Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [2]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi All,

I am applying to ISB this year in R1. I am done with gmat and now thinking about my goals for essays. Here's my brief bio-

(1) GMAT- 760 Q51, V41
(2)IIT Delhi- Btech+Mtech in Biochemical Eng & Biotechnology, CGPA- 7.2/10
(3) Completed all 3 levels of CFA (US)
(4)WE- 3.5 years- Working in a prop trading company trading Sugar futures
(5) EC- Average
(6) Goals- I would like to shift my career from trading to corporate finance

I am mostly worried about my goals part since my current work ex is not related to my future goal. Can somebody guide me how to go about it? Is building a story around career shift advisable? How will trading experience be seen for mba admission?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
vessantra wrote:
Hi
I'm an Indian undergrad in my senior year from a top level state university(not iit) 75.6%-Top 5% of the class.
-3 Internships. One at Honeywell , one at state power generation corporation, one in a large construction firm in India.
- Worked as an internal consultant for an IT startup(held many key responsibilities including funding for modernization and re-architecture process, served as a change agent by introducing techniques like prototyping and risk assessment and management also handled a few client projects)
- 2 international publications(not ieee, one of them pure computer science related and another is based on risk assessment and an alternative solution to FMEA)
- State 3rd rank in high school examination (98.8 percent, was given special recognition at an educational fair by the then Home Minister of the State) and 93% in 10th standard.
--
Led several teams in many competitions like :

1)" Manthan"- A nationwide political competition to address 14 critical challenges that India faced in 2013(18,000 students participated in it). Led the team to 2nd place in popular category of our theme and was invited to Grand Culmination Convention which was graced by the presence of dignitaries like the Current Prime Minister of India, Finance Minister of India, Chiefs of staff of many departments and other business and thought leaders.
2)Honeywell Young Innovator Challenge, led the team to finals (competition had several phases which lasted 8 months long including show and tell session on the final day where we engaged with a crowd of more than 2000 marketing and proposing our idea. Youngest team there competed with grad school students and senior year students while we were in sophomore.was awarded an internship later)
--
Was elected as a member of the organizing committee of the annually held national level technical symposium. Was responsible for managing the entire finance and budget, monitoring cash flows, supervising event coordinators, leveraged this opportunity to create funds to the IT startup in an innovative way making them conduct workshops for students to learn new technologies with hands-on experience.
--
I'm applying to HBS 2+2 in R1 can you shed some light on my chances and also Yale Silver Scholars, ISB EEO and Stanford GSB deferred admission (applying through the Reliance Fellowship, confident enough of being a finalist).

(Yet to give gmat expecting a good score)
P.S I also have a strong network of Influential people and I mean really influential.
(Sorry for the Lengthy info. :p)

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the long post.
First things first. Take the GMAT, then we will be in a better position to talk about your chances.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
simmygarg86 wrote:
Hi All,

I am applying to ISB this year in R1. I am done with gmat and now thinking about my goals for essays. Here's my brief bio-

(1) GMAT- 760 Q51, V41
(5) EC- Average

I am mostly worried about my goals part since my current work ex is not related to my future goal. Can somebody guide me how to go about it? Is building a story around career shift advisable? How will trading experience be seen for mba admission?

Thanks

Your Profile is Solid. I say this because of your high GMAT and the fact that you will have a Special Category Status (IITan) at ISB. You have shown your 'continual education' streak by finishing up with the CFA.

Pro Tip: While writing your essays especially Essay 2 stick to explaining how the MBA from ISB is the easiest way to cross the bridge from Trading to Corporate Fin.

Wish you all the best.

Llewellyn Desouza

PS: I am new to this forum so if there has been a faux pas... please excuse.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:
vessantra wrote:
Hi
I'm an Indian undergrad in my senior year from a top level state university(not iit) 75.6%-Top 5% of the class.
-3 Internships. One at Honeywell , one at state power generation corporation, one in a large construction firm in India.
- Worked as an internal consultant for an IT startup(held many key responsibilities including funding for modernization and re-architecture process, served as a change agent by introducing techniques like prototyping and risk assessment and management also handled a few client projects)
- 2 international publications(not ieee, one of them pure computer science related and another is based on risk assessment and an alternative solution to FMEA)
- State 3rd rank in high school examination (98.8 percent, was given special recognition at an educational fair by the then Home Minister of the State) and 93% in 10th standard.
--

1)" Manthan"- A nationwide political competition to address 14 critical challenges that India faced in 2013(18,000 students participated in it). Led the team to 2nd place in popular category of our theme and was invited to Grand Culmination Convention which was graced by the presence of dignitaries like the Current Prime Minister of India, Finance Minister of India, Chiefs of staff of many departments and other business and thought leaders.
2)Honeywell Young Innovator Challenge, led the team to finals (competition had several phases which lasted 8 months long including show and tell session on the final day where we engaged with a crowd of more than 2000 marketing and proposing our idea. Youngest team there competed with grad school students and senior year students while we were in sophomore.was awarded an internship later)
--
Was elected as a member of the organizing committee of the annually held national level technical symposium. Was responsible for managing the entire finance and budget, monitoring cash flows, supervising event coordinators, leveraged this opportunity to create funds to the IT startup in an innovative way making them conduct workshops for students to learn new technologies with hands-on experience.
--
I'm applying to HBS 2+2 in R1 can you shed some light on my chances and also Yale Silver Scholars, ISB EEO and Stanford GSB deferred admission (applying through the Reliance Fellowship, confident enough of being a finalist).

P.S I also have a strong network of Influential people and I mean really influential.

First things first. Take the GMAT, then we will be in a better position to talk about your chances.

At the very least, take a GMATPrep exam and supplement your post with that!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
llewellyn75 wrote:

Your Profile is Solid. I say this because of your high GMAT and the fact that you will have a Special Category Status (IITan) at ISB. You have shown your 'continual education' streak by finishing up with the CFA.

Pro Tip: While writing your essays especially Essay 2 stick to explaining how the MBA from ISB is the easiest way to cross the bridge from Trading to Corporate Fin.

Wish you all the best.

Llewellyn Desouza

Hey Llewellyn,

Welcome to gmatclub. Have heard a lot about you helping people on pagalguy.
Hope that we all will be benefited by your presence here :)

Regards,
Ankur
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
vessantra wrote:
Hi
--

--
--

At the very least, take a GMATPrep exam and supplement your post with that!

Hi, Thanks for the reply I gave a gmat prep and scored 700 Q 46 V 40.

Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankurgupta03 wrote:
llewellyn75 wrote:

Wish you all the best.

Llewellyn Desouza

Hey Llewellyn,

Welcome to gmatclub. Have heard a lot about you helping people on pagalguy.
Hope that we all will be benefited by your presence here :)

Regards,
Ankur

You are always welcome... and let's see how much I can do here???

at the moment I am just coming to terms with the format...

Llewellyn
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
llewellyn75 wrote:

You are always welcome... and let's see how much I can do here???

at the moment I am just coming to terms with the format...

Llewellyn

Do let me know if you need any help in understanding anything :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
llewellyn75 wrote:
simmygarg86 wrote:
Hi All,

(1) GMAT- 760 Q51, V41
(5) EC- Average

Thanks

Wish you all the best.

Llewellyn Desouza

Thanks Llewellyn Desouza for your valuable comments. I will keep your tip reg essay 2 in my mind. Just one more question, do I need to be specific about the industry/company where I want to work in corporate fin department? I am asking this because right now I am not industry specific but profile/role specific. Would it be a bad idea to show that I am flexible in industries as long as I get the desired profile?
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
simmygarg86 wrote:
llewellyn75 wrote:
simmygarg86 wrote:
Hi All,

(1) GMAT- 760 Q51, V41
(5) EC- Average

Thanks

Wish you all the best.

Llewellyn Desouza

Thanks Llewellyn Desouza for your valuable comments. I will keep your tip reg essay 2 in my mind. Just one more question, do I need to be specific about the industry/company where I want to work in corporate fin department? I am asking this because right now I am not industry specific but profile/role specific. Would it be a bad idea to show that I am flexible in industries as long as I get the desired profile?

Well being too specific or too vague both are equally bad... I suggest that you stick to talking about a profile or a role in your essay but also somewhere depict that you are flexible enough to look at other options.

The thing is that your Goals are a function of your current level of acquired understanding but in a class of 770 with a lot of staff and faculty mentors this understanding is bound to change and thus your goals too may change.

Umpteen times in the past I have seen ppl come in with a certain goal in mind and go out with a totally different kind of job. For Example there was this Doctor who wanted to get into hospital management but ended up taking up an investment bankers role with a health fund.

Hope you get my point...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [2]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
@llewellyn75 I think it's time you go international ask-admission-consultants-124/

;)
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
farhanc85 wrote:
@llewellyn75 I think it's time you go international

;)

Too much on my plate thanks to ISB... But yes I keep doing a little work here and there on the international schools front. To be honest I would like sticking to a niche set of schools instead of going all out.

But thanks for the tip... I will explore the link...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [5]
Send PM
Kudos