Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 01:54 It is currently 11 May 2024, 01:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73146 [0]
Given Kudos: 18945
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
@BB
Hey, I read your review of Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Quant! Have you reviewed Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Verbal?
I don't think the verbal one has been released in print.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
bb wrote:
heygirl wrote:
bb, great post :) . I had used this thread when I started my Prep. I love the way you have made an 'ultimate plan' and 'hardcore plan' list :-D .I went ahead and blindly purchased the MGMAT guides after reading this thread.

Not sure if I have missed some update( I have not read through all the posts) - has the SC Grail book not been added yet? I am using it and I find it crisp and concise.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Is the SC grail a book or an e-book?

(I usually focus on the books but not to say that we can't add e-books)

bb, it is an e-book. Sorry, I did not know that this thread was primarily for books and not e-books.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I was in the process of ordering some GMAT books from Amazon and am wondering if veritas is a must if you already have all MGMAT strategy guides, I am going to buy Kaplan Premier as if bb has it in the top needed list, its a must, but do want to save money by not having to buy the veritas ones.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
desiaggie1980 wrote:
I was in the process of ordering some GMAT books from Amazon and am wondering if veritas is a must if you already have all MGMAT strategy guides, I am going to buy Kaplan Premier as if bb has it in the top needed list, its a must, but do want to save money by not having to buy the veritas ones.

I think you can skip the Kaplan premier - if you have the MGMAT guide, that's mostly needed to start you out, give you 5-6 CAT tests, but that's it. Unless you can use additional CAT's I would not get it at this stage since you have already covered the MGMAT Books. It is more of an optional at this stage.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Entwistle wrote:
@BB
Hey, I read your review of Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Quant! Have you reviewed Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Verbal?
I don't think the verbal one has been released in print.

I should but I can't effectively use e-books (some kind of a mental block) and really prefer the good old printed version. I will try. If anyone has thoughts, please share/post. I know that Jeff is known mostly for his Math book rather than verbal, so any feedback is welcome!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I've just come across discussions on various boards about the Verbal book authored by Jeff.
No one has done a through review of it so far. However, from what I read, the verbal book is not as good as the math book in terms of value addition.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks bb,
Ok, I will skip veritas and kaplan premier for now, that makes my life easy, what in your view then, is the best route to 48+ quant?

bb wrote:
desiaggie1980 wrote:

I think you can skip the Kaplan premier - if you have the MGMAT guide, that's mostly needed to start you out, give you 5-6 CAT tests, but that's it. Unless you can use additional CAT's I would not get it at this stage since you have already covered the MGMAT Books. It is more of an optional at this stage.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, it really depends on where you are right now.
If you are low, I would start with mgmat math foundations or if younare at 45, would use GMAT club tests or total GMAT math.... Just a few ideas
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@BB
For those shooting for the +50 score on quant, I would like to recommend the book "Quantum CAT" by Sarvesh Verma. Don't let the CAT part mislead you. CAT is the abbreviation for Common Aptitude Test, which is an entrance exam conducted by Indian Institute of Management (they run the best B-schools in India). The book can be used to learn both fundamental and advanced concepts! The book also has a large number of problems. The only disadvantage is that the book contains topics which are not tested in CAT. So users will have to selectively study what's relevant!

Here's the link:
https://www.flipkart.com/quantum-cat-sar ... 8183482678
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks bb, I am at Q45,V38,total 680 after I gave my first CAT, gmatprep 1 on saturday and I started doing mgmat guides, I think moving directly to tougher material may not be wise use of time, plz suggest if you think I should follow some other approach.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Thanks bb, I am at Q45,V38,total 680 after I gave my first CAT, gmatprep 1 on saturday and I started doing mgmat guides, I think moving directly to tougher material may not be wise use of time, plz suggest if you think I should follow some other approach.

That's probably best - the key to the GMAT is to cover the basics very well. If you still are finding gaps, that's where you should focus.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, MGMAT guides are making me realise and grill on many basics I had forgotten, in general I have seen the posts about differences in OG 11 and 12 and also you say that OG13 will be out in 2013, can u tell me how does the difficulty level rise or fall in between editions.

Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Dear experts,

I am planning for MBA admission in 2012/2013. However, I have decided to sit for GMAT in this Nov/Dec, 2011 so that I can take preparation in an already well-understood GMAT method.

As I have 7 more months in hand, I am planning to have extensive GMAT preparation. Good to mention here, I am a-bit higher than average in maths/quants, and a-bit lower than average in verbal. Please note, if God willing, I have the confidence (and have the target too) to reach somewhere very close around 700 (or why not far beyond!).

I have planned to purchase these below mentioned books from Amazon.com reading the reviews in Amazon.com as well as in GMATClub.com. Please leave your comment on the selection.

1. Official GMAT Guide - 12th Edition
2. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides - 4th Edition
3. Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann
4. Combinatorics & Probability (Veritas Prep GMAT Series)
5. Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook
6. GMAT Math Prep Course
7. Kaplan GMAT Verbal Foundations
8. The PowerScore GMAT Sentence Correction Bible
9. The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the GMAT Critical Reasoning Questions
10. Doing Grammar (Any big difference between the 4th and 3rd Edition other than that the price is more around $35 for 4th Edition?)

Additional (which I will buy in September, 2011):
1. Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet w/ Marker
2. Great Application Essays for Business School (Great Application for Business School)

If you see any books overlapping each other or not worth studying/buying, please let me know which one I can scissor off from the list. Would be more grateful, if you could suggest out of the first list (10 books) which one to choose/order first and which one later.

Thank you in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Schawjibb wrote:
Dear experts,

I am planning for MBA admission in 2012/2013. However, I have decided to sit for GMAT in this Nov/Dec, 2011 so that I can take preparation in an already well-understood GMAT method.

As I have 7 more months in hand, I am planning to have extensive GMAT preparation. Good to mention here, I am a-bit higher than average in maths/quants, and a-bit lower than average in verbal. Please note, if God willing, I have the confidence (and have the target too) to reach somewhere very close around 700 (or why not far beyond!).

I have planned to purchase these below mentioned books from Amazon.com reading the reviews in Amazon.com as well as in GMATClub.com. Please leave your comment on the selection.

6. GMAT Math Prep Course
9. The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the GMAT Critical Reasoning Questions
10. Doing Grammar (Any big difference between the 4th and 3rd Edition other than that the price is more around $35 for 4th Edition?)

2. Great Application Essays for Business School (Great Application for Business School)

If you see any books overlapping each other or not worth studying/buying, please let me know which one I can scissor off from the list. Would be more grateful, if you could suggest out of the first list (10 books) which one to choose/order first and which one later.

Thank you in advance.

All the best for your GMAT journey. I think the powerscore SC bible and MGMAT SC book(part of 8 set) will serves the same purpose. the MGMAT SC book is highly recommended by most ppl who have used it. so may be you could leave out 8(powerscore SC book). also i don;t think you will need kaplan verbal books and kaplan workbook(verbal) if u r using the MGMAT books. all the basics that you will need wil be covered in MGMAT SC,CR and RC book. so you could buy 5 and 7 later(if u need it, dont waste money on it now!!)For CR, powerscore is a good idea.
as far as ur prep goes, start with the MGMAT books and that itself will cover most of the concepts that you would need to break the 700 barrier.

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do the 5 MGMAT quant guides cover all the problems from OG (big book and OG quant book), if not what % do you think they cover?

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is a bit of an overkill.
You can see my posts on the first page. You probably will be good with just 1/5th of all these books :)

If you get the MGMAT, there is NO value in getting PowerScore.
The same applies to these:
6. GMAT Math Prep Course

Schawjibb wrote:
Dear experts,

6. GMAT Math Prep Course

Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks bb, the more I read the posts on this forum; the more I feel that in case of GMAT books,less is more :)
There are many books out there, and to each his own, but for me many books make it more confusing, I am only relying on the 4 OGs (12th, 11th,verbal and quant), 8 manhattan guides and 2 or 3 books from the kaplan available from my library (except for kaplan premier which I don't have and will skip buying as bb said it might be not needed given the other material I am using), I feel confident this should take me to 700 if I am thorough with just these books! Now my question: is that a wrong assumption,,, can I do without books like aristotle grail SC or powerscore books or are they an absolute must, I really need some guidance here!

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18