Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 14:28 It is currently 04 May 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Running and Walking Trails in Hanover

By Megan Kelso, Tuck Partner

Megan is a freelance graphic designer and illustrator for stationery products. You can see her work at www.meganlkelso.com. Megan grew up in Ithaca, New York, studied art at Colgate University, and then lived and worked in Washington, DC for several years. She now lives in Sachem with her husband, Mark, a T’17.

We’ve been so lucky this fall with beautiful, sunny weather in the Upper Valley. One of my favorite ways to take advantage of this season is by running outside—it’s great to take in some fresh air, sunshine, and nature along with your workout.

There is an abundance of trails around Hanover, but the following seven are the ones I return to most often. My criteria for a good place to run are: 1) a wide path that’s not overgrown and has good footing, 2) not too many hills, 3) two or three miles long, 4) preferably a loop, and 5) nice scenery. If you are looking for something similar, all of the following are great options. If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!

1. River Trail (Mink Brook to Maple Street)

This 2-mile trail starts at a small parking area off of Main Street. It winds along Mink Brook and the Connecticut River, and then connects to Maple Street in Hanover. Once you’re on the road, you can continue to run on the streets around town and campus to make your run as long or short as you’d like. There’s just one steep hill, with steps, just before the trail connects to Maple Street but otherwise the trail is flat and enjoyable with great views across the river. 

2. Wheelock Trail

This trail also runs along Mink Brook, but starts on the opposite side of Main Street as the River Trail. It starts in a cleared lot and winds through pine forests and along a picturesque brook with moss-covered logs and rocks. It does get a little rocky in some spots, but it’s worth it for the scenery. Follow the blue trail markers all the way to the end of the trail, then turn around and go back the way you came, crossing over the bridge on the right to make a loop at the end. 

3. Storrs Pond

Storrs Pond is a recreational area a short drive from campus with a beach, swimming area, and campground for the summer months. As you can see in the pictures, there are endless trail routes around Storrs Pond. If you stick to the 2-mile trail directly next to the pond, you’ll have great views of the water. 

4. Norwich Nature Center

The nature center in Norwich has a loop that is just under a mile long. It’s perfect for a nice short walk to break up the day. 

5. Rip Road

Although not technically a trail, these wooded roads on the outskirts of Hanover are still a great place to run outside. It starts at the edge of campus and connects back via Lyme Road along the golf course. You can also turn onto any of the trails around the golf course to make your trip longer.

6. Sachem Village Loop

Running around Sachem, across Main Street, and around one of the loops at the end of Oak Ridge Road ends up being about a 2.5 mile easy run mostly on sidewalks.

7. Pine Park and Occom Pond

This is my favorite place to run in Hanover. You can park at the fence at the northern end of Occom Pond. Take the trails through the pine forests around the golf course, along the Connecticut River and then along Girl Brook. On any warm afternoon, you’ll pass dozens of people walking the scenic loop around Occom Pond. 

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SherLocked2018 wrote:
anyone applied with your better half(spouse) ? both got interview invites? or any one ?

I am applying with my spouse.
I got the invitation two weeks ago.
We are still waiting for the other one...... Getting anxious

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
MBAgal2018 wrote:
So I attended the Diversity Conference a few weeks ago and although it was nice, it could have been better. As a black women, it pains me to say this but I actually had a better experience with the current white students than with the current black students. This was especially true when it came to the current black men. The black students just didn't seem to engage at the same level as the white students. There was no enthusiasm or energy from them but rather really flat. They almost seemed standoffish or lack of a better word, bougie. Now, this isn't an attempt on my part to paint Tuck in a negative light, I like the school as a whole, but to simply talk about my experience. For it to be a Diversity Conference Tuck seemed to do a poor job of actually integrating the current minority students with the prospects. It also didn't help that there was some chatter about a current white student asking what the difference was between diversity weekend and any other weekend? They lock their doors for diversity weekend. I don't know the veracity of the statement but I don't know why such a rumor would even come up if it weren't true. I think that if Tuck wants to have more minorities attend the school then Tuck should really use the current black students as leverage.

I feel somewhat sad reading about your interactions with the currents black students while at the conference. I think as black people we go into situations thinking that there will be automatic chemistry with other blacks but that's always the case. I was at the conference and I had great interactions with the prospects but to be honest I didn't really see that many current black students anyway. I spoke with some black students but most of the conversations were superficial as many were busy with midterms and other obligations. I'm not sure that I would categorize it as being bougie since that was the case with the white students as well. However, I guess your case is different since you saying there was a marked difference between the whites and blacks. I think what is important for any of us is to make connections, be it black or white, because even though you did not have great interactions with the black students there are still 250 other students. Was there anything specific that you felt the black students did? You mentioned the men specifically but I can't imagine anyone current black student saying something out of line.

Now I did hear from the person who did witness the white student making the comment. I think we just have to realize that there is still a lot of bigotry all over the US and Tuck is not exempt. The person that told me did say that he relayed the information to a Diversity Committee student so hopefully they addressed the student. Feel free to PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
MBAgal2018 wrote:
So I attended the Diversity Conference a few weeks ago and although it was nice, it could have been better. As a black women, it pains me to say this but I actually had a better experience with the current white students than with the current black students. This was especially true when it came to the current black men. The black students just didn't seem to engage at the same level as the white students. There was no enthusiasm or energy from them but rather really flat. They almost seemed standoffish or lack of a better word, bougie. Now, this isn't an attempt on my part to paint Tuck in a negative light, I like the school as a whole, but to simply talk about my experience. For it to be a Diversity Conference Tuck seemed to do a poor job of actually integrating the current minority students with the prospects. It also didn't help that there was some chatter about a current white student asking what the difference was between diversity weekend and any other weekend? They lock their doors for diversity weekend. I don't know the veracity of the statement but I don't know why such a rumor would even come up if it weren't true. I think that if Tuck wants to have more minorities attend the school then Tuck should really use the current black students as leverage.

I feel somewhat sad reading about your interactions with the currents black students while at the conference. I think as black people we go into situations thinking that there will be automatic chemistry with other blacks but that's always the case. I was at the conference and I had great interactions with the prospects but to be honest I didn't really see that many current black students anyway. I spoke with some black students but most of the conversations were superficial as many were busy with midterms and other obligations. I'm not sure that I would categorize it as being bougie since that was the case with the white students as well. However, I guess your case is different since you saying there was a marked difference between the whites and blacks. I think what is important for any of us is to make connections, be it black or white, because even though you did not have great interactions with the black students there are still 250 other students. Was there anything specific that you felt the black students did? You mentioned the men specifically but I can't imagine anyone current black student saying something out of line.

Now I did hear from the person who did witness the white student making the comment. I think we just have to realize that there is still a lot of bigotry all over the US and Tuck is not exempt. The person that told me did say that he relayed the information to a Diversity Committee student so hopefully they addressed the student. Feel free to PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Tuck '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GRE 1: Q163 V156
GPA: 3.76
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBAgal2018 wrote:

I caught the tail end of the Div Co and, ethnicity aside, I was quite impressed by the diversity of students’ backgrounds and the array of activities I was a part of during my visit. I also met some wonderfully open and considerate black women and men during my trip, so it is sad to hear you did not. Surely, your generalizations do not apply to all of the black students there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi folks,

I went for the on campus interview early this month. I would say that I was impressed by the overall setup. But my interviewer was not so casual...as what I heard from other fellow applicants. Everyone I speak to says that Tuck's interview is always very friendly and cove rational. Even my interviews in other Bschools was very good.

My instinct says that it might be a sign of ding :( can anyone share his or her experience if it's similar?

On a side note, indeed you don't have anything other than Tuck at Hanover :) I was surprised to see that how a business school can thrive in such a remote location..probably its the location that is the strong point as they say..

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys,
Had a Skype interview yesterday. My interviewer was a second year candidate and it was very casual and friendly and more of a conversational interview than just Q/A. He asked me the following question after his primary introduction
1. Introduce yourself
2. Tell me about your community service experience
3. Tell me more about your professional experience (Data analytics and decision making)
4. Tell about a time you performed exceptionally and beyond expectations
5. Tell about a time when you failed and what did you learn from that
6. What are your Long term goals and why Tuck?
7. What apart from education are your looking at tuck?
8. At Tuck we work in study groups. So at end of 2 years what would your study group describe you as?
9. Which communities will you be interested in at Tuck and why?
10. Do you have any questions for me?
It was a fun experience and quite an open discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
addict1ve wrote:
Hi folks,

I went for the on campus interview early this month. I would say that I was impressed by the overall setup. But my interviewer was not so casual...as what I heard from other fellow applicants. Everyone I speak to says that Tuck's interview is always very friendly and cove rational. Even my interviews in other Bschools was very good.

My instinct says that it might be a sign of ding :( can anyone share his or her experience if it's similar?

On a side note, indeed you don't have anything other than Tuck at Hanover :) I was surprised to see that how a business school can thrive in such a remote location..probably its the location that is the strong point as they say..

Cheers

Addict1ve - the tone of the interview can vary depending on various outside influences. The objective of the interview is mainly to determine fit and collect additional data. You could have easily just had a second year in a rush and wanted to get the information they needed quickly. I wouldn't worry about it. If you answered the interviewers questions well, then you did your job. Also, you made the effort to go up for the interview and that is something they will take note of.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
GMATAssociate wrote:
addict1ve wrote:
Hi folks,

Cheers

Addict1ve - the tone of the interview can vary depending on various outside influences. The objective of the interview is mainly to determine fit and collect additional data. You could have easily just had a second year in a rush and wanted to get the information they needed quickly. I wouldn't worry about it. If you answered the interviewers questions well, then you did your job. Also, you made the effort to go up for the interview and that is something they will take note of.

Good Luck!

Thanks bro..I am quite confident of my answers and I hope for the positive results..

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Are there any first round applicants waiting for their application to be processed? I applied on 4th November and Tuck hasn't yet received my GMAT!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Gourmet16 wrote:
Are there any first round applicants waiting for their application to be processed? I applied on 4th November and Tuck hasn't yet received my GMAT!!

Hey - In the same boat, don't read too much into it. They update it as they process applications (and no it does not mean you will get a ding if they haven't started processing it yet). They are still working through early applications as their decisions come out in approximately a month.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck, Forte & Food Trucks: A Q&A with Becca T’17

This post originally appeared on Accepted.com and has been reposted here with permission.

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? Where are you currently in business school? What year?

Becca: I’m originally from Westford, MA, a suburb of Boston. I moved to DC in 2007 to attend the George Washington University where I studied international business. After falling in love with the city while at GW, I accepted a management consulting job in DC, where I worked for 4 years prior to Tuck.

Now I’m at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth (class of 2017) and am thrilled to be back in New England!

Accepted: Can you share three fun facts about yourself?

Becca:

1. I am a dual citizen, thanks to my mom who is from the English countryside.

2. At a diner in DC, I once got the chance to tell my favorite actor, Ben Affleck, about my love for his first film, Good Will Hunting.

3. In August I survived Outward Bound, a 5-day sailing pre-term program at Tuck, off the coast of Maine with 40+ of my new Tuck classmates.

Accepted: Which business schools did you apply to? Why did you choose Tuck?

Becca: 

Searching for a small, community-oriented school in a non-urban location, I applied to Darden (UVA), Fuqua (Duke), Yale SOM, and Tuck (Dartmouth). While I loved my visits and interactions at each school, I felt at home at Tuck immediately. A combination of the student body’s warmth and inclusion, the beautiful Upper Valley location, and emphasis on the 24/7 living and learning community made everything feel right. I had a feeling that I would be extremely challenged by my peers and professors in this setting, which has definitely been true.

Accepted: Can you tell us about Forte’s MBALaunch program? Why did you decide to join the program and what did you gain from the experience?

Becca: 

Forte’s MBALaunch program is a 10-month program pairing MBA-seeking women with a support network and providing a structured roadmap for successfully applying to business school.

In my opinion, it reduces the barriers women face when making such a life-changing decision as earning an MBA, and capitalizes on the power of peer and mentor connections. I applied to the program to help myself stay on track with the many phases of applying to business school and to get connected with other women with similar aspirations.

The two most tangible things I gained from MBALaunch were 1) the confidence to face each b-school application head-on, knowing that I had done everything I could to be successful, from locking down recommendations, to writing a well-structured essay, to nailing the campus visit; and 2) my peer group of four other women in my former city and our peer group advisor. This group was essential to my application process; we relentlessly edited each other’s essays, sent words of encouragement at every step, and kept each other on track. We still email every week, now that we’re enrolled at different schools! (Feel free to check out my blog post that I wrote while applying to schools, “The Value of the MBALaunch Network,” on Forte’s site for more info!)

Accepted: We have some MBALaunch applicants and participants reading this interview — can you share a few tips about how to make the most of the MBALaunch experience? Do you have any other tips for women applying to business school?

Becca:

1.  In addition to participating in the awesome virtual events like webinars, make sure you take advantage of the in-person opportunities if they’re realistic for you location-wise! The two most powerful events during my experience were the Launch event early on, and my monthly peer group meetings.

2.  Use your Peer Group Advisors! These advisors are women who attended top-rated business schools and are now in awesome jobs, and they want to help each one of you. Get one-on-one time over the phone or via Skype, and be honest about your fears and questions. They have been in your shoes!

3.  In general, I recommend getting the GMAT out of the way as early as possible. This frees you up to focus on your essays, campus visits, and the more fun parts of the process. Don’t get in the downward spiral of taking the test over and over again to earn a few extra points – it is only one of many pieces of the application.

Accepted: Are you involved in any extracurricular activities at Tuck? How central to student life is club activity?

Becca:

One unique extracurricular is that I am interning with the management team of a Tuckie-founded food truck called theBOX, which began as a First Year Project and is Hanover’s first food truck. As a food-lover and aspiring brand manager, this has already been so applicable and exciting.

I’m also an active participate in the Marketing club, which has been fantastic in preparing me for my career switch.

One of the special things about Tuck is the opportunity to get involved in extracurricular activities with classmates that reach beyond the classroom and career interests – from cultural clubs to sports and service clubs.

For me, one of the highlights has been playing ice hockey (called “Tripod Hockey” here), an activity you can participate in no matter your skill level. I wasn’t sure I’d participate, but I took the plunge and now I play about twice a week with my team. It has been an absolute blast, and a great way to get to know second-year students. 

Accepted: What was your pre-MBA job? Do you plan on staying in that industry post-MBA or moving to something else? What’s your dream job?

Becca: 

Prior to Tuck I was in management consulting at Deloitte, working with Federal Government clients. I came to business school to use the broad exposure I got in consulting to explore brand management at a consumer packaged goods (CPG) company, ideally in the food and beverage space. My dream job would be managing a food brand that I love, using a mixture of creativity and structured thinking to solve tough problems, while working with inspiring people.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Status for GMAT still says awaiting when i sent the results around 3 months back :/
Arent they even going to review the application ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
sharmaanurag wrote:
Status for GMAT still says awaiting when i sent the results around 3 months back :/

Don't worry, all applications definitely do get read. In fact, the admissions team are deep into reading EA applications right now. If they are missing any pieces of information, they will be in touch.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
sharmaanurag wrote:

Don't worry, all applications definitely do get read. In fact, the admissions team are deep into reading EA applications right now. If they are missing any pieces of information, they will be in touch.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Any hope of EA round applicants getting an invite anymore?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
chinoo411 wrote:
Any hope of EA round applicants getting an invite anymore?

I am in the same bucket. :( almost given up. Would be helpful if someone can answer this.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts