Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 17:33 It is currently 07 May 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [47]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7650 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Career plan and drafting an MBA career goals essay [#permalink]
Hello,

I am in a similar situation.I am currently drafting essays for a top 15 US MBA program. I come from a first-generation family business -it is a startup. We are into the marketing of certain capital goods. My real short term career goals are to work in B2B marketing for a few years before returning to our business. This is essentially because first,the post MBA work experience would really prepare me for bigger responsibilities for our business and second, i would need some time to recover the cost of the program.
However, i have heard that to improve my chances of admission, i mention in my essays that i shall return to business immediately after MBA, i can always work for a few years after MBA and there is no need to mention that in the essays.

I am worried that if i do as mentioned above, the school might start viewing me as one of those wealthy family business candidates and might as well suggest me their other programs. Also, they might assume that I already have a job ready after MBA.
I am a bit confused on this, please help !

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7650 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
raman2k4u wrote:
Hello,

I am in a similar situation.I am currently drafting essays for a top 15 US MBA program. I come from a first-generation family business -it is a startup. We are into the marketing of certain capital goods. My real short term career goals are to work in B2B marketing for a few years before returning to our business. This is essentially because first,the post MBA work experience would really prepare me for bigger responsibilities for our business and second, i would need some time to recover the cost of the program.
However, i have heard that to improve my chances of admission, i mention in my essays that i shall return to business immediately after MBA, i can always work for a few years after MBA and there is no need to mention that in the essays.

I am worried that if i do as mentioned above, the school might start viewing me as one of those wealthy family business candidates and might as well suggest me their other programs. Also, they might assume that I already have a job ready after MBA.
I am a bit confused on this, please help !

Regards

Raman,
Why don't you go ahead and say it like it is? :)
Tell them that your short term goal is to work in a B2B marketing role with a different company, gain some experience and in 4-5 years' time, join your family business. You can leverage your business background in other ways: you can touch upon your understanding of business functions, market trends, vendor management and customer engagement, something you have gained as a result of being part of a business family. Highlight your own contributions/participation in decisions related to the business.

Secondly, make sure that you articulate your goals very clearly. Answer the following points in your essays:
1. Why do you want to work with a different company after your MBA? What sort of exposure and experience do you hope to gain?
2. Specify what kind of company you would want to work with - in terms of industry, domain and role.
3. In the long term, when you join your family business, what is your vision and goal for the business? Expansion? Diversification? Make sure you let them know that you have a vision of your own and that you will contribute something valuable to the business.

Hope this helps.

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks for these great inputs ! It really makes a lot of sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
This is really helpful as I am looking to draft my essays and I was wondering how specific should we be. For example, " leading the strategy and business development for a global organization to be able to influence the strategic direction of the organization and contribute to the growth of the industry as a whole." would that be too vague/fluffy?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
That HBS admit essay has to be old and the essay doesn't apply anymore for HBS...the career goals section on the application for HBS 2014 admissions is 500 characters (NOT WORDS) with the following prompt: "How does pursuing an MBA support your choices above?" The "choices above" are industry and function.

Obviously schools besides HBS have the "career goals" essay, but since so many people apply to HBS, it is worth noting that that example above is outdated and no longer applicable.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7650 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
This is really helpful as I am looking to draft my essays and I was wondering how specific should we be. For example, " leading the strategy and business development for a global organization to be able to influence the strategic direction of the organization and contribute to the growth of the industry as a whole." would that be too vague/fluffy?

Yes, I'm afraid it might be.
While AdComs do not expect you to know exactly where you will be after you graduate, they definitely expect you to have a pretty good idea about what direction you want to go. Here are some simple do's and dont's for talking about career goals:
1. Your goal must strike the right balance between 'ambitious' and 'realistic'. Don't cite a goal that is too low-hanging or something impossibly difficult to achieve in the time frame mentioned.
2. Your goal must be something that is in line with your past experience. i.e. you should be able to cite some experience or knowledge or transferable skills that will help you achieve this goal after a 1 or 2 year MBA.
3. Your short and long term goals must be logically connected. You should be able to defend how this short term goal will give you skills or exposure that will let you achieve your long term goal. Or why this short term goal is necessarily the first step to achieve your long term one.
4. Be as specific as possible - in terms of role, function, industry and even company. When you mention company names, make sure these companies recruit alumni of your target school.
5. Always always have a good idea about what the role entails - so if you say product management, make sure you know what a product manager does on a daily basis, what would he be responsible for, what his career progression is like, and so on.

These links may help you research some post-MBA career goals:
https://www.crackverbal.com/category/post-mba-careers/

Cheers.

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I want to give my huge gratitude for the information. i did a huge overhaul and tried to incorporate your feedback to be exact in defining my career and goals. i do have a nontraditional work history so it is important for me to explain it clearly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
How does this sound as a concludatory statement of an SOP:

An experience in the demand side of the industry coupled with an MBA in Operations from a reputed institute such yours will provide me to attain skills and knowledge of the industry and also attach a brand name to me, factors which will surely help me to attain my long term goal of having a top management position in a leading manufacturing firm of the world.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM