Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 108
Location: Tu
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 92

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 03:08
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:53) correct 22% (00:47) wrong based on 411 sessions
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 57
Schools: Cambridge
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 03:36
Ayrish wrote:
Hi friends
I have very interesting question

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx


IMO C is the right answer.
1) Distinction should be followed by between (in most of the cases) when trying to compare two object(things). So, 'distinctions between' is correct usage, and it should be kept when trying to figure out the correct answer.
2) usage of ' so much' imparts correct sense to the sentence as it is playing down the effect of 'specific skill' as intended by the author.
3) I can't see any idiom usage problem in C. distinction between X and Y is correct usage.

In fact contrary to what you say, I find D wordy and awkward and would never go for it in the real thing.
Anyway, hope it helps.
cheers
_________________

No Execuse..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 269
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 05:38
hi ayrish. C is fine...
two idioms.. between .... and .....:
and 'so much' is not redundant ....if preceded by -ive, 'as much...as....,' can be changed to ' so much....as....'
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 58
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 06:50
Even I am not seeing any grammatical issue with D. It may not be correct, because meaning has slightly changed.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 333
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 08:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Hi friends
I have very interesting question

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx


There are two issues with D:
1) It is awkward and wordy
2) The word as in the option is used to give examples instead of representing a comparison. Whereas, the second part of the non-underlined sentence is a preposition (in our ability ). We cannot use the preposition as an example. The original sentence clearly demands a comparison, so D is incorrect.

C is idiomatically correct and also maintains a parallelism while representing a comparison.

Hope it is clear now.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 09:24
Ayrish wrote:
Hi friends
I have very interesting question
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx

D is wrng bcoz of wrng idiom distinguish from
_________________

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 588
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 14:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Distinguish between X and Y:
Two very different items;
for example, Some color blind people cannot distinguish between red and green

Distinguish X from Y:
Two pretty similar items;
for example, distinguish original paintings from fake ones

Please if the above idiom is correct, upon application to the question above,
the question seems not to correlate with the logic of the idiom above;
that is: distinguish between X and Y (different items) where, in this case,
X and Y are our intelligence and that of our primates - these are like items, right?

Someone please assist.
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 03:46
Other way to rule E out is because of "lay", transitive verb that always takes an object and here is therefore incorrect.
A and B are out because "between with".
The thing is between C and D. C sounds good for me.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 291
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: out of set 6 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 04:08
C for me .when between is used to compare two entities only .
_________________

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:48
I understand the sentence completely except for one very important thing, i.e. for me as Dutch person it is very hard to understand why it is as instead of but ending the underlined portion. I understand the idiom usage, the reason why we use lie instead of lay (I know this removes E). But I cannot cope with as..... Can somebody please explain. Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 21:13
in D
distintion from
may be incorrect

and

" distintion" is far from "from" . This is not good

Am I correct?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 22:09
Ayrish wrote:
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx


Distinction is between this AND that --> Only C fulfills this :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2011
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 20:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
KevinBrink wrote:
I understand the sentence completely except for one very important thing, i.e. for me as Dutch person it is very hard to understand why it is as instead of but ending the underlined portion. I understand the idiom usage, the reason why we use lie instead of lay (I know this removes E). But I cannot cope with as..... Can somebody please explain. Thanks in advance


Hi Brink,

This sentence aims to describe what is the main distinction between human and primate intelligence. Author says that it is not any particular skill, as usually believed (by say some other scientists) but humans' ability extend knowledge.
As shows comparison. It is akin to saying: Distinction lies not so much in A, as in B.
Hence the use of 'as' is correct here.

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not [so much] in any specific skill [as] in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

In the original sentence, but implies a contrast:
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not [so much] in any specific skill [but] in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

C says : Distinction lies not so much in A, but in B
Here but also fails to connect the part after it with part before it. Part after but, might as well be a separate thought with nothing to do with the degree of distinction in specific skill.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 10:29
I was going to pick C but the "as" at the end made me believe the meaning changed
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 19:59
Hi OP - please do not highlight the answer choices. It definitely ruins the opportunity for others to use this as a legitimate practice question.

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 253
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 12:12
Ignoring the lay/lie split, can someone explain why E is wrong? Doesn't it provide a contrast with "but"?

Wouldn't "c" be incorrect because it's using "as" to contrast as opposed to "but"?

EDIT: Do distinctions ALWAYS need "between x but y" format? Meaning, are the answer choices D/E wrong because they are missing the word "between" or because they are missing the "and" in the middle?
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2014, 12:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic The most prominent distinctions between designers' intellige dqtuan9627 1 07 May 2014, 18:24
Intelligence Acc3ss 6 25 Oct 2009, 06:42
Anthropologist David Mandelbaum makes a distinction between lahoosaher 7 19 Sep 2009, 02:29
Experts publish their posts in the topic One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence vivek123 6 26 Dec 2005, 09:14
It is not easy to make a distinction between A and B. okdongdong 0 25 Jul 2005, 23:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.