Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 21:34
Thanks a lot Hemant, that was encouraging. :)

Well would also like to know that how would multiple score impact selection in other colleges outside India. Having 3-4 scores is seen as negative or simply it doest not matter at all.

Thanks.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 10:22
Great thread. Many thanks.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 11

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 10:52
This is exactly what I was looking for..... Thanks ....

If Electricity comes from Electrons , Does Morality come from Morons ??

If you find my post useful ... then please give me kudos ......:)

h(n) defined as product of even integers from 2 to n
Number N divided by D leaves remainder R
Ultimate list of MBA scholarships for international applicants

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 02:36
First of all, i would like to thank GMAT club for shapin my GMAT prep. I jus gave the test and got a 660 (Quant - 46 and Verbal - 36). Though disappointed at not touching the 700 mark, i feel i have a shot at some of the US B schools. So instead of prep for a re-take, i'd be focusin on perfecting my essays. Have appended my profile below. Would be extremely grateful if someone can give a list of B schools that i can apply with the score i've got. Tks in advance!

Nationality - Indian
Background - Chartered Accountant
Work Exp - 3.5 yrs - 3 with Ernst and Young and 6 months with a UAE Company based out of Dubai
GPA - 3.6 (Majored in Commerce)
Have good extra-curriculars and was the cultural secy of my college

Also, can anyone of you tell me if i have a chance of getting thro at INSEAD or ISB, given that the cut off is 700.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 22:50
I am non-English speaker and took my exam last week in Australia. Very bad, 460 (Q39/50, V15/8, AWA4.5). Don't think I was ready but just want to see what's my current level. It's definitely a suicide. Only book I had was OG12 without any practice of AWA before exam. I am full time IT professional and it's hard to follow any plan Monday to Friday. I only did a few hours every weekend probably over 3 months. You know, if fail to plan then plan to fail. I feel a little bit sorry for myself.

Now I have to retake exam probably 2 months later. I have bought all recommended books here. My target is 620 at least.

Hope all the best for everyone who has similar situation.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 09:11
thanks for the info
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 09:56
Guys,

I just joined the GMATCLUB and have something to share. I took my second attempt at GMAT one week back in Florida and scored a dismal 640, first attempt I got 710. This is a very shocking score since my practice scores were 720 and 740 on GMATPREP and above 700 for 3 MGMAT tests I took. I am not sure what to do next.
The test center I went to had some computer trouble and they gave me a computer that they normally don't use for GMAT. I doubt this had anything to do with my poor performance, but, thought would mention this anyways.
If anyone has any suggestions or would like to get more information, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2338

Kudos [?]: 9574 [0], given: 3717

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 20:39
Expert's post
thenyrock wrote:
Guys,

I just joined the GMATCLUB and have something to share. I took my second attempt at GMAT one week back in Florida and scored a dismal 640, first attempt I got 710. This is a very shocking score since my practice scores were 720 and 740 on GMATPREP and above 700 for 3 MGMAT tests I took. I am not sure what to do next.
The test center I went to had some computer trouble and they gave me a computer that they normally don't use for GMAT. I doubt this had anything to do with my poor performance, but, thought would mention this anyways.
If anyone has any suggestions or would like to get more information, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks

I have one question - why did you even retake with 710? That's really close to the average of the top 5 schools and is above for most. I am not sure that you can differentiate yourself with GMAT that much. I have seen folks with 760+ dinged brutally.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 20:48
I agree with you BB, that was a stupid decision to retake GMAT :oops: . I think partially, my high scores in GMATPREP and MGMAT prompted me to make this bad decision. In your opinion, will this second GMAT hurt me a lot ? Would you suggest any further retakes ? I just have no clue as what to do :(
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 20:54
Expert's post
thenyrock wrote:
I agree with you BB, that was a stupid decision to retake GMAT :oops: . I think partially, my high scores in GMATPREP and MGMAT prompted me to make this bad decision. In your opinion, will this second GMAT hurt me a lot ? Would you suggest any further retakes ? I just have no clue as what to do :(

No, it was not stupid. I think it is fine. Won't hurt. I think you may want to sink most of your time into the Applications/essays/etc at this time. Again, I have seen plenty of dings with 760's and higher.

Here are the averages/80th percentile for top schools:

GMAT Scores for Top MBA Programs
#School NameAverage Gmat80% GMAT range
1Stanford GSB Full-time MBA728680-770
2Harvard Business School Full-Time MBA724680-770
3Yale Full-time MBA722680-760
4Wharton Full-time MBA718670-760
5MIT (Sloan) Full-time MBA718670-760
6UC Berkeley (Haas) Full-time MBA718590-730
7Dartmouth (Tuck) Full-time MBA716670-760
8Chicago (Booth) Full-time MBA715660-760
9NYU (Stern) Full-time MBA715660-760
10Northwestern (Kellogg) Full-time 2 Year MBA714660-760
11Columbia 2 Year MBA712670-760
12Indian School of Business Full-time MBA712670-750
13UCLA (Anderson) Full-time MBA710680-750
14Michigan (Ross) Full-time MBA704650-750
15London Business School Full-time MBA702
16Oxford (Said) Full-time MBA700
17UVA (Darden) Full-time MBA699640-750
18Duke (Fuqua) Full-time MBA697620-760
19Washington University in St Louis (Olin) Full-time MBA695640-750
20CMU (Tepper) Full-time MBA694640-750
21University of California Davis Full-time MBA692650-740
22UC Berkeley (Haas) EWMBA691640-750
23Northwestern (Kellogg) Part-time MBA690
24USC (Marshall) Full-time MBA690640-740
25Cambridge (Judge) Full-time MBA690630-740
26Chicago (Booth) Part-time MBA687
27UCLA (Anderson) FEMBA687640-730
28Cornell (Johnson) Full-time MBA687620-740
29UNC (Kenan-Flagler) Full-time MBA686550-720
30Notre Dame (Mendoza) Full-time MBA685600-750

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 19:29
Hi bb,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I agree with you, I think I would be better off spending my remaining time doing applications.

In your opinion, do you think it is possible that there is any correlation between the computer trouble at the test center with me scoring that low ? I am particularly surprised because I scored 47 in quant, whereas my prep scores for quant were mostly 50s and some 51s. I am totally unfamiliar with how the testing software is installed and what all the test centers do to make it work, so I might be totally wrong about this.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:53
Expert's post
thenyrock wrote:
Hi bb,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I agree with you, I think I would be better off spending my remaining time doing applications.

In your opinion, do you think it is possible that there is any correlation between the computer trouble at the test center with me scoring that low ? I am particularly surprised because I scored 47 in quant, whereas my prep scores for quant were mostly 50s and some 51s. I am totally unfamiliar with how the testing software is installed and what all the test centers do to make it work, so I might be totally wrong about this.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Quite possible - if you feel that you could do as well on the test (hopefully a little better), you can register for a second shot, You should do at least 10-40 points better just due to standard error on the GMAT. However, you can also do 10-40 points worse. This would resolve the question and possibly give you a higher score. I would not worry about schools seeing the second score (even if lower), so I would list them all to receive the scores.

I would not do much more than 10-15 hours of studying in the entire month so it does not interfere with essays (just keep refreshing things, picking things here and there) but mostly know that you have a good score already, you are calm and relaxed but will give your best on the test day. That can get you over the 700 hump.... If you end up doing this - you must promise to come back and post your experience though.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 17:31
I think that's a great advice and I will do as you have suggested. I would surely share my experience if I retake GMAT. Even if I might not be able to take it before R2 deadlines, which aren't too far, I will still take it after that just for curiosity sake.

Hypothetically speaking, say if I end up taking GMAT a week after the R2 deadlines are gone and I score something better than my 710, should I let universities that I have a newer and better score ? More importantly, will they buy that ? :)

I do really appreciate your help at this critical point in my application process. Thanks for your support !
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 18:47
Hello,
Just like everyone else, I'm trying to decide if I should retake the GMAT...

After years of putting it off... I finally decided to book my first attempt. Since my current job (Auto test Engineer) actually uses a lot of Math as well as reading and writing technical papers, I thought preparation for the exam would go rather smoothly. I gave myself 6 weeks to prepare, however during those 6 weeks I got totally slammed at work and also had many busy weekends getting ready for our first baby (showers, birthing classes, etc).

Anyways, I studied hard when I had the time and energy, but not nearly as much as I wanted.

I took the test last week and scored 590 (Q40/V31). My first thought was to book the exam 31 days later, and study even more before then. However, its looking like my time to study will not be getting any better anytime soon (holidays, work, baby stuff), and the application deadline is Feb. 15th. Plus my baby is due February 8th, which may make studying and getting all the application materials together very difficult(never know if they will come early).

I'm trying to get into the weekend MBA program at Ross. Their average GMAT score is 650.
My credentials:
BS in Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University (3.1 gpa)
MS in Automotive Systems Engineering University of Michigan - Dearborn (3.3 gpa)
7 years professional work experience with a Fortune 500 company

I have pretty a thorough resume and should be able to get letter's of recommendation from my supervisor, manager, and even the Dean from UM Dearborn's Auto Engineering program.

Any ideas? Since its a weekend program, my main concern is that if I don't get in that I will have to wait an entire year to start the program.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 02-25-2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 07:54
Hi Team,

I decided to take gmat on dec 14 2011 and i started y preparation no august 25th.

First went thru all basic from princeton review,and manhattan to brush up my English and math knowledge.As i am an engineering gradutate i have had no problem in math but found little difficult in English as all Indians.Though i found i tough it was not as tough as i went thru the journey of preparing my gmat.

October i started giving tests so that i can know myself were i actually stand.
1Gmat (practise test)- 680

Not bad than i expected to be.

Later i went thru many questions from forum called forum Grockit. i took almost 10 practise tests by the month of november and i scored in the range of 690-720.

GMat prep test-700,680 (include 2 tests)
Gmat power prep- 700,710(include 2 tests).
Kaplan Free test-680.
Princeton Review-700.

On the day of gmat i found many questions to be simple and each question i moved on was easier than the previous,i was scared that i am not getting tough once so i redid each question atleast 5 times , my answers were correct according to me. i had no doubt in my answering still i got easy question.

Though verbal was difficult i felt that i was doing ok with it but didn t have much of satisfaction

at the end of my exam though i was not expecting a 700+ i wanted to see atleast a 600 + according to my knowledge of writting,but i was shocked to see my score was 360....heart broken i dont know wat to do nxt...in the bad mind also i got my hand fractured that evening...with the injury i am trying to write my gmat this feb..anf i believe in GMat club now...

Wat i have to do next how should i prepare to score high???

Please anyone help me with this, i really need your support....

Report this post
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 02-25-2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 10:06
I decided to take gmat on dec 14 2011 and i started y preparation no august 25th.

First went thru all basic from princeton review,and manhattan to brush up my English and math knowledge.As i am an engineering gradutate i have had no problem in math but found little difficult in English as all Indians.Though i found i tough it was not as tough as i went thru the journey of preparing my gmat.

October i started giving tests so that i can know myself were i actually stand.
1Gmat (practise test)- 680

Not bad than i expected to be.

Later i went thru many questions from forum called forum Grockit. i took almost 10 practise tests by the month of november and i scored in the range of 690-720.

GMat prep test-700,680 (include 2 tests)
Gmat power prep- 700,710(include 2 tests).
Kaplan Free test-680.
Princeton Review-700.

On the day of gmat i found many questions to be simple and each question i moved on was easier than the previous,i was scared that i am not getting tough once so i redid each question atleast 5 times , my answers were correct according to me. i had no doubt in my answering still i got easy question.

Though verbal was difficult i felt that i was doing ok with it but didn t have much of satisfaction

at the end of my exam though i was not expecting a 700+ i wanted to see atleast a 600 + according to my knowledge of writting,but i was shocked to see my score was 360....heart broken i dont know wat to do nxt...in the bad mind also i got my hand fractured that evening...with the injury i am trying to write my gmat this feb..anf i believe in GMat club now...

Wat i have to do next how should i prepare to score high???

Please anyone help me with this, i really need your support....
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 01:56
I have a score of 720( V38, Q50). Initially I thought this score was enough as all the top schools have an average of around 720. I have a master in electrical engineering from a good US university(GPA of 3.4) and 4 years of experience(by Sep 2012) in process and quality related field. But I do not possess 'strong' leadership experience to break into top 10.( I know the word "strong" is subjective). My target schools are Kellogg, LBS, Columbia and Sloan.

I'll be applying for 2013 fall. My question is

1) Should I retake GMAT to make it as high as possible? I have seen guys scoring 730 still retaking the test and also heard consultancy firms prefer high GMAT score guys.
2) Do my verbal score and quantitative score have noticeable disparity?

Pros: 1) Have time.
Cons: 1)Although rare, but I have seen scores going down in second attempt.

Advices from GMAT gurus are much appreciated.

Happy clubbing till it bludgeons your head :)

Ray.

I love the smell of KUDOS +1 in the morning. :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it." - Groucho M.

Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 27

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 10:42
Ray

From what I've read on the board, for top 10 US schools, a GMAT score does not matter that much once an applicant has crossed the 700-710 threshold. Once you are in the crucial 700+ zone, the profile, essays become more important.

In my humble opinion, trying to bolster your profile in the 1 year you have could be time well spent - if not in work, then outside of work - doing community service or volunteering for non-governmental organizations could be helpful maybe. Also, the one year you have could let you spend as much time as you want on the all important essays.

That said, another stab at the GMAT probably would not hurt, must say. Don't have a view either way on this one.

Bottomline: Another attempt would not hurt if you feel like it, but probably, more important is the rest of your application and how to bolster it.

Thanks

Santanu

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 05:09
Santanu76 wrote:
Ray

From what I've read on the board, for top 10 US schools, a GMAT score does not matter that much once an applicant has crossed the 700-710 threshold. Once you are in the crucial 700+ zone, the profile, essays become more important.

In my humble opinion, trying to bolster your profile in the 1 year you have could be time well spent - if not in work, then outside of work - doing community service or volunteering for non-governmental organizations could be helpful maybe. Also, the one year you have could let you spend as much time as you want on the all important essays.

That said, another stab at the GMAT probably would not hurt, must say. Don't have a view either way on this one.

Bottomline: Another attempt would not hurt if you feel like it, but probably, more important is the rest of your application and how to bolster it.

Thanks

Santanu

Thanks Santanu for your time. Also is 720 good enough for ISB?( It may be a myth, but I have heard high GMAT score is more important for ISB).

Ray.

I love the smell of KUDOS +1 in the morning. :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it." - Groucho M.

Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 27

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 05:18
Yes, 720 is good enough for ISB, if you do okay in the interview. If you are targeting a scholarship, though, you may have to stretch the score a bit. But, I believe it is good enough for admission.

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2012, 05:18