Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [73]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [12]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: marketing
Send PM
Re: Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov [#permalink]
Kudos
we need to use future tense, so answers without "will' are elimineted (A and C are out)
"movie set designs" is plural noun, so we eliminate answers with "that" , 'those' is needed( B and D are out)
E is left, thus correct IMO
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
Send PM
Re: Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
daagh wrote:
Yes indeed Stacey prefers future tense, but one small doubt.

William designed the sets in 1942. Now we are talking about future generations of current times i.e., 2011, with a good eighty years flown in between. Now if the future generations of our times will remember him as an architect, How will you describe the remembrance of the people in the interregnum, say in the 1950’s, 1960’s, or 1980’s? (some of whom may not be alive today) Should we use a future tense for them too as of today ? IMO, the future generations points to the future generations after 1942, in which case, we should be happy with using an eternal present - tense verb 'remember' as done in A

Sorry to bring up a rather old post. This is the very first example in the MGMAT guide and I hate the fact that I have a problem with their answer.
I have the same reasoning as daagh above.
"Future generations" could refer to people of post-1947 era, whereas the speaker of the sentence could be basing the entire sentence on the present day. In that case, why do we need "will"?
The only argument I have in support of "will remember" is that if my reasoning were true, "later generations" would have been preferable. However, I find that too small a nitpick.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone please tell me how we know that "that", "those" is referring to the movie set designs? I know the OA is E but that/those could might as well be referring to recognition, in which the case the answer could be B.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abypatra wrote:
Can someone please tell me how we know that "that", "those" is referring to the movie set designs? I know the OA is E but that/those could might as well be referring to recognition, in which the case the answer could be B.

It is generally wrong in GMAT to introduce an example using "like". Thus an example of recognition should have been introduced with "such as".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
My one doubt: Does choice A contain the word 'will' It should going by the underlined part in the prompt. Many transcripts do not seem to carry the "will, straight away rejecting choice A. If you are bent upon using the "will" then future generations 'would' remember might be more grammatical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
marshpa wrote:
A for me.

a. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
b. like those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations
like is not correct here and will is missing in the end
c. like that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
that refers to like
d. including that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
doubtful but prefers A over this.
e. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations
missing will

why you picked those over that. thank you.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saarthak299 wrote:
marshpa wrote:
A for me.

a. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
like is not correct here and will is missing in the end
that refers to like
d. including that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
doubtful but prefers A over this.
missing will

why you picked those over that. thank you.

Hi saarthak299 ,

'Those' is picked over 'that' because we are talking about plural 'designs'.

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild

It means the designs we are mentioning include the designs of 1942 film.

I hope that makes sense.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Perhaps a single set for a film that runs for 90 to 120 minutes is structurally feasible like the mono - acting films of Shakespearean plays of the past, but how logical is that single set feature? This is where meaning comes into practical play in GMAT questions. 'Those' is the logical preference over 'that'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Perhaps a single set for a film that runs for 90 to 120 minutes is structurally feasible like the mono - acting films of Shakespearean plays of the past, but how logical is that single set feature? This is where meaning comes into practical play in GMAT questions. 'Those' is the logical preference over 'that'.

Thanks for this clarification.
Well, looks like, in this case, the question expects us to know the nuances of film-making..or I may be too dumb.
My understanding was that you could have one big "set" for a movie with many "scenes" filmed inside the same set. For example, a quick search found this article:
Bizarre things that happened on the set of Harry Potter
Read More: https://www.grunge.com/36078/strange-thi ... paign=clip

Note that the headline says: set not sets.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sevenplusplus

Yes, the caption says set, but strangely the lengthy article itself does not say 'set', at least as far as I could dabble. This tempts me to think that all of the Harry Potter films were shot on one single set because the title says just 'set'. The article describes many scenes that include a train, a drowning, a tall tree, and a fire accident and so on

Alternatively, is the use of set so idiomatic that we take 'set' as the collective noun for a variety of scenes and move on?

I used to believe at some point in the past that journalistic reporting was superior to GMAT until I saw several goof-ups by journalists
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
FN wrote:
Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will remember him as the architect of the Transamerica Tower, the Malibu campus of Pepperdine University, and the city of Irvine.

Between A and D, what is the difference? That and those, please advice on how to use the two. And, why is THOSE incorrect, here. :)

daagh sir
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rekha

It may be noted here that 'set' is an adjective for the plural noun 'designs'. Therefore, 'that' has no reference. The singular ' that' cannot stand for the plural designs.
'That' as a subordinate conjunction can stand as the connector for the following clause, in which case it can take both singular or plural things.
Example: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled
Here you can see that 'those' doesn't gel in spite of the plural 'expectations'. The take away is: if there is a clause after 'that', do not bother about using 'that'

P.S; Are you sure 'those ' as in A is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM