Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 15:07 It is currently 08 May 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Re: Calling all Emory applicants Fall 2011 [#permalink]
I was wondering when this thread was going to start. Glad to see there's some interest in Emory on this site.

I'm a current first year. I'll be happy to field some questions if you have any. Good luck with all your applications.

-LGM
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks LetsGoMets.

Let me start with a question myself. The max loans guaranteed by Emory through Alliance credit union is 84k, whereas the total expenditure for entire program including tuition and living expenses is 110-120k. Any idea how students generally try to get xtra $$$?

Btw, it is just me, or the Emory Alliance Credit union loan program has been scrapped? I can't seem to find any information regarding this on the website. I swear I got my info abt this loan program from the website about 4 months back.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
There are many ways to get money. I'm completely unfamiliar with Alliance Credit, so I won't speak on the particulars of that firm and its relationship with Emory.

If you're a US Citizen, you can get about 20k per year in Stafford loans. Sally Mae is very good for student loans and offers good rates. Outside of that, there are banks that offer student loans as well, but interest rates will vary.

Unfortunately, I think the all-in price of attending Emory is actually higher than 120k for the 2 year program. Right now, tuition is roughly 42 per year, and between trips to career fairs across the country, mid-semester modules (structured international travel which is optional, but an excellent opportunity), and random things you never thought would be non-trivial (harvard cases mostly), you can expect to pay closer to 48-50/yr in school-related activity. Figure another 10k for rent, cable, electric, water. And then living expenses (food, alcohol, entertainment, car-related expenses, travel to/from home, etc) is probably another 10k. I think the all in number is closer to 140 than 120.

All in all, it's expensive but manageable. Between loans, grants (Emory gives some significant scholarships), and savings, you'll figure out how to get there.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the timely reply LGM.

It would be a bummer to not have alliance loans coz I am a foreign applicant and am bent on the no-cosigner loan offered by Emory. I think I have to rethink the $$$ strategy. And I agree about your part on grants; Emory does seem to support a lot of students through grants. I just hope the school deem me fit for some kind of assistance.

Would you be able to comment about 'Executives in Residence' program? I would like to know more about the schedule, the type of Xs you get to meet etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
 Q50  V40
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager
Send PM
I will be submitting my application just in time for the Nov 1 deadline! Best of luck everyone!

Brief profile: 740/3.5yrs (IT + Consulting)/Economics from LSE.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
thedarklard wrote:
Would you be able to comment about 'Executives in Residence' program? I would like to know more about the schedule, the type of Xs you get to meet etc.

I'm not going to name names, they won't have any meaning for you (they're not famous people). However, the people that do come in are industry experts. For consulting, we had someone who was partner at Deloitte with decades of experience. He took 4 fridays full of half hour individual meetings. I've heard that a major player in the PE world also comes as well as teaches a class. We had a high level executive from Credit Suisse give a seminar. I believe that Arthur Blank (founder of home depot) also is part of the executives in residence program.

Also, not part of execs in residence, we do have some excellent speakers that talk to a larger group. Sometimes these speakers are just for the B-school. We had someone who focuses on improv comedy to talk about similarities between improv and networking. A sports agent spoke about perusing non-traditional careers, and the president of the Atlanta Falcons (NFL Team) spoke for the law school, and b-school students who knew about it were able to attend. In addition, the Dalai Lama and Jimmy Carter also gave speeches at Emory in the last three months.
Current Student
Send PM
Thats some very insightful information!

I'll prefer to be with those with whom I can personally interact rather than just attend seminars of some inaccessible "famous" people. Of course, the people you just mentioned aren't "not famous" by any means are they :-)

I should consider lucky that you got to mention Deloitte, which is my preferred destination after MBA. Do you know for what kind of positions they recruit on campus? I'm interested in more of a tech consulting role. If not Deloitte, could you point me some other player who recruit for tech consulting roles?

Btw LGM, I really appreciate what you are doing here for us.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 653 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
 Q51  V36
Send PM
I am in for Round2.
Missed round-1. I don't know whether it would affect my candidature.
Profile.. 720/M/Indian/IIT/ WE6
Current Student
Send PM
^^^ You can still send it in, Emory has a rolling admissions....the dates are more like Guidelines instead of Deadlines.

I submitted yesterday and my set my interview for Dec 4th, super saturday. Anyone going to be there?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
thedarklard wrote:
Thats some very insightful information!

I'll prefer to be with those with whom I can personally interact rather than just attend seminars of some inaccessible "famous" people. Of course, the people you just mentioned aren't "not famous" by any means are they :-)

I should consider lucky that you got to mention Deloitte, which is my preferred destination after MBA. Do you know for what kind of positions they recruit on campus? I'm interested in more of a tech consulting role. If not Deloitte, could you point me some other player who recruit for tech consulting roles?

Btw LGM, I really appreciate what you are doing here for us.

No worries. Save for Jimmy Carter and Dalai Lama, none are inaccessible. The sports agent, and the falcons guy, you could definitely get in touch with as a student there. Frankly, more people are accessible than I would have ever expected.

Deloitte has a strong Emory presence. They came on campus at least once this year, and I think they probably came twice. I'm not looking to be a consulting and/or accounting person, so it's not something I worry about. They do recruit for management consulting, and probably other consulting positions (maybe tech). It's not an industry that I know well enough to point you towards other places. What I can say is that most jobs are possible if you become good at networking and approach getting the job correctly. You do become better at networking during school.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks LGM. I think I'll extend my research on other recruiters at Emory for tech based positions. I have a query which has more to do with application process.

I got a mail from Emory and it asked me to do a check on "to-do" list on OPUS site. I found that to-do list contained transcripts, app fee and interview. I had mailed my transcripts at least 14 days in advance, and have paid the app fee. I sent a mail to ApplicationMBA@bus.emory.edu explaining my situation, but haven't got a response so far. Nor the status on OPUS is updated.

I know that the OPUS mentions "Wait for 5 business days", but I figured that time frame is for the actions I initiate after seeing the list; sending a TOEFL score for instance. So, is ApplicationMBA@bus.emory.edu the correct contact to solve my problem, or should be looking at admissions@bus.emory.edu?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For Essay2, I wonder whether the "professional achievement" must be "job related". Can I tell a story about an effect that I had on my extracurriculum club? This essay drives me crazy.
Current Student
Send PM
@liyinghan

Well...I think the essay asks for something significant you did in what you do to earn/make your living. Ideally, you will have listed these activities under "employment."

I stuck to my professional accomplishment, even though I had other more significant achievements to share. I think you should stick to the directions provided in the essay. Might backfire otherwise. Just my 2 cents.
Current Student
Send PM
thedarklard wrote:
Thanks LGM. I think I'll extend my research on other recruiters at Emory for tech based positions. I have a query which has more to do with application process.

I got a mail from Emory and it asked me to do a check on "to-do" list on OPUS site. I found that to-do list contained transcripts, app fee and interview. I had mailed my transcripts at least 14 days in advance, and have paid the app fee. I sent a mail to ApplicationMBA@bus.emory.edu explaining my situation, but haven't got a response so far. Nor the status on OPUS is updated.

I know that the OPUS mentions "Wait for 5 business days", but I figured that time frame is for the actions I initiate after seeing the list; sending a TOEFL score for instance. So, is ApplicationMBA@bus.emory.edu the correct contact to solve my problem, or should be looking at admissions@bus.emory.edu?

Got my application confirmed. Phew!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Just want to get this board kick-started again...

Good to hear your application is confirmed, Dark. liyinghan; I would keep that essay about something job related - not an extracurricular.

BW rankings came up - Emory is #22 now and was called "the best kept secret in business schools".

Feel free to keep writing questions if you have any.
Current Student
Send PM
Is anyone gonna be there for SS on dec 4th? Lets meet up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Management Consulting
Schools:Oxford Said Business School
 Q49  V31 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
WE 1: Team Lead for IT Offshoring projects
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I had a question about sending transcripts. I understand that we need to mail them in sealed envelopes to Emory, but what do i write on the envelope ? Do I write on top on envelope " Transcript for mackd Candidate R2 2011 class" or something ? Or do they read transcripts figure out the name of candidate and then check in their "OPUS" if there is any student by that name ?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts