Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 23:28
Hi someone pls help me.I am planning to retake GMAT after a month.Please suggest me some strategies to pace up my prep(My score is 460 Q35,V19)
Thanks,
Aarthi
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 12:04
aarthis2 wrote:
I didnot do enough of CR and RC.Although I participated in GMAT club forums and tried few questions and got it right,I think I was not thorough with the concepts.I did 1000SC's but still SC is a nightmare for me..In quants I got struck with a question and spent too much time on it,hence I didnot do the last 2 questions.
Aarthi

I think you kind of answered your own question. For the timing issue practice until you can get the question right in less than 3 minutes. If it takes you longer write it down and come back to it later (whether you got it right or wrong). For SC questions, get the MGMAT SC book and study it until you know it inside out. For CR, practice recognizing the patterns, you will see that many questions are structured in a similar way. For RC, practice reading critically tough passages (you may want to spend more time on that if you're a non native speaker like me).

good luck!

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 19:24
Hey guys,

I'm curious what you all might recommend based on my epic fail this past Saturday.

Some background on me: BS in Computer Science working for almost two years. Took a PR classroom GMAT class. Baselined around 450 initially.

I did everything in the PR book, read *some* of the stuff in the MGMAT books. I did almost all of the practice problems in the OG 12 recommended by PR but no more. I would say I have dedicated roughly 10-14 hours a week for the past 7 weeks.

The following are my practice tests- (don't have the Q and V for the MBA ones unfortunately). They were taken in chronological order from when I began studying.

M V T
PR 1 28 25 450
PR 2 25 28 450
PR 3 31 32 530
PR 4 32 28 500
PR 5 32 37 570
MBA 1 640
MBA 2 500

I definitely feel like I have improved and was honestly not terribly nervous on test day. However, my Quant score was horrific. My final score was a measly 510- Q25 V36. I did feel like I was rushing my ass off during the math section, although I feel like I have control of my verbal timing.

And then I took a math section of MGMAT last night and scored a 36Q.. go figure.

So a couple of questions:
1. Should I retake (I'm assuming you're going to say a reaffirming yes) and how long should I study until I do (full time ~8-5 so I have my nights and my weekends).
2. Should I focus just on quant or both?
3. How much would a private tutor for quant help?
4. Bought the OG Quant supplement, planning on doing all of those
5. Any recommendations to get more comfortable with the Q timing?

Thanks guys, I know this is just a post in a forum, but being able to share this story with you all gives me the mental strength to keep at it and to give this thing another shot.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 20:54
mrzebu
1. It depends what your target score and schools are but if you're targeting anything better than the University of Phoenix online MBA program I would retake it. Personally, I studied about 5 hours per week for 2 months and then 15-20 hours per week for a month and half.
2. Based on your score results track record, I would keep working on both, if I were you.
3. I think that private tutors are great if you're struggling with the math concepts but once you master the concepts you need to practice by yourself.
5. See my previous post.

Good luck to you!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:27
bseb wrote:
aarthis2 wrote:
I didnot do enough of CR and RC.Although I participated in GMAT club forums and tried few questions and got it right,I think I was not thorough with the concepts.I did 1000SC's but still SC is a nightmare for me..In quants I got struck with a question and spent too much time on it,hence I didnot do the last 2 questions.
Aarthi

I think you kind of answered your own question. For the timing issue practice until you can get the question right in less than 3 minutes. If it takes you longer write it down and come back to it later (whether you got it right or wrong). For SC questions, get the MGMAT SC book and study it until you know it inside out. For CR, practice recognizing the patterns, you will see that many questions are structured in a similar way. For RC, practice reading critically tough passages (you may want to spend more time on that if you're a non native speaker like me).

good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions bseb.Which book should I follow for CR?Shall I use CR Bible?I want to practice as many CR sets as possible(excluding the OG CR sets)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 00:24
very useful
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 08:27
Thanks, this was VERY helpful

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 04:18
bb wrote:
let me know if you prefer the self-prep route, would be happy to recommend a few books...

Hi bb..
thanx for your great inputs on retaking methods.. id need some help myself.. i tuk the GMAT bout 2 months ago and scored a dismal 580 (Q42, V27).. am not really sure what went wrong as my scores in practice tests were above 600.. but leaving the past behind, (that took me 2 months to overcome) id want to finally start preparing again.. not that i have another choice..but could really use some guidance over how to REapproach.. its clear from the scores that verbal was my weak area but i can really pin point whether its RC/CR/SC.. similarly for quant.. i cant pinpoint on the topics that are weaK for me..except i KNOW that my DS is weak..

Could u suggest a plan that i follow to reach the 700 level? I plan to take the test sometime in Feb 2010 but plan to take the date only once ive scored 700+ atleast in 3 diff tests.. i wish to try the self prep route and below mentioned are the books i have..

1) OG 10TH, 11TH, 12TH EDITION
2) GMAT VERBAL REVIEW - 2ND ED
3) GMAT QUANT REVIEW - 2ND ED
4) MANHATTAN GMAT 8 GUIDES mix of old editions and new
5) KAPLAN ADVANCED
6) KAPLAN PREMIER 2010-2011 EDITION
7) KAPLAN GMAT MATH WORKBOOK
8) KAPLAN GMAT VERBAL WORKBOOK
9) KAPLAN PORTABLE GMAT
10) KAPLAN COMPREHENSIVE 2009
11) POWERSCORE LSAT LOGIC REASONING BIBLE

i believe i have more than i require! but am still lost over the study plan.. Could really use some help.. Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 12:10
Hi Guys,

So just a bit about myself, I wrote the GMAT in June 2010 and got a mark of 480 (22V/33Q). Needless to say this really disappointed me, to the point where I was completely discouraged and not until the last few weeks have I decided to give it another go. I'm still not sure what went wrong that day, but my nerves definitely got to me, and at the same time I know that it's only me that's in the way of achieving a high 600 mark.

I studied for 5-6 months prior, taking the Kaplan in class course and than the online one after wards. On my Kaplan practice tests I was averaging scores of 570, and on the GMAT practice test my highest score was a 610. Closer to the exam I also had a tutor that I saw about 5 times,this is where I felt most of my gains were came from. I'm frustrated at the fact that I put 5-6 months of HARD studying into this, by which I mean 3-4 hours a day and about 6-8 hours on the weekend, and obtained only mediocre results. In fact i've NEVER studied this HARD for anything!

Anyways,
I'm at the point now where I want to formulate a strategy so that I can re-write the GMAT by the end of Feb 2011/Early March 2011. Given that I went through many ups and downs during my past experience with studying and writing the practice tests i'm not to sure where to start. I'm contemplating signing up for another Kaplan course,Veristas Prep course, Knewton course, or just signing up for them online I'm not sure what route to take though. I'm a little bit reluctant to take the Kaplan course again because of the past results. I've read the prep course reviews on the website, but i'm still not swayed by any of them really.

For me this seems to be more of a mental battle. I'm able to understand all the concepts and fundamentals of both the Quant and Verbal sections, but what I found to be the most difficult part for me was finishing the exam sections on time. This held my score back a lot!

Currently I have the OG 12 guide and the kaplan books at my disposal. I guess I need some guidance and motivation to get the ball rolling. In addition if anybody knows of a great tutor in the Toronto area that would be helpful as well!?

The stories on this website are a GREAT PRIMER! I'm glad to have found a website that allows oneself to see that they're not the only ones struggling through this.

NO
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2173

Kudos [?]: 7725 [0], given: 3628

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:10
Expert's post
If you have done a Kaplan course already, I think you can retake the course for free (not exactly sure the rules).
Another thought is that if you are looking to get a quick course and a different one from Kaplan is to take a look at the offer that Knewton has going (it's been available for 2 weeks now and it is not clear yet when will be pulled). The course is $299 and they offer money back guarantee with 50 point improvement: http://www.knewton.com/blog/gmatclub-holiday

Thoughts?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:10
Expert's post
sm1520 wrote:
bb wrote:
let me know if you prefer the self-prep route, would be happy to recommend a few books...

Hi bb..
thanx for your great inputs on retaking methods.. id need some help myself.. i tuk the GMAT bout 2 months ago and scored a dismal 580 (Q42, V27).. am not really sure what went wrong as my scores in practice tests were above 600.. but leaving the past behind, (that took me 2 months to overcome) id want to finally start preparing again.. not that i have another choice..but could really use some guidance over how to REapproach.. its clear from the scores that verbal was my weak area but i can really pin point whether its RC/CR/SC.. similarly for quant.. i cant pinpoint on the topics that are weaK for me..except i KNOW that my DS is weak..

Could u suggest a plan that i follow to reach the 700 level? I plan to take the test sometime in Feb 2010 but plan to take the date only once ive scored 700+ atleast in 3 diff tests.. i wish to try the self prep route and below mentioned are the books i have..

1) OG 10TH, 11TH, 12TH EDITION
2) GMAT VERBAL REVIEW - 2ND ED
3) GMAT QUANT REVIEW - 2ND ED
4) MANHATTAN GMAT 8 GUIDES mix of old editions and new
5) KAPLAN ADVANCED
6) KAPLAN PREMIER 2010-2011 EDITION
7) KAPLAN GMAT MATH WORKBOOK
8) KAPLAN GMAT VERBAL WORKBOOK
9) KAPLAN PORTABLE GMAT
10) KAPLAN COMPREHENSIVE 2009
11) POWERSCORE LSAT LOGIC REASONING BIBLE

i believe i have more than i require! but am still lost over the study plan.. Could really use some help.. Thanks in advance!

Sorry for a delay with the reply - I have missed the notification.
Here is my study plan suggestion - have you considered it?
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:55
Hi bb,

Thanks for you quick reply. I've already taken the Kaplan course twice so I can't take it again for free. But if I decide to take it again they'd only charge me $350 I believe.

The Knewton course sounds good, and it would also be fresh for me, which I think could help. I'll probably end up signing up for it by tomorrow or the end of this week.

In addition to the Knewton, would you recommend utilizing any other sources or books?

Thanks

NO
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 20:19
Expert's post
NoObstacles wrote:
Hi bb,

Thanks for you quick reply. I've already taken the Kaplan course twice so I can't take it again for free. But if I decide to take it again they'd only charge me $350 I believe.

The Knewton course sounds good, and it would also be fresh for me, which I think could help. I'll probably end up signing up for it by tomorrow or the end of this week.

In addition to the Knewton, would you recommend utilizing any other sources or books?

Thanks

NO

Another option (alternative to knewton) is to get the MGMAT Guides. Have you tried any of them?

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 20:48
Nope I haven't tried those yet. I have noticed thought that a lot of people seem to use them or have used them on this site.

Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks bb,
NO
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 16:42
Ya i just signed up for Knewton as well. But if you could recommend some books that would be great as well.

Thanks,
NO
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 08:49
I'm also in the GMAT retake category..boohoo!! I thought I'd never have to look at those books again :cry:
I got a 490 on my real GMAT 3 months back. I need 580-600 to get accepted into my target schools. Planning to retake the test in march last.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 08:51
And, yeah, does anyone here have any opinions on if I should take prep classes(going to be hard for me to afford). I think purchasing the MGMAT books will be a better thing for me. Any suggestions?
**I was scoring about 550 in my GMAT practise tests during my last attempt.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:11
heygirl wrote:
And, yeah, does anyone here have any opinions on if I should take prep classes(going to be hard for me to afford). I think purchasing the MGMAT books will be a better thing for me. Any suggestions?
**I was scoring about 550 in my GMAT practise tests during my last attempt.

Can you tell us more about your strategy for the first test? I took the Kaplan prep class but in hindsight I think that using the MGMAT books would have been enough. A prep class is good if you're not disciplined enough to study by yourself but if you're really committed you probably won't need it. However if you're having troubles understanding the math concepts or the grammar rules then a prep class may help. It's always easier to talk about problems that you run into with an instructor than trying to figure out the solution by yourself.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 13:01
bseb wrote:
Can you tell us more about your strategy for the first test? I took the Kaplan prep class but in hindsight I think that using the MGMAT books would have been enough. A prep class is good if you're not disciplined enough to study by yourself but if you're really committed you probably won't need it. However if you're having troubles understanding the math concepts or the grammar rules then a prep class may help. It's always easier to talk about problems that you run into with an instructor than trying to figure out the solution by yourself.

bseb, I self studied for the first test. I used kaplan books and OG. I also went through 2 chapters of powerscore CR. I gave 7-8 prep tests under times conditions and was scoring 550 average on all of them. Don't know what went wrong in the test :oops: .
I'm ok with my math. I just need a refresher,which probably some strategy guide like MGMAT books will help accomplish. Verbal(hell!!!) - I'm having trouble with understanding the concepts. Not sure if any prep classes hold verbal classes only. I"ll need to find out. I'm pretty disciplined with my study schedules but get caught up with some concepts,especially in verbal, here and there. I doubt if the instructors at a prep class really take the interest to help us with our questions. I had a few freinds attend kaplan/MGMAT classes and said the classes were great to get them on track and act as a refresher but no one had a lot of personal help on their problems. So, I wonder if some good books alone will help me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 11:10
--

Last edited by rockrock on 06 Jan 2011, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2010, 11:10