Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:04

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 66

The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 13:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:31) correct 19% (01:43) wrong based on 421 sessions
The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced into North America’s Great Lakes in recent years, feeds on the eggs of lake whitefish, a native species, thus threatening the lakes’ natural ecosystem. To help track the ruffe’s spread, government agencies have produced wallet-sized cards about the ruffe. The cards contain pictures of the ruffe and explain the danger they pose; the cards also request anglers to report any ruffe they catch.
Which of the following, if true, would provide most support for the prediction that the agencies’ action will have its intended effect?
A. The ruffe has spiny fins that make it unattractive as prey.
B. Ruffe generally feed at night, but most recreational fishing on the Great Lakes is done during daytime hours.
C. Most people who fish recreationally on the Great Lakes are interested in the preservation of the lake whitefish because it is a highly prized game fish.
D. The ruffe is one of several nonnative species in the Great Lakes whose existence threatens the survival of lake whitefish populations there.
E. The bait that most people use when fishing for whitefish on the Great Lakes is not attractive to ruffe.

WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question??
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [3] , given: 109

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpunjabi wrote:
The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced into North America’s Great Lakes in recent years, feeds on the eggs of lake whitefish, a native species, thus threatening the lakes’ natural ecosystem. To help track the ruffe’s spread, government agencies have produced wallet-sized cards about the ruffe. The cards contain pictures of the ruffe and explain the danger they pose; the cards also request anglers to report any ruffe they catch.
Which of the following, if true, would provide most support for the prediction that the agencies’ action will have its intended effect?
B. Ruffe generally feed at night, but most recreational fishing on the Great Lakes is done during daytime hours.
C. Most people who fish recreationally on the Great Lakes are interested in the preservation of the lake whitefish because it is a highly prized game fish.
D. The ruffe is one of several nonnative species in the Great Lakes whose existence threatens the survival of lake whitefish populations there.
E. The bait that most people use when fishing for whitefish on the Great Lakes is not attractive to ruffe.

Look the sentences in red, the conclusion is implied: "The cards will help to track this fish".
In this case, we have to support that conclusion.

Hope it helps.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 66

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 20:29
Sorry about the Late Post, but Thank You for the Post!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 8

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi gmatpunjabi,

Here the correct answer is C (" Most people who fish recreationally on the Great Lakes are interested in the preservation of the lake whitefish because it is a highly prized game fish. " ) as it offers some support to the government program.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 00:10
So the card will help the people in tracing the ruffles.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 09:54
gmatpunjabi wrote:

I think the conclusion is given in the question.. the question asks "which of the following if true would provide most support for the PREDICTION THAT THE AGENCIES' ACTION WILL HAVE IT'S INTENDED EFFECT..."

The prediction is the conclusion IMO.. :)
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [2] , given: 51

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
C is the answer .Here we need to find a reason for the anglers to report the catch of a raffe.It is correctly stated in C that since the anglers are interested in the whitefish they would surely report when a raffe is caught since the raffe is responsible for the reduction in whitefish population .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 8

Re: WHat is the Conclusion in this CR question [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
"The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced into North America’s Great Lakes in recent years, feeds on the eggs of lake whitefish, a native species, thus threatening the lakes’ natural ecosystem."

I think this is the conclusion.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 07:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The Eurasian ruffe, a fish species inadvertently introduced   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 07:30