It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 03:25
bb wrote:
You actually want to start somewhere other than OG 12 (OG 13 is not out yet :))
OG 12 is for practice only AFTER you have already brought yourself up to a level where you can practice and learn from questions things other than basic math and grammar, which are much faster to pick up from guidebooks. So definitely would suggest you get MGMAT Guides or Kaplan Premier before you sink more time and waste good official questions.

I think I have a new analogy - think of OG 12 as of expensive wine - you would not want to quench your thirst with wine; instead you want to savor it but you can do that only AFTER you are no longer thirsty and can actually pick up the oaky flavor or tart texture. You can swish it around in your mouth and take your time sipping it, allowing it to breathe and get better. But reverse the process and you are you end up drunk/still thirsty/and without wine :)

Thanks BB. I would now go ahead and get the KaplanPremier and start off with that book, and revisit OG :-) Thanks a ton again for the help. I think there is a Kaplan book that has released recently which is,

Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011: Premier (Kaplan GMAT Premier Program (w/CD)) (Paperback)

i guess this is the same as the old one, but a bit more new. hope this serves my purpose !!

Cheers.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 04:19
bb ~
I believe I recently read that you are preparing to retake the GMAT for PHD admission, and you selected the Veritas review program. I recognize Veritas offers more classroom hours, but in review of the recommended resources and books, I do not see their materials receiving any mentions or acknowledgement. So, would you recommend the purchase of the MGMAT or Kaplan bundle in coordination with preparation for the Veritas course? Please, other chime in as well. Thanks. mva

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27222 [0], given: 5006

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 09:03
Mount wrote:
bb ~
I believe I recently read that you are preparing to retake the GMAT for PHD admission, and you selected the Veritas review program. I recognize Veritas offers more classroom hours, but in review of the recommended resources and books, I do not see their materials receiving any mentions or acknowledgement. So, would you recommend the purchase of the MGMAT or Kaplan bundle in coordination with preparation for the Veritas course? Please, other chime in as well. Thanks. mva

Thanks! Nope. Not planning to retake GMAT - quite happy with my 750.
Veritas does not have stand-alone books (only classroom course books). Their books are somewhat popular but are fairly rare/hard to find. You are welcome to do as much as you would like in preparation for the course, just make sure you don't burn yourself out.

Instead of picking the Kaplan Bundle or the MGMAT one, I would perhaps instead get MGMAT Math Foundations and Kaplan Verbal foundations and just cover those two (may be very fast if you are good), and then only after the course when I get my practice test results, would decide if I need additional help. The course should be self-sufficient for your needs and provide you with everything you need for a high score.

If you end up taking the Veritas course, please post your feedback - would love to hear your thoughts.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 09:16
Is the Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan GMAT Premier Program (w/CD)) (Paperback) really that helpful?

I'm reading the reviews on amazon and they are very very mixed. I'm trying to figure out what Gmat books to buy.. and so far, all I have on my list is the OG. I need one good overall review book but the reviews on that Kaplan one are swaying me a bit.

After that, I figured maybe I'd just buy one book specializing in Math, and another in Verbal. I already know i'm going to have to brush up on my Math skills.

What's the best overall review book out there? Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 09:19
gmat922 wrote:

Thanks BB. I would now go ahead and get the KaplanPremier and start off with that book, and revisit OG :-) Thanks a ton again for the help. I think there is a Kaplan book that has released recently which is,

Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011: Premier (Kaplan GMAT Premier Program (w/CD)) (Paperback)

i guess this is the same as the old one, but a bit more new. hope this serves my purpose !!

Cheers.

Yes, same exact thing. Kaplan has not changed almost anything in their books for the past 3 years, so if all of them are pretty much the same (the only variable is the number of typos but it's not bad). I would not buy a used book though as they come with unique online access codes for additional tests and quizzes.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 09:32
GrumpiBear501 wrote:
Is the Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan GMAT Premier Program (w/CD)) (Paperback) really that helpful?

I'm reading the reviews on amazon and they are very very mixed. I'm trying to figure out what Gmat books to buy.. and so far, all I have on my list is the OG. I need one good overall review book but the reviews on that Kaplan one are swaying me a bit.

After that, I figured maybe I'd just buy one book specializing in Math, and another in Verbal. I already know i'm going to have to brush up on my Math skills.

What's the best overall review book out there? Thanks!

The best overall book is Kaplan Premier. It's by far not the deepest book of all of them but definitely the best (between Princeton Review, Peterson, etc). I would challenge you to find something better. You can ignore the reviews on Amazon - there is no better book in its class, but there are definitely better specialized resources, and people's expectations are just not set right. Of course MGMAT CR will be more detailed. Duh.... :roll:

Anyway, I have no interest of selling you on Kaplan - we are not even partnering with them if you notice around the website. Getting specialized books works too - review the other threads (math books and verbal books) for recommendations and please provide your feedback as well if you find something very useful. I own about 30-40 GMAT Books and always look for new stuff.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 11:32
I apologize bb ~
It was actually bkd's post I confused with you. From discovering that, I also found a great side-by-side comparison of Veritas and Manhattan. Very helpful. thanks. mva

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2010, 15:45
My Mathematics and English very both rusty when I started studying for the GMAT. To date I have been through : MGMAT Guides (RC, CR for Verbal and all Gudies for Quant). Additionally, I solved the three guides (published by GMAC) and Kaplan Verbal Workbook and Kaplan Math Workbook. I however have not improved much. Yesterday, I solved the SC section in the Kaplan Verbal Workbook and in each for the three exercises I had four incorrect answers. When I solved the the GMAC Official Guides the last 30% of the questions were just not my piece of cake. My GMAT exam is in 10 days exactly. I had planned to solve all the exams at the end (they would cover all the material so act like a refresher, plus I would work on the timing). Any ideas on how I can improve my GMAT related abilities?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2010, 00:06
If you remember what you covered and you truly learned it, you should not have issues. It is all about the basics, not questions. Solving questions usually does not yield strong results

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2010, 20:55
Your response is very encouraging. At the same time I want to use these seven days wisely. Any suggestions? I have been going through GMAT Advanced and GMAT GMAT Premier Online today (Kaplan). Of course have not completed either. Should I just focus on the tests from this point forward? ANy advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2010, 21:08
alifnoon wrote:
Your response is very encouraging. At the same time I want to use these seven days wisely. Any suggestions? I have been going through GMAT Advanced and GMAT GMAT Premier Online today (Kaplan). Of course have not completed either. Should I just focus on the tests from this point forward? ANy advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, polish your test-taking skills, make sure strategies stick and finally error analysis (print out or save the ones you made a mistake in and then review the last 2 days).

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Schools: INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2010, 00:27
Great post guys! Very very helpful for someone who is looking at selecting study material! Thanks heaps!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 260

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2010, 09:54
Which Kaplan book comes with CAT tests apart from Kaplam premier book as I would do practice while I'll be visiting countryside, where there is no online access. So looking for a Kaplan book with CATs only on CD. And also which MGMAT book comes with additional CAT tests? For example I buy only MGMAT Number Properties, does it come with CATs? or any of the 8 MGMAT guides, similarly does MGMAT RC also include CATs?

I am going to buy them tomorrow, so an early reply would be really helpful.

"I choose to rise after every fall"
Target=770
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27222 [1] , given: 5006

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2010, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
All 8 MGMAT Guides come with online access to the CAT's. The only book from the MGMAT that does not have cat access is the MGMAT Math Foundations

Kaplan Premier 2010-2011 comes with a CD that has 4 tests, one in the book, and one online.

Founder of GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 27222 [1] , given: 5006

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2010, 15:45
bb wrote:
All 8 MGMAT Guides come with online access to the CAT's. The only book from the MGMAT that does not have cat access is the MGMAT Math Foundations

Kaplan Premier 2010-2011 comes with a CD that has 4 tests, one in the book, and one online.

Thanks! for your quick response & suggestion. Definitely, going to get them tomorrow, but I think MGMAT isn't available here so gotta contact some friend for online shopping of one of the Quant books.

kudos +1

"I choose to rise after every fall"
Target=770
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: isa.org

Schools: ISB, India.

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2010, 22:52
hello,
Is Barron's anytime recommended book for GMAT?
My friend is referring to this book for practice purpose but I do not feel to go for it. Any third opinion??
cheers!!

"Great people don't do different things, they do things differently"

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2010, 10:35
target2011 wrote:
hello,
Is Barron's anytime recommended book for GMAT?
My friend is referring to this book for practice purpose but I do not feel to go for it. Any third opinion??
cheers!!

Let's put it this way - have not heard a lot of good things about it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2010, 13:22
Are there any reviews of Jeff Sackmann's books? Total GMAT Math and Total GMAT Verbal are his books. He can be found at a website named GMAT Hacks.

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 27

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 6

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2010, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
I have taken up Kaplan Premier as my first book. Is that a good book to start with??

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2010, 18:10
Just wanted to come in and thank everyone who helped out. I basically had 10 days to prepare for my GMAT and scored 660 on it today (Q-47, V-34). English is my third language, so was still impressed at how I did. I might try and go for a higher score, but at this moment, for my purposes, this seems to be more than satisfactory! Thanks!

Btw, as I had limited amount of time, all I did was the Kaplan Premier. Read the entire books, and did the practice questions for each section (50 questions each). And then a day before the exam, I was able to do both the GMATprep software exams. Not the best preparation, but given time constraints, I thought it went pretty well.

Thanks again!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2010, 18:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19    Next  [ 369 posts ]