Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 375
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]
amenon55

Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Like I said in the post,I am not aiming for the top 10 colleges and I work for a product based company(so Non-IT) .So any chances of scholarship with 690 considering I highlight my profile in the best way possible?
also Should I go for one more retake?If I get 730 or so, any chance of scholarships in R3 ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBATeaCup wrote:
So, this is very frustrating! I took GMAT second time and scored 640, exactly the same as last time I took it a month ago. I do not know what else to do. Standardized tests were never my gem so I need to find a way to prove that I am academically capable. I have 3.8 GPA from liberal arts college in USA and majoring in Econ, wrote thesis, for honor for it. I work I finance as an investment associate, have series licenses. And I am willing to take a class of it helps me to prove that I can do it. So what do you guys think? I am applying GSB, UCLA, CBS, Emory and Tepper <<< do you think it's an ok school selection?

Do you know why you make most of your mistakes?
What about Practice Tests? How well did you in practice tests - were they on par or did you get 750's?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
iamnvm wrote:
Hello everyone,

This is just my second post here. I have been following articles on gmatclub for a little over a month, since I started self-prep for GMAT, that is. Before I begin, here is some context:

I am a 25-year-old Indian Engineer (from one of the better-ranked colleges), with a work experience of 3 years (2 years in Consulting/Analytics, 1 year in Entrepreneurship - We run a Structural Design Consultancy)

I took my first GMAT yesterday and scored 710 (Q50 V35 IR8 AWA pending)

I have scheduled a re-take for November 23, 2015

Now, I know there are many threads in which people who score in the lower 700s are advised not to retake the test and to focus on application instead. That said, the reason why I have opted for a retest at such a short notice, apart from the fact that I am keen on applying for the 2016 R2, is that I have identified the reason for my score dropping below expected levels - Critical Reasoning

Following were my GMATPrep scores:

GMATPrep 1: 690
GMATPrep 2: 760
GMATPrep 3: 760
GMATPrep 4: 750

My Manhattan Prep test scores were in the 700-710 range (barring the ones I took during the initial days of preparation, when I scored a couple of 670s)

The thing is, even when I was scoring well in the practice tests, including the CR section, I was never super-confident while attacking CR questions, unlike in PS, DS, SC and RC for which I have solid strategies and am fairly confident)

Currently, I follow the Veritas Prep methodology for CR - To read the question stem first and then focus on the stimulus. I am, in no way, implying that this is a bad strategy. It's just that I never attacked CR questions with the enthusiasm I usually show for other sections; I get extra cautious in the CR section.

As mentioned earlier, the reason for scheduling the retake so soon is that I am applying for R2 2016. Also, I believe that, with a good game-plan and extra practice for CR, and my regular study plan for other sections, a higher score is possible)

With the context set, I request people to suggest ways/books which could help me cross the CR barrier. :)

P.S. I will post a debrief of my 710 soon.

Thanks,
iamnvm

Thank you for your post and congratulations on the 710 - I think most folks in this thread would be happy with this score. However, I can understand how some may not....
It seems your practice scores were on par with your final score, which is a good sign - meaning you can practice more and try to study more and measure your progress by taking additional CATs. That's huge... as you will see many folks in this thread took practice tests and got 700's and then walked away with low 600's on the test day.

Again, congratulations and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Hi All,

I took the GMAT today and scored a 700 (Q50/V33/IR5/AWA Pending).

I wanted to know if I should retake the test given that I plan to apply to only the top 10 B-Schools. Another reason why I am thinking about retaking the test is that my today's verbal score was the least that I have got compared to all other mock tests I wrote in the past. My verbal scores in MGMAT CATs have been in the range of 34-41. And in the two GMATPrep tests, my verbal scores were 37 and 44 respectively. So I know I can do better than a 33.

A brief about my profile:
I am an Indian having a prior MBA equivalent degree from one of the top 10 b-schools in India.
Post MBA my work ex has primarily been in financial services - Corp Strat/M&A/IB.
I have a total of 4.5 yrs of work ex including 1 year of pre-mba.
I am an engineer by graduation from one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India.
My CGPA is not a strong point on my resume: MBA CGPA - 6/10 and 68% marks in engineering

I would also like to know how soon should I retake the test if at all. I want to apply in R2 and with the deadlines approaching, I need to start working on my essays and arranging reccos too.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.88
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
sam2005 wrote:
Hi All,

I took the GMAT today and scored a 700 (Q50/V33/IR5/AWA Pending).

I wanted to know if I should retake the test given that I plan to apply to only the top 10 B-Schools. Another reason why I am thinking about retaking the test is that my today's verbal score was the least that I have got compared to all other mock tests I wrote in the past. My verbal scores in MGMAT CATs have been in the range of 34-41. And in the two GMATPrep tests, my verbal scores were 37 and 44 respectively. So I know I can do better than a 33.

A brief about my profile:
I am an Indian having a prior MBA equivalent degree from one of the top 10 b-schools in India.
Post MBA my work ex has primarily been in financial services - Corp Strat/M&A/IB.
I have a total of 4.5 yrs of work ex including 1 year of pre-mba.
I am an engineer by graduation from one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India.
My CGPA is not a strong point on my resume: MBA CGPA - 6/10 and 68% marks in engineering

I would also like to know how soon should I retake the test if at all. I want to apply in R2 and with the deadlines approaching, I need to start working on my essays and arranging reccos too.

Thanks

IMHO you probably should retake it and try for a better verbal score as your score is rather imbalanced. bb's original post in this thread does advise too that one of the situations where you should retake is if your score is imbalanced i.e.
bb wrote:
You have a have a relatively high GMAT score, but your Verbal score is significantly lower than your Quant score--common with engineers and Indian IT types.
Plus if you think you have a good chance of doing better than 33 in verbal, you should do the retake asap. When I did my first GMAT I had an eye infection and wound up with a 680 score, but I knew I could do better so I re-took it at the earliest opportunity and got a much higher score.

Additionally, because you already have an MBA, the top schools don't appear to look favorably on someone looking to get a second MBA so you need to really work on demonstrating why you need another one in your essays. In between prepping for your retake you should start thinking about the structure of your essay and what key points you'd like to make.

Btw you should probably arrange your recommendations now even if you haven't started on your applications yet. It's advisable to give your recommenders as much time as possible to write you a good recommendation. I sent out recommender notifications after I did my first GMAT test before I re-took it so that my recommenders would have enough time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bb wrote:
You should definitely go thorugh the Kaplan class books again if you can - you will pick something new.

MGMAT SC is good. You can get either MGMAT SC or PowerScore SC - but don't get both as they are pretty much the same. Your SC should improve - make sure you don't move on until you understood each section fully and if you have to - reread 2 or 3 times.

You have probably seen this thread but just in case, gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html here is a 1-2 month study plan for how to get over the 700 hump - any feedback how to improve it is welcome.

For math, not really many recommendations. You will always see some unusual questions on the GMAT - the whole concept of it, so don't get alarmed too much. Just know arithmetic and how to solve word problems and basic combinations/probability.

What is V&M official books?

I want to practice questions on quant but coundn't find a good resource just like OG has around 250. Do you know a good source to practice questions (just sit one day open the link and start solving questions). I know the database of Gmatclub is huge as well but here the questions are divided by topics. Do you have something where there are just questions.

Please help
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, took the GMAT today and got 690 (86th percentile); Q 44 (54th percentile); V 40 (91st percentile); IR 8 (92nd percentile); AWA awaiting score. I'm concerned about my low Quant score. I had a 3.2 at the University of Virginia but a 2.7 in quantitative-like courses. I graduated with a degree in economics and am now an Infantry Officer in the US Army. I'm hoping that my leadership experience both at UVA and in the Army will greatly improve my chances of getting into a top 15 school. Will business schools think I cannot handle the math with such low quant scores? Should I retake the test if I am looking to apply to schools this fall?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Miles
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Perec wrote:
650 :cry: :cry: IR5 Q49 V28 AWA-pending

I'm 32 Russian manager in IT industry.
Aiming to Foster Business School (49th in FT raiting, average GMAT 691, 80% GMAT range 636-730)

Should I retake and postpone application to 3rd round?

Privet Perec,
Usually R3 is a pretty bad round in terms of applying and esp not favorable towards international applicants. However, Foster does it differently since their R1 and R2 are kind of stuck together, so their R3 is technically an R2 for most schools.

However a bit confused about the question. Do you mean the R3 that's due Jan 15th since R2 was in November?
Or you mean Foster R4, which is in March 15? (This not an option for international students)
https://foster.uw.edu/academics/degree-p ... dmissions/
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
bb, thank you for the reply!

You are right, 15th Jan, which I consider as R2, is the last possible option for international students. So no R3! I'm just upset, dissapointed and pissed of todays test - can't formuate my thoughts clearly.

Let me refrase my question. I'm going to apply to several b-schools, of which Foster is the ultimate priority. Considering my relatively low GMAT score and other apects (age, nationality) is it worth trying to apply? Or should I work out alternative plan, such as quickly retake GMAT (super-tight schedule and no time for solid essay preparation), next year application etc...
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
My semi-professional opinion/suggestion would be:

1. R3 is not really a realistic option to depend on, so if you can't apply to R2, then may as well apply next year
2. Foster mailbox is full of Microsoft and Amazon tech applicants - your profile is likely to be considered not unique and definitely well represented. Can you add more value in your application? Think how you could do that via professional growth, experience, etc - you probably had more than the other applicants.
3. I know you are dead-set on Foster but there are plenty of other schools with similar stats that may be just as good and even better that may appreciate your candidacy more.
4. Based on what I am hearing/reading sounds like you can get the most value out of putting your time into Apps rather than GMAT
5. Your age is becoming a problem and will be a problem next year. I think you want to put 110% of effort to get in this year

Based on the above, if I were in your shoes, I would apply for R2 into a number of schools and Foster included (R3 for them) this year and would not consider next year as an alternative or an option. This year or nothing. Since you are so set on Foster, as a last-ditch effort, I would also schedule a GMAT appointment on Jan 2nd or smth like that but do very little prep - mostly focus on applications and only do enough to keep you in shape, and then do one more attempt in Jan just in case you can move the needle another 20-40 points (GMAT has a standard error of 40, meaning the same person can score quite a bit of a difference between 2 attempts). But I would not count on it, it is more of a bet to improve your chances - you need to focus on essays, applications, etc.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi all,

I had registered for the Mock CAT about 3 years ago and purchased the 6-test pack back then. Scored a 710 on the actual GMAT.

I plan to reappear for the GMAT in a couple of months. Are there any additional mock CATs that are available from Manhattan that I can purchase for my prep?
Separately, what are the other mock CATs that have now moved on to the new test taking mode?

Cheers
Arpit
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manhattan hasn't released any new practice tests, but their question bank is pretty huge, so it would probably be at least somewhat useful to retake them, especially since it's been three years and you've probably forgotten most of the questions. Just keep in mind that it's incredibly hard for even the best test-prep companies to copy the style of the test -- particularly on verbal -- so make the official GMATPrep tests a higher priority if you haven't already burned through those.

Veritas and Manhattan have definitely updated their software to allow you to select the order of your GMAT sections, but I'm not sure about any of the others. The GMATPrep software will supposedly be updated in late July.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.81
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi,

I just took the GMAT this weekend and score a 720 overall with a 42Q, 47V, and 8IR.

I am wondering if my low quant score is too much of a red flag for top 10 schools and should retake, or if my other experience makes up for this and I should focus on other areas (extracurricular).

I have my bachelors degree in Finance with a 3.81 GPA, have passed all three levels of the CFA exams, and work in equity research.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Jared
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
jarallen09 wrote:
Hi,

I just took the GMAT this weekend and score a 720 overall with a 42Q, 47V, and 8IR.

I am wondering if my low quant score is too much of a red flag for top 10 schools and should retake, or if my other experience makes up for this and I should focus on other areas (extracurricular).

I have my bachelors degree in Finance with a 3.81 GPA, have passed all three levels of the CFA exams, and work in equity research.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Jared

Whoa, congrats on the great composite and the epic verbal score, Jared! Please send some of that verbal mojo over to our brothers and sisters in the verbal forums. :)

It's hard for me to imagine that schools would be fundamentally worried about your quantitative abilities with a background like yours. Finance degree, 3.81 GPA, CFA x3? That all looks great. Maybe they'll flinch at the 42 anyway, though. And keep in mind that average scores are north of 730 for some of the top programs now -- so as a male applicant in finance, a 740+ would look awfully nice.

More importantly: I'd bet anything that you're totally capable of raising that quant score. Like, by a lot. I'd also bet anything that you made a whole bunch of careless errors on questions that you're capable of handling. Did you happen to get an ESR? If so, you'll probably see all sorts of evidence of errors on not-super-tough questions.

So the biggest reason for you to retake is probably the fact that you most likely have the talent to gain 5-7 extra points on the quant section. So unless you've struggled a whole lot more with GMAT math than with your undergrad degree and your CFA... why not take another shot or two? A 47Q/47V -- or even a 47Q/44V, or something like that -- would put you on much stronger footing if you're applying to elite programs, and I'm pretty convinced that you can pull that off.

Let us know what you decide to do!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey guys.

I need help figuring out what to do next. I've been studying for nearly 4 and a half months already and took the GMAT twice. My first run was a 650 (Q42 V38) on May, so I got the extended report and noticed my main problems were SC and RC. So I focused for an entire month on SC and on reviewing Quant. Two days ago I took the GMAT once again and a lowered 10 points to a 640 (Q43 V35). I bought the extended report once again and noticed a huge improvement on SC but a TERRIBLE performance on RC (and to be honest I didn't practice it much). I feel like I've been out of focus in my study. I feel I can reach the 700 but I think I'm missing something.

Right now I'm focusing on verbal, specially RC to get that boost. Also, my performance on "Arithmetic" could be a bit higher, how can I study for this? What should I do for verbal? I plan to retake the test on 3 weeks. Any advice on this? I'm a little desperate to tell you the truth, I'm tired of this test and all it entails.

Attached is a table with detail from my GMATs. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Attachments

File comment: Gmat detailed report
Gmat summary.png
Gmat summary.png [ 56.52 KiB | Viewed 2628 times ]

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
felipeangelm wrote:
Hey guys.

I need help figuring out what to do next. I've been studying for nearly 4 and a half months already and took the GMAT twice. My first run was a 650 (Q42 V38) on May, so I got the extended report and noticed my main problems were SC and RC. So I focused for an entire month on SC and on reviewing Quant. Two days ago I took the GMAT once again and a lowered 10 points to a 640 (Q43 V35). I bought the extended report once again and noticed a huge improvement on SC but a TERRIBLE performance on RC (and to be honest I didn't practice it much). I feel like I've been out of focus in my study. I feel I can reach the 700 but I think I'm missing something.

Right now I'm focusing on verbal, specially RC to get that boost. Also, my performance on "Arithmetic" could be a bit higher, how can I study for this? What should I do for verbal? I plan to retake the test on 3 weeks. Any advice on this? I'm a little desperate to tell you the truth, I'm tired of this test and all it entails.

Attached is a table with detail from my GMATs. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

GMATNinja has nicely summarized the quant strategies. As far as Verbal is concerned, I believe that you haven't completely analyzed your ESR. I bet that your average time in RCs is very low and in SC/CR is higher than required. If I am correct, first thing you should do is fix the time you take to solve CR & SC. That would generate more time for RCs and hence you will be more comfortable and accurate in them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
Send PM
Hello,

Hoping to get some feedback on potentially re-taking the exam. Background: male, strategy consulting at a top firm, undergrad at top 20 business school with ~3.8 GPA.

1st exam = 640 (Q36 V41)
2nd exam = 690 (Q48 V37)

The drop in verbal resulted in me not quite hitting the 700 mark. I'm confident that I can bump the verbal back up into low 40's and maintain upper 40's in quant. Unsure if it's worth the time, effort, and money at this point.

Interested to hear some of your expert opinions. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12