Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [97]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619072 [38]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: If x and y are nonzero integers, is (x^(-1) + y^(-1))^(-1) > [#permalink]
apologies AmrithS...i forgot to structure the question after posting it...

Thanks a ton ! Bunuel ....a major concept cleared.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619072 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Exponents: math-number-theory-88376.html

All DS Exponents questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=39
All PS Exponents questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=60

Tough and tricky DS exponents and roots questions with detailed solutions: tough-and-tricky-exponents-and-roots-questions-125967.html
Tough and tricky PS exponents and roots questions with detailed solutions: tough-and-tricky-exponents-and-roots-questions-125956.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Kudos
abilash10 wrote:
If x and y are nonzero integers, is (x^-1 + y^-1)^-1 > [(x^-1)(y^-1)]^-1 ?
(1) x = 2y
(2) x + y > 0
I'm not quite satisfied with the official answer for this question from MGMAT

The original question can be reduced to
Is \(\frac{xy}{(x+y)}\) > \(xy\) ?

Statement 1
\(2y^2\)/3y >\(2y^2\)
\(2y^2\) (1-3y)/3y >0 --------eq(2)

If Y is positive, the answer will be + -/+ --->Negative (-)
If Y is negative, the answer will be + +/- --->Negative (-)
Sufficient

Statement 2
x+y>0
If x = + & y = + , then \(\frac{xy}{(x+y)}\) > \(xy\) will be false
If x = - & y = + , then \(\frac{xy}{(x+y)}\) > \(xy\) will be True
Thus Insufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
The original question can be reduced to
Is \frac{xy}{(x+y)} > xy ?

why can i not cancel out xy on both sides ? x & y are both nonzero.
if i do that, i'm left with : is (x+y)^-1 >1.

in which case, statement 2 gives me the answer, since it has a positive denominator
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
damn.. i jus realised that they may be non-zero, but xy cud still be negative.. my bad.. thanks... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi Bunuel - in your explanation above, how do you get from (1/x + 1/y)^(-1) to ((x+y)/xy)^(-1)?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619072 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
cg0588 wrote:
Hi Bunuel - in your explanation above, how do you get from (1/x + 1/y)^(-1) to ((x+y)/xy)^(-1)?

Does not \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{x+y}{xy}\) ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
I solved it this way:

from the original inequality --> is xy/y+x > xy --> is xy((1/x+y) -1) > 0? to satisfy the inequality either xy > 0 and (1/x+y)-1 > 0 or xy < 0 and (1/x+y)-1 < 0.

Notice that 1/x+y is a proper fraction. So unless x+y = 1 this expression (1/x+y) is going to be negative. If that expression is negative we want xy to be negative as well.

statement 1. x=2y --> x/y=2/1 x and y have the same sign. If x and y are negative ((1/x+y) -1) is surely negative and xy is positive. Thus the overall expression is not > 0. If x and y are positive ((1/x+y) -1) is also negative and xy is positive. Thus the overall expression is not > 0.

sufficient

statement 2. x+y >0 we don't know the exact values of x and y. Assume that x is negative and y is positive and x<y then x+y > 0 still ((1/x+y) -1) is negative and xy is negative too, making the overall expression > 0. Assume that both x and y are positive and you end up with the same scenario as statement 1. Assume that x+y=1 and the overall expression becomes 0.

not sufficient.

answer A.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20717 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
If x and y are nonzero integers, is (x-1 + y-1)-1 > [(x-1)(y-1)]-1 ?

(1) x = 2y

(2) x + y > 0

I need to clarify a doubt in these types of questions. Firstly apologies guys for giving away too much info but it is important to clarify a doubt. If you solve the above equations you'll get 1/x+y > 1 ...so my question is why cant you solve it one step further and say is x+y < 1. Now if i follow the initial approach i get 1/3y > 1 for 1st statement so why cant we say 3y< 1. I got my ans wrong because of this . Please can some clarify if i am doing some thing conceptually wrong.

Apologies again for giving out too much.

First of all the question should be:

If x and y are nonzero integers, is (x^(-1) + y^(-1))^(-1) > (x^(-1)*y^(-1))^(-1) ?

Is \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)? --> is \((\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})^{-1}>(\frac{1}{xy})^{-1}\)? --> is \((\frac{x+y}{xy})^{-1}>xy\) --> is \(\frac{xy}{x+y}>xy\)?

Now, from this point you cannot divide both parts of the inequality by \(xy\) and write \(\frac{1}{x+y}>1\) (as you did), because you don't know whether \(xy\) is positive or negative: if \(xy>0\) then you should write \(\frac{1}{x+y}>1\) BUT if \(xy<0\) then you should flip the sign and write \(\frac{1}{x+y}<1\). But even if you knew that \(xy>0\) then the next step of writing \(x+y<1\) from \(\frac{1}{x+y}>1\) would still be incorrect for the same exact reason: you don't k now whether \(x+y\) is positive or negative, hence you can not muliply both sides of the inequality by \(x+y\).

Never multiply or divide inequality by a variable (or by an expression with variable) unless you are sure of its sign since you do not know whether you must flip the sign of the inequality.

Thus the question is boiled down to: is \(\frac{xy}{x+y}>xy\)? Actually we can manipulate further but there is no need.

(1) x = 2y --> question becomes: is \(\frac{2y^2}{3y}>2y^2\)? Now, as we know that \(y\) is nonzero then \(2y^2>0\) and we can divide both parts by it --> is \(\frac{1}{3y}>1\)? As \(y\) is an integer (no matter positive or negative) then the answer to this question is always NO ( if it's a positive integer then \(\frac{1}{3y}<1\) and if it's a negative integer then again: \(\frac{1}{3y}<0<1\) ). Sufficient.

(2) x + y > 0 --> if \(x=y=1\) then the answer will be NO but if \(x=3\) and \(y=-1\) then the answer will be YES. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Dear Bunuel, Could you elaborate on the highlighted sentence as I am confused with the sign :?: :-D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619072 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ziyuenlau wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ajit257 wrote:

(1) x = 2y

(2) x + y > 0

I need to clarify a doubt in these types of questions. Firstly apologies guys for giving away too much info but it is important to clarify a doubt. If you solve the above equations you'll get 1/x+y > 1 ...so my question is why cant you solve it one step further and say is x+y < 1. Now if i follow the initial approach i get 1/3y > 1 for 1st statement so why cant we say 3y< 1. I got my ans wrong because of this . Please can some clarify if i am doing some thing conceptually wrong.

If x and y are nonzero integers, is (x^(-1) + y^(-1))^(-1) > (x^(-1)*y^(-1))^(-1) ?

Is \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)? --> is \((\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})^{-1}>(\frac{1}{xy})^{-1}\)? --> is \((\frac{x+y}{xy})^{-1}>xy\) --> is \(\frac{xy}{x+y}>xy\)?

Now, from this point you cannot divide both parts of the inequality by \(xy\) and write \(\frac{1}{x+y}>1\) (as you did), because you don't know whether \(xy\) is positive or negative: if \(xy>0\) then you should write \(\frac{1}{x+y}>1\) BUT if \(xy<0\) then you should flip the sign and write \(\frac{1}{x+y}<1\). But even if you knew that \(xy>0\) then the next step of writing \(x+y<1\) from \(\frac{1}{x+y}>1\) would still be incorrect for the same exact reason: you don't k now whether \(x+y\) is positive or negative, hence you can not muliply both sides of the inequality by \(x+y\).

Never multiply or divide inequality by a variable (or by an expression with variable) unless you are sure of its sign since you do not know whether you must flip the sign of the inequality.

Thus the question is boiled down to: is \(\frac{xy}{x+y}>xy\)? Actually we can manipulate further but there is no need.

(1) x = 2y --> question becomes: is \(\frac{2y^2}{3y}>2y^2\)? Now, as we know that \(y\) is nonzero then \(2y^2>0\) and we can divide both parts by it --> is \(\frac{1}{3y}>1\)? As \(y\) is an integer (no matter positive or negative) then the answer to this question is always NO ( if it's a positive integer then \(\frac{1}{3y}<1\) and if it's a negative integer then again: \(\frac{1}{3y}<0<1\) ). Sufficient.

(2) x + y > 0 --> if \(x=y=1\) then the answer will be NO but if \(x=3\) and \(y=-1\) then the answer will be YES. Not sufficient.

Dear Bunuel, Could you elaborate on the highlighted sentence as I am confused with the sign :?: :-D

We know that y is an integer. Now, for integer y, the answer to the question whether \(\frac{1}{3y}>1\) will always be NO (no matter whether y is negative or positive). If y > 0, then \(\frac{1}{3y}<1\) and if y < 0, then again \(\frac{1}{3y}<1\).

Hope it's clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29936 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
If x and y are nonzero integers, is (x^(-1) + y^(-1))^(-1) > [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ajit257 wrote:
If x and y are nonzero integers, is \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)?

(1) x = 2y

(2) x + y > 0

Target question: Is \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)
This is a good candidate for rephrasing the target question.

Take: \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)

Rewrite as: \((\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})^{-1}> (\frac{1}{x}*\frac{1}{y})^{-1}\)

Rewrite as: \((\frac{y}{xy}+\frac{x}{xy})^{-1}> (\frac{1}{xy})^{-1}\)

Simplify to get: \((\frac{x+y}{xy})^{-1}> (\frac{1}{xy})^{-1}\)

Apply exponents to get: \(\frac{xy}{x+y}> xy\)

REPHRASED target question: Is \(\frac{xy}{x+y}> xy\)?

Aside: the video below has tips on rephrasing the target question

Statement 1: \(x = 2y\)

Replace \(x\) with \(2y\) to get: Is \(\frac{(2y)y}{(2y)+y}> (2y)y\)?

Simplify to get: Is \(\frac{2y^2}{3y}> 2y^2\)?

Since \(2y^2\) must be POSITIVE, we can safely divide both sides of the inequality by \(2y^2\) to get: Is \(\frac{1}{3y}> 1\)?

IMPORTANT: Since y is an INTEGER, 1/3y will ALWAYS be less than 1.
For example, if y = 1, we get: 1/3 < 1
If y = 2, we get: 1/6 < 1
If y = 3, we get: 1/9 < 1
etc.
Likewise, if y is NEGATIVE, then 1/3y will always be NEGATIVE, and a negative value is always less than 1.

So, the answer to the REPHRASED target question is NO, \(\frac{xy}{x+y}\) is NOT greater than \(xy\)
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: x + y > 0
Let's TEST some values.
There are several values of x and y that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:

Case a: x = 2 and y = 1. Plug into REPHRASED target question to get: \(\frac{(2)(1)}{2+1}> (2)(1)\).
Simplify: \(\frac{2}{3}> 2\) In this case, the answer to the REPHRASED target question is NO, \(\frac{xy}{x+y}\) is NOT greater than \(xy\)

Case b: x = 3 and y = -1. Plug into REPHRASED target question to get: \(\frac{(3)(-1)}{3+(-1)}> (3)(-1)\).
Simplify: \(\frac{-3}{2}> -3\) In this case, the answer to the REPHRASED target question is YES, \(\frac{xy}{x+y}\) IS greater than \(xy\)

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

RELATED VIDEO

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 23 Dec 2019, 07:51.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 17 May 2021, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ajit257 wrote:

(1) x = 2y

(2) x + y > 0

(1) x = 2y --> question becomes: is \(\frac{2y^2}{3y}>2y^2\)? Now, as we know that \(y\) is nonzero then \(2y^2>0\) and we can divide both parts by it --> is \(\frac{1}{3y}>1\)? As \(y\) is an integer (no matter positive or negative) then the answer to this question is always NO (if it's a positive integer then \(\frac{1}{3y}<1\) and if it's a negative integer then again: \(\frac{1}{3y}<0<1\)). Sufficient.

Hi

Liked how easy your solution is :)

I have a silly doubt/clarification that I need to seek, while solving the question I arrived at 2y^2/3y but I further simplified it to 2y/3>2y^2, I wanted to ask the following:
Is this step conceptually correct? I assumed values for Y (positive and negative) and therefore A wasn't sufficient.
Would request experts to highlight the gap in my understanding

EDIT- After posting my query I realized the operation has to be the same on both sides of the inequality so even if I consider the case 2y/3>2y I will still arrive that A is not sufficient. Please address where I am going wrong. Thanks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
ajit257 wrote:
If x and y are nonzero integers, is \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)?

(1) x = 2y

(2) x + y > 0

At times the question are better solved without any changes to the original part.

(1) x = 2y
Substitute x=2y in \((x^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> (x^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)
\(((2y)^{-1}+y^{-1})^{-1}> ((2y)^{-1}*y^{-1})^{-1}\)
\((2^{-1}+1^{-1})^{-1}*(y^{-1})^{-1}> (2y)^{-1*-1}*y^{-1*-1}\)
\((\frac{3}{2})^{-1}*y>2y^2\)
\((\frac{2}{3})*y>2y^2\)
\(y>3y^2\)
So the question becomes: Is \(y>3y^2\)
\(3y^2\) will always be positive and greater than y, when y is a non zero integer.
Sufficient

(2) x + y > 0
There are infinite values that can fit in. Only values that will not fit in is when both are negative.

(a) Take x=2 and y=1
\((2^{-1}+(1)^{-1})^{-1}> (2^{-1}*(1)^{-1})^{-1}…………….\frac{1}{2}+1>\frac{1}{2}*1……………..\frac{3}{2}>\frac{1}{2}\)……….YES

(b) Take x=2 and y=-1
\((2^{-1}+(-1)^{-1})^{-1}> (2^{-1}*(-1)^{-1})^{-1}……………\frac{1}{2}-1>\frac{1}{2}*-1……………….\frac{-1}{2}>\frac{-1}{2}\)……….NO

Insufficient

A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts