is the case, could you merge the topic, please?

Thanks__

Merged. Thank you.

P.S. Please do NOT tag bb in such cases. Tagging me is enough. Thank you.
Bunuel wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi bb and Bunuel,

Thanks__

Merged. Thank you.

P.S. Please do NOT tag bb in such cases. Tagging me is enough. Thank you.

Okay. You're most welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mailnavin1 wrote:
In the 1980s advertising revenues accounted for approximately 40% of operating profits of a typical local newspaper; in the 1990s this proportion increased to 57%.

• newspaper; in the 1990s they increased by 57%. - In B the problem is not with they. If B read in the 1990s they increased to (instead of by) 57%. This would have been correct. A pronoun after a semicolon, can refer to the noun in the previous clasue Wrong meaning - hence out.
• newspaper, in the 1990s they increased to 57%. - This is a run on. A comma cannot join 2 clauses.
• newspaper; increasing to 57% in the 1990s. after a semicolon it should be a clause. In this case its not. Hence wrong.
• newspaper, which increased to 57% in the 1990s - touch modifier which rule. so wrong.

A wins.

if the which always modifier immediately preceding nouns, the case below is wrong?

eg. I took a picture of my dogs, which are printed today.

pls comment, many thanks~
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sophia0516 wrote:
if the which always modifier immediately preceding nouns, the case below is wrong?

eg. I took a picture of my dogs, which are printed today.

pls comment, many thanks~
Which may or may not refer to the noun just before it.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33424 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

The original sentence correctly uses the semicolon to connect two closely related independent clauses, both of which can stand alone. Furthermore, by starting each of the two clauses with time references, "In the 1980s" and "in the 1990s," the original sentence creates a parallel construction. Finally, the reference to “this proportion” unambiguously indicates that the increase in the second part of the sentence refers to the proportion of “advertising revenues” in the structure of profits, thus maintaining clarity of expression.

(A) CORRECT. This answer choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This answer choice suffers from two errors. First, the verb construction “increased by 57%” incorrectly alters the meaning of the original sentence, implying that “57%” indicates the relative magnitude of the increase rather than the new proportion of “advertising revenues” in the structure of “operating profits.” Second, the pronoun “they” lacks a clear antecedent and could be interpreted to refer either to “operating profits” or to “advertising revenues.”

(C) This answer choice creates a run-on sentence by joining two independent clauses with a comma, rather than with a semicolon or with a connecting conjunction. Further, the pronoun “they” lacks a clear antecedent and could be interpreted to refer either to “operating profits” or to “advertising revenues.”

(D) This answer choice incorrectly uses a semicolon to connect two clauses, only one of which can stand alone. The phrase “increasing to 57% in the 1990s” is not an independent clause and cannot follow the semicolon. Furthermore, by moving the time reference “in the 1990s” from the beginning of the second clause to the end, this answer choice violates parallelism with the non-underlined portion of the sentence that begins with another time reference “In the 1980s.”

(E) In this answer choice, the relative pronoun “which” is used incorrectly. Clauses introduced by the relative pronoun “which” can refer only to the immediately preceding noun. In this case, the relative pronoun “which” refers to “a typical local newspaper,” thus illogically suggesting that “a typical local newspaper” was the subject of the increase. Finally, by moving the time reference “in the 1990s” from the beginning of the second clause to the end, this answer choice does not maintain parallel structure with the non-underlined portion of the sentence that begins with the time reference “In the 1980s.”

Answer: A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts