Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 03:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (02:02) correct 11% (01:13) wrong based on 183 sessions
The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is a reflection of the kinds of demand they are trying to meet. The only cyclist seriously interested in innovation and willing to pay for it are bicycle racers. Therefore, innovation in bicycle technology is limited by what authorities will accept as standard for purpose of competition in bicycle races.

Which of following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?

a) The market for cheap, traditional bicycle cannnot expand unless the market for high-performance competition bicycles expands.

b) High-performance bicycles are likely to be improved more as a result of technological innovations developed in small workshops than as a result of technological innovations developed in major manufacturing concerns.

c) Bicycle racers do not generate a strong demand for innovations that fall outside what is officially recoginized as standard for purpose of competition.

d) The technology conservatism of bicycle manufacturers results primarily from their desire to manufacturer a product that can be sold without being altered to suit different national markets.

e) The authorities who set standards for high-performance bicycle racing do not keep informed about innovative bicycle design.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why is C, pls explain and pls also teach how to tackle assumption question since I am very weaken at this part. Thank you.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 06:39
C for me.

Breaking down the argument
Premise: bicycle racers are the only ones who are willing to support Innovation.
Conclusion: Innovation is limited by what the sport authorities will allow in bicycle races.

Clearly the assumption necessary to bridge the gap in premise and conclusion is :
bicycle racers only want innovations which will be permitted in races.... => C

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 00:49
Conclusion: Therefore, innovation in bicycle technology is limited by what authorities will accept as standard for purpose of competition in bicycle races.

Only C links standard purpose of competition to bicycle racers. Thus the assumption.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 04:06
So it just means that racers only interested in innovation technology, right, other stuff that they are no interested, right?~~

crick20002002 wrote:
C for me.

Breaking down the argument
Premise: bicycle racers are the only ones who are willing to support Innovation.
Conclusion: Innovation is limited by what the sport authorities will allow in bicycle races.

Clearly the assumption necessary to bridge the gap in premise and conclusion is :
bicycle racers only want innovations which will be permitted in races.... => C

Crick
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 11:16
Premise: The technological conservatism of bicycle manufacturers is a reflection of the kinds of demand they are trying to meet. The only cyclist seriously interested in innovation and willing to pay for it are bicycle racers.
Conclusion:Therefore, innovation in bicycle technology is limited by what authorities will accept as standard for purpose of competition in bicycle races.

According to the premise, since only bicycle racers are interested in innovations and are willing to pay for it, they are the sole drivers of innovation in bicycles. However, if the racers also led to innovations beyond those permitted by the authorities, it would weaken the conclusion.

Hence, our assumption is as given in C, that the racers dont lead to any other innovations.

Note: this is a classic case of using negation for assumption questions.

My debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q50-v44-on-my-first-attempt-debrief-118007.html

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 862 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 11:22
tracyyahoo wrote:
So it just means that racers only interested in innovation technology, right, other stuff that they are no interested, right?~~

Actually the opposite:

Manufacturers think that since the racers use only "Type A" bikes for competition, the innovation will be needed only for "Type A" bikes. However, it may not be true because the racers may demand "Type B" bikes for other purposes than competition; maybe for mountain biking, to give gifts, to train others, for pleasure.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 12:33
Assumption questions revolve around filling in the logic gap between the premise and the conclusion AND strengthening the conclusion thereby.
On a tie between two choices, negating the correct choice (assumption) will make the conclusion fall apart.

The answer here is C because
Premise: Tech conservatism of bicycle manufac is reflection of demand type.
Premise: Only racers are interested in and willing to pay for innovation
Conclusion: Innov is limited by what authorities accept as [u]standard for racing

What is the logic gap? Premises say that only racers are interested in innov. Conc says that hence, standards accepted by authorities will decide the innov.
The gap is the assumption, i.e., Racers' demands are limited by standards chalked out by authorities!

Hope this helps.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me to explain this~~ Thx [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 03:13
Also choice E is a red herring choice. It might seem to support. However whether the authorities keep informed about innovation is out of scope. It may so happen that authorities do keep informed but do not accept the innovations as standards!

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 46

The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 22:28
The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is a reflection of the kinds of demand they are trying to meet. The only cyclist seriously interested in innovation and willing to pay for it are bicycle racers. Therefore, innovation in bicycle technology is limited by what authorities will accept as standard for purpose of competition in bicycle races.

a) The market for cheap, traditional bicycle cannnot expand unless the market for high-performance competition bicycles expands.

b) High-performance bicycles are likely to be improved more as a result of technological innovations developed in small workshops than as a result of technological innovations developed in major manufacturing concerns.

c) Bicycle racers do not generate a strong demand for innovations that fall outside what is officially recoginized as standard for purpose of competition.

d) The technology conservatism of bicycle manufacturers results primarily from their desire to manufacturer a product that can be sold without being altered to suit different national markets.

e) The authorities who set standards for high-performance bicycle racing do not keep informed about innovative bicycle design.

Why is C, pls explain ................

Last edited by mun23 on 30 Mar 2013, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 228

Kudos [?]: 1957 [2] , given: 664

Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Mun :)

You for Cr have to follow my strategy (indeed is the strategy to tackle CR is not my invention)

Break the argument, step by step , sentence by sentence. Otherwise YOU will not pick the right one NEVER.

The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is a reflection of the kinds of demand they are trying to meet.

So this sentence says: the manufatures do not produce innovative bycicles because nobody asks them. Try to personalise the argument: you want a bycicle hyper fast, hyper light that is not cheap: it cost even 1 million of $ (is true, it exists)......no you do no really care: you need a standard bycicle. that's it. From now at the top of your head suddenly jumps what, for instance: the vast majority of people want a standard thing.........and so on

The only cyclist seriously interested in innovation and willing to pay for it are bicycle racers.

This stat for me is obviously clear and straight

Therefore, innovation in bicycle technology is limited by what authorities will accept as standard for purpose of competition in bicycle races.

Conclusion: from the premises follow what we already in somehow know: who purchase the top notch are the racers

Is false. we do not know the size of the market share of cheap bycicles but for sure if the vast majority of the people BUY the cheap one or so because the argument says that the high performance b are not purchesed. basically

what accour in small workshop is completely unrelated to our scope

This perfectly fit the bill. Is clear and try to make always in your words: I do not buy a new one unless I'm a racer but I am one in a million, so is impossible that I or other 10 people generate a strong demand for high performance bycicles

Weird as response but I'm quite sure that in the argument nothing is said about national market and so on............nope

Design.........mmmmmm no I re-read the argument and I didn't find clues about........nope

Let me know if all is clear for you

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 1957 [1] , given: 664

Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 03:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 1957 [0], given: 664

Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:11
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 70

Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 21:30
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 08:34
though answer is clearly "C"
I dint understood sentence structure of option "D"
what it is trying to convey?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1193

Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 15:44

Wrong:
Argument is not about expanding market or even that of traditional bikes.

Wrong:
How high-tech bikes are developed is out of scope.

Correct (at the very least, it is the best answer):

Negating this kills the argument, because the negation would show that innovation would not be limited by the standards set by the authorities.

Wrong: Different national markets is out of scope.

Wrong: being informed about high-tech bikes is irrelevant
Re: The technological conservatism of bicycle manaufacturers is   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 15:44