Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:34 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [208]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2337 [121]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [33]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [26]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for mor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
anonymousvn wrote:
A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States, the largest share for any country to contribute since 1980, when about 30 percent of the country’s foreign-born population was from Germany.

A. the largest share for any country to contribute
B. the largest share that any country has contributed
C. which makes it the largest share for any country to contribute
D. having the largest share to be contributed by any country
E. having the largest share to have been contributed by any country

Please explain. Tks

'Since/ for' generally requires past perfect tense

A. the largest share for any country to contribute. 'for' is not right. It implies that something is there for mexico
B. the largest share that any country has contributed. Correct choice. We need sentence in present perfect tense.
C. which makes it the largest share for any country to contribute. 'Which' modifies USA.
D. having the largest share to be contributed by any country. -ing form modifies the previous sentence. Flipping the sentence shows that 'having' modifies 'A March 2000 Census Bureau survey' and that is not correct
E. having the largest share to have been contributed by any country -ing form modifies the previous sentence. Flipping the sentence shows that 'having' modifies 'A March 2000 Census Bureau survey' and that is not correct
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for mor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A)the largest share for any country to contribute - need past tense. WRONG

B)the largest share that any country has contributed - CORRECT.

C)which makes it the largest share for any country to contribute - need past tense, pronoun problem, modifier problem. WRONG

D)having the largest share to be contributed by any country - modifier problem. WRONG

E)having the largest share to have been contributed by any country - modifier problem. WRONG
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4598 [9]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/dou ... t8489.html
Ron said "Option B is the correct answer to this problem."
"actually, the only acceptable tense for a clause modified by "since..." is the present perfect."

I hope no doubt left on OA etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi Experts, In option B - Isn't the underlined portion a IC? It has subject largest share that and Verb Has... Im little confused.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hello Expert,

I have gone through the posts for this answer but I am having a hard time understanding what's wrong with answer choice A. I understand all other choices but still don't have clarity on the issues with A. Thank you!

YT
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yt770 wrote:
Hello Expert,

I have gone through the posts for this answer but I am having a hard time understanding what's wrong with answer choice A. I understand all other choices but still don't have clarity on the issues with A. Thank you!

YT

The preposition "for" is wrong. The share is not for the country (to contribute). The share is something that was contributed by the country. Hence "share" should be the object of the verb contribute.

It is for you to contribute: this statement implies that someone kept it for you, so that you may contribute it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:
Hi Experts, In option B - Isn't the underlined portion a IC? It has subject largest share that and Verb Has... Im little confused.

The underlined portion is an absolute phrase modifier. An absolute phrase modifier modifies an entire clause in some way and has the structure noun / noun phrase + noun modifier.

Here,

Absolute phrase modifier: the largest share that any country has contributed since 1980. (noun = the largest share, noun modifier = that any country has contributed since 1980).

The above absolute phrase modifier modifies the clause "Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States".

Please let me know if you still have doubt.

Hi daagh sir,
I have doubt-
If a sentence for example- Susan: " My daughter has been dancing everyday since 2001", is quoted by someone else the sentence becomes susan said that her daughter had/ has been dancing everyday since 2001.

Doubt A)- which one is correct, has or had? ( Because the actual question on this thread is from gmat verbal review 2017 question number 203. And the answer key explanation says both are correct)-This is a doubt related sequences of tenses in which we generally shift the action in past. But be if the action is still true can the action be presented in present perfect?

Doubt B) If any both had and has is correct, but we are unaware of the fact is the situation still valid or not ( example- I am not aware is susan daughter still dancing everyday), is there any rule which states that we use HAS>>HAD?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
pulkitaggi

Doubt 1. It may please be remembered that if you use either a past perfect tense (including past perfect progressive) or past tense, then the action is already completed. On the contrary, if there is an iota of doubt whether the action is extended until at least today, then present perfect is required, even if there are two different tenses to describe two-time lines like as in Susan's daughter's case. Had danced or had been dancing are all wrong since the dancing has been occurring since 2001 until today.

Doubt 2. example- I am not aware is Susan daughter still dancing every day) -- Is this your second sentence?
Quote:
I am not aware whether Susan's daughter is still dancing.
--- All the tenses are is present tense are used properly. So, where is the confusion?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20725 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Quote:
A March 2000 Census Bureau survey showed that Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign-born residents of the United States, the largest share for any country to contribute since 1890, when about 30 percent of the country’s foreign-born population was from Germany.

(A) the largest share for any country to contribute

(B) the largest share that any country has contributed

(C) which makes it the largest share for any country to contribute

(D) having the largest share to be contributed by any country

(E) having the largest share to have been contributed by any country

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/07/us/foreign-born-in-us-at-record-high.html

Foreign Born in U.S. at Record High
By JANNY SCOTTFEB. 7, 2002

The number of foreign-born residents and children of immigrants in the United States has reached the highest level in history, according to a Census Bureau report released yesterday. It found that the number had leapt to 56 million from 34 million in the last three decades.

Mexico accounted for more than a quarter of all the foreign-born residents, the bureau's analysis of data from its March 2000 Current Population Survey showed. That share is the largest any country has held since the 1890 census, when about 30 percent of the country's foreign-born population was from Germany.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I have a doubt in the use of "Having":
According to my understanding, "comma + verb-ing" modifies the main action verb of preceding clause. So in this case the verb that is being modified is "showed".
Is this logic correct?
The point of confusion is, whether the "verb-ing" modifies main verb or preceding verb?
If the latter is true, then the "Verb-ing" will modify "accounted", justifying the use of "having".

Thank you for your help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [11]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos