Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [8]
Given Kudos: 216
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1553 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Many dangerous microbes co-opt their host’s own molecular structures. [#permalink]
GittinGud wrote:
Can someone please explain Q2? Thanks!

Many dangerous microbes co-opt their host’s own molecular structures. For example, Shigella flexneri is a rod-shaped bacterium that causes severe intestinal discomfort in humans. Shigella contains a gene called IcsA that allows it to appropriate actin filaments inside the host’s infected cell. Actin is normally used to provide structure and form to the cell, but the microbe forms the fibers into a propulsive tail that moves it freely from cell to cell. To appropriate the actin, Shigella sticks to the epithelial cells of the intestinal lining. Once there,it signals the epithelial cell to alter its own shape and pulls the microbe inside.Once Shigella is ensconced within the cytoplasm, it begins replicating. The replicants can then make use of the IcsA gene and create their own tails from the cell’s actin, spreading the infection to other cells. Thus, the bacterium bypasses the blood and lymph systems entirely, which allows it to avoid alerting the body’s immune system.

Researchers tested the IcsA hypothesis by transferring the gene into E. coli bacteria and then placing the bacteria inside host cells. The organisms formed actin tails and began behaving much as the Shigella bacteria did. Such microbes as Listeria monocytogenes also co-opt host actin,though a different gene is involved in the process

see this line in the passage it will clear your doubt
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
Re: Many dangerous microbes co-opt their host’s own molecular structures. [#permalink]
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
For Q.2...I amm confused between (b) and (e)...I think both gives a correct order of actions ..
Plz help clarify
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
For Q.2...I amm confused between (b) and (e)...I think both gives a correct order of actions ..
Plz help clarify

Shigella contains a gene called IcsA that allows it to appropriate actin filaments inside the host’s infected cell. - Gene IcsA allows Shigella to take the host's actin.

Actin is normally used to provide structure and form to the cell, but the microbe forms the fibers into a propulsive tail that moves it freely from cell to cell. - For what does Shigella use actin? To form a tail to move around freely

To appropriate the actin, Shigella sticks to the epithelial cells of the intestinal lining. - How does Shigella take actin? To take actin, it sticks to epithelial cells.

Once there,it signals the epithelial cell to alter its own shape and pulls the microbe inside. - It signals epithelial cells to pull it inside.

Once Shigella is ensconced within the cytoplasm, it begins replicating. - Once Shigella is inside, it starts replicating

The replicants can then make use of the IcsA gene and create their own tails from the cell’s actin, spreading the infection to other cells. - The replicants use IcsA gene to create tails from actin and spread the infection.

According to the author, what happens after a Shigella flexneri microbe enters a host cell?

B. The microbe duplicates itself, and the duplicates form actin tails and spread to other cells.

Exactly what is given in the passage.

E. The microbe first develops a propulsive tail out of actin, then co-opts the host's molecular form.

Not given that the microbe first develops a tail. The microbe sticks to epithelial cells, enter inside, replicate and then duplicates use actin to develop tails.

Answer (B)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Giampa wrote:
soumya170293 wrote:
plz explain the question no 3 ??
though (ii) has been mentioned but I didn't get whether (i) is in the RC ?

Same problem! Someone can help me?

3. According to the passage, the IcsA gene is believed to control the development of actin tails for which of the following reasons?

Why do we think that gene IcsA controls the development of actin tails? What proof do we have as per the passage?

Researchers tested the IcsA hypothesis by transferring the gene into E. coli bacteria and then placing the bacteria inside host cells. The organisms formed actin tails and began behaving much as the Shigella bacteria did. - IcsA was transferred to E. coli and it started developing actin tails.

Such microbes as Listeria monocytogenes also co-opt host actin,though a different gene is involved in the process. - Some other microbes use different genes to use actin.

I. The formation of actin tails cannot be attributed to any other cellular structure associated with Shigella flexneri. - Not given in passage.
II. Experiments have shown that when IcsA genes are transferred into E. coli, they develop actin tails. - True as per passage
III. Shigella flexneri without the IcsA gene do not grow tails formed from actin filaments. - Not given in passage

Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Please explain question 1
I am getting choice e
The blood and lymph system will be alerted therefore the bacterium is bypassing it?
Is my thinking wrong ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
blueshores Answer to Ques 1:-

Choice A: Correct. The last sentence of the first paragraph states that the bacterium bypasses the blood and lymph systems entirely, which allows it to avoid alerting the body’s immune system. This shows a link between the blood and lymph systems and the immune system.

Choice E: No. This answer choice uses outside knowledge to be appealing. The phrase infects a white blood cell in the answer choice is appealing to anyone with prior knowledge of white blood cells and the immune system. However, the passage states that the bacterium bypasses the blood and lymph systems, and supports nothing about white blood cells.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Rotman
Send PM
Kudos
GOT ALL ANSWERS RIGHT EXCEPT 1 IN 8 MINUTES
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Many dangerous microbes co-opt their hosts own molecular structures. [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many dangerous microbes co-opt their hosts own molecular structures. [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts