GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 14:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 12:42
Quote:
the slots for feedback are really full...keep calling Admission Office, you will get a slot as soon as new slots get opened.

Ok. Will do. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 20:15
ShellyCooper wrote:
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
Just had a feedback session. The person did not have my application, but only my interview form:

1. Nothing wrong with my application. Could have been admitted. Reason for ding was the competitive applicant pool.
I asked for elaboration on this: "Competitive applicant pool" means, though I did well, there was somebody else who performed better. I was told that, the interview panel expected a higher degree of competence from my given my work experience and educational experience (M.S. in Aero Engg. from U.S. univ). Further, the interview process requires you to present yourself in the best possible manner (your profile may be great... but you need to sell it too). Nutshell, sell yourself better in the interview as there was scope for improvement.

2. My undergrad GPA is not great. He asked me the reason for this. I explained the marking system of the Univ. His advice was to present my final year marks in the application (my final year marks were significantly higher than first three years), as my University awards the degree only on final year marks.

3. Related to point 2 - he asked if I could retake the GMAT :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . Upon demands of further elaboration: Not that 720 is not a good score, it is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .... Just that 750 or 740 or even 730 is a better score, and would've helped considering my not so great undergrad marks. He did add that he understood that retaking the GMAT would involve around 3 months of preparation (really??? I wanted ask him to look around on the GC, how much time do people spend preparing for the exam) and it was my decision on whether, I wanted to retake the exam.

4. I asked whether it wouldn't be more beneficial to work on other areas in my application besides the GMAT - such as developing leadership outside of work, which I have been working on this year. He did not comment much on it, except came back again to retaking the GMAT.

5. My work experience is OK. I asked, if it is on the higher side (I will be nearing six years next year) - I was told that, it is OK for applying in this year, but it will be go over the "accepted" limit next year.

6. When I asked if there were any red flags in my application, he only mentioned that my college marks were slightly low. No other flags.

Overall, he encouraged me to reapply this year with the advice of maybe re-taking the GMAT to compensate for my college marks.

Hello gmatbugsme84,

How did you schedule the feedback session? Who did you call? I tried Admissions office but they said I still have to wait.

Please let me know if you remember the name of the person who you talked to for scheduling the session.

Thank you.

I guess I was really lucky (yeah... what I wouldn't have given to be lucky in the application itself last time!!!)... But anyway, I just called and asked if they could schedule a feedback session for me... I didn't expect them to give the feedback on the spot... I did ask for an hour to prepare for the session and then called back... Just keep trying...
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2014, 20:57
The placement report available in the website is for the class of 2013, does anyone have an idea when we'd be getting the report for 2014? Shouldn't it be out by now?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2014, 23:54
Hi
I rcvd a feedback session on my application. It was great to note that low gmat score did not had much effect on my rejection. I was rejected coz f slightly weak communication skills. They have asked to apply again with a little bit of improved gmat score. It has fueled confidence in me. Looking to apply in 2017 hahahhahaha....

Archit
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2014, 23:59
An IT Consultant with four years of work ex in BFS domain. Applying to ISB this year in R1.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 00:50
architanand143 wrote:
Hi
I rcvd a feedback session on my application. It was great to note that low gmat score did not had much effect on my rejection. I was rejected coz f slightly weak communication skills. They have asked to apply again with a little bit of improved gmat score. It has fueled confidence in me. Looking to apply in 2017 hahahhahaha....

Archit

Hi Archit

Did u change your display name? I was a regular at gmatclub.com last year and had a chat with you then. Where are you nowadays
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 01:20
Hi

Archit
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 01:22
Dipankar6435 wrote:
architanand143 wrote:
Hi

Archit

Hi Archit

Did u change your display name? I was a regular at gmatclub.com last year and had a chat with you then. Where are you nowadays

Hi

I do not knw hw the profile name gt changed or a new profile gt created. Yes the profile its me only. I have got selected by MIT's Scale network. I will be starting this August

Archit
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V28
GPA: 2.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 09:49
i would like to ask a question in general to all.....
I have a poor academic score.... It is irreversible.... nothing I can do to change it... Does it mean that all doors are shut.
There is this one person he has 710GMAt score and still is been told it is not enough. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Is it only me or that something is really wrong????
Somehow something does not ring here....
any comments on this ???? Can u give me an insight?????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 11:23
nikhiljd wrote:
I have a poor academic score.... It is irreversible.... nothing I can do to change it... Does it mean that all doors are shut.
There is this one person he has 710GMAt score and still is been told it is not enough. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi

Don't lose hope!!!! There is this person, Who has been told that 650 + an improved communication skill, will seal the deal fr him. And, It has been told by ISB in the feedback. See the road to perfection is endless, It depends on where u stop and focus on other aspects of application. I personally know people with 630,Who got admitted and people with 730 got rejected. Make your goals clear and try to connect those with ISB ie how can ISB help u achieve that.

Archit
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 12:37
nikhiljd wrote:

Hey ... How did you know my story? I have not told it to anyone up till now :P :)

I had an interview call for the 2013 intake, but screwed the interview.
Reapplied for 2014 intake, but did not get a call, because they did not see any improvement in my profile.

I have 72% in my B.Tech and a 710 score and had a feedback session with ISB 2 days back.

They told me that since I belong to a very competitive IT pool, I need to compensate for my low acads by a higher GMAT score, because many people have 700s and 710s, but better GPAs. So a higher GMAT will help.

And as Archit said, the doors are not shut at all. Outliers are always there. I know many people with low GMAT scores in ISB
What is your GMAT score? and what is your background?

Regards,
Ankur
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Brand Management (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 05:54
Hello to new applicants and welcome back to the seasoned ones :).
I am gonna give it one more shot, but a lil wisely this time. Last year it was only ISB, hopefully this year there will be more schools.

So I heard something about the feedback session, do we call directly at the PGP contact number on the website?
Is there any specific time for this?

Who is giving these feedbacks?
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 20:01
farhanc85 wrote:
Hello to new applicants and welcome back to the seasoned ones :).
I am gonna give it one more shot, but a lil wisely this time. Last year it was only ISB, hopefully this year there will be more schools.

So I heard something about the feedback session, do we call directly at the PGP contact number on the website?
Is there any specific time for this?

Who is giving these feedbacks?

Hey welcome back :)

The feedback is given by the ADOCM members, Mr. Srinath I believe.
Its better to call them up directly. I did not get a reply of my mails, so I called them up ad set up the feedback session.
They do a nice job in giving the feedback :)

Phone Number: +91 40 2318 7474
All the best!
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 21:40
ankurgupta03 wrote:

Its better to call them up directly. I did not get a reply of my mails, so I called them up ad set up the feedback session.

All the best!

Hi Ankur,

Good job with the thread. :). Thanks for the contact details. I sent them a mail and got a revert. Will call them in a few days if I don't hear back from them.

Thanks

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 04:32
farhanc85 wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:

All the best!

Hi Ankur,

Good job with the thread. :). Thanks for the contact details. I sent them a mail and got a revert. Will call them in a few days if I don't hear back from them.

Thanks

In case their revert is not for scheduling a session, I'd call right away.

BTW, is anyone attending the seminars that are taking place in various locations. It is a good opportunity to network. I got some help and further feedback at a session (and some ensuing emails with the ISB officials at the seminar).

For dates check this out: http://www.isb.edu/pgp/admissions/admission-events
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 23:56
ankurgupta03 wrote:

All the best!

So I guess I am a little late again. I called and got a reply that feedback is in process and after sending a request mail, the applicants will be contacted.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2014, 02:06
harish696 wrote:
The placement report available in the website is for the class of 2013, does anyone have an idea when we'd be getting the report for 2014? Shouldn't it be out by now?

Harish,

Some information on ISB placements for 2014 is available at this link:
ISB placements 2014: what changed, and why it matters

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-24-2014
GPA: 2.75
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2014, 10:24
€œINNOVATION €?- wordweb says it's, a creation resulting from study and experimentation. It also says that the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new, is called innovation.

I think the term innovation, is an action, which come to existence when we question a conventional process (here process can be anything), study and replace it with new process which is more effective and efficient.

Friends/Experts! What is your take on innovation?

Please contribute your thoughts in this thread and help me and others to understand it well. A proper understanding will help us to answer the first essay better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2014, 22:13
griffins wrote:
€œINNOVATION €?- wordweb says it's, a creation resulting from study and experimentation. It also says that the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new, is called innovation.

I think the term innovation, is an action, which come to existence when we question a conventional process (here process can be anything), study and replace it with new process which is more effective and efficient.

Friends/Experts! What is your take on innovation?

Please contribute your thoughts in this thread and help me and others to understand it well. A proper understanding will help us to answer the first essay better.

This is what I posted on pagalguy

I am glad that ISB has given this essay, more than shining away I think this essay is more about sharing your learning and how you view stuff around you. Sure if you have been a innovator there is nothing bad in coming out and speaking about it but they have identified that not everyone gets that chance.An observant bystander who appreciates innovation around him can adapt to be an innovator in future. Another thing I would like to add to this would be, Innovation might not necessarily mean introduction of something new, it can be a conglomeration of ideas put together, have a look at this article on Forbes for better understanding

www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/0 ... e-to-exp...

A point which can be neglected quite easily is "negate this idea", now I am not so daring(yet) but if any of you have encountered some special case where innovation wasn't the key to success but it was actually the opposite then I am sure you might get some brownie points for being daring. But in this there is a big trap, so do it at your risk. Just my two cents.
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 12:08
Guys I have an average score(640) in GMAT and 5 years experience(Business Intelligence And Analytics Specialist) with a Top American Defence Contractor.
Academics are decent (i think so :oops: ) Xth-86% XIIth:84.1% and Btech CGPA:8.4/10.
Extracurriculars:Decent
Professionally,I have multiple promotions,thought leadership initiatives,awards and recognition from CIO,etc to showcase.
Do you guys think it would be advisable to apply now or should i retake the GMAT and apply.(which i think i should)?Just in case do you think i should gamble with the 640?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2014, 12:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  51    Next  [ 1004 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: warriorguy, LeoN88