Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1292]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: "Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT [#permalink]
Thank guy! It's perfect plan that interesting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
I took my GMAT 2 weeks ago and I got 660 (q:50;v28). I hope I will get v+35 next time. Thanks for advices.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks BB FOR THIS GUIDELINES
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Very helpful!

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 600 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
bb wrote:
I have mentioned this somewhere else - you don't need to study vocabulary just for the sake of vocabulary (unless your English is bad of course) but assuming you have some proficiency, make the judgement as you go. If you encounter a word that does not seem important in James Clavel's Shogun (armor element, for example), then you can skip it but if you are seeing the same word a few times, I would write it out, and make sure you know it.

I actually looked up almost all words (but did not write them down). If i encountered the same word again, I wrote it into my notebook.

So, to answer your question - stop and look it up is my suggestion

Greetings BB!
Thanks a lot for this helpful post.

To others (esp. the one who struggle with Vocab), below are my Recommendations:

PLEASE DO NOT WRITE DOWN VOCAB NOTES:
Here's Why --- [1] English is a vast language, you can never learn all the words; and writing down vocab notes is just like writing another dictionary in your own handwriting :P :lol: ; [2] You may definitely argue with me on my first point, and will still take a book-a dictionary-a new notebook-a pen, and still start writing these BEAUTIFUL Alien Words + Meaning + Syn. + Any. + Phrasal usage, etc, etc... (Even I did it 3 years back when was preparing for CAT); BUT, one fine night when you will reach 100th (read it as 200th or 300th, based on your stamina :P ) page this handwritten notebook --- You will come back to this post and will appreciate my first point. [3] And at last, believe me, even after writing hundreds of pages... you will still never be able to build good vocab, BCOZ logically, "Writing those words" and "Understanding those words" are 2 different things 8-)

SO, WHAT SHOULD WE DO TO IMPROVE VOCAB:
Here's the trick - Train Your brain to understand words. And believe me... it's very easy :!:
[1] As BB says, READ ALOT...; [2] While reading ANYTHING (Newspaper, Magazine, or even any SC/CR/RC content) try to guess the meaning of that word, which you don't know. VERY IMP: Just Guess! Don't refer to dictionary (you will do that later); [3] If that word was important --- chances are it will again reappear somewhere else... and again somewhere else... and the beauty is --- by that time, you must have gained a fair idea of the meaning of that word --- and be doubly sure, THEN you can refer to a dictionary and cross check.
In summary -
The point is NOT to find the exact meaning of the word (unless you are preparing only for GMAT, and not GRE :P ), but to train the mind to tackle ANY ANY Alien Word. This will help you a lot at the actual test.

:arrow: Comments are appreciated.

- Gaurav M
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I am facing lot of problem in CR. Almost every answer i mark is incorrect. I understand and pre think the passage well but during answer choice analysis, i end up selecting wrong answer.

Please suggest if i should opt for Manhattan CR or powerscore CR as currently i have enrolled in one of the online GMAT preparation course but do not see any improvement.

Also when should i start taking quizzes from this forum - after completion of one section or along with preparation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
mcsroofing company in addition to building and creating with his hands Marlon has always loved to travel. He wanted to see more of the United States and he traveled around eventually landing near Seattle. His first work opportunity in Washington was for a prominent roofing company. There he expanded his education as he went through a number of high end trainings and certifications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Awesome!!!

Not many days left to my reattempt at GMAT. However, I will try my best to inculcate as much of suggestions as I can.

How I wish that I had discovered this forum before my first attempt at GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts