Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Interesting application process. We have option to choose which topic do we want to write about in one of the essays.
Also, the word limit has been reduced for two of the essays.

Essay Topics:

Essay 1:
Innovation or doing things differently it is said is a key to future success. Could you substantiate or negate this idea based on your experience. Please provide examples from your own experience – either examples of your own innovation or examples of others whom you have worked with.
(300 words max)

Essay2:
Applying to and enrolling in a Business School is an important career decision. Critically look at your career to date, the choices you have made, the key influences behind those choices, your goals for the future and how you expect to benefit from the ISB experience in achieving your goals.
(300 words max)

Essay 3:
One of the following:
A) This experience completely changed my way of thinking.
OR
B) An instance when you went out of the ordinary to achieve something significant, but in hind sight feel you could have done better.
OR
C) Tell us about your role in a team that made a significant contribution to the organization
OR
D) Contribution to peer learning and engagement with the ISB student body are important aspects of the ISB experience. What contribution do you expect to make in this direction during the one year at ISB.
(200 words max)

Essay4:
Please provide additional information, if any, that will significantly affect the consideration of your application to the ISB.
(200 words max)

Essay5:
Reapplicant Essay.(Not for everyone.)

Gung ho!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

Yep. It seems that the portal is up only for testing. The questions changed when I logged back in. I think maybe we should wait for the portal to go LIVE before discussing the essays.

I found a bug though... Being a re-applicant I need to complete essay #5. But, I can't see essay #5 (no link in portal). Though I think I'll wait for the portal to go live before reporting this bug.

Lets rock it this time :)

Absolutely...

BTW.. did you retake the GMAT? Congrats on the 10 pt increase... Did you get feedback from anyone whether the 700 could be a hurdle (of course 700 is a great score, but looking at your profile holistically, did anyone suggest that you retake the exam)?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hey

I bumped into one of my interviewers at my current organization. He told me that 700 is not a good score so i appeared for gmat agaib but ended up with 710
Dnt know how much will this help :)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Hey

I bumped into one of my interviewers at my current organization. He told me that 700 is not a good score so i appeared for gmat agaib but ended up with 710
Dnt know how much will this help :)

Posted from my mobile device

Did he happen to mention what a "good score" is?

Then again for a candidate, a 710 doesn't hurt when measured against his 700. :-D

P.S. Makes me wonder if my 720 is good enough or not :roll: :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM ISB PGP Admissions Director Blog: Young Leaders Programme
We completed the fourth and final Learning Weekend for the first batch of the Young Leaders Programme students at Mohali in mid February. We are ready to welcome these students to the regular PGP in April this year. Over the last two years we have mentored the students, given them inputs on critical thinking, team building, building consensus, value creation/value capture etc in addition to giving them inputs on various career choices they can make. We do hope they can use these inputs to chalk out a plan of action while they are at ISB for the next one year and make a flying start to their career thereon.

The key aspects of YLP are the Learning Weekends that include leadership & knowledge sessions with the renowned faculty of ISB and industry leaders. These sessions include structured learning that focus on the fundamentals of management education along with building hard and soft skills. All this, along with mentorship from senior ISB officials & alumni enhances the professional experience of the student in those two years. YLP also provides an opportunity to connect with high-end achievers, great minds, hence, building a network for life. To top it, there is a scholarship of INR 1 lakh for every YLP student. Finally, the YLP ends with the student joining the PGP at ISB with a head-start to his career, enhanced work experience and an edge over his/her peers.

As we have been doing in the past we visited India’s top colleges from various disciplines including the IITs, BITS, HR College, Lady Sriram College of Commerce, et al in order to interact with the prospective applicants. The response as usual has been very enthusiastic.

To be eligible for admission into YLP, the candidate must be in his pre-final year of graduation in any discipline. The selection process is a three-stage one which consists of profile evaluation, analysis of academic and analytical skills, GMAT score, written essays, video presentation and personal interviews. Excellence at every stage is a must to make the cut. The best of the best are the ones who get chosen for YLP.

So to sum it up, the youngsters who make it to this programme are, therefore, ideally positioned to transform into tomorrow’s exceptional business leaders. Because it really isn’t about where one comes from; it is about where one intends to go.

Applications are now open at https://ylpapp.isb.edu/user/Signup.aspx
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM ISB PGP Admissions Director Blog: How to make a strong EEO application
The applications for the Early Entry Option (EEO) for PGP are in progress and the last date for the same is just around the corner viz. on the 30th of April, 2014. Have you submitted your applications yet? If not, then here are a few pointers I would like to put across on how to make a strong EEO application. These will help you to increase your chances of securing an admission offer.

First of all, if you have made up your mind and are certain that you will be making a career in management someday, then congratulations! You are already showing some signs of leadership potential which we look for while assessing your application.

Parameters for evaluating an EEO application

When you apply for the PGP through EEO, your application is assessed on the following criteria:

Academic Capacity:

Your past academic performance plays a major role in EEO as it demonstrates that you can meet the academic rigor demanded by the PGP at ISB. This does not mean that you strictly need to ace in your academics. If you have a good GMAT score with a fairly balanced academics score, you stand a great chance too. By balanced academics, I mean consistency in your academic performance throughout and not just your 10th and 12th marks.

Balanced Personal Attributes

Your choice in extra-curricular activities and your involvement in them display your ability to lead and influence people, organize activities and your ambition to see a project to its end not just for the sake of it but with a flair that is typical of a person who is an aspiring leader. You should highlight these qualities in your essays. Your essays should clearly reflect what you are, your personality, your goals and expectations.

Mention your extra-curricular activities (achievements in sports, social service, college events etc.) and your past internships weaving them with your future goals. For example, if you want to make a career in FMCG marketing then link this with your college projects on rural marketing, internship in market research or advertising agency, etc. If you have any work experience, prioritize it in the flow of your essay and highlight the achievements associated with it. Remember that the key to composing a good essay is to be yourself while writing it. Make your essays so lucid that they differentiate you from the rest of the applicants.

Leadership potential

This attribute is evaluated mainly through the recommendations you submit. Recommendations from your college professor, department head, mentor at internship or at NGO/ sports academy etc. are very important when it comes to gauging your caliber as a leader. Be mindful about taking recommendations from people who know you well and can evaluate your abilities and potential thoroughly.If you ask a person who is not well acquainted with you, there is a possibility of them clicking on ‘Unable to evaluate’, an option given with every close ended question, which may go against you. So, when it comes to taking recommendations, the right people are the key than the people from top designations.

To cut this long story short, know that there is no separate weight-age assigned to any of the above parameters. Your application will be evaluated holistically and based on an overall evaluation an admit offer may be given. So, if you are an eager aspirant who wants to join ISB, then work on a strong EEO application right away and submit by 30th of April, 2014.

All the best!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Retired Moderator
Send PM
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

Did he happen to mention what a "good score" is?

Then again for a candidate, a 710 doesn't hurt when measured against his 700. :-D

P.S. Makes me wonder if my 720 is good enough or not :roll: :roll:

Hmm ... lets hope 710 works out.

720 for sure is a good score. I know many people with 710 and above, but not with 700 :P
And no he did not mention a good score ...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hmm ... lets hope 710 works out.

720 for sure is a good score. I know many people with 710 and above, but not with 700 :P
And no he did not mention a good score ...

Guys, the difference between a 710 and a 700 is exactly what it should be - 10 points. This is never going to be the make-or-break point in the application.

For further reference, this will be of relevance: https://poetsandquants.com/2014/02/24/the-gatekeeper-at-the-indian-school-of-business/

Do note that Mr. Menon is no longer ISB's Admissions Director - he has moved on to a new role effective April 1. However, the points expressed all remain valid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Are you guys aware that ISB is giving feedback on previous applications?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

You mean to say personalized feedback for the application?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

You mean to say personalized feedback for the application?

Yes. Check out pagalguy's thread.

I sent a mail to them Friday but haven't got a reply. Will call them on Monday.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [2]
Send PM
Kudos