GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Nov 2018, 23:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:42) correct 44% (00:50) wrong based on 1102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will remember him as the architect of the Transamerica Tower, the Malibu campus of Pepperdine University, and the city of Irvine.

A. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will

B. like those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations

C. like that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will

D. including that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will

E. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations

Originally posted by FN on 18 Jun 2008, 12:36.
Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Nov 2018, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 12:43
A for me.

a. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
b. like those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations
like is not correct here and will is missing in the end
c. like that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
that refers to like
d. including that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
doubtful but prefers A over this.
e. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations
missing will
Manager
Manager
Re: Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 13:08
fresinha12 wrote:
Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will remember him as the architect of the Transamerica Tower, the Malibu campus of Pepperdine University, and the city of Irvine.

a. including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will
d. including that for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild Wind,” future generations will

Between B and E...I will go with B, Like that of the 1942 film is actually a representative example...and like sounds better than including in this scenario...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2009, 04:26
we need to use future tense, so answers without "will' are elimineted (A and C are out)
"movie set designs" is plural noun, so we eliminate answers with "that" , 'those' is needed( B and D are out)
E is left, thus correct IMO

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2011, 09:15
Yes indeed Stacey prefers future tense, but one small doubt.

William designed the sets in 1942. Now we are talking about future generations of current times i.e., 2011, with a good eighty years flown in between. Now if the future generations of our times will remember him as an architect, How will you describe the remembrance of the people in the interregnum, say in the 1950’s, 1960’s, or 1980’s? (some of whom may not be alive today) Should we use a future tense for them too as of today ? IMO, the future generations points to the future generations after 1942, in which case, we should be happy with using an eternal present - tense verb 'remember' as done in A

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 09:31
daagh wrote:
Yes indeed Stacey prefers future tense, but one small doubt.

William designed the sets in 1942. Now we are talking about future generations of current times i.e., 2011, with a good eighty years flown in between. Now if the future generations of our times will remember him as an architect, How will you describe the remembrance of the people in the interregnum, say in the 1950’s, 1960’s, or 1980’s? (some of whom may not be alive today) Should we use a future tense for them too as of today ? IMO, the future generations points to the future generations after 1942, in which case, we should be happy with using an eternal present - tense verb 'remember' as done in A

Sorry to bring up a rather old post. This is the very first example in the MGMAT guide and I hate the fact that I have a problem with their answer.
I have the same reasoning as daagh above.
"Future generations" could refer to people of post-1947 era, whereas the speaker of the sentence could be basing the entire sentence on the present day. In that case, why do we need "will"?
The only argument I have in support of "will remember" is that if my reasoning were true, "later generations" would have been preferable. However, I find that too small a nitpick.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 22:06
Can someone please tell me how we know that "that", "those" is referring to the movie set designs? I know the OA is E but that/those could might as well be referring to recognition, in which the case the answer could be B.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 10:44
abypatra wrote:
Can someone please tell me how we know that "that", "those" is referring to the movie set designs? I know the OA is E but that/those could might as well be referring to recognition, in which the case the answer could be B.

It is generally wrong in GMAT to introduce an example using "like". Thus an example of recognition should have been introduced with "such as".
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 08:56
Top Contributor
My one doubt: Does choice A contain the word 'will' It should going by the underlined part in the prompt. Many transcripts do not seem to carry the "will, straight away rejecting choice A. If you are bent upon using the "will" then future generations 'would' remember might be more grammatical.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 05:28
marshpa wrote:
A for me.

that refers to like
missing will

why you picked those over that. thank you.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 05:58
saarthak299 wrote:
marshpa wrote:
A for me.

that refers to like
missing will

why you picked those over that. thank you.

Hi saarthak299 ,

'Those' is picked over 'that' because we are talking about plural 'designs'.

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the 1942 film “Reap the Wild

It means the designs we are mentioning include the designs of 1942 film.

I hope that makes sense.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 09:36
Top Contributor
Perhaps a single set for a film that runs for 90 to 120 minutes is structurally feasible like the mono - acting films of Shakespearean plays of the past, but how logical is that single set feature? This is where meaning comes into practical play in GMAT questions. 'Those' is the logical preference over 'that'.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 11:21
daagh wrote:
Perhaps a single set for a film that runs for 90 to 120 minutes is structurally feasible like the mono - acting films of Shakespearean plays of the past, but how logical is that single set feature? This is where meaning comes into practical play in GMAT questions. 'Those' is the logical preference over 'that'.

Thanks for this clarification.
Well, looks like, in this case, the question expects us to know the nuances of film-making..or I may be too dumb.
My understanding was that you could have one big "set" for a movie with many "scenes" filmed inside the same set. For example, a quick search found this article:
Bizarre things that happened on the set of Harry Potter
Read More: http://www.grunge.com/36078/strange-thi ... paign=clip

Note that the headline says: set not sets.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 18:33
Top Contributor
sevenplusplus

Yes, the caption says set, but strangely the lengthy article itself does not say 'set', at least as far as I could dabble. This tempts me to think that all of the Harry Potter films were shot on one single set because the title says just 'set'. The article describes many scenes that include a train, a drowning, a tall tree, and a fire accident and so on

Alternatively, is the use of set so idiomatic that we take 'set' as the collective noun for a variety of scenes and move on?

I used to believe at some point in the past that journalistic reporting was superior to GMAT until I saw several goof-ups by journalists

Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 19:16
FN wrote:

Between A and D, what is the difference? That and those, please advice on how to use the two. And, why is THOSE incorrect, here. :)

daagh sir

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 21:22
Top Contributor
rekha

It may be noted here that 'set' is an adjective for the plural noun 'designs'. Therefore, 'that' has no reference. The singular ' that' cannot stand for the plural designs.
'That' as a subordinate conjunction can stand as the connector for the following clause, in which case it can take both singular or plural things.
Example: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled
Here you can see that 'those' doesn't gel in spite of the plural 'expectations'. The take away is: if there is a clause after 'that', do not bother about using 'that'

P.S; Are you sure 'those ' as in A is incorrect?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 20:18

My reasoning:
In this question, those refers to designs, and including modifies designs.
B. like those - the only possibility for this to be correct is if like those refers to recognition. Those cannot refer to recognition. like those cannot refer to designs because question intends to show that the 1942 film designs are of Pereira's.
C. like that cannot refer to designs. Also, that cannot refer to recognition because the first clause is about recognition for designs, the the second clause must be parallel. "like that" would imply that the 1942 reap the wild wind is about recognition and not designs. While parallelism requires it to refer to designs of 1942 film.
D. same explanation as above. that can only refer to recognition, and this is not the intention as per C.
E. will is missing.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 04:51
In case if its helpful.

Including here is not acting as a verbing modifier but rather for giving examples. Ex Such as.

Also in that context those is referring to movie set designs and "those" would be the correct pronoun usage.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t3005.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests
Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 12:51

Manhattan Official Explanation:

(A) CORRECT. The original sentence is correct as written.

(B) The word “like” is used incorrectly to introduce an example. Using “like” alters the meaning of the sentence, implying that William Pereira’s designs were simply “similar to” the designs for “Reap the Wind.” It is preferable to use the word “including.” The present tense “remember” is incorrectly used with the subject “future generations.” The original sentence was correct to use the future tense “will remember.”

(C) The word “like” is used incorrectly to introduce an example. Using “like” alters the meaning of the sentence, implying that William Pereira’s designs were simply “similar to” the designs for “Reap the Wind.” It is preferable to use the word “including.” The antecedent of the pronoun “that” is the plural “movie set designs,” so the plural pronoun “those” should have been used.

(D) The antecedent of the pronoun “that” is the plural “movie set designs,” so the plural pronoun “those” should have been used.

(E) The present tense “remember” is incorrectly used with the subject “future generations.” The original sentence was correct to use the future tense “will remember.”

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

GMAT Club Bot
Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov &nbs [#permalink] 20 Oct 2018, 12:51

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his mov

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap