Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 714 [81]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [28]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [24]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 714 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Re: The function f is defined for all nonzero x by the equation f(x) = x - [#permalink]
Quote:
Does all this make sense? Mike :-)

No :cry: hahaha

If there is an example plugging number, it could clarify a little more.

Thanks anyway
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The function f is defined for all nonzero x by the equation f(x) = x - [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
felippemed wrote:
the function \(f\) is defined for all nonzero x by the equation \(f(x) = x - \frac{1}{x}\). If \(x\neq{0}\), which of the following equals \(f(\frac{1}{x})\)?

A.\(f(x)\)
B. \(f(-x)\)
C. \(f(\frac{-1}{x})\)
D. \(\frac{1}{f(x)}\)
E. \(\frac{-1}{f(x)}\)

Dear felippemed,

This is a great question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

\(f(x) = x - \frac{1}{x}\)

When we plug 1/x into the argument of the function, the first time, x, becomes simply 1/x. The second term, 1/x, becomes 1/(1/x) = x. Thus,

\(f(\frac{1}{x}) = \frac{1}{x} - x = -(x - \frac{1}{x}) = -f(x)\)
Notice that -f(x) would be a valid choice, but that's not an answer. As it happens, when we simply put a negative sign, -x, into the argument, each term becomes negative, so in this instance, -f(x) = f(-x). (In Precalculus, this would tell us that the function's graph has odd symmetry, but this is beyond what you need to know for the GMAT).

Answer = (B)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike, I determined f(1/x) as (1/x)-x and then worked through the functions in answer choices, landing at B. Do you see any pitfalls to this approach?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [9]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Cez005 wrote:
Hi Mike, I determined f(1/x) as (1/x)-x and then worked through the functions in answer choices, landing at B. Do you see any pitfalls to this approach?

Dear Cez005,

I'm happy to respond.

You ask if there were any pitfalls. No and yes. I am sure your algebra was superb. The drawback is on a larger scale.

To discuss this, I will introduce the following distinction.

Left brain thinking = rule-based; good at step-by-step recipes and procedures; operates with logic and analysis; proceeds step-by-step

Right brain thinking = pattern-based; good at seeing complex connections and larger patterns; operates with analogy and association; proceeds by non-linear leaps

You can read more on this blog:
How to do GMAT Math Faster

You see, left-brain thinkers love to algebra, and they look for any opportunity to use algebra in a step-by-step solution. Even if all the algebra is flawless, the problem with this approach is that it often takes too long. In fact, the GMAT Quant, on higher level questions, loves to create question that are complete traps for someone who opts for the straightforward algebraic solution. This GMAT Prep problem is along these lines.

When I looked at the problem, I solved it in my head in under 10 seconds by observing the patterns. I tried to make this clear in my explanation.

I don't know you, so I don't know whether you are predominately a left-brain thinker. I will say the solution method you described was an extreme left-brain lengthy solution for a problem that can be completed quite quickly with a right-brain approach.

This is the paradox of growth. You are not really preparing for the GMAT if you keep doing the things that already come naturally to you. You improve by stretching yourself to get at least a little better in the areas that are completely unfamiliar.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Bump

Reading the method of plugging in makes a lot of sense and I understand that. I am having an issue going the algebraic route.

Can anyone explain why D is incorrect algebraically? (I sense this is a brain fart on my end but I can't figure it out)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
The function f is defined for all nonzero x by the equation f(x) = x - [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmathopeful19 wrote:
Bump

Reading the method of plugging in makes a lot of sense and I understand that. I am having an issue going the algebraic route.

Can anyone explain why D is incorrect algebraically? (I sense this is a brain fart on my end but I can't figure it out)

Dear gmathopeful19,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I believe you have fallen into what is known as a robust mistake. In pedagogical research, a robust mistake is one to which students return even after they have had a moment of fully understanding why it is wrong. Here is this particular mistake pattern:

\(\dfrac{1}{A + B} \neq \dfrac{1}{A} + \dfrac{1}{B}\)

Others include

\((A \pm B)^2 \neq A^2 \pm B^2\)

\(\sqrt{A \pm B} \neq \sqrt{A} \pm \sqrt{B}\)

All of these are incorrect overgeneralizations of the Distributive Law. The Distributive Law says that multiplication & division distribute over addition & subtraction.

\(C \times (A \pm B) = C \times A \pm C \times B\)

\(\dfrac{A \pm B}{C} = \dfrac{A}{C} \pm \dfrac{A}{C}\)

Multiplication & division distribute, but basically, nothing else distributes. All of these mistake are incorrect extensions of the pattern of the Distributive Law to things that don't distribute over addition & subtraction. Be very careful: even when you fully understand why the above mistakes are in fact mistakes, when you are tired or under stress, you mind almost on automatic pilot will think the mistake pattern is correct. It takes quite a bit of effort to root out a robust mistake.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmathopeful19 wrote:
Bump

Dear gmathopeful19,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I believe you have fallen into what is known as a robust mistake. In pedagogical research, a robust mistake is one to which students return even after they have had a moment of fully understanding why it is wrong. Here is this particular mistake pattern:

\(\dfrac{1}{A + B} \neq \dfrac{1}{A} + \dfrac{1}{B}\)

Others include

\((A \pm B)^2 \neq A^2 \pm B^2\)

\(\sqrt{A \pm B} \neq \sqrt{A} \pm \sqrt{B}\)

All of these are incorrect overgeneralizations of the Distributive Law. The Distributive Law says that multiplication & division distribute over addition & subtraction.

\(C \times (A \pm B) = C \times A \pm C \times B\)

\(\dfrac{A \pm B}{C} = \dfrac{A}{C} \pm \dfrac{A}{C}\)

Multiplication & division distribute, but basically, nothing else distributes. All of these mistake are incorrect extensions of the pattern of the Distributive Law to things that don't distribute over addition & subtraction. Be very careful: even when you fully understand why the above mistakes are in fact mistakes, when you are tired or under stress, you mind almost on automatic pilot will think the mistake pattern is correct. It takes quite a bit of effort to root out a robust mistake.

Yes I definitely know those rules ha. Long day I guess. Appreciate the help

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM