Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [22]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [6]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Sustainability, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: A nonprofit organization in Motor City [#permalink]
binit wrote:
In this Question many possible situations could be responsible for the failure of the plan. E.g. if buses produce more pollution compared to other vehicles, as D states.
But wait!!! D only mentioned cars. Who said that students usually commute by cars? They may use a motorbike or a bicycle :wink: making D wrong choice. B,C and E are easy eliminated, I guess.

~Binit.

I marked D in the first place, but I understood why it is a wrong option. Still I am not able to find the reason for C and E to be wrong. Why did you prefer A over rest of the options?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
A nonprofit organization in Motor City has proposed that local college students
be given the option to buy half-price monthly passes for the city's public transportation
system. The nonprofit claims that this plan will reduce air pollution in
Motor City while increasing profits for the city's public transportation system.
However, this plan is unlikely to meet its goals, as_____________ .

(A) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as unsafe - CORRECT- Since if most students will not prefer transportation for safety reasons most of them will not get the passes.

(B) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as prohibitively
expensive - This strengthens since the passes are going to minimize the expense and most students will travel by buses

(C) college students typically do not have the 9-to-5 schedules of most workers,
and can thus be expected to ride public transportation at times when there
are plenty of empty seats - Its a monthly pass hence doesnt matter when the students board the bus

(D) a bus produces more air pollution per mile than does a car - Irrelevant to the scenario since the bus has always been there if not for students. So doesnt affect the plan in any way.

(E) a large proportion of the college students in Motor City live off campus - Strengthens by saying that more students will use the bus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Yogita25 wrote:
binit wrote:
In this Question many possible situations could be responsible for the failure of the plan. E.g. if buses produce more pollution compared to other vehicles, as D states.
But wait!!! D only mentioned cars. Who said that students usually commute by cars? They may use a motorbike or a bicycle :wink: making D wrong choice. B,C and E are easy eliminated, I guess.

~Binit.

I marked D in the first place, but I understood why it is a wrong option. Still I am not able to find the reason for C and E to be wrong. Why did you prefer A over rest of the options?

Hi Yogita25,
I am trying to explain briefly.
In C the main point is TIME, but the plan would still be successful irrespective of the time students travel - In fact, the way C is written it eliminates a possible weakener - students do not prefer bus travel because seats are unavailable.
E definitely strengthens the plan: As college students in Motor City live off campus, they would love the monthly pass idea.
Only A gives a definite reason that can lead to the failure of the plan, I understand you may not like option A because it seems to be a very casual point, but that's where the trick lies. Wrong answers usually come in fancy disguise :wink: POE would probably be the best way to go here.

~Binit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
Honestly, A seemed to easy when I first read it! This would be to obvious was my first reaction, crossed it off in my mind and then I somehow got mislead by D.

Yogita25 pointed out very well why that choice is wrong, who said that students drive by car? They may use motorcycles or any other mean of transportation.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
apoorv601 wrote:
be given the option to buy half-price monthly passes for the city's public transportation
Motor City while increasing profits for the city's public transportation system.

a note to keep in mind: students will not buy passes, thus, no increase in profits.

(A) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as unsafe
gives a good reason why students would not buy passes. most = 51-100%
even if 1-49% would buy, then it will not be sufficient to cover the losses since the passes would be sold at 1/2 price.
A is a very good candidate for correct answer.

(B) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as prohibitively
expensive
but the price would be 1/2. so out.

(C) college students typically do not have the 9-to-5 schedules of most workers,
are plenty of empty seats
so what? does this mean that they will not buy passes? no.

(D) a bus produces more air pollution per mile than does a car
irrelevant. we need $$ side as well. furthermore, for ex. 40 people can take the bus in the same time. what if they take cars instead? 40 cars can produce more pollution than a bus. thus, D is out.

(E) a large proportion of the college students in Motor City live off campus
this gives a good reason to buy the pass.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
apoorv601 wrote:

expensive

I still don't get why not option B. the option says tickets are prohibitively expensive. So even if tickets are reduced by half there is no reason to assume that tickets will still be affordable.

In option A just because public transport is viewed as unsafe does not mean they will not use it does not sound good. In real world most of the times public transports are considered unsafe. Does this mean we don't use it? I always thought GMAT uses real world examples !

Any thoughts !
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31949 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
hwgmat2015 wrote:
apoorv601 wrote:

expensive

I still don't get why not option B. the option says tickets are prohibitively expensive. So even if tickets are reduced by half there is no reason to assume that tickets will still be affordable.

In option A just because public transport is viewed as unsafe does not mean they will not use it does not sound good. In real world most of the times public transports are considered unsafe. Does this mean we don't use it? I always thought GMAT uses real world examples !

Any thoughts !

HI,

FIRST we are to find what the plan is-
the plan is to encourage the students to use public transport by reducing the price of the ticket. so the consideration for plan to work is that the students will get attracted to LOW prices.

Now lets see the choice A and B
This choice tells us that it is not the money that is the reason for students avoiding Public transport but the safety issues related to it..CORRECT

(B) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as prohibitively expensive
the students view it very expensive, so a cut of 50% should actually be the reason to move to the PUBLIC transport..
We should not get into too much of assumptions, since it says it is expensive and there is a slash of 50%, the rates have come down considerably and it is good enough reason for the students,atleast a few, to shift to this mode of transport
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Nice Question!!!

Options are very close!!!

took 2.5 min. :(
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
A nonprofit organization in Motor City [#permalink]
Kudos
A nonprofit organization in Motor City has proposed that local college students be given the option to buy half-price monthly passes for the city's public transportation system. The nonprofit claims that this plan will reduce air pollution in Motor City while increasing profits for the city's public transportation system. However, this plan is unlikely to meet its goals, as_____________ .

(A) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as unsafe - Correct - provides a reason that in spite of two good things about the plan, students will not use public transport

(B) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as prohibitively expensive - Incorrect - but as per plan , students will get passes at 50% price

(C) college students typically do not have the 9-to-5 schedules of most workers, and can thus be expected to ride public transportation at times when there are plenty of empty seats - Incorrect - this gives a reason that the plan can be successful

(D) a bus produces more air pollution per mile than does a car - Incorrect - but a bus can take a larger number of passengers

(E) a large proportion of the college students in Motor City live off campus - Irrelevant - if this is true , then college students can become a potential customer base

Answer A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
apoorv601 wrote:
A nonprofit organization in Motor City has proposed that local college students be given the option to buy half-price monthly passes for the city's public transportation system. The nonprofit claims that this plan will reduce air pollution in Motor City while increasing profits for the city's public transportation system. However, this plan is unlikely to meet its goals, as_____________ .

(B) most college students in Motor City view public transportation as prohibitively expensive

(C) college students typically do not have the 9-to-5 schedules of most workers, and can thus be expected to ride public transportation at times when there are plenty of empty seats

Imo E

In question such as this always expect to have some extra information in options .
A and B actually strengthens the argument .
E also strengthens the argument
D is irrelevant .

Whereas we are given that the transportation system is unsafe so it will be a deterant for the students even if the prices of passes are reduced
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
A could be a best option.

But It`s a bit problematic.

A only states that it is unsafe.
But, In premises we do know price will be half of the present price.

If there were another contender, A could have not been a right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
Kudos
bluetrain wrote:
A could be a best option.

But It`s a bit problematic.

A only states that it is unsafe.
But, In premises we do know price will be half of the present price.

If there were another contender, A could have not been a right answer.

I don't think its problematic. We know from argument that non profit wants students to travel on public transportation. They think they only think stopping students from using it currently is the high cost. So they propose cutting ticket price to half. NOW what is the way this plan would fail?

if cost is not the biggest consideration

if I am student and I think my safety is at stake... even if the ride is free, I would not take it. Hence A is the clear winner. Of course, it could be something else in a correct answer.
Like the buses take twice as long to reach places because of longer routes or something...
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
A nonprofit organization in Motor City [#permalink]

Conclusion The plan of providing half price monthly pass to city's Publication Transportation system for the students is unlikely to meet its goal .

Premise :

1.The nonprofit claims that this plan will reduce air pollution in Motor City while increasing profits for the city's public transportation system

we are we need to strengthen this conclusion

let's analyse
In what scenario, the plan is unlikely to meet its goal.
what if the students who were given half price for the cities Transportation system don't like to to use public transport..In that case the plan will not meet its goal..
With this understanding let's go for POE

1. This can be my answer.. if most college student in motor city view public transport as unsafe then less than 50% student may use public transport .In that case we have a strong reason to believe that the plan may not achieve its intended goal

1.Most college students in motor city view public transportation as expensive but right now they are given a choice to travel in half price .so it doesn't provide a strong belief that students may not opt for the public transportation

(C) college students typically do not have the 9-to-5 schedules of most workers, and can thus be expected to ride public transportation at times when there are plenty of empty seats

-- This is a weakener to the conclusion

-- This is out of scope to the conclusion

(E) a large proportion of the college students in Motor City live off campus[/quote]

-- This is a weakener to the conclusion

A is the best choice and is my answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts