Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ctgmat123 wrote:
I got an email yesterday early afternoon. Coincidentally I was at Yale when it happened watching my old college team play squash at the national championships. I submitted a day or two prior to the r2 deadline so I wouldn't lose hope. I had assumed I missed the boat, but was wrong.

Maybe it's fate ;) Good luck at your interview!

GreenMan wrote:
hi, whats the last date to hear back for an interview decision? could not find that on the Yale SOM website. I don't think it can be much longer.

I am an R2 applicant from Toronto.

This is completely conjecture, but since in R1 the adcom took 2 weeks before the decision date to review apps and not hold any more interviews, working backwards for R2 would mean:

Decisions released: March 28
Last interview day: March 14*
So, last invites would go out by: February 28 (assuming they give you 2 weeks to schedule the interview)

It's possible they could go into early March depending on yield from R1 as well (deposits are due on March 1). I'm just a random person on the Internet guessing though....adcom could invite people all the way to March 28 if they wanted to!

As always, it's not over until it's over so keep hoping!

*Someone with a recent invite could tell when the last available day in the system is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
This is completely conjecture, but since in R1 the adcom took 2 weeks before the decision date to review apps and not hold any more interviews, working backwards for R2 would mean:

Decisions released: March 28
Last interview day: March 14*
So, last invites would go out by: February 28 (assuming they give you 2 weeks to schedule the interview)

It's possible they could go into early March depending on yield from R1 as well (deposits are due on March 1). I'm just a random person on the Internet guessing though....adcom could invite people all the way to March 28 if they wanted to!

As always, it's not over until it's over so keep hoping!

*Someone with a recent invite could tell when the last available day in the system is

As a WL applicant, I'm very much looking fwd to March 1st as well. Hopefully there will be some movement once they have a better idea of Rd1 yield!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I interviewed this past Friday with a very engaging and personable 2nd year. He made the experience enjoyable and fun for both parties. I have to say, though, it was a bit odd sitting in the room with like 20 other people waiting to be called to the gallows. As one person in the room put it, "It's like we are waiting for the Reaping."

So to the rest of those waiting, "MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR!!" :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Long-time lurker, first post. I am a consortium applicant and today received notification of acceptance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call. ACCEPTED AT YALE! Then I thoroughly embarassed myself by yelling "oh ****" to the Adcom director for 3 minutes straight.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hailmary620 wrote:
I am applying to Yale in Round 3. Does anyone know what Yale really means when they say that "they look at all GMAT scores"?

Do they average scores or just see the trend etc. I have taken it few times (5+), so wondering if I should write an optional essay about it.

From what I've heard they just see the trend -- hopefully yours went up :)

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
I am applying to Yale in Round 3. Does anyone know what Yale really means when they say that "they look at all GMAT scores"?

Do they average scores or just see the trend etc. I have taken it few times (5+), so wondering if I should write an optional essay about it.

Yes, it did after half a dozen attempts :). I should be GMACs most valuable customer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary620 wrote:
aerien wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Yes, it did after half a dozen attempts :). I should be GMACs most valuable customer.

Hey hailmary620, hilarious things happened to me when I was taking GMAT. GMAC mailed me after my test and told me that one question in Maths had been wrongly graded and my score will be 10 points higher. To "compensate" (which I don't think giving you a higher score was anything uncool), they offered me a free test. I took the test a month later (actually enjoying testing at GMAC w/o paying $250), and got a higher score. If Yale views taking more than one GMAT as a killer, we could've been in the dead boat already... Btw, I haven't heard anything from Yale now so I have already viewed this as a lost cause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
Ok guys, R1 deposit deadline was at noon ET today. Do we have anymore GmatClubbers matriculating? :-D

Also, has anyone received confirmations about their deposit? I'd hate for something to go wrong and to get that scary "your offer has been rescinded" notice (like someone who missed the deadline did in the Columbia thread!)

Lastly, good luck to all the R2s and R1 waitlisters waiting to hear back! It's March now, so the clock is ticking!

I got nervous about not receiving confirmation but then I saw it within my application update. If you log into the application you'll see that there are two letters from Bruce, one congratulating you and another letting you know that they're reserving your spot.

I forgot that today was R1's big day!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
vikram4689 wrote:
ln0038a wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
Friends,

I am planning to apply in R3. I would like to know about possibilities of getting admitted in R3 (is it substantial or is it almost 0). Also just in case, if i don't get in this time and apply in next year EA/R1, is Yale a re-applicant friendly school ? someone told me Duke is

I've heard good things about re-applicants. Yale is one of the few schools that will provide feedback on a denied applicant, weaknesses and things that you can work on. A friend was rejected last year and spoke to the dean about 2-3 times afterwards about what he needed to do (low GMAT but otherwise woulda been accepted, had he not applied so late).

Best of luck!

so did he get in this time with exact same application. actually, some students at different business school (after seeing my application) are providing similar feedback that i might have tough chances because of already similar candidates in class and might have very good chances next year.

one more thing, even if your friend did not take gmat again then as per dean he would be admitted next year. BUT what did he state in "re-applicant" essay in that case

He ended up not applying this year because he got a new job that he wanted to stick with for a bit.

I think you just have to weigh whether you want to go this year or next year. You'll likely have a better chance next year when they havent already decided on the class make up. That said, if you really want to go next year and think you have a compelling unique story that they dont already have, go for it. If you don't get in, you'll just need to consider all the 'extra' things you'll need to do between applying now and again in September/October.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I love how active this page is, with current students and admitted students heavily contributing. More than once, I've logged in to post a question only to find the answer already here. Talk about a collaborative community!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
naughtyelf2000 wrote:
mba20155 wrote:
naughtyelf2000 wrote:
i didn't receive the email!!! Panic maybe?

Did you interview? The email I got started off by saying "it's been a while since you interviewed"

Yeah.. interviewed a month ago....

Dunno what to make out of it...

weird.. but these emails seem to never predict the outcome of the decision anyway so I wouldn't worry at all. If anything you'll probably receive the email later.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
With all the Tuck and Duke love out there today, I figured Yale needed some love too!

So, to all you R2s waiting eagerly for the next two weeks to go by as quickly as possible, take some time to read through the Yale SOM Blog. And as you may or may not have noticed the recent lack of current student postings here on GMATClub, from the blog you'll see that they're off exploring the world (and basically having much cooler lives than we are sitting here....). Maybe a year from now, we'll all be off exploring Indonesia, South Africa, Brazil, Japan, etc etc etc

And if that's not enough to distract you, have a fun-filled St. Patty's day weekend - in the US, Ireland, or whatever country you're from/in!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Your situation certainly has the potential to make for a great answer. I wrote about quitting KPMG for a position with Protiviti - Middle East. New role, more responsibilities, new culture and plenty of learning.

Originally posted by Pashya on 16 Mar 2013, 05:17.
Last edited by Pashya on 16 Mar 2013, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
Kudos
Chance admits start hearing before the 28th?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
msss wrote:
haxx19 wrote:
aerien wrote:
R1 Admits -- Background Check

Ok, I know, I know -- they tell us to not contact them (the school or the background check company) for info on our status, that we should just wait and more or less, no news is good news.... but I'm bad with the unknown. Reassurance? Commiseration? Anyone? Why can't they just send a quick "Verification Complete" email. It doesn't even have to be a full email, just a simple subject line...I'd be okay with that. *Listens to birds chirping for the next 4 weeks*

*From the admit site:
Application verifications take from 2-6 weeks to complete. Please do not contact Re Vera Services or the Yale School of Management to inquire about the status of your verification. If you do not hear from Re Vera Services or the Yale School of Management within a few weeks of receiving confirmation of payment and release receipt, you can assume your verification is complete.

Also, has anyone filled out the data form yet? I tried to but it kicks me back to the login page. I'm thinking I'll try again this weekend since by that point, hopefully all the bugs will be fixed (unless it's just my browser or something).

I know that Re Vera is already in the midst of doing their checks - one of my recommenders told me she was contacted via email to confirm she actually wrote my rec. I have a hold on my other as I haven't let my current employer know I've decided to leave (potential promo/raise on the horizon). I wouldn't stress it too much, even if there are any issues, Re Vera will contact you to give you a chance to clarify/explain any discrepancies they find. And judging by the fact that they confirmed my rec only via email should show it's not too pervasive a check.

I was able to fill in the data form just fine, though haven't seen anything become of it. Waiting to see when we can create our Yale emails!

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I have not told my current employer that I will be attending business school this fall as I am also up for a promotion in June. Any thoughts on when you'll be giving them the heads up/giving your notice? I've been debating this for a while now because I don't want to burn bridges, but obviously don't want to jeopardize my chances at a promotion if something happens between now and orientation that will prevent me from going to business school. Ahhhh decisions decisions...

I suppose the salient part of my case is that the promotion would occur by end of April, which leaves plenty of room to still give advanced notice. I'll probably let my employer know 4-5 weeks before I leave (mid-July) which should be more than adequate yet still allowing me to save some face as I've been the one pushing for the promo - it would a little odd to get promoted just to provide my termination notice the following week.

In these cases, the most important piece is establishing your timeline for when your promotion would officially go through (since this can often take weeks from when you're unofficially notified), when you plan to provide termination notice, and when your actual last day will be. If your promotion occurs more organically than mine, then you could very well just provide your notice shortly afterward. Now it's also worth noting that the background verification companies often have a hard stop as to when they can no longer adhere to current employer holds. In Yale's case, Re Vera's cutoff is 7/1/13, so you'll also want to factor that into your plans if you're pushing the timing to the limit.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
haxx19 wrote:
I was able to fill in the data form just fine, though haven't seen anything become of it. Waiting to see when we can create our Yale emails!

Thanks, haxx! I tried it again and it worked. I think I just timed out of the system... oh well.

msss wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you, in that I have not told my current employer that I will be attending business school this fall as I am also up for a promotion in June. Any thoughts on when you'll be giving them the heads up/giving your notice? I've been debating this for a while now because I don't want to burn bridges, but obviously don't want to jeopardize my chances at a promotion if something happens between now and orientation that will prevent me from going to business school. Ahhhh decisions decisions...

I haven't told my employer either, but I didn't put a hold on ReVera. I wasn't sure what impact that would have with the matriculation/registration process, if any, so I just bit the bullet and am letting ReVera do what they need to do. On the plus side, I work for a larger corporation and my interaction with HR (whom I'm guessing they'll be contacting) is quite limited... I'm just hoping word doesn't trickle down to my managers in time for my review. And if it does, oh well -- I've made the decision to leave; I doubt I'm up for a promotion since our promotion cycles are lengthy and unpredictable, so worse case scenario they let me go and I have a few months vacation before school. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the worst thing that could happen.

*Goes back into a hole and listens to birds chirping for the next few weeks -- none of this will be "real" until I have access to my own Yale email account*

mba20155 wrote:
alphabetagamma wrote:
lol...I kinda got freaked out too. I freaked out because I saw 'application tips chat' on the side and thought maybe SOM is giving me a hint to start looking into tips for next year.

just saw this too.. just enough of these to keep us on our toes until next Thursday! I hope we will be celebrating haha

For your sanity, I hope they don't send out another newsletter next Wednesday -- that would be cruel!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts